Start by marking “The Girl from Summer Hill” as Want to Read:
The Girl from Summer Hill

The Girl from Summer Hill

(Summer Hill #1)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  3,870 Ratings  ·  643 Reviews
The first book of a new contemporary romance series set in the mountains of Virginia in a town with full of family legends, romance, and secrets from New York Times bestselling author of the Nantucket Brides trilogy.

Sparks fly as fiery Casey Reddick and brooding Hollywood actor Tate Landers clash in the Virginia summer heat. A chef who puts her career first and her love li
Published May 3rd 2016 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about The Girl from Summer Hill, please sign up.
Vicky My guess is, someone who didn't like the book very much gave it their rating. Which is a shame, because it is a really fun, entertaining story!

Yodamom
Aug 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
3 - audiobook
Fun contemporary take on Pride and Prejudice. I liked the way the story tied in so well with the P & P original story while they were doing the play. I wished it had more build up on the "love" part but for a quick romance it hit the spot.
Claire Robinson
DNF.

I am not going to rate this one as I don’t think in this case it would be fair.

This is a classic case of reader not getting along with the authors writing style. I haven’t read anything by this author before, and I just found it all pretty overwhelming, 4 different POVs within the first 15%, more character introductions than I can count on two hands, and no real background to any of them.

This is the start of a series, but I think it would have been better to bring in everyone at a slightly s
Beth
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Girl from Summer Hill is a modern day twist on Pride and Prejudice. I have to admit Jude completely nails it and still manages to add some very unique twists that I found utterly enjoyable.

Tate and Casey are the classic Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth. Tate an actor on holiday to an ancestral family home gets pulled in as an actor in the hometown theater's play for charity. Elizabeth is a chef who gets connived into participating in the play as well.

Tate comes across as arrogant and aloof but you qu
Océano de libros
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
En realidad le doy 4.5 estrellas.
Casey Reddick es una espléndida chef que vive volcada en su trabajo en Virginia, allí es donde conocerá a su nuevo vecino, Tate Landers, famoso actor al que ella no le encuentra el atractivo por el que suspiran tantas mujeres.
Yo creo que todavía no había leído nada de Jude Deveraux pero mi impresión ha sido buena. Me gusta su forma de narrar sin muchos artificios y algo que me sorprendió por así decirlo es porque va al grano, es decir, que sus personajes no dan r
Yomi M.
Feb 24, 2016 rated it liked it
It's LIVE!

With this book Jude Deveraux gives us her own take on classic Pride & Prejudice. I thought that Jude Deveraux did an excellent job in modernizing this classic and figuring out how to make the things that occurred in that story relatable to our modern times. In her acknowledgement she even recognized that it was very difficult to attempt that feat and I think she succeeded. I also applaud her for not directly telling us who was who based on the Jane Austen book. Now, other people mi
♥Rachel♥
Aug 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
3.5 Stars
Ivy Deluca
description
-If you’re familiar with Jane Austen’s P&P, then you’ll be able to follow the plot easily enough and each chapter has a header with the general P&P storyline point, which is a cute touch.
-Ms. Devereaux has been on my list of authors for many, many years and this has the feel of a Devereaux historical
-Unfortunately, it takes place in modern day Summer Hill, Viriginia, so occasionally the dialogue felt better suited to a historical than a contemporary.
-Tate and Casey, the Darcy and Elizabe
Olga
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Versión moderna del gran clásico de orgullo y prejuicio ( si Jane Austen viviera ahora , se forraba jejeje), sin más pretensiones que pasar una tarde agradable de lectura...

Lo único memorable es la primera escena jajaja
May 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this overall. Casey and Tate were both fun, enjoyable characters who were fun to get to know. The Pride and Prejudice angle was also fun, the way the story not only played out on stage but in real life. I felt the connection between Casey and Tate from the beginning, and it was also easy to understand why she would be hesitant to pursue anything between them. Their initial meeting was hilarious, both of their reactions believable...and the peacock. I loved that guy.

I also thought there
Michele at A Belle's Tales
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Head chef Casey Reddick is looking forward to her summer in the small town of Summer Hill, Virginia, and staying in what she believes to be Christopher “Kit” Montgomery’s guest house at Tattwell. She’s going to do all the cooking for cast and crew as Kit puts on a local production of Pride and Prejudice. In the middle of the night from her kitchen window, she sees a man strip down and begin to use the outdoor shower on the porch of the little house. She must be dreaming. She’s not dreaming. She ...more
Pamela
May 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another adaptation on the oh-so-popular "Pride and Prejudice" with a modern take. I do think that Ms. Deveraux did a good job on modernizing this, but at one point, there did seem to be a lot of pov's. I know this is #1 in the series, so maybe some of it could have been saved for the next one.

I loved the opening scene and the "meet cute", but I also felt that Casey and Tate seemed a little forced. I would have liked more depth to these two characters, once again, letting the others develop more
Antonella Ϟ
3,75 (?) Casi casi 4 la verdad. Pero no pude ponerle 4 por algunos detallitos. Quisquillosa siempre jaja.

Es una historia fresca, entretenida.. un romance new adult que puede caer en clichés pero que tiene la novedad de ser al mismo tiempo un "retelling" o reversión de un clásico como Orgullo y Prejuicio.
Bueno. Tal vez no es tan novedoso pero yo no había leído nunca (que ahora recuerde) un libro que lleve a la actualidad OyP.
Summer Hill es un pueblo pequeño y están armando una obra de teatro de
Miranda (MrsLeif's Two Fangs About It)
I am a HUGE Pride and Prejudice fan, so I knew I had to pick up this book since it was inspired by Pride and Prejudice . After reading this book, it is safe to say that Jude nailed it with a modern retelling of Pride and Prejudice . This book had a lot of the same basic storylines of Pride and Prejudice , but there were unique twists. Jude's take on the classic romance was fresh and adorable.

The first chapter of this book was hilarious yet cringe worthy. I felt a little uncomfortabl
Leah
The Girl from Summer Hill was such an unexpected delight - so readable and ridiculously funny, with a romance that had me swooning all afternoon! This book is the perfect way to spend a sunny afternoon (and will be an excellent beach read in another month or two!) I'm extremely excited that this is the first in a new series - I cannot wait to get back to these characters! I have a feeling I know who the sequel will focus on and if I'm right, I kind of need that book now.

For the full review and m
Arlene
Oct 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Much to my chagrin, I've never read Pride and Prejudice so any correlation between this story and the classic was lost on me. However, it's I still followed along without any confusion.

The characters kept my attention but I couldn't help but notice how easily every conflict was resolved. Light read... enjoyable...
Mariela
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nunca había leído nada de Jude Deveraux y no me decepcionó para nada, es más ya estoy con ganas de leer otro libro de ella.
La chica de Summer Hill es una historia super fresca y divertida, la protagonista es muy ocurrente y el protagonista es un hombre comprensivo y para nada violento como se está poniendo de moda en la lectura romántica.
La trama nos cuenta la historia de un grupo de gente del típico pueblito de Estados Unidos, donde todos se conocen y de un día para el otro gracias a una obra
Barb Lie
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Girl from Summer Hill by Jude Deveraux is the first book in her new Summer Hill series. This was a sweet romance story, but different in that it also was sort of a modern day version of Pride and Prejudice. Casey Reddick, who is our heroine, has just moved into a house for the summer, and to her shock, she sees a naked man while sipping tea . Tate Landers, is our hero, who is a famous actor in town to help a friend perform the role of Darcy, in the town’s theatre. When Tate spots Casey watch ...more
Ang -PNR Book Lover Reviews
Apr 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
The Girl from Summer Hill – Jude Deveraux
4.5* Closer to a five*

Okay so where to start? Actors I guess, because this book is set in a modern rework of Jane Austen’s – Pride & Prejudice, which is no where near my favourite book but whoever Jude is, he/she, did a fantastic job of making it so, so, so, much better. This story follows super star Tate Landers and his love interest Casey through their perfectly woven love story. Seriously, the words – intricately woven – fit this novel to a tee.

It’
Stacy
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: lovers of contemperary romance, new adult romance or just fun, quirky fiction
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. When I saw that Jude Deveraux was writing a book that plays on the classic literary work Pride and Prejudice, I was really concerned. Jude Deveraux has always been my all-time favorite author but I feel too many people have used this classic tale as a jumping off point of their own stories. I should have had faith in Deveraux’s writing ability, because she didn’t disappoint me. Once again I was thoroughly engaged with a Dever ...more
(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick
Originally posted at SmexyBooks-http://smexybooks.com/2016/05/review-...

Favorite Quote: “Why do women always fall for bad boys, then get angry when they turn out to be bad boys?”

Casey Reddick, a celebrated chef, never expected to wake up to a sexy naked man showering on her front porch but she’s not one to complain. That is until he sees her watching him and accuses her invading his privacy and spying on him.

Tate Landers, a famous movie star, has spent most of his life dealing with someone alway
Viola
Aug 31, 2017 rated it did not like it
Tipisks sava žanra- dāmu romāna- pārstāvis. Neko citu tur arī nevajag meklēt! Lai gan noteikti ir lasītas labākas "Lepnums un aizspriedumi " modernās versijas.
Angelica Stahl
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so hilarious and heartwarming which makes me wonder why anyone would rate it lower than 5 stars. There were even moments when I found myself laughing out loud. It's a lighthearted summer read with plenty of romance tossed in from different perspectives. I would most definitely recommend this book to a friend.
Anna
Sep 29, 2016 added it
Shelves: austenesque
The Girl from Summer Hill by Jude Deveraux is a modern-day retelling of Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice set in Summer Hill, Virginia. Casey Reddick is a chef who left the hustle and bustle of D.C.’s restaurant scene to live in the guest house on Tattwell Plantation. She has been hired by Kit Montgomery to cater meals for the cast and crew of the stage adaptation of Pride and Prejudice that he is directing for charity. She meets the sexy actor Tate Landers when he shows up naked on the porch of ...more
Stephanie
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-book
THE GIRL FROM SUMMER HILL: A P & P Equivalency Experiment

Audiofile provided by publisher for review. No remuneration was exchanged and all opinions presented herein are my own except as noted.

While there are some fun twists in this retelling of P & P (how many does that make this month?) there are not many surprises. The Jane character falls for the Bingley-esque male character, Jane’s facsimile and Darcy’s get together too. The setting is a bit di
Eva • All Books Considered
Apr 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: ♥Rachel♥
Shelves: beach-reads
Review originally guest posted at The Girl With The Happily Ever Afters: 3.5 STARS

What a fun book!! The Girl from Summer Hill is a Pride and Prejudice retelling that is set within a story in which the characters are putting on Pride and Prejudice as a play so kind of a retelling in a retelling! This one definitely worked for me and here's why:

The Players

1. The role of Lizzy is played by Casey, a chef that recently quit her job after a break-up and on the verge of burn-out. She's come for a b
Nasty Lady MJ
Aug 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
To see review with Firth gifs click a href="https://howdyyal.wordpress.com/2016/0....

The Girl From Summer Hill is a book that I’m not sure would’ve been published if its author wouldn’t had already been a very successful romance novelist—the book’s by Jude Devereaux. To be fair, the book isn’t a bad book per say, but it’s yet another Pride and Prejudice retelling and not a very clever one.

Full disclosure, I’ve only read a few Devereaux books before, The Summer House and one of them that involved
Frederic
Feb 21, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a 3.5 stars review round up to 3 stars,

When I was a teenager I loved Jude Deveraux’s books!! My friend and I were looking for them at our local library and we were almost fighting to know who would read them first!! That was the last time that I read a book from her. When I saw this new series of Jude Deveraux I had to read it. I could almost felt that same excitement that I did once upon a time when I was starting one of her books.

I have never read any Jane Austen novels (I will have to
Hannah
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ARC REVIEW

I have a new favorite Jude Deveraux book!

This is a retelling of Pride and Prejudice in the same manner that Kiss Me Kate is a retelling of Taming of the Shrew. If you haven't seen it or heard of it. It's a stage production of the original story but with a case of Life Imitating Art. A small town stage production of Pride and Prejudice, but the actors are put through situations and the events and their attitudes reflect that of the the original story. This is in Deveraux's Montgomery/T
vicki schoenthal
Just read

This is an absolute must read from Jude. It is pleasant light hearted reading for the summer. You will laugh, that's a guarantee
Pamela
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
This is Pride and Predjudice done on stage, with a modern twist. The book was a joy. There is a real star who comes back to the town of his mother's childhood, and home, and agrees to act as Darcy in a play for her charity. The characters in the play of course are not really Elizabeth, but after meeting Tate the star, Casey does a wonderful rendition of Lizzy, and is in the play. It is a book of real people's lives, and their joys, heartbreak, and jealousy. They just happen to be in the same pla ...more
Around the Year i...: The Girl from Summer Hill, by Jude Deveraux 2 30 Jul 10, 2016 12:47PM
  • A Most Extraordinary Pursuit (Emmaline Truelove, #1)
  • No Interest in Love (All About Love, #2)
  • From This Day Forward (The Wedding Belles, #0.5)
  • Crazy for You (Life and Love on the Lam, #2)
  • Best of My Love (Fool's Gold, #20)
  • Abby Spencer Goes to Bollywood
  • My Basmati Bat Mitzvah
  • Lantern Lake (The Billionaire Bachelors, #3)
  • The Witches of Cambridge
  • Rules of the Game
  • The Theory of Light and Matter
  • A Killer Ball at Honeychurch Hall (Honeychurch Hall Mystery #3)
  • Can't Hold Back (Returning Home, #2)
  • Not Always a Saint (The Lost Lords, #7)
  • Only Beloved (The Survivors' Club, #7)
  • Falling Hard (Falling Fast, #2)
  • Accelerate (Hotwired, #1)
  • All Wrapped Up (Pine Mountain, #5)
Jude Gilliam was born September 20, 1947 in Fairdale, Kentucky. She has a large extended family and is the elder sister of four brothers. She attended Murray State University and received a degree in Art. In 1967, Jude married and took her husband's surname of White, but four years later they divorced. For years, she worked as 5th-grade teacher.

She began writing in 1976, and published her first bo

Romance Deals

• Party Girl
    $4.49 $1.99
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Paris (International Guy #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Him (Fool Me Once, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Off Base (Out of Uniform, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Second Chance Summer (Cedar Ridge, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Married By Morning (The Hathaways, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beneath Copper Falls (Rock Harbor #6)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Tight
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Year of Weddings: Twelve Love Stories (A Year of Weddings Novella)
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Feral Sins (The Phoenix Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How to Tame a Beast in Seven Days (The Embraced #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Shame on You (Fool Me Once, #1)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Me (Fool Me Once, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Exes (Liars, Inc., #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Shadow's Edge (Night Prowler, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Taste of Magic (Magic, # 1)
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • New York (International Guy #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Sin With Me (Bad Habit, #3)
  • The Memory of You
    $8.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wicked Cravings (The Phoenix Pack, #2)
  • Good Guys Love Dogs
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Camino Beach
  • Shadow Woman
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Embrace the Night (Vampire Romance #1)
  • The Shell Seekers
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wicked White (Wicked White Series Book 1)
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Carnal Secrets (The Phoenix Pack, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Scream For Me: A Novel of the Night Hunter (For Me, #3)
  • When Life Happened
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Cheater (Curious Liaisons, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cheater's Regret (Curious Liaisons, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hunting Grounds (Hidden Sins, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Revenge (Consequence, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Seduction (Consequence #3)
  • The Story of Us
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Loving Colton (Consequence, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • No More Masquerade (Secrets of Stone Series Book 2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dunaway's Crossing
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Twisted Truths (Blood Brothers, #3)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Curse Defiers (The Curse Keepers, #3)
  • The Roommate 'dis'Agreement
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Rules of Regret
  • Cry Baby
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Matchmaking for Beginners
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Hollywood Dirt (Hollywood Dirt, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Threat of Danger (Mission Recovery, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Copenhagen (International Guy #3)