Start by marking “Shattered Spear (The Lost Stars, #4)” as Want to Read:
Shattered Spear (The Lost Stars, #4)

Shattered Spear (The Lost Stars #4)

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  1,442 Ratings  ·  71 Reviews
The New York Times bestselling author of The Lost Fleet returns to the “strong saga”* of a rebellion against a totalitarian regime and the determination of two people to create a better future in the farthest reaches of the colonized galaxy...

The Syndicate Worlds continue to splinter as more star systems pledge allegiance to President Gwen Iceni, General Artur Drakon,
Published May 3rd 2016 by Ace

Daniel
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fin završetak ovog pod serijala. Glavni tokovi priče su fino razjašnjeni mada ima još nejasnih detalja kao i sve ukupna priča za koju čekamo natavak.

Tempo knjige je odličan, od početka kada uhvati ne pušta do kraja. Prikaz borbi velikih brodova na ogromnim razdaljinama svemira je dosta uverljivo prikazano mada ne bi ulazio u to kolko je moguće sa realnim zakonima fizike. Ali malo zažmuriti na jedno oko i ne smeta :)

Šteta što će pisac da pravi pauzu u ovom serijalu pošto ne mogu da dočekam da se
Liana
May 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful ending to a very enjoyable series. I enjoyed the characters, watching them grow, learn, and dare over the series. So much action! Now I must wait for the next book in his Young Adult series ("Pillars of Reality") which appears on the face of it to be fantasy, but which I have decided is a blend of fantasy and science fiction, or perhaps simply disguised science fiction, It is, however, quite addictive, and has two (?) books left in the series. It would seem that I am always waiting f ...more
Tommy
Mar 14, 2017 rated it liked it
This has been a good series but it's getting a bit long in the tooth. Lots unnecessary references to past events that are not relevant to the current story arc and the characters and stories themselves aren't as good as in days gone by.
Jean
Jun 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
I think this is the last book in the Lost Star series. I hate to think this is the end. Between the Lost Fleet series and the Lost Star series the characters have absorbed me into their world and I do not want to leave them. The books in the series must be read in order to fully understand the story line.

Midway Star system is facing multiple threats not only from the Syndicate Worlds but from a female pirate who has taken over three neighboring worlds and hates Gwen Iceni, and from a former Synd
MAB  LongBeach
Fourth book in The Lost Stars--a side-series to Campbell's long-running Lost Fleet series--focusing on the planet Midway, which has broken away from the faltering, repressive Syndicate Worlds. President Iceni and General Drakon, former Syndicate CEO's, are learning how to build a functional government based on trust instead of fear. They are making progress, but although the long war with the Alliance has ended, peace--an almost forgotten concept--is still far away. The Syndicate Worlds want the ...more
Bee
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gold
Jack Campbell brings the Lost Stars saga to a deserved 5-star end with Shattered Spear.

A compelling story in its own right and fitting end to the saga of the Lost Stars, a companion series, that takes place in the Lost Fleet universe.

I loved this series even more than the excellent Lost Fleet / Beyond The Frontier series of books, as The Lost Stars had a wider scope of interpersonal conduct, political passion and personal motivations than the original series, which stayed closer to the militari
Argus
Mar 30, 2016 rated it liked it
You know how a lot of popular Shonen anime has this thing where the anime gets popular and outpaces the manga, and so they end up doing large arcs that take months or sometimes years, and can sometimes have cool character development, but don't really advance the main plot in a significant way?

This felt like that.

I had fun reading it. It certainly isn't BAD. There are some great lines that really made me laugh. And it even does move up and even cap off a few plots. But it kinda feels like the bo
Rob Trans
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
In the aftermath of a human-human intergalactic war, this book continues the story of two leaders of a crumbling interplanetary syndicate who have decided to rebel and take over a star system. This describes the continuing challenges they encounter in establishing a freer society that protects rather than exploits its citizens. The challenges include internal betrayal, attempts by the syndicate to take the star system back, a devious alien race that wants to destroy all human life near their bor ...more
Mike Franklin
Shattered Spear is the fourth book in Campbell’s Lost Stars series, a spinoff from his Lost Fleet series. Led by President Iceni and General Drakon, the Midway star system continues to consolidate its rebellion against the Syndicate Worlds. The threat of those Syndicate Worlds is compounded by the hostile alien Enigmas setting up a new base in a neighbouring star system and the appearance of an apparently hostile warlord in the next system over from that.

With the Midway space fleet now much more
Cam
Oct 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-sci-fi
Another fun entry in this serial set in the newly independent Midway star system and nearby systems. Many threats still bedevil Iceni and Drakon, including the former Syndicate Worlds forces, the neighboring alien Enigmas, and a new local rival assembling her own coalition of star systems. One by one, each challenge is met and overcome in one risky way or another. Iceni and Drakon decide to tie the knot, as do Bradamont and Rogero. Midway learns more about the enigmas and strengthens it's associ ...more
Boulder Boulderson
This is one of the more enjoyable ofthe series - the first half is a little slow, but the second really picks up. Campbell does re-use a battle tactic/situation from an earlier novel, but to be honest he's fifteen books into the series, and it's not a hugely important fight so that's probably ok.

Generally speaking, exciting fights and a satisfying ending which wraps up a few lose ends that have been dangling for a while. It doesn't drive the Dancer/Enigma plot forward any more, despite largely b
Techeon
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't normally write a review or give books 5 stars but I doing both for this.
I really started thinking these spin offs would be basic and just another way to sell the same story twice but I was so wrong about that.
I ended up enjoying these books a lot and the last book I really enjoyed so much that I did not want it to end.
The characters are well written and if I'm truthful probably what I liked the must about these books. Even though it's the military engagements that attracts me to these
BrokenMnemonic
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On the one hand, it appears to be a foregone conclusion in all of the Jack Campbell novels I've read so far that the good guys will win, in some fashion. That means reading through the books is more about seeing how they win, rather than whether they'll win. This was still fun though, seeing sub-plots come to a head, and it was a nice change to have the enigma aliens back in the mix as an antagonist. Looks like Syndicate ISS officers have a pretty short career span in this new age though...
Fredrick Danysh
May 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Having won their independence from the Syndicate with the assistance of Admiral "Black Jack" Geary, the Midway star system now faces conflict from three sources. The Syndicate will try to regain control and a pirate is operating in a nearby system. After suffering severe damage in a battle with the enigma, the Dancers warns of possible invasion by the anti-human enigma. Add to the mix attempted assassination of Midway's leaders.
Brandon
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this series, but I was very disappointed in the ending. One of the outstanding plot points that I was really looking forward to seeing resolved ended up being taken care of within the last 5 pages of the book. This felt incredibly rushed and lazy to me and I would've loved to see it fleshed out.
Paul,
Jun 30, 2017 rated it liked it
HaHA, the enigmas are back. And still being very enigmatic. This book lacked some of the punch that others had, and a few too many deux ex machina moments, but I liked it anyway. The only downer was the clumsy (IMO) ending. Also, accidentally read this before book 3, which created a bit of confusion. Whoops.
james c. dascoli
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Satisfying conclusion to Lost Stars series

A solid and satisfying conclusion to the 4 book Lost Stars series offshoot from The Lost Fleet. Ending felt a little rushed, as usual some interesting and enjoyable plot twists.
Michael Barnett
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: space-opera
A good ending to a fun series. While I know Mr. Campbell is writing a prequel now, I can't wait for him to pick this story up again.
Patricia Litz
Dec 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Had trouble because was not able to start with beginning. So now I am going back to Black Jack Geary. The story is about trust and ability to start over working with former enemies.
Adam Vanderlip
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
this series is like crack, can't get enough. so sad it's over after like 13 books.
Curtis Weldon
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoy following this book series about trying for peace in space.
John
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really very good. Fantastic character development. Good new characters, plenty of setup for more stories!
William Walter
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoy the somewhat different plot line for this tangent series, although many of the author's technical descriptions are repetitious over these and the many books of the parallel Lost Fleet series.
Woody James
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sorry to see the end to this series.
Michelle
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm very happy with the ending. A very good read.
John Purvis
Jun 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
“Shattered Spear” eBook was published in 2016 and was written by Jack Campbell (pseudonym for John G. Hemry http://www.jack-campbell.com). Mr. Campbell has published 25 novels. This is the 4th novel in his “Lost Stars” series.

I received a galley of this novel for review through https://www.netgalley.com. I categorize this novel as ‘PG’ because it contains scenes of Violence. This novel is set in the far future in the world Campbell created for his “Lost Fleet” series. The primary characters are
Pedro Marroquín
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cuando estaba a punto de olvidarme de esta serie, va el Autor y hace su mejor libro, con intrigas, batallas espaciales y todo tipo de aliens paseándose por la narrativa. Nada, a seguir con la serie para ver si vuelve a hacer un libro parecido. B+
Anand Chelian
This series has been in the air over a shark, and for me, I think it came down on the other side. In other words, it just jumped the shark.

The dialog is stilted and reads like badly written political screeds from the twentieth century (and earlier). It feels like poorly written Socratic dialog, with heroic characters slaying straw men with broad strokes of the writer's pen.

The Syndics (corporations) are mustache twirling evil people using people's commissars like the Soviet Union did. The heroes
David
Jun 12, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Fourth entry in Jack Campbell/John Hemrys spin-off series from 'The Lost Fleet' series (and I've lost count of what entry number this is in total), this is set back in what-used-to-be Syndicate Space, with The Syndicate themselves (as always) coming across as Stalin-era Soviets.

While they do put in an appearance, they're not actually the maion threat in this entry - rather, that is provided in the form of the alien Enigmas who, previous novels have shown, are to blame for the centuries-long war
Daniel
Jul 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf, military
I have been reading books of this series for a long time (I remember reading some of the first books of the Lost Fleet series way back in 2008). I still enjoy them and find that this spin-off series, "The Lost Stars", adds an interesting element to the universe. The characters aren't just "naturally" (yes, that is an over/underwhelming explanation of Jack Geary's skill set) good like Jack, and this tells the stories from the nominal bad guys. At this point I find myself cheering (the non-snake) ...more
  • A Call to Arms (Honorverse: Manticore Ascendant, #2)
  • Unrelenting (Kris Longknife, #13)
  • Trial by Fire (Tales of the Terran Republic, #2)
  • Dark Matter (Star Carrier, #5)
  • The Empire's Corps (The Empire's Corps, #1)
  • Master Sergeant: The Makaum War: Book One
  • Brothers in Valor
  • An Ancient Peace (Peacekeeper, #1; Confederation, #6)
  • Renegade (The Spiral Wars, #1)
  • The View from the Imperium (Imperium, #1)
  • Stark's Command (Stark's War, #2)
  • Inherit the Stars
  • The Chaplain's War
Jack Campbell is a pseudonym for American science fiction author John G. Hemry.

John G. Hemry is an American author of military science fiction novels. Drawing on his experience as a retired United States Navy officer, he has written the Stark's War and Paul Sinclair series.
More about Jack Campbell

The Lost Stars (4 books)
  • Tarnished Knight (The Lost Stars, #1)
  • Perilous Shield (The Lost Stars, #2)
  • Imperfect Sword (The Lost Stars, #3)