Start by marking “Catch as Cat Can (Sunny & Shadow Mystery #5)” as Want to Read:
Catch as Cat Can (Sunny & Shadow Mystery #5)

Catch as Cat Can

(Sunny & Shadow Mystery #5)

The new Sunny and Shadow mystery from the New York Times bestselling author of Hiss and Tell and Last Licks.

When a new seafood shop opens in Kittery Harbor, Maine, Sunny’s tomcat Shadow is on the hunt for tasty treats—until Sunny discovers a cold-blooded killer’s catch of the day.

Mass Market Paperback, 279 pages

By Claire Donally
ISBN 9780425276075
Brought to you by OBS reviewer Jeanie

Synopsis:

Neil Garret is new to town, but his seafood shop is already going belly up. Working next door, former reporter Sunny Coolidge can’t help noticing the tellt
Betty
Fish Store And Shadow.

Shadow's and Sunny's adventures always keep me entrain. This book did not disappoint. Shadow is an escape artist when wants to do something. He has found a new fish store, next to Sunny's office It is irresistible and he often manages to find his way to the store. On day while waiting for it to open, Someone grabs him by his neck and he is in grave danger of losing his life. The tale takes twist at this point we have federal marshals in town to protect an important witness
Betty
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cats, cozy, e-books, own
Shadow's and Sunny's adventures always keep me entrain. This book did not disappoint. Shadow is an escape artist when wants to do something. He has found a new fish store, next to Sunny's office It is irresistible and he often manages to find his way to the store. On the day, while waiting for it to open, Someone grabs him by his neck and he is in grave danger of losing his life. The tale takes a twist at this point we have federal marshals in town to protect an important witness. The Russian mo ...more
Lisa Ks Book Reviews
Apr 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another enjoyable tale from author Claire Donally.

Fans of kitty cozies are really going to like the Sunny & Shadow Mysteries. Not only does the series follow protagonist Sunny, readers also get to hear cat Shadow’s thoughts on things. It’s a fun twist for a series to let us in on what the pet is thinking.

CATCH AS CAT CAN is another delightful installment to the Sunny & Shadow series. With a well written and thoughts out plot, I second guessed myself a couple of times before I made it t
AngryGreyCat
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I had forgotten how much I enjoyed Claire Donally’s Sunny and Shadow Mystery series until I picked up book 5 series, Catch as Cat Can. Shadow is a great snarky counterpoint to even keeled Sunny. There is a great deal of humor in Shadow’s thoughts about the behavior of all the two legs in his life. This mystery involves witness protection, gangsters, loan sharking, and more in the small fishing village in Maine. Mike, Sunny’s Dad, is still a recurring presence in Sunny’s life and the series, alon ...more
Teresa
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction-mystery
Fun cozy, I enjoy these books.
The author does a great job with Shadow's perspective and she has wonderful character development. Each book in the series is equally as satisfying.
Hope there are more!
Jeanie
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: obs
Loved this latest novel in the series! Sunny is a great pet owner, as is her dad (in spite of his mumbling). I admire Sunny for returning home to help her dad, and Chief Inspector Will Price for his dedication to his job and loyalty to Sunny and her family - both two and four legged.

What I probably enjoy the most is seeing Shadow's perspective, as a cat who gets involved in every mystery and does what he can to help his 'two-legged' best gal. This author has watched and 'listened' to cats long e
NancyDrew
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fifth book EXCELLENT!!!!!.....

This is the last,(so far),of the Sunny and Shadow books,and I am SO SAD to see this WONDERFUL series end,and WISH WISH WISH it would continue!!!!!.....this book was just as suspenseful as the previous four,with a really good twist of ? at the end!!!!!.....WISH for more in this series!!!!!.....
Susan Johnston
Nov 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Princess Fuzzypants here:
Many of the books I read and review are sent to meow by the publishers. I am always honest 'cuz it's impawtant to share what I like and don't like. That way, if your tastes are similar, mew will likely enjoy the same things.
Some series I buy 'cuz I just happen to love the characters. The Sunny and Shadow series by Claire Donally is one such series.
We finished Catch as Cat Can a few days ago and I want to review it here. Shadow adopts Sunny when she returns to her small M
Sheree Martin
If you enjoy cozy mysteries, I definitely recommend this one.

I discovered "cozy mysteries" about 10-12 years ago. Didn't know that was a genre, until one (maybe?) turned up in my Amazon recommendations after buying a bunch of nonfiction books about cats and dogs.

Anyway, I'd always loved Agatha Christie when I was a kid/teen, so I read the first, then another, then suddenly my new "guilty pleasure" was reading cozy mysteries featuring cats in the plot.

The Sunny and Shadow mystery series came l
Ellen Moore
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I like this series and enjoyed this book. A dead body is discovered in the freezer of the seafood shop next door to Sunny's office; she goes to collect the rent for her boss and is present. She and Will work together and solve the crime. There are many twists and turns and a new character, Mrs. M's daughter from California.
Margaret
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
A new fish store opens in Kittery Harbor. Sunny is glad for the business, and Shadow is glad for the treats. Then a man is found dead in the freezer of the store. Who was he and why was he here? Who killed him and why? Sunny and her boyfriend, police detective Will Price, are on the case. A fun read with interesting characters and a quirky town.
Nancy Haddock
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another wonderful installment in the series - and I'm just bummed because I can't find a book #6. Sunny, Will, and the gang are at it again. Shadow is his usual darling self and contributes to saving the day once more. I'm going to pass these books on to my library, but I will long remember and still love this series!
Dennis Fischman
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, mystery
Definitely read the earlier books in the series first, but if you have, this one will entertain you. Some old characters return, some new ones show up, and two murders I thought would end up being unconnected (and that would be the twist) actually relate in a surprising and satisfying way. And Shadow gets to be a hero while remaining an entirely realistic and loveable cat.
Kat
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in basically one day-it was great!! I've read all 5 books in less then 3 weeks, I can't wait till the next book comes out - keep them coming!
Tina Miller
Jun 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Using a bad guy from the witness protection program with marshals popping in and out made an interesting story. I had to wait on a list to get it from the library a second time.
Vontel
Nov 28, 2016 rated it liked it
What can I say? Every once in a while I succumb to a cozy, especially considering what else is in my reading pile.

Actually pretty good. There are others in this series.
E.
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
“Catch as Cat Can” is a fun cozy mystery that centers around Sunny Coolidge, who has moved back to Kittery Harbor in Maine to help her dad. Ably assisted by her furry sidekick, Shadow, Sunny uses her well-honed instincts from her journalistic days to investigate the fishy circumstances surrounding a dead body found in a rental space handled by Sunny’s company. Investigator Will Price has no qualms about accepting his girlfriend Sunny’s assistance, and knows that wherever she is, Shadow is soon t ...more
Crittermom
May 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Cat lovers definitely should pick up a copy of this purrfectly thrilling mystery.

Sunny and her inimitable tomcat Shadow are back in Catch as Cat Can, Claire Donnally's newest Kittery Harbor mystery. This new addition is just as good as her previous mysteries, and is a good choice for newcomers who enjoy cozies as well as fans of the series. Not only is the mystery well-composed, but Donally does a marvelous job depicting Shadow's point of view. While ruled by his stomach, desire for comfort and
Peggy R
This is a wonderful series and this book is a terrific addition. I was not disappointed. The author has crafted well developed, dimensional characters that feel comfortable and familiar. When you pick up one of these books it is almost like sitting down to catch up with old friends, except these friends are usually solving a murder. Ms. Donally has also done an great job with allowing these characters to grow and continue to develop, which can be a challenge with a longer running series.

The sto
Paul Lunger
May 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
The 5th of Claire Donally's "Sunny & Shadow" mysteries, "Catch as Cat Can", starts off with neighboring business owner Neil Garrett finding Shadow with a piece of rope around his neck. It's this event at the beginning that takes us down a road involving a murdered victim found in the freezer of that fish market & the witness protection program among others. Donally does a good job of keeping true to the characters & charm of Kittery Harbor as well as writing in an ice storm which pla ...more
KyBunnies
I have enjoyed this series but I am a little shocked to know that the police freely shared info about someone in the WitSec program. Yes I know this is fiction and it gives the author the right to put things however they want. Does not mean I have to like how they wrote the story.

Again I love, love Shadow. I so wish the male cat who lives in my house was a little more like Shadow.

Now I will try and patiently wait for the next book in the series.

I recommend this book to all who enjoy a cozy my
Gloria
Jun 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a cute series. Sunny, a free lance reporter, and Shadow, her rescue cat, solve another murder or two. You can almost feel the cold of the Maine winter as the first body shows up in the freezer of the fish store next door. Shadow has never recovered from his wanderlust and this always puts him in perilous situations. He does find himself in the position to rescue Sunny from the bad guy in each installment. Her boyfriend cop, who Shadow refers to as Sunny's He, helps solve the crimes.
Susan
Aug 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-maine
Former reporter Sunny is now living quietly in Maine with her father and rescue cat Shadow, working at a tourist booking agency. Next door to her workplace, a newcomer is trying to run a fish store--and Shadow approves. But when Sunny goes next door to talk to him, they find a dead man in his freezer. With the help of her cop boyfriend Will, Sunny eventually figures out just what's going on in their quiet seaside town, despite wintry weather and ice storms. Shadow is one of the more realistic ca ...more
Sherry
May 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely Catch This One!

Being a cat lover drew me to this series. I love the sections told from Shadow's point of view. However, a thrilling mystery kept me continuing to read this series! Sunny & BF newly promoted Detective Will Price again find themselves embroiled in murder & intrigue. I couldn't help getting drawn in with many plot twists & turns. Absolutely catch this one!
Janet
One of Donally’s more...far-fetched plots. It’s a good read, don’t get me wrong, but there were some elements that strained my credibility just a bit. I had a hard time following all the intricacies of the usual “final reveal” of the criminals and what their crimes were. Maybe I just wasn’t paying close enough attention.
Kathie
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was the best grownup cozy mystery I have read in a long time. The subject matter was believable and the character were mostly believable. The dialog between the characters seemed like normal conversation and not stilted. And the kitty saves the day.
Di
May 14, 2016 rated it liked it
First of this series that I've tried and almost didn't finish it! The characters were interesting enough but the story and plot didn't really keep my attention. I did find Shadow's "voice" interesting.

Received free copy from Penguin Cozy Mysteries.
Lora Lawrence
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I just love the cat named Shadow , Boy he is so funny in this book and the other that i have read of Claire Donally's books I also like Sunny , Mike and Will to . I love reading mystery books that has the cats helping the moms out of tight jams .
Aera
May 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Started off really slow. It didn't help that all the main characters were cold and bland. They were aloof & had zero chemistry with one another but then by the 200 page mark, the story started to pick up and the mystery portion became interesting but overall, it left one feeling detached. Meh.

• A Midwinter's Tail (A Magical Cats Mystery, #6)
  • Cat With a Clue (A Bookmobile Cat Mystery, #5)
  • Words With Fiends (Black Cat Bookshop Mystery, #3)
  • Kittens Can Kill (Pru Marlowe, #5)
  • Telling Tails (Second Chance Cat Mystery, #4)
  • The Dog Who Knew Too Much (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #2)
  • To Die Fur (Whiskey, Tango & Foxtrot Mystery, #2)
  • The Bark Before Christmas (A Melanie Travis Mystery, #18)
  • Six Cats a Slayin' (Cat in the Stacks, #10)
  • Fat Cat Spreads Out (A Fat Cat Mystery #2)
  • Spinning in Her Grave (A Haunted Yarn Shop Mystery #3)

Sunny & Shadow Mystery (5 books)
  • The Big Kitty (Sunny & Shadow Mystery, #1)
  • Cat Nap (Sunny & Shadow Mystery, #2)
  • Last Licks (Sunny & Shadow Mystery, #3)
  • Hiss and Tell (Sunny & Shadow Mystery, #4)