Start by marking “Short Stories” as Want to Read:
Short Stories

Short Stories

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  102 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Before she wrote Little Women — one of the most popular books for children ever written — Louisa May Alcott (1832–1888) served during the Civil War as a volunteer nurse in Washington, D.C. Drawing on that episode in her life, she produced Hospital Sketches, a fictionalized account of her experiences at the military hospital in Georgetown.
This collection of five poignant sh
Published July 21st 2010 by Dover Publications (first published June 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Short Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Short Stories

Carolyn
Jul 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
Histrionic, predictable, Victorian nonsense.
Sebastien
Aug 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
I’m really not disappointed with this book. I particularly enjoyed the two last short stories ‘My Contraband’, and, ‘How I went out to service’.

In both stories, the protagonist is a woman. One clearly deals with the theme of slavery in which, Miss Dane, the nurse is involved. Besides, Louisa makes a reference to ‘Uncle Tom’, which I suppose, is the famous book by Harriet Beecher Stowe.

The other is about the burning desire of an 18-year-old girl in search of independence
of her parents, who fin
David
Apr 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dover-classics
The stories were not amazing. But I was blown away by the author. I read "How I went out to service", "Happy Women", and "My Contraband". I thought this woman was basically a writer for young girls. Lord, was I wrong. This is a woman of strong beliefs, standing against her culture, and writing with passion.

I may have to go back and read Little Woman and Jo's Boys.

A worthy read.
Hasan Jian
Sep 26, 2008 rated it it was ok
Short Stories is a small collection of short stories were written by Louisa May Alcott (1832-1888).
Louisa May Alcott served during the Civil War as a nurse in a military hospital in Georgetown so she wrote Hospital Sketches and other short stories using her experience to produce this great Literature .
When I started reading the first story in this book, I realized that the language which is used in this book is very hard for me to understand quickly, but I continued reading until I read a long s
Lisa Cole
Jul 17, 2013 rated it liked it
There were 5 stories collected in the unabridged Dover Thrift edition of Louisa May Alcott's shorter writings. Most of these stories were based on Alcott's own experience. My favorite story in the collection was called "A Night" which spoke of Alcott's experiences while being a nurse in the Civil War. Alcott tells the story of John, who was mortally wounded, but keeps his good humor and kind spirit up until his death. I also enjoyed the very short story, "Happy Women," which is a kind of letter, ...more
Laura Edwards
Aug 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics
What a wonderful little book. I never realized that Ms. Alcott was an early feminist. "Happy Women" ably depicts how women don't need a husband to lead a fulfilling life. Even now, some people can't understand this truth. Better to be single than to settle and marry without love. I would say, however, that this is more an essay than a short story, but I'm glad it is included in the collection.

"My Contraband" is my favorite, fairly complex for the short length. A story which also reveals Ms. Alc
Prashant Singh
Aug 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is one Book which with its 5 Super collection of stories, gonna make you realize why we Louisa Lovers loves her so much!

I dont know why they are called stories, when they are direct reflection of Louisa's personal life. Seriously, In this book, Louisa opens herself so much that I felt I was reading her autobiography! Books which makes my wet, I Love them more than anything. :)
Sepideh
Dec 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved all the short stories in this book but "Happy Women" in particular was amazing in it's simplicity. Considering it was written in the 1800s it just made me fall in love with Louisa May Alcott all over again.
The Brazen Bell
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
This is my first foray into Louisa May Alcott's work, and I'm pretty impressed by her writing ability. I found myself intrigued by a lot of moments in each piece. Not anything remarkable, though.
Lace
Jul 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Pretty good! A quick read, very easy to get into.
Jackie
Jul 29, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club-books
Even though this book was only 50 pages long, I found it incredibly boring. I am really glad I read "Little Women" before this book. "Little Women" is much better.
Denalicat
  • An Unthymely Death and Other Garden Mysteries
  • In a German Pension: 13 Stories
  • Dorothy L. Sayers: The Complete Stories
  • The Constantine Covenant
  • Girls Growing Up on the Autism Spectrum: What Parents and Professionals Should Know About the Pre-Teen and Teenage Years
  • Long Lankin
  • Hard Trail to Follow (Texas Rangers, #7)
  • The Mayfair Affair (Rannoch/Fraser Publication Order, #8)
  • The Wedding Dress: Masquerade Bride
  • Nine Days in Heaven, A True Story: In the Summer of 1848, Marietta Davis Experienced an Amazing Vision of Heaven and Hell that Changed Her Life. Her Vivid Portrayal Touched All who Heard It. This Is Her Story.
  • Voci
  • One Thing She Knew
  • Love Among the Ruins
  • Trapped: The 1909 Cherry Mine Disaster
  • Sredni Vashtar and Other Stories
  • Problems: And Other Stories
  • Mamma's Boarding House
As A.M. Barnard:
Behind a Mask, or a Woman's Power (1866)
The Abbot's Ghost, or Maurice Treherne's Temptation (1867)
A Long Fatal Love Chase (1866 – first published 1995)
First published anonymously:
A Modern Mephistopheles (1877)

Louisa May Alcott was born in Germantown, Pennsylvania on November 29, 1832. She and her three sisters, Anna, Elizabeth and May were educated by their father, philosopher/ t
More about Louisa May Alcott...