Start by marking “Deadly Gamble (Mojo, #1)” as Want to Read:
Deadly Gamble (Mojo, #1)

Deadly Gamble (Mojo #1)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  1,595 Ratings  ·  156 Reviews
Mojo's got an uncanny knack for winning at slots, but her home sweet home is Bad-Ass Bert's Biker Saloon. She'd love to go undercover with an irresistibly hot cop, but he's got baggage as big as his biceps. Mojo survived a mysterious childhood tragedy, but she's never quite figured out who she really is or how to get on with her life. Now the wisecracking Mojo is seeing gh ...more
Published January 1st 2008 by HQN (first published November 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Deadly Gamble, please sign up.

Susan
Good book with a slightly slow start as all the characters get introduced. The book is categorized as a romance, but I feel it is more a romantic suspense, with more emphasis on the suspense than the romance. Still, I really enjoyed it. Mojo is trying to get her life together again. She is currently living above a biker bar and eking out a living doing medical billing from her home. Her divorce from her cheating, now dead, ex-husband Nick left her with a lot of debt that she's still paying off, ...more
Julie
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first novel by Linda Lael Miller. Up until recently I never read anything with a western theme and L. L. Miller writes many contemporary and historical western themed romances. The cover of this novel would suggest this book was also western themed. Well, don't judge a book by it's cover.
Deadly Gamble is a contemporary romantic suspense novel.
Mojo Sheepshanks, has a lot going on in her life. She witnessed her parents being murdered when she was five. She has no memory of what happene
Megan
This book is just one of those entertaining reads. It's got doses of good humor, and a plot that leaves you guessing (although I guessed right thank you) until the end. It is the story of Mojoe Sheepshanks, a name that is good enough to recommend the book on, a woman who's knowledge base is formed by 'damn fool's guides' books. She is a quirky character who lives in a cast of similarly quirky people. Mojoe's start is more tragic than commic as we learn early in the book she witnessed the violent ...more
Ann Marie
Oct 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Great book! Edgy, fast read. Mojo Sheepshanks seems like an everyday train wreck. Her half brother admitted to murdering her parents when she was five. Her babysitter abducted her to keep her safe. Her cop boyfriend relationship is on and off. Surprising and full of roller coaster raw emotion. I picked up the sequel right after I finished this. I couldn't wait to see where Mojo's story goes.
Jane Doe
First this is not a romance suspense story. It reminded me of 1st Grave on the Left only not nearly as good. Way to many things going on. The flow was confusing and seriously how many guys does one women need that have wacko ex's. The ending was a cliffhanger about the relationship that was supposed to be romantic. I might read the next one....but probably not. I have heard so many great things about this author so I will try some of her other series.
Chloe
I may have been biased about this book from the start- and I am guilty of judging a book by its cover. I thought I would get a romance novel with a side of crime mystery, but I got a crime mystery with a (too small) side of romance.

Also with all the focus of the title and the description on the back cover on the setting being a small town in Arizona, I expected more the story to incorporate more aspects of living life in small town Arizona.

What bugged me the most though was how the suspense was
Pj Ausdenmore
In DEADLY GAMBLE, Miller introduces us to Mojo Sheepshanks. Mojo is a young woman who is an intriguing blend of tough, independent, stubborn and vulnerable with a bit of rebel thrown in, a perfect fit for modern day Arizona. At the age of five she witnessed the brutal murder of her parents, which she has blocked from memory. She was kidnapped by her babysitter, Lillian, who feared for her safety. She was given a new name, Mojo Sheepshanks, and spent her life moving from one town to the next with ...more
Christina T
Oct 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Having been a fan of paranormal for many years I have read tons of vampire/werewolf type books and although many are so wonderful they tend to spend all eternity on my keeper shelf I tend to have a soft spot in my heart for other types of paranormal books. The ones that center around some sort of psychic activity really intrigues me. I admit, I love shows like Medium and The Ghost Whisperer and reading books along the same lines is just right up my alley.

Mojo Sheepshanks wakes up one day (or nig
Carol Malone
Oct 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There’s no story teller quit like Linda Lael Miller and she’s at the top of her game with the Mojo Sheepshanks series. I sure hope she continues with a third novel soon—I’m dying here. And that’s the perfect tie into this wonderful story. Mojo, through a set of very unfortunate circumstances has come to reside above a biker bar in a small town in Arizona. She can’t remember her brutal childhood where she witnessed an unspeakable crime committed on her parents. But she does remember being spirite ...more
Kerri
Sep 07, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So if you can get through the first half of this book you are golden. In my opinion the first half is awful. The main character has an infuriating personality. She throws fits about little things and she doesn’t know how to deal with the truth. I just wanted to say, “Mojo, you are not a child, stop throwing temper tantrums. If you don’t want to be a billing clerk then do something about it, but you don’t have a knack for being a private investigator .So quit talking about it like that was yo ...more
jenjn79
Mar 27, 2008 marked it as on-hold
Recommended to jenjn79 by: author I like
After peaking at the end of this book, and the end of book 2, I decided to put this series on hold for now. When I read romance, I want an HEA and so far, this series doesn't have it. The relationship still appears to be unsettle when book 2 ends. I don't really feel like reading something like that right now. Plus, first-person stories (romances) drive me nuts. And on top of that, from what I can tell, these books are told solely from the heroine's POV. I hate that! It makes me feel so disconne ...more
Teresa Snyder
I'm really disappointed. Based on reviews and the author stating Mojo was her favorite character, I expected this to be the best book. Ever. Not even close! As far as mystery and suspense, I figured out the bad guy early in the book. As far as romance, it's almost nonexistent! I don't much care for Mojo, and I don't particularly care for Tucker and his beyond odd family life - ex-wife and twins. The books ending was HORRIBLE! It certainly wasn't a happily-ever-after ending.

Im going to read book
Chris
Better than expected mystery. Woman wakes up to find the ghost of her husband in bed with her. That in itself is enough the capture the imagination. Mojo Sheepshanks is a fun character, as are her dead husband, her current boyfriend, her crazy sisters, and an assortment of people who seem to be trying to kill her. The fact that Mojo can't remember a lot about her childhood before the point where her parents were murdered sets up a tale of rediscovery for Mojo and an introduction to Mojo's world ...more
Michelline
Aug 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is one of LLM's more different writing styles. The normal endless romance aspects are not as featured in this novel. There's a few chapters that touch on Mojo's relationship with Tucker, but it's not overwhelming.

I really like that she incorporates the ghosts into the novel. It's corny but not at the same time.

I will be reading book two at some point.
Virginia Muñoz
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good plot line, thought the story was creative. Mojo's flashbacks always added a curveball into the story and took it off into a direction you weren't expecting. I'm usually able to correctly guess who the "bad guy" is, but this story had me guessing and then second guessing. The added element of the ex husband and the cat into the story added a nice variety to the mix and good segue to another book.
Nancy
If Stephanie Plum had a western sister, she would be Mojo Sheepshanks, sans stable loving family. This is a sassy romp of mystery, psychic visions, romance, and family disfunction. Mojo has been down on her luck her entire mysterious life and it all coalesces when her dead ex shows up in her bedroom. Fun read.
Mrs. Garen L. Herd
Good read

Mystery, funny, sad, a little sex. Our heroine doesn't remember her parents' murder.....she was only 5. Her half brother confessed, served his time, and is now out for revenge. Our hero says he's a cop, but is he? Problems abound with everyone involved. Highly recommend.l
Karen
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very entertaining, romantic mystery. It is entertaining and really holds your interest.
Audrey02
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is fun., I wish there were more then 2... :(
Carol Risez
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Different from what I've come to expect from LLM. Mojo Sheepshanks, her two sisters, her dead ex-husband's ghost (Nick), her dead cst's ghost (Chester), her on-hiatus boyfriend (Tucker). A fun romp with a bit of muster and action. I read it in two days. Snatched me right up! I liked its lot. Looking for the next one now.
Amy
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Warning: this book is categorized all wrong. This is NOT a romance! It says "Romance" on the outside cover. This is misleading. I repeat; This is NOT a romance. It should be labeled: Mystery thriller.
There is a spot or two of casual sex between the woman who calls herself "Mojo" and a guy she identifies as "Tucker", but there is no relationship development between these two characters. They just see each other occasionally. She has more of a relationship with the ghost of her ex-husband Nick th
Rhonda Soukup
Apparently the first of a series about Mojo - a girl who cannot remember the violent murders of her parents when she 5 or 6. Linda Leal Miller writes good suspense/romance novels. The mystery is unraveled and there is a hunky love interest there to lend a hand.
Karen Peavler
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not real sure about this series. Going to try next book but my rating is between a 3 and a 4.
Nicci
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was really surprised with how much I liked this book.
C.A.
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite a different story from this author. This one includes a "Paranormal" theme, with a bit more suspense and intrigue.

Enjoyed it, it kept me interested
Carolynn
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Linda Lael Miller writes in several genres, and this book crosses multiple lines--mystery, paranormal, and romance, but in a very convincing style that keeps you turning the pages to find out what happens next.

Mojo Sheepshanks had an early introduction to trauma and loss, with the violent death of her parents when she was five. She keeps rocking with the blows that fate has for her, then getting up and getting on with things. She keeps trying to find ways to make her life come out "normal," eve
Betty
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Betty by: Sent to me for review

Deadly Gamble
Linda Lael Miller

HQN
November 2006

Linda Lael Miller brings ghosts to the table of this reading delight. When Mojo Sheepshanks was five years old she was a witness to her parent’s murders. – then she was known as Mary Jo . The child was found hiding in a clothes dryer, drenched in blood. Later, her half-brother, Geoff, confessed to the killings and was sent to Juvenile Detention.

Mojo was raised by a neighbor, Lillian, who took the child and went underground, after changing both of th
Cruth
Author: Linda Lael Miller
First published: 2006
Length: 399 pages, 4699 kindle locations
Setting: Contemporary. Cave Creek, Arizona.
Sex: Explicit. Reasonably frequent.
Hero: Undercover Cop.
Heroine: Book keeper.
Paranormal: Mojo sees (and interacts with) ghosts.
Trigger: Violent deaths

I don't usually like books written in first person, but I was half way through the second book before I realised these books were. Which was a pleasant surprise.

Really liked the two books. Wish there was more to the serie
Jessi
First line: "At first, the chill was a drowsy nibble at the distant and ragged edges of my awareness, raising goosebumps on the parts of my flesh bared to that spring night."

With a heroine named Mojo Sheepshanks, I just knew I was in for a good time with this book, and I was right. Mojo is a loner with a bleak past who takes herself not at all seriously. Throw in the fact that she can suddenly see the ghost of her ex-husband and her childhood cat and you have an outrageous story that is a lot of
Liisa
Apr 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the "Stephanie Plum" series by Janet Evanovich
Recommended to Liisa by: My friend Marleen
"Deadly Gamble" is written in the same formula as the very funny and popular Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich.

Instead of Stephanie, we have Mojo Sheepshanks; a likeable (& bumbling) Medical Billings Clerk (and part-time P.I.) who sees dead people!

Rather than Trenton, New Jersey, Mojo lives in Arizona ... and above Bad-Ass Bert's Biker Saloon to boot!

And finally, instead of Jersey cop Joe Morelli, we have the Narcotics Cop, Tucker who gives as good as he gets.

I don't say this to be
  • Shadows in the Starlight (Changeling #2)
  • Eight of Swords
  • The Texan (Bitter Creek, #2)
  • Return of the Stardust Cowgirl  (Lucy Hatch, #4)
  • Never Say Never (Callahan Brothers, #2)
  • Pearl Jinx (Jinx, #2; Cajun, #6)
  • With a Vengeance
  • The Summit (Paranormal Series II, #2)
  • Summer Sensations: Overload, The Leopard's Woman, Lonesome Rider
  • All That Matters (Moretti #2)
  • Second Sunrise (Lee Nez, #1)
  • Absolutely, Positively (Lucy Valentine, #3)
  • In Our Dreams
  • One Fine Cowboy
  • To Wed in Texas (McLain #3)
  • My Lady Beloved
  • Thunder Moon (Nightcreature, #8)
The daughter of a town marshal, LINDA LAEL MILLER is a #1 New York Times bestselling author of more than 100 historical and contemporary novels, most of which reflect her love of the West. The "First Lady of the West" lives outside Spokane, Washington, where her rescued horses, dogs and cats live the high life.

Published since 1983, Linda was awarded the prestigious Nora Roberts Lifetime Achievemen
More about Linda Lael Miller...

Mojo (2 books)
  • Deadly Deceptions (Mojo #2)