Start by marking “Wolf Camp” as Want to Read:
Wolf Camp

Wolf Camp

Meet Homer, a dog who heads to camp to live like a wolf! Here’s the perfect book for the legions of kids out there who love dogs and funny books.

Homer is a dog . . . but he also secretly fancies himself part wolf. So when an invitation to attend WOLF CAMP (“Where every dog can live as a wolf for a week”) falls out of his kibble bag one morning, he’s determined to
Published May 3rd 2016 by Schwartz & Wade

To ask other readers questions about Wolf Camp, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wolf Camp

Erica
May 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you have a dog, you will understand this book.
If you just know a dog, you will understand this book.
It's probably also good for parents who have children who are going away to summer camp for the first time and are experiencing the nerves. That's not relevant to my life, though, so I only care about the dogs.

Homer finds a flyer for Wolf Camp in his bag of dog food and carries it around, showing it to his people, until they agree to let him go.
Wolf camp is hard. T
Aug 16, 2016 rated it really liked it

”Ahh-WhoooAhh-Ahh-Whoo”

Homer is a dog on a mission. He wants to let his inner wolf out to howl and hunt. Homer wants to go to Wolf Camp!

With humor and howls galore, readers dive into wolf lessons right along with Homer. Fur, funny tastes, bugs, homesickness and more! Hehe….The look on Homer’s face is priceless! This story is funny and cute from beginning to end.

A howl-at-the-moon read that will inspire readers to go after their dreams. If you want to go to wolf camp, make it happen!

Re
Jacob
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Well this was fun!!! And the final two illustrations remind me of my puppy.
Karin
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Adorable story of Homer, an ordinary dog who wants to be a wolf. When he receives a flyer advertising Wolf Camp he gets permission to attend. There he meets his two wolf counselors, Fang and Grrr. (This cracked me up). This is a great story to share with kids before they are going off to camp. Homer is a little afraid of the things that are going on at camp. Sleeping outside, all the bugs, eating wild game, but he perseveres and manages to receive his Honorary Wolf certificate. Illustrations are ...more
Jeimy
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
The premise is cute, but I wish it had been developed more.
Barbara
Homer relishes his life in the bosom of his family, but sometimes he yearns to give in to his wolfish nature. After much persuasion, his family eventually sends him off to Wolf Camp where he learns to howl, hunt, and learn to live in the wild. When he returns home, he's able to put into practice at least one skill he's learned--howling. Several of the scenes are typical of how a youngster might feel about camp. For instance, Homer writes a letter home complaining about the camp food and being di ...more
Vernon Area Public Library KIDS
May 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: K-2
Homer is a dog who wants to get back in touch with his ancestry and wonders, "what would it be like to live as a real wolf?" His family reluctantly abides and sends him off to Wolf Camp where he learns how to mark, howl, track, hunt, and sleep in the wild. But Homer becomes homesick and realizes that he misses his domesticated life despite his longing to understand his roots. Lots of silly, fun humor in this story! Friends of canines will also enjoy "From Wolf to Woof" by Hudson Talbott for more ...more
Carrie Charley Brown
Homer feels invigorated when he gets a little Wolfish. After wondering what real wolves might live like, he discovers there's a camp for that! This camp experience is quite unique and filled with humor as Homer and his camp mates bring their inner wolves out into the wild. With comical illustrations and personified doggy personalities, children will be entertained and maybe even wonder what their own dogs are thinking about.
Ruth
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
My son refused to relinquish this one to the library yet, instead, taking it to his bedroom and putting it on his nightstand. I am fairly certain I will be hearing howling from there shortly. He said it was the funniest I had ever been reading a story.

It really is a cute book. My favorite dog at Wolf Camp was the cat-sized one named Pixie.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Cybils nominee for best fiction picture book. More later.
Nick So'oto
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wolf Camp, by Andrea Zuill, is about the adventurous dog, Homer. Homer is the typical house dog that seems to enjoy playing, but there is something special about Homer, he thinks he's a wolf! There's nothing in the world that Homer wouldn't do to be a wolf. It turns out his dream came true sooner than he expected. While his owners were pouring a bowl of dog food, an invitation to "Wolf Camp" fell out of the bag. Homer, was ecstatic when he realized this was his opportunity to make his dream come ...more
Lacey
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-lit
Homer is just a dog that wants to go to Wolf Camp. He convinces his owners to let him go to experience the life of a real Wolf. He soon finds himself at the camp in a completely different environment from back at home. He experience a life in the wild without a bed, the safety of the house, and food that has hair on it. Homer quickly becomes friends and learns to have fun.

I really enjoyed reading this book. It is also based on the owners dog. I liked the part where Homer finally learns what it
Victoria Swisher
Oct 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
Homer the dog wants nothing more to be a wolf like his ancestors and that dream becomes a reality when his humans finally agree to send him to wolf camp. At wolf camp he learns all the important things about being a wolf, like howling, hunting, tracking, and sleeping outside. Homer greatly enjoys his time at wolf camp and, when he returns home, he realizes he will never be the same domesticated dog he used to be because he is now an honorary wolf.
This was another very cute story about foll
Lara
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
As a servant to a cat who thinks he's more ferocious and wild than he is, I felt like I knew Homer and his deep-seated belief that he's (at least part) wolf.
The illustrations are very cute. I loved the pack there at Wolf Camp, three very non-lupine Certified Honorary Wolves. And I would like to know why Fang includes instructions to "Never trust a squirrel" in his new camper lecture!
This is a good book about following dreams and exploring possibilities. It would also be a good read for ki
Brittany Hart
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
Homer so desperately wants to go to Wolf Camp after finding the flyer for it. He is able to convince his people to let him go. After he gets there, he makes a few friends and they all realize just how hard Wolf Camp is. Can they make it though the whole visit?
This book is adorable and I feel like my dog would have been the same way! I love to see pets personified, because I like to think of my pets as part of the family, and giving them a voice makes that easier.
This would be great i
Juli
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I gravitated toward this book because 1. It was a camp book, 2. It has dogs, and 3. It looked silly. Everyone needs a good laugh and this picture book has it! After reading through, I found there were even more reasons to love this fun story. 1. It's told in First Person. Homer is a hoot! (And he may exaggerate just a bit.) 2. The ancillary characters are well named/attributed by both the simply PB descriptions and the illustrations. 3. It's fun to read aloud! My fifth graders loved it, my mom l ...more
Diane
"Wolf Camp ... Where every dog can live as a wolf - for an entire week!"

Homer is a dog who is sometimes "very wolfish." And when he discovers that there is a camp for wolves, he is determined to convince his family to let him go. Though he enjoys camp, the food is yucky and a bit hairy and he longs for home. He even writes a letter to his family. But in the end, he earns his status as an honorary wolf and happily returns to his family.
Nancy Kotkin
Homer, a very domesticated dog, wants to unleash his inner wolf, so he gets his people to send him to Wolf Camp. The first couple pages after Homer arrives at camp, and Homer's letter home, are hilarious. I wanted more of a twist at the end of the story, though I love the illustration of Homer in his bed tucked under his electric blankie beside his toy chest. The illustrations add humor throughout the book. An entertaining read, especially for dog lovers.
Emily Shaw
This book was very cute and it wasn't what I excepted it to be. This book is about taking a chance and the lesson learned from it. At the beginning, Homer the dog was nervous about staying at the camp. However, once he got the feel for it he was more comfortable and didn't want to leave. I would read this book again or to my class. This book taught me to go after my dreams, because it will be worth it in the end.
Vicki
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Homer the dog pesters his humans until they let him go to wolf camp for a week. The book is funny, but any youngster who has been to sleep-away camp will find elements with which she can identify. I particularly loved the letter home asking for bacon treats because the food at camp has hair on it.
Marfita
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wonderful and funny illustrations show the tale of a dog who wants to go to Wolf Camp. First he has to drop hints. When he gets there he makes friends, but being a wolf isn't what he thought. So, like Allan Sherman, he writes a letter home from camp. We don't see the moment of change, but the dogs gradually adjust to their life in the wild - even eating food with hair on it.
Cecilia
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is adorable and is a must read for dog lovers. A bunch of house dogs go away to summer camp, only summer camp for dogs is a camp run by wolves to help domesticated dogs get in touch with their ancestral inner wolf. VERY cute.
Amy
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm on the fence about using this as a whole class mentor text for writing ... on one hand, it's imaginative and delivers a neat concept (send an animal to summer camp!) but on the other, I don't think my readers are going to appreciate this specific kind of humor.
Pam
Jun 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Homer the dog longs to explore his wolf side. He persuades his family to send him to Wolf Camp. He discovers that being a wolf is not all fun. However, he has a great week and still feels a tiny part wolf when he gets back home.
Roben
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: silly-stories, dogs, pets, wolf
What dog doesn't dream of spending a week at wolf camp, getting in touch with their wolfish nature? Things may be a little rough at first but eventually, they will get the hang of how things work at Wolf Camp!
Stacy  Natal
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute story about a dog that wants to be a wolf, and his family sends him away to wolf camp. The kids I read it to loved the pictures and the story. A fun read for dog lovers or someone going away for camp.
Tessie
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It was a good book and I like that it has wolves in it.
John Campbell
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: auggies-books
My four year old LOVED this one. And loved to howl along!
Katie
Sep 06, 2018 rated it liked it
This was okay. The pictures were cute and the story was too, but it didn't resonate with me as that great. Dog lovers would probably like it better.
Aisha
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Super duper cute and did not make me cry!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• A Dog Wearing Shoes
  • This Is a Serious Book
  • Snail & Worm: Three Stories About Two Friends (Snail & Worm, #1)
  • Excellent Ed