Start by marking “I Am a Hero Omnibus, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
I Am a Hero Omnibus, Volume 1

I Am a Hero Omnibus, Volume 1

(I am a Hero Omnibus #1)

The zombie apocalypse has never been more surreal! A mentally unhinged manga artist witnesses the beginning of a zombie outbreak in Tokyo, and he's certain of only two things: he's destined to be the city's hero, and he possesses something very rare in Japan--an actual firearm! Kengo Hanazawa's award-winning series comes to Dark Horse, and this realistically-drawn internat ...more
Published April 26th 2016 by Dark Horse Manga

Jonathan Echevarria
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
To call I Am A Hero another zombie story would be a huge disservice to anyone looking for a good horror manga. I would highly recommend I Am A Hero to anyone bored of zombie stories, bored of lackluster unoriginal Manga, or bored of the formulaic horror plots that over saturate the market. I Am A Hero is not just a great horror comic, this book is most brilliant piece of horror fiction to come out this year. There are so many things I love about this book. I enjoy how incredible and beautiful th ...more
Derek Royal
Apr 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Reread 3/5/17 in prep for second omnibus volume.

4/27/16 - This title has been getting a lot of attention because of the "zombie" aspect, something that folks have framed as The Walking Dead of manga. But I find that way of pigeonholing the series not only inaccurate, but also lazy. I understand why Dark Horse would want to publicize it that way, given the popularity of The Walking Dead and other zombie-type horror narratives, but this isn't really the same thing. At least that's the case in the
Jamie
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga-manwha
While this manga is not bad, it is just not one I particularly enjoyed. The pace is quite slow. Maybe because I was expecting more of the zombie aspect. Honestly, it is more a psychological story.
Hideo is a freaked out 35 year old that is afraid of just about anything. He often is found with some boy near him that is either a ghost or a character of his, etc. I never could quite figure out. He has a bit of an odd relationship with this girl yet feels threatened by another mangaka she reads.

Yo
James DeSantis
May 17, 2017 rated it liked it
I actually waited a day before I reviewed this because I wanted to think about it. Did I love it"? No. Did I hate it? No. Did I love THINGS about it? Yes. Did I HATE things about it? Yes. So I'm going to try to break it down.

What I liked: The moments when people begin to turn is great. I actually love that they still hold a little of who they are. Sometimes speaking or repeating words of something they did last before turning. Also the way they move is freaky and scary. Crawling like the grudge
Teresa
Apr 16, 2019 rated it liked it
The first volume, or first half of the omnibus, is rather boring. It has hints to this zombie plague beginning, but I don't really care about the character and his personal life. The art isn't really my style either. The second half (or volume two) gets much more interesting with its zombie action, but it's still so generic. There's not really anything special or unique about it that stands out from every other zombie medium thing in the world today.
Candice
Nov 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
I don't know what people see in this manga. I get that it's nice to have an average joe as the main character, but Hideo is not average. He is pretty much the biggest loser the manga-ka could have invented. I did not find him sympathetic or likeable, and his oddities were annoying rather than endearing. He's the sort of character that I usually pray will die off quickly so that I don't have to keep reading about him.

The humor, if you can call it that, is not actually funny and often perverted.
Guillermo Galvan
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Huge pools of boredom between killer zombie action. The main character couldn't hold my attention. The love interest didn't go anywhere, so why force it in? This reminded me of a watered down Japanese version of Shawn of the Dead. The zombie scenes themselves, though, are gory enough for real zombie fans to appreciate. But as I said, the long waits centered on a lame main character were just too much for me.
Rachel
Jan 05, 2018 rated it did not like it
The main character is basically just an annoying paranoid neckbeard who hallucinates a lot and likes to go on boring rants about manga (I don't care?) It doesn't even start getting interesting until halfway through. I would like to erase this garbage from my brain but, since I cannot, I will leave this review instead.
Sarah ~Sehrenity~
Apr 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
Gross and fascinating at the same time. You don't see too many stories written AS a zombie apocalypse is taking place. Usually you pick thing up shortly after it has happened. That make this interesting.
Emm - Stories for Ghouls
ZOMBIES! ...But they take at least two-hundred pages to disjointedly crawl into the story. If you had just opened the first book without any info, you would literally not know it was undead-related or possibly even know it was horror until the last two chapters.
The first book and the later books are almost different species.

Hideo is a failing manga artist who is likeable and relateable enough but hardly genre-savvy, and kind of a dope. (For example, asking a very obviously zombified person, comp
Saturnq
Jun 23, 2016 rated it did not like it
At first I struggled to figure out what was so award-winning about this title. Then I remembered that the manga industry, like most entertainment industries, are run by men. If you are or ever have been a self-entitled misogynistic whining trash, I Am Hero is your Golden Legend.

Within the first chapter we learn the protagonist's thoughts on how attractive women make bad news anchors because their "only thoughts are about getting married or having an affair with a baseball player or producer" an
Monique
Aug 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was expecting I Am a Hero to be a Japanese Walking Dead, but I'm glad to see it's definitely more of a horror manga with zombies.

Hideo appears to be a paranoid schizophrenic with an abusive girlfriend he's in love with. He works as an assistant manga creator, but is otherwise a recluse. Which goes a long way to explaining how he escapes being infected.

The comic is great. It has a slow start that gradually introduces Hideo's life before everything suddenly goes absolutely bananas. The second
Matt
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a weird, weird book.

Let's get one thing out of the way: the art is pretty much perfect. Wonderfully lush and lived-in.

So it's a zombie book, right? But...it starts out with a hallucinating manga artist who demeans women, has an inferiority complex, and is generally unlikable for the first 200 pages.

And then the zombie stuff kicks off, and guys, it's GROSS.

And it's all a very strange experiment that at least has me curious about volume 2, even if I'm not anxious for it.
Toni
Apr 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2017, shit, unhaul
Everyone in this manga is a misogynist.
Tom Ewing
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hideo Suzuki is anxious to the point of hallucination, plagued by jealousy and low self-esteem, and trapped in a thankless, low paid job as a manga assistant. Just the type to discover his inner strength when the zombie apocalypse hits his dreary Tokyo suburb, then? Not really - Hideo wanders through his own story in a state of numbed shock and survives mostly by luck.

From the title down, I Am A Hero is a skilful, convention-twisting take on the overworked zombie genre, distinguished by its blen
Jason
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Doesn't start like your typical zombie story. In fact, the zombie part of the story doesn't start until the second volume! The commentary on the manga industry is quite fascinating as well, especially for someone outside of Japanese culture.
Pip
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This series wasn't really on my radar at all because I don't really go in for zombie stuff but I really enjoyed this! Our main character is probably one of the most interesting characters I've read in manga and it gives a unique take on the zombie apocalypse through the eyes of a mentally unstable man. The story starts out a little slowly but drops hints of the catastrophe that's going to happen shortly. We also see a change in panel structure as after the apocalypse hits, we see the structured ...more
Anna
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga
WTF did I just read....
Chapter 1 can be a one-shot manga all in itself! It's a great look at a slightly~mental socially~awkward probly bit OCD 30-something manga assistant's night at home. The 'camera' gets in close & claustrophobic...

The entire first half of the book is getting to know Hideo, his g/f [?] and his work place... and how much he resents them all but not really but does. Oh, plus he tends to talk to himself (the voices in his head are visualized as all sorts of characters)
AND T
Nicole
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Had a slow start, but once the story picked up in pace it was impossible to put it down. This is one of the first manga to get me into the horror manga genre. Can't wait to continue the next volume. The only complaint that I have is that it is a slow release in publishing. There are only two volumes out (which I have both), and the third doesn't come out for several months.
Octavi
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Me ha flipado. Aunque todo el primer volumen es una presentación de personajes y el mundo alrededor del mamga, me ha cautivado desde la página 1. Y a partir del segundo volumen es un festival. Esperando YA el omnibus número 2!!
Chris
May 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Uh, this is AWESOME!!! Wants more now.
Lou Fillari
May 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Now that was some crazy shit. That's what I needed. And oh man, that cliffhanger.

Shit's about to go down and I'm happy I'm here for it.
Joy
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really liked it at the beginning! I loved the low key story of a kind of scruffy work-a-day guy with dreams getting caught in the middle of a viral outbreak. He's the only one he knows with a gun, knows how to use it and knows he has the opportunity to be a hero at a time of great need. He spends a lot of time psyching himself up because he's not a hero-type.

In the first part of the manga we see his struggle to save people and become the best he can be, even getting past his mistakes. He makes
Tory
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
I had high hopes for this due to the fact that it gets recommended a lot and the description sounded interesting however the first volume mundane that I had to force my way through it and keep checking how many pages were left. The only reason I plan to check out volume 2 is because the final few pages looked promising and it doesn't take long to read. Honestly it was a struggle to give volume 1 anything more than 1 star.
Kristian Dobson
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've been bored of zombies in any media for years now so I usually avoid anything to do with them, but I'm glad I was given this as a gift. It's so refreshingly unique compared to the typical action heavy, melodramatic bullshit that plagues (heh plagues) 99% of zombie fiction. Here, we don't even see our first zombie until halfway through (or at the end of volume 1 in this omnibus). This way we get time to actually care about the characters. And even when the action kicks off it doesn't feel con ...more
Marie
Sep 23, 2017 rated it liked it
2.5/5
Katrina Gabriel
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A little slow in the beginning! But it good pretty good in the middle and towards the end! Either way I loved it, I’m a big zombie fan!!🙌🙌🙌
Brandon McNeil
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was an extremely slow start, but really started to pick up towards the end. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who digs on zombies or manga. Very twisted and dark take on the usual tropes here. Will be ordering volume two for sure.
Jemiah Jefferson
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Superlative characterization and mind-blowing art. And it just gets better from here.
  • 7 Billion Needles, Vol. 2
  • The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service, Volume 5
  • King of Thorn, Vol. 4
  • Ayako
  • Domu: A Child's Dream
  • BIOMEGA バイオメガ 1 (Biomega Vol. 1)
  • With the Light: Raising an Autistic Child (With the Light, #3)
  • Judge 04
  • Gantz/13
  • Museum of Terror, Vol. 1: Tomie 1
Kengo Hanazawa (花沢健吾 Hanazawa Kengo, born January 5, 1974) is a Japanese manga artist known for his seinen works. He won the Topic Award of the 2005 Sense of Gender Awards for Ressentiment and was nominated for the 3rd, 4th and 5th Manga Taisho for I Am a Hero.

I am a Hero Omnibus (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • I Am a Hero Omnibus, Volume 2 (I am a Hero Omnibus, #2)
  • I Am a Hero Omnibus, Volume 3 (I am a Hero Omnibus, #3)
  • I Am a Hero Omnibus, Volume 4 (I am a Hero Omnibus, #4)
  • I Am a Hero Omnibus, Volume 5 (I am a Hero Omnibus, #5)
  • I Am a Hero Omnibus, Volume 6 (I am a Hero Omnibus, #6)
  • I Am a Hero Omnibus Volume 7