Start by marking “Riot. Strike. Riot.: The New Era of Uprisings” as Want to Read:
Riot. Strike. Riot.: The New Era of Uprisings

Riot. Strike. Riot.: The New Era of Uprisings

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  81 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Ferguson. Tottenham. Clichy-Sous-Bois. Oakland. Within capital’s core, the riot looms increasingly large within the repertoire of struggles. Rather than inchoate spasms or immiserated absence of the revolutionary idea, this book locates the riot within longue durée of capitalist transformation: facts not failures. Just as the turn to the strike two centuries ago signaled r ...more
Published May 3rd 2016 by Verso

To ask other readers questions about Riot. Strike. Riot., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Riot. Strike. Riot.

Kyle
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Materialism for insurrectionists.

Up until about Chapter 7, I felt about this book the way I imagine some people feel about Tiqqun or Invisible Committee, a good read not so much for the analysis but for the poetry of language (I'm not really a fan of either of the former's writing or analysis so I'm assuming). By the end I was broadly convinced. The main strength of this book is where so much contemporary anarchist literature fails, in not glamourizing struggle, an approach easily dismissed by c
Hami
Jul 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Very well written, Joshua Clover has gathered a lot of interesting and diverse topics related to historic and contemporary Riots and Strikes. The most memorable and interesting parts of this book for me were the sources that was referenced by the writer to further clarify the point. Overall I recommend this book to everyone, also a great read to further understand political economy in relation to workers movements in historic and contemporary Riots.
Jordan
Clover's analysis of rioting and striking and how they relate is in-depth and insightful but is one of the worst examples of using unnecessarily complex language to get a point across that I've ever seen. Reading this was a chore.
Jonathan
rinse and repeat.
Rui Coelho
Feb 05, 2017 rated it liked it
A good summary and introduction to the insurrectionary communist debate. It covers concepts as class recomposition, deindustrialization, surplus population, counterlogistics, communes...
Andy
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
An extremely useful economic historical theory of riot-strike-riot prime.
Clover's book provides not only the tools but the provocation to engage riots and strikes much more in thought and discussion. Delineating the two while marking their relations, and thinking through their sites and associations. Riots against prices at scenes of circulation--the marketplace / Strikes against wages (albeit prices of a kind) at scenes of labor--the factory floor.
Vanessa
Jun 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Engaging intellectual exploration of the impetus behind, and the difference between, the riot and the strike, how they are deployed and to what purpose, and the usefulness of this tool of the people in contemporary political and economic strife.

I received an ecopy from the publishers and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Redpoet
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am not going to say much. However, this book was very, very good with an innovative analysis...that surprisingly makes sense. I liked it a lot.
Jennifer Ashton
May 30, 2016
Elle
Aug 07, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Joshua Clover is a professor at the University of California Davis. He is a published poet, scholar, critic, and journalist.
More about Joshua Clover

$19.99 $2.99
  • The Success Principles: How to Get from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be
  • The Taste of Air
    $9.99 $3.49
  • The Lord God Made Them All (All Creatures Great and Small, #4)
    $17.99 $1.99