Start by marking “Leo Can Swim” as Want to Read:
Leo Can Swim

Leo Can Swim

Leo, Lola’s little brother from Leo Loves Baby Time, is back in a new adventure at the pool.

Leo and Daddy go to swim class where they kick, bounce, and dive like little fish. Joining other babies and their caretakers in the pool is a guarantee for unforgettable fun.
Published May 10th 2016 by Charlesbridge (first published May 3rd 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Leo Can Swim, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leo Can Swim

Black Carrie
Aug 12, 2018 rated it liked it
:) adorable read about parents spending time with their babies during swimming time
One Code 431
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 star for non other then the cuteness 💕💕 the babies are soooo cuteeeee i just want to pinch there cheeks
Bethany
Feb 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Leo loved baby time, and now he loves swimming class, too! This winning series excels at breaking down common toddler and preschool activities into discrete steps without feeling didactic or dull. Leo's new swim classes feature a realistic array of caregivers and children at a typical pool. They splash, sing, play, and get their bodies ready for early swimming readiness. The round, smiling babies, and the loving caregivers come in all skin colors, and there are some age differences, too, among t ...more
Erin
My three-year-old just started swim classes and had a rough first day. He's since calmed down quite a bit, and he loved reading about this baby doing the same things that he does in his class. After a second read-through, I really appreciated the happy vibe portrayed around swim class. No one is anxious or afraid. While that might not reflect reality, it did offer some reassurance to my child that swim class can be nothing but fun.

A very simple and fun story that is fun to read aloud, but the sm
Carla Johnson-Hicks
This is a cute little story about Leo going to the pool to swim. Leo loves the water and had a lot of fun learning to swim. With cute illustrations, this story is adorable. Children who are going to learn to swim, head off to a pool or may be reluctant to get in a bathtub, would be great candidates to be introduced to Leo in this story. I wish it had touched on a little bit about how to get over fear of the water, but all in all a cute read.

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchan
Zoe
Jul 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A reassuring, warm, inclusive storybook about a scenario familiar to many young families - taking baby for their first swim classes. It's fully of smiles and gentleness, with a wide range of families (making it a book for everyone), and with a staring role for Dad - reading to baby, taking him to the pool, and enjoying a well earned coffee and cake in the cafe afterwards. Young children will love recognising their own lives in this delightful book.
Goes by the title 'Zeki can Swim' in the UK.
Robin
Jun 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Highly recommended for ages 1-2.
Walter Walker
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Great book for very young kids, I would say 0-3 years old. Wonderful pictures with a simple and easily understood story. Just got this as an e-book and my friends child loved it.
Margaux
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Perfect for baby storytime.
Mathew
A lovely little picturebook published by Alanna Books. On the surface, McQuinn might be sharing a story of a baby enjoying his swim in a communal swimming pool with other parents and children but it is what is not made explicit that remains powerful and much needed.
A delightful story of the caring and nurturing relationship between a parent and his child, 'Zeki can Swim' offers a breath of fresh air in relation to diversity and the dismantling of socio-cultural stereotypes. The primary carer in
Hyeryeong
Sep 13, 2017 rated it liked it
This story tells about Leo’s first experience of swim class with his dad. I like the book’s illustration, for it describes authentically as if we were in that situation while reading and I like the writers idea that Dads also could babysit their children not only the mom. This story could relieve the children who fear to dip in the water and explains that swimming and playing in the water would be a fun activity.
Emily
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Love this series. Gentle story shows Leo enjoying swim class with his dad. Takes the class step by step, showing lots of babies and adults having fun the whole way. I always appreciate the depiction of diverse characters matter-of-factly in the Leo and Lola books.
Jul 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Goes through a swim lesson for babies at the Y - main character is a child of color so yay for diverse books in libraries! Short enough for the younger crowd, though they may not understand more than babies in the water.
Becky
Mar 24, 2018 rated it liked it
I love that it addresses swim diaper and swim trunks because some parents may need the reminder that you need both. I love that a dad has his baby girl in the locker room... cause dads gotta dad. It's sweet and simple and perfect for a kiddo who's going to or is already taking a baby swim class.
Vivian
Feb 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Just right for little ones -- two bold lines of text per page, multiple ethnicities included in the illustrations, a nice overview of what baby will experience at a swim class, fun vocabulary and play with sounds, and even a little rhyming.
Diana
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime, kids
This is a gorgeous little read-aloud for the littlest listeners. The cast is a rainbow of ethnicities, and I adore the father-son relationship. While I've never seen a beginning swim class with quite this many smiling faces, it's a great glimpse into the way things maybe, just maybe, COULD be. :)
Nicola
Jul 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Simple picture book about a baby going to swimming lessons and learning to swim. Nice that it's that father that takes Zeki to swimming class. Would be useful if you're thinking about starting swimming lessons with your little one.
Kevin Summers
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: toddler
Sample quote: "Leo loves the water. He is like a little fish!"
Kelly
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute, quick, and easy to follow.
Amy
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: _rylee
We were at the Pella aquatic center today with OK family and cousin from Pella! Perfect day to read a swimming book.
Jenna Mills
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-book
Lovely book. Very realistic.
Annburnett
Jul 01, 2019 rated it liked it
It is a book about babies learning to swim at swim class.
Miss Sarah
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
A simple and sweet picture book about Leo going to swim class with his dad. simple text makes it baby and up and I love the diversity present in the characters.
Mely
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
a simple, fun book about parent-infant swim class. my little one has been through this before so it was fun to reminisce.
Linsey Atkinson
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book! It would allow for a very good discussion. You could ask students where they learned to swim. You can ask them who taught them and how good of swimmers they are today!
Katie Fitzgerald
In his latest adventure, Leo, little brother of Lola from Lola Loves Stories and Lola Loves the Library, and star of Leo Loves Baby Time, joins a swim class with his dad.

As in Leo Loves Baby Time, artist Ruth Hearson uses soft colors and warm, cheerful faces to illustrate Leo's story. The pictures show diverse parent/child pairings - moms and dads, with boys and girls - enjoying themselves at swim class. The pages alternate between close-ups of Leo and his friends and group scenes of the babies
Allison
I love Ruth Hearson's illustrations in all of Anna McQuinn's books. They are beautifully done - they're simple enough not to distract from the story but are sweet and make it come alive. I wish there was a bit more in the writing of the same. There was not much spark to enliven the words on the page. Perhaps if there had been intention rhyming or other literary devices, I would have truly connected with the book as a whole. I get that it's intended for a younger audience but that doesn't mean yo ...more
Kate Puleo Unger
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ages 0-2

This book isn't a true board book. It has card stock pages, so it's best for ages 2-4. Leo loves to swim, and his daddy is taking him to swim lessons. This book walks through all of the activities in a parent and child swim lesson. It's a perfect read for before taking your own child to swim lessons. The illustrations were fun and the text was simple, and it will help kids know what to expect.

Sandra
Cute picture book about a little boy firsts swimming lessons. The text is easy to follow and the pictures lively. Good option for kids up to 3 years old.

I received this copy from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange of an honest review.
Allison
Adorable and perfect for toddlers and young preschoolers.
I am so lucky to spend my life working with books and stories. I've run groups for babies, toddlers and their parents in libraries, reading stories and introducing children and carers to great books; I spend time writing and I'm Editor-at-Large for the magnificent independent publisher, AlannaMax in the UK.
In my spare time, I read - what a wonderful life!
There are some Children's Books on my shel