Start by marking “Behind the Mask: A Pride & Prejudice Alternative Novel” as Want to Read:
Behind the Mask: A Pride & Prejudice Alternative Novel

Behind the Mask: A Pride & Prejudice Alternative Novel

In this Pride & Prejudice Alternative, Darcy and Elizabeth meet at a risque masque ball the summer before he arrives in Hertfordshire. They are both questioning what they desire from a marriage partner, and debating not marrying at all. Though they are taken with each other, they do not know the other's true identity.

Each begins to search for the other in their own wa
Published August 7th 2015 by Harvestdale Press

To ask other readers questions about Behind the Mask, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Behind the Mask

Debbie Brown
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
wosedwew
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-reviews
In my sex fantasy, nobody ever loves me for my mind -- Nora Ephron

When this was first available, I read the sample and was put off by the erotic nature of the masque ball meeting. The price was more than $8 and I chose to pass on this one. Recently I saw this available as free with Kindle Unlimited and decided to give it a try. After all, I could always stop reading at any point!

The sex scenes largely disappeared after chapter 2 and the story which developed was intriguing and well-written.

Two i
Sheila Majczan
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
As the story description warns the story not only has a graphic sex scene but also most of the interaction between ODC is based on that one incident. And it is painfully drawn out due to the fact that Elizabeth's childhood friend tries to convince her that there are parts of marriage that can make the experience a very pleasant experience. Now here I have my problem but as another said you just have to suspend judgment and go with it.

Sarah takes Elizabeth to a Masque Ball; something Sarah has se
Talia
Dec 13, 2016 rated it liked it
If you can get over Elizabeth being more wanton than Lydia, then you may like this variation. I would give it 3 1/2 stars because I could let that go but I have to admit that it continually disturbed me. I read The Mistress's Black Veil where Elizabeth is a high-class prostitute and found that to be more believable due to her love of family and reduced circumstances. In Behind The Mask, Elizabeth agrees to do things that no Elizabeth of my imagination would think of doing especially without an e ...more
Susan
Dec 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: austenesque
In this variation after Elizabeth Bennet has refused the marriage offer of a Mr Smith she goes to London to visit the Bennet's childhood friend who is now entitled Lady Sarah. While in London they go to a masque ball under different names, and there Elizabeth meets Darcy. Mature content ensues.
The story then continues as Bingley leases Netherfield.
Can they both find the person who was behind the mask, will they ever recognise each other and what of the rest of the family.
J. W. Garrett
Purchased as a 4-book box-set titled 'Unforgettable'

Contains scenes for a mature audience, with scenes that are explicit and graphic in nature. I felt they were totally inappropriate and not necessary to the story and were OOC [out of character] and took away from the story. However, that was IMHO [in my honest opinion].

But as Debbie B. said... just go with it. She wrote a most excellent review and I don't think I can say anything more about this book that she has not already stated.
James S
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
A different kind of angst

Usually in variations, angst is about a bad beginning at the assembly or Lizzy disliking Darcy or miscommunications. The angst in this story is wantonist. Lizzy and Darcy have met at a masked “get together” wink 😉 wink, and had an intimate encounter.

Well it’s love at first, uhh, sight 😉. But they don’t know how to find each other. Lots of shame, lots of guilt, lots good/embarrassing memories. Quite a few novel problems to deal with.

Good book, not for everyone perhaps. I
Allison
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book was way too long. It felt like there were 3 novels forced into one. The angst got to be a bit too much and at one point I wanted to smack Elizabeth or just quit reading. The writing was pretty good and I stuck it out for the whole story, but it just felt like way too much.
Sara
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jaff, k-unlimited
a little odd. i really don't think Elizabeth would behave this way but the story was fascinating.
JMarcy
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jaff-regency
Knowing of some of the gentlemen clubs of the period, such as the Hellfire 5 and Beggars Benison, the Society Lady Sarah belongs to at the beginning no longer surprises me. This what if is an example of the popular idea in P&P variations that Darcy exemplifies "still waters run deep" while still remaining (for the most part) a true gentleman. With their first meeting being earlier than canon, the differences in characters of Darcy and Elizabeth in this story make more sense. A good read for ...more
Amy
Aug 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
Cute, but not believable .

Th characters themselves were written fairly well. The addition of lady Sara was a nice addition. However the way Darcy and Elizabeth initially meet is very unbelievable and the "wham , bam, thank -you Ma'am" at the parsonage almost made me quit reading the book. It was entirely too long! The book could've easily ended after Darcy and Elizabeth came to an understanding.
ana darcy
Apr 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jaff
Scandolous how Darcy and Elizabeth met but at the same time it gives an amazing twist to the story.

Susan
Jan 29, 2016 added it
This was cute but unbelievable.
Madenna U
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
I feel as though my favorite characters were abused somehow in this story.
Betsy
Aug 11, 2015
Nikel27
Aug 30, 2015
Rose
rated it did not like it
Feb 25, 2017
Debra-Ann
Apr 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Bronwen Chisholm was raised in Central Pennsylvania, the youngest of four sisters. Though she was not introduced to Jane Austen's work until later in life, she grew up reading the Bronte sisters, Gone With the Wind, and other classics as well as watching vintage Hollywood movies. Her love of books and literature almost led her to a career as a librarian. Instead, life and love carried her to Virgi ...more