Start by marking “Places No One Knows” as Want to Read:
Places No One Knows

Places No One Knows

For fans of Lauren Oliver and E. Lockhart, here is a dreamy love story set in the dark halls of contemporary high school, from New York Times bestselling author Brenna Yovanoff.

Waverly Camdenmar spends her nights running until she can’t even think. Then the sun comes up, life goes on, and Waverly goes back to her perfectly hateful best friend, her perfectly dull classes, a
Published May 17th 2016 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about Places No One Knows, please sign up.
Erinn That Polish edition cover is very pretty, but because Waverly has short hair, I'm not liking it.

And yes, I think this cover is lacking a bit, but I…more

And yes, I think this cover is lacking a bit, but I kind of like it. This book is much different than her others, but I like the simplistic art of this one. A different color would been my choice though. Pink doesn't really fit.(less)
Rachael Yes. You hear from both Waverly (girl) and Marshall (boy) in alternating sections.
YA Novels of 2016
1,292 books — 9,628 voters
Empire of Storms by Sarah J. MaasA Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. MaasLady Midnight by Cassandra ClareThe Raven King by Maggie StiefvaterGlass Sword by Victoria Aveyard
Can't Wait Books of 2016
1,301 books — 6,914 voters

More lists with this book...

Maggie Stiefvater
Jul 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I can't tell if this novel is a dream wrapped in razor wire or razor wire wrapped in dream. It doesn't really matter which it is — either way, I woke up satisfied.

This is a novel for lizard-hearted girls looking for other lizard-hearted girls in fiction. If you enjoyed Isabel Culpeper, this novel is for you.
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

I was hoping to love this book since it's gotten so many rave reviews but I just thought it was okay. I'm not even really sure why. I loved Waverly. She had problems following the crowd, mainly her best friend (that she hated) Maribeth. The fact that Waverly finally grew up in the book was great. But, I still don't know why I didn't love it to death.

***SOME SPOILERS**

Waverly has insomnia and she barely sleeps if at all. She runs on the team at school, she runs at night, she does everything but
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ by: Elise (TheBookishActress)
I've been staring at my bedroom's ceiling for an hour now, trying to make sense of all the feelings bottled up inside, feelings that I can't reasonably let go adrift because I have to wake up in 4 hours and my insomnia really doesn't need that kind of fuel to sustain.

I've been staring at my bedroom's ceiling for an hour now, trying to reach some kind of objective reasoning to explain why this book made me feel so raw and vulnerable that I really couldn't care less if, sometimes, it looked like i
Elise (TheBookishActress)
✨ this will probably be my next reread and I have a feeling I'll give it five stars. this book has stuck with me for over a year at this point and I loved it so much. get on it!!

This is a book you have to stick with. I don't want to pretend Places No One Knows is fast-paced, and I don't want to pretend you'll fall in love immediately. You might. Or, like me, you might not. But even if you despise the first half of this book, I genuinely think you should read the second half. Because holy shit, I
Wendy Darling
I don't usually DNF something as early as 15 pages, but the writing is so self-conscious and mannered that I don't have the patience to sit through hundreds more pages of unnatural prose and dialogue. Plus some of it doesn't even make sense! "Her hair is the kind of blond that makes you picture halos made out of kittens," really? What does that even mean?

If you're interested in the synopsis, I'd strongly recommend checking out an online preview, because you can tell pretty quickly if you'll lik
Nastassja
Fucked-up
Insecure
Neurotic
Emotional

The first letter of each word is printed in oversized capitals that align vertically to spell out FINE.

If you ask me what was this book about I wouldn't be able to fully answer that question. About a sociopath girl? About space travel? About two different people falling in love? About family? About broken friendships and new ones? All of the things above? This book doesn't have a plot as a solid matter you can dive into and extract a thread that intertwines it
Jess
Mar 23, 2015 marked it as how-come-i-mark-2016-reads
I don't know if I desperately want to read this or if my head just hurts from that horribly confusing and, quite frankly, long as hell premise.
K.
I would never have picked up this book of my own accord. I only picked it up because it was what we were reading for my book club this month. And...it kinda sorta sucked.

- The plot made basically no sense.
- There's a magic candle that never gets explained.
- The main characters were both indescribably boring. Like, I don't give a shit if you live or die kind of boring. They were just blank sheets of paper wandering through the story.
- The character names were RIDICKITY.
- Every time Maribeth wa
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)

Brenna Yovanoff is the author of my heart and soul. She earned that place with The Space Between (which remains one of my all-time favorites), confirmed it with The Replacement, and pretty much cemented it with Paper Valentine and Fiendish. With her magical writing, she makes me discover parts of myself or relive emotions long forgotten, which is something very few authors can do these days.

Places No One Knows is a bit unusual when compared to Brenna’s usual thematic, but no less beaut
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
An ARC of this title was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This review can also be found at The Starry-Eyed Revue.

Brenna Yovanoff's novels are very...different...from most YA. They border on the strange and can be utterly compelling or completely off-putting. But whereas I've always been a little hesitant to pick up her previous novels, I was clamoring to get my hands on this one.

Regardless of how I feel about her stories in general, her unique writing style never fails
♠ TABI ♠
Nov 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely beautiful.
Kisses A
May 28, 2016 rated it did not like it
It was one of the most painful books to read in the worst possible way. I was literally squirming out of my skin like 75% into this one. I could not make to continue. It starts off OK but it felt repetitive and predictable and another lame excuse for a contemporary. We get from 2 povs ; Waverley and Marshall. She is a goody goody 2 shoes and he is a drunk pot smoking loser who does not have a very solid reason for being so. Waverley dreams her way every night to wherever Mars is whether he is dr ...more
Asghar Abbas
Nov 26, 2015 rated it really liked it

I think, maybe I am a little in love with Yovanoff; she is everything I look for in a writer. Her books have all that I'd want in books like these, her writing is what we all need, joyous, fun, grounded, really fun. Her characters, her girls, her female leads exhibits the kinda glow she has as a person. Yep, I am definitely in love with Brenna and all her gorgeous books.

If you haven't already done so, do check out her amazing work. Tell me this though, how can I read the name Waverly and not thi
Sarah (thegirltheycalljones)
This was wonderful. So unexpected and wonderful.
I'm not sure I'll be able to explain why I enjoyed this book that much, or what makes this book so special, but special it is.
The writing is amazing. Some might find it too wordy - and they might be right - but it didn't make me like it less. It's honest, very honest and sad, and striking, and spot on, and so fun at times it made me snort out loud.
The pace is slow. Not a lot is happening. I usually HATE that in a book. Here I was literally breathin
Tori Frost
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Even as a fan of Yovanoff's other novels and her peculiar, artistic style, I was hesitant when I read the premise of her newest novel, Places No One Knows. The idea of a girl who can move through dreams is interesting, but I'd seen a few YA novels about dreams lately, and nothing strips a romance subplot of its charm like a YA blurb. So I went into this skeptical. Worried. Ready to let myself down gently.

I should have trusted Yovanoff. This a beautiful, shivering dive into the dark ocean of adol
Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner
Relationship between the leads in Places No One Knows reminds me of the relationship between Nastya and Josh in The Sea of Tranquility which is one of my all-time favorite books. It's no way as epic as Nastya x Josh but it does have some similarities.

Books about magical realism have been something of a new discovery for me this past year. You know you like something when you create a whole new shelf for it.

Even though there is a paranormal element in this book I still think it's leaning more o
alex
I first saw this book on Maggie Stiefvater's tumblr. The author is Steifvater's critique partner, so I was desperate to try this book because if Maggie likes it, I should definitely pay attention to it. I devoured it in a couple of hours on a car ride and was left emotionally drained by the end of it.

I was intrigued from the get go with the premise. A girl dreams herself into a boys room? Yeah, I can definitely get on board with that. I loved the descriptive prose and the "dream" chapters. This
mith
4.5 Actually, I lied. 3.5 raised to a 4!!
#PROTECTMARSHALL2K16
What a precious boy. I love him dearly.
AND honestly, after watching two season of Criminal Minds, Waverly just might make a decent serial killer.
That isn't normal, by any means, but neither is she.
Anyhow, Brenna's novels are usually a hit or miss for me. This was a hit and it was really nice.
ETA: I forgot how some things went unexplained! I love books with magical realism and I completely get that the magical concept of the books do
Claire (bookscoffeeandrepeat)
3.75/5

While I'm not a fan of the romance, the writing wasn't bad. It's like John Green meets Maggie Stiefvater. I'm not even surprised that Maggie blurbed this book. I can see a bit of Adam in both the main characters. All in all, I liked the story. The ending did it for me though, to be honest.

**Full review in my book blog.
Trisha
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"The poets are wrong.
The opposite of ice isn't fire.
It's water."

The fact that I'm typing this review at 3 am is probably proof enough of how much I loved this one. I hung on every word and honestly, didn't want to put the book down. For the last 100 pages, my heart burned and my eyes stung. I was so connected to the pain and loss of these two.

Meet Waverly - beta to her alpha queen bee of the school Maribeth - she's cold and calculating, seamlessly working in the background until Maribeth needs
Hari ~Brekker-Maresh~
4.5 Stars!!!

I loved practically everything about this book. *cue happy tears*

Everything was like on spot, you know? Amazing characters to fall in love with, almost flawlessly executed plot and memorable story, with just the right amount of senses and impossibility.

Definitely one to read, cherish, and recommend. You'll love it :)

So yeah GO READ IT!! Now. Please. It's amazing.
Lisa
Oct 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, arc
Interesting, different, compelling, slightly tortured. I HAD to keep reading and there's something so magical about that.
Marta Álvarez
Oct 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Tiene fragmentos y frases interesantes, pero en general creo que sobran bastantes páginas, no tiene una trama «clara» y la protagonista femenina resulta algo cargante. Ya no por su personalidad, (el protagonista masculino también tiene lo suyo) sino porque esta es muy gratuita; al menos en el caso de él entiendes por qué es como es.
Meg
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Beautifully written but semi-devoid of plot so if that's a requirement for you I'd skip it. I connected to it in an unsettlingly personal way and I loved it to absolute pieces, so, there's that.
katayoun Masoodi
Jul 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, fantasy, ya
not sure what to talk about or how i felt about the book, it was certainly mesmerizing, at times it was like a very strange dream and i did enjoy reading it very much and yet all the time at the very farthest corner (very, very, very far!) of my mind there was this nagging that everything is a bit contrived and if you were to remove the strange dreamlike quality of the narrative you'd be left with no story or not much of a story, not much of a feeling and maybe skeleton like people.
still this n
Jessica
May 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I hadn't even heard of this book until it showed up on my doorstep from the publisher, but the cover was definitely intriguing so I went ahead and read the summary. A book about a girl who shows up in a boy's room in her dreams? And the boy is someone who this perfect, straight A girl would NEVER talk to in real life? Sign me up!

Waverly Camdenmar knows the game of high school and knows it well. Put on a show, play your pieces carefully, and never let anyone see you weak. On the outside, Waverly
Allison
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Brenna Yovanoff could write a book about paint drying on a basement wall and I'm pretty sure I'd read it because her writing is so beautiful. Places No One Knows is thankfully not about paint drying so it checks the boxes for writing AND storytelling. This certainly isn't the creepiest/darkest of her novels, but I think it's my favorite so far.

I'm loving the current influx of contemporary teen novels that have a speculative edge. Even the litany of off-kilter names lent this some extra magic.

I
Rachel
The book was good, but I'm not sure I actually liked it. The characters were different and almost compelling, but I didn't actually care about them; the romance was hot, but I didn't swoon; the paranormal element could have been intriguing, but was used more as a tool to get the characters together without any explanation about what was going on and the two just going with it. A minor freakout wouldn't have gone amiss. And while there was an HEA, I left the book in a funk because it was just so ...more
Jamie
Apr 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: book-club
2.7
Really needs a better cover. Kind of an odd mixture of contemporary with sci-fi/fantasy element of traveling in dreams. Felt weird that the characters just accepted that Waverly could do that. I think the fact that she was a runner, it what saved the story for me a bit.
Colleen Oakes
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Brenna Yovanoff is one of my favorite authors. She has way of understanding humans that rivals the bestselling adult fiction writers. Marshall Holt in this book is one of the best drawn male YA characters that I have ever read. He's complex, he's flawed, he's emotional at just the right times to make him utterly believeable. If I bumped into him on the street, I wouldn't be surprised. What dials up in a paranormal pretense actually dispenses in a sweet love story of two very flawed human beings ...more
FYA Book Club of ...: March 2017 - Places No One Knows 2 3 Apr 05, 2017 03:44PM
Forever Young Adu...: This topic has been closed to new comments. March 2017 Meeting 3 14 Mar 06, 2017 09:14AM
  • The Anatomy of Curiosity (The Curiosities, #2)
  • Fire and Heist
  • Summer of Supernovas
  • Grave (The Queen of the Dead, #3)
  • Pitch Dark
  • I'm Not Your Manic Pixie Dream Girl
  • How to Hang a Witch (How to Hang a Witch, #1)
  • A Darkly Beating Heart
  • Flashfall (Flashfall, #1)
  • The Apple Throne (The United States of Asgard, #3)
  • Bound by Blood and Sand (Bound by Blood and Sand #1)
  • Julia Vanishes
  • Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies
  • Vicarious (Vicarious, #1)
  • The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, #1)
  • Smash & Grab
  • A 52-Hertz Whale
  • The Safest Lies
“Your gods don't know you exist.
And that's okay.”
10 likes
“I assumed it was a matter of time. One day I’d meet someone who counteracted my chemical structure. We would compete for supremacy, collide until one of us was forced to yield, or else go forth together, suspended in eternal stalemate. But my model is inaccurate. The poets are wrong. The opposite of ice isn’t fire. It’s water.” 8 likes