Start by marking “The Visitor” as Want to Read:
The Visitor

The Visitor

When a time traveler delivering an urgent message ends up in the wrong place at the wrong time, he is forced to leave his warning with the first person he meets.

The unintended recipient of the future warning (a simple corn farmer in 1899) now possesses knowledge of the future, including the assassination of President Kennedy. Will the farmer be able to prevent any of the
Published August 7th 2015 by Amazon

To ask other readers questions about The Visitor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Visitor

Start your review of The Visitor
zainab
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review-copies
Thanks to the author for sending me this book in exchange for an honest review.
What if we knew everything or anything about our future? We would certainly try to alter and reconstruct it the way we want.

This short story has been compared to Twilight Zone a lot but I have never watched it or didn't even know it existed. I'm a lover of sci-fi books and I haven't read many of the books about time-travel but I have always been fascinated by the idea so when the author approached me to read his story
JenacideByBibliophile
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Disclaimer: This book was sent to me by the author, J. L. Pattison, for an honest review.

Opinion: This is a wonderfully paced and written short story that surrounds the idea of what man might do if he was given a glimpse into the future. I am not huge on science fiction, and admittedly I do not read many short stories, but I found The Visitor rather entertaining and it left me with my mind reeling. I have found that if a story or book can keep you thinking after you have put it down, then there
Olivia Emily
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, sent-for-review
Read this review along with others on my blog by following this link: https://bibliomad.wordpress.com/

Yesterday, I was e-approached by the wonderful author, J.L Pattison, of this short story. He is an independent author, who has spent the last 15 months working to publish his very first story, The Visitor. I am honoured to be approached by such a fantastic writer, and also very happy to know that he is a fellow blogger, also.

I have always been very interested in novels relating to time travel, e
Yaasha Moriah
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
OVERALL OPINION
For a short story, it packs a punch. The story flowed well--no jarring elements--and the author used some interesting techniques that I felt strengthened the story overall. (More on that under THINGS I ESPECIALLY LIKED) Without spoiling the ending, I'll say that it resolves but not perhaps in the way that you would hope, though in a way that feels realistic and believable.

THINGS THAT COULD HAVE BEEN BETTER
In the beginning, the writing is a little adjective-heavy, but once the stor
Papaphilly
An excellent short story.

Imagine if you had all the answers to the future and did not believe it yourself and imagine that when you finally believe it, it is too late for you to do something about it. Imagine the regret you would feel and trying to tell someone that information to still change the future and they do not believe it either.

If the Twilight Zone still existed, this short story would be an episode, it is that good. J.L. Pattison has managed to pull off believable mundane characters
Peter  Younghusband
I love time travel novels. It was this that attracted me to this short story. The plot was also another factor, of course. Usually a time travel novel has its plot designed to alter history and its events. Such is the case with The Visitor. The author has a fascination with the assassination of President John F Kennedy and this is very nicely portrayed through the main character and the plot. It draws you in and you find yourself accepting the challenge of preventing JFK's assassination just as ...more
Keith
Sep 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
4.5 Stars!

The Visitor is well written and engaged me right from the beginning. Though short, the story was not at all rushed and it moved along at a nice, steady pace. The premise is interesting and I enjoyed how each character progressed from nonbeliever to believer in what the visitor had to say about the future of the USA. You could definitely relate to their initial skepticism, and you could really feel their anger as they came to believe in the information they received.

Enjoyable reading, a
Anne (w/ an E)
Oct 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, 5-stars-nfv
I really liked everything about this story. Other reviewers have said everything that I would say about it and l'm sure they have said it better than I could so I won't even try. Just know that this may be the best short story I have read. ...more
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've read novels that had time travel as theme or sub-plot (e.g. HP, Devil's Roses). Usually, in fantasy the protagonist goes back in time to save a person they love, to change an event that will affect them in the future, or by accident. In other words, most often than not, the protagonist goes back in time for his/hers own gain.

In The Visitor, one of the characters goes back in time to save United States as a country, and humankind. Mr. Blair -the time traveler- wanted to go back to the 18th c
Rebeca
Oct 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: review-requested
I have a big thing for characters. They are probably one of the most important aspects of a book to me, I need to know them and feel like they’re real in order to truly appreciate a book.

Not in The Visitor though. We barely get to really know Leroy, Theo and Quade but that doesn’t matter at all. The strong point of J. L. Pattison’s short story resides in its plot.

The Visitor won’t bring you a new story like we are used to read. It will mostly tell you historical events you already know of pretty
Chris
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recently-read
The author has crafted an excellent short story that captures your imagination and draws you in with its characters. You can find yourself asking what you would do if you had information about the future. Would you act on it, or would you refuse to believe it could happen? Well done.
Alexandre A. Loch
Mar 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Visitor was really a surprise for me. It has a good initial hook, which keeps you reading until you uncover all of its secrets. I would definitely recommend this very interesting short story.
Ian
This was a fascinating quick read. It works as a short story and I believe the theme of God's sovereignty is clearly communicated so in that respect it really didn't need to be any longer.

We visit a few different years in history and in each one there is an individual who is given information to the future and the opportunity to attempt to do something about changing it. I had to ask myself would I try to change it? If not, why not? A belief in God's sovereignty and that He has His hands on ever
Marian Stockhausen
Jan 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting quick read. Loved the history and connections to our concerns for the present. Offers an awareness. A great read!
Brennen Behimer
Sep 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This story is a great tale that will make you think about what you believe to be reality. Fast read. Lots of fun. I recommend it, especially if you are tired of reading the same old fiction.
Ken Doggett
Oct 19, 2016 rated it liked it
A reasonably entertaining read, but didn't go anywhere that other stories haven't gone before. As a short story, I'd say it's worth the read, but don't expect anything new. ...more
Kester Nucum
Aug 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
See the full review here on www.lilbooklovers.wordpress.com!

DISCLAIMER: I received a free copy of this short story from the author in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my review in any way.

In addition, I have requested, but not required, the author to subscribe and help publicize the book. I have also requested some authors for autographed bookplates and swag. These requests are outside of the trade agreement.

Rating: 8.5/10 stars

In J.L. Pattison's debut short story The Visito
Niles
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
A short story depicting one possible outcome of a time traveler ending up at the wrong place and the wrong century, however I find this scenario to be very believable. Our doomed traveler compiles a list of atrocities perpetrated by the government and wishes to hand this document to the founding fathers in order that they may change the development of our country. He instead ends up in a cornfield in middle America during the turn of the 20th century and is forced to leave his document with the ...more
J.L.
Jun 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: may-2016
Some short stories take a lot of information and parse it down into a quick, streamlined adventure. Some take a lot of information and pack it in to the point of leaving the reader to wonder why the author didn’t just go ahead and write a novel. Unfortunately, J.L. Pattison’s “The Visitor” was the latter for me.

I purchased this ebook based on a rave review on a book blog that I follow. The reviewer did not lie about this story’s good points, which include diverse characters that are easy to conn
Jay
Oct 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Disclosure: I received this book directly from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Pro:

The book is short, clocking in at a mere 22 standard-sized pages - less if white space at the end of chapters is removed. As such, it is easily read in one sitting.

The plot is compelling - I imagine Rod Sterling could adapt it quite nicely for an episode of the Twilight Zone.

It is a fun escape for a few moments.

Con:

If one watches enough Twilight Zone, certain endings are predictable. I was able t
v.geniebrown
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Good read

Short but worth the read,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,human error is a very real danger ................... ........................ .... . .. . .. .
Donna Rispoli
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful short story, very insightful. A must read.. Pulls you right in....
Violet
Aug 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was amazed at how well written this book was...so many twists and turns. I recommend this to anyone who loves to read books that do NOT end the way they think it should!
Howard Katzoff
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An incredible short read!

My heart is still racing after just reading this story. I don't want to ruin anything by doing a real review. I can only suggest that you read it.
Miracle
John
May 13, 2016
Mar 11, 2017

• The Marrow of Modern Divinity
J.L. Pattison is the author of suspenseful speculative fiction whose stories are garnering favorable comparisons to the works of M. Night Shyamalan and Rod Serling.

His first book, Saving Kennedy, weaves together the JFK assassination and time travel gone wrong, proving that meddling in the affairs of the past always has its consequences.

His sophomore release, The Island, dives headfirst into the