Start by marking “The Biggest Story: How the Snake Crusher Brings Us Back to the Garden” as Want to Read:
The Biggest Story: How the Snake Crusher Brings Us Back to the Garden

The Biggest Story: How the Snake Crusher Brings Us Back to the Garden

Once upon a time there lived a man and a woman. They were the happiest people on the planet.

True, they were the only people on the planet, but they were still terrifically happy.

Unfortunately, things didn’t stay happy and wonderful for long . . .

The Bible is full of exciting stories that fill children with awe and wonder. But kids need to know how all those classic stories
Published August 31st 2015 by Crossway (first published August 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Biggest Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Biggest Story

Start your review of The Biggest Story: How the Snake Crusher Brings Us Back to the Garden
Mark Jr.
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I probably would've given a little more weight to the creation mandate, but I do so like DeYoung—and the illustrations were simply fantastic.

More important than anything I might say: my children asked for more.
Josh
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, theology, kids
I love Kevin DeYoung and have been looking forward to this book since I heard about it earlier in the year. It was what I expected. Though in some ways, I was surprised.

I was not surprised with the text. DeYoung has been a favorite write of mine for quite some time. I was expecting excellent, deep theology distilled in a manner that would allow me to share the great truths of Scripture with my boys of various ages and various spiritual and intellectual levels. This is what Pastor DeYoung has
Jason Harrison
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lily-books
First book I read to Lily. I think she liked it :)
Ivan
Jun 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I read everything DeYoung writes. He’s always clear, witty, convictional, and simple in his writing, even when branching out to write an illustrated children’s book. DeYoung delivered this first as a Christmas sermon for his church. He writes, “I wanted to tell the familiar advent story in a way that was fresh and faithful to the biblical text. I tried to deliver the message like I was reading a book—a book for children sitting by the fire on Christmas morning” (118). With creative and colorful ...more
Kristin Kowalk
Dec 08, 2016 rated it liked it
I loved the idea behind this book---to show children the "big picture" of the Bible instead of telling them about different events that may seem disconnected to them. And the illustrations were very intriguing, most of the time going beyond the book's text and requiring the reader to be knowledgeable of the Bible. But while I've enjoyed DeYoung's writing style in other books, the tone here, almost sounding flippant in some areas, just didn't always feel quite right for children.
Noel Adams
Nov 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Gush, gush, gush, gush, gush! DeYoung is one of my favorite authors and bloggers, and he does it again with this beautiful book! We have read The Big Picture Story Bible to the kids over and over. The Biggest Story takes the biggest story to the next level with engaging prose and whimsical artwork. I cannot recomment this highly enough.
Ginger
Jan 04, 2016 rated it liked it
The illustrations in The Biggest Story are absolutely stunning.

The text. Eh, it's alright. Obviously the story is good, but it just felt a little awkward and a lot rushed. It's hard to fit this much epic narrative in 125 pages.

Stick with The Jesus Story Book Bible by Sally Lloyd-Jones instead for easy reading, gorgeous illustrations, and a powerful message.
Becky Pliego
Wonderful! Beautifully told and always pointing to Jesus and the faithfulness of God the Father. The illustrations are fantastic, vivid and full of imagery that affirm the story in a powerful way.
Calvinist Batman
Aug 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Personally, my favorite kids Bible book. Super artistic. Can't wait for the video series and the audiobook.
Matthew Hunter
DeYoung focuses on The Bible’s overarching message instead of on the classic Bible stories. Bigger salvation history trumps smaller heart warming stories like Zacchaeus and the multiplication of loaves and fishes. The kids and I loved it.

Warning: Don Clark’s colorful, busy artwork might increase risk of seizure. Every page is like a slap in the retinas! DeYoung’s easy telling of Biblical truth makes the visual assault worth the danger.
Natalie
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The illustrations are worth it alone, but the masterful way the entire Bible is translated into a format children can understand and adults can enjoy, all while pointing every second to the One the entire Bible is all about—Christ Jesus—is amazing. Definitely recommend.
Jacob London
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A childrens crash course on Biblical Theology. Beautifully illustrated. Very well done.
Penny
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-mg
4* overall

The illustrations deserve all the stars!
Jonathan Roberts
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, 2017
Great Biblical book! Paints a clear picture of what the Bible is all about!!! Highly recommended!!
Tricia
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Deeply moving. Wonderfully engaging for my 4 & 3yo. Gorgeous illustrations. Perfect read for Holy Week leading up to Easter.
Natasha
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book. Really. The artwork is gorgeous and the idea of telling the Story of God from the perspective of how Jesus gets us back to the garden is really intriguing -- especially since it's geared toward children.

Unfortunately, I didn't like this book. Yes, the art is still stunning, but the language used to tell the story just doesn't go with it -- it isn't nearly as elegant or poetic. What's more offensive to me is how the story is told.

If you're going to condense
Jeremy
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very good, although we're not headed back to a/the garden; we're headed toward a garden-city, the New Jerusalem.

The note to parents at the end is excellent.

Here's the DVD.

Comments at WORLD : "As author Kevin DeYoung explains, The Biggest Story: How the Snake Crusher Brings Us Back to the Garden (Crossway, 2015) began as a Christmas sermon meant to showcase the Nativity in light of “the biggest story” of the Bible as a whole. Too long for a picture book, too condensed for a Bible storybook, it
Bill
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great book for children and adults alike. Mr. DeYoung does an excellent job in simplifying the covenantal story from beginning to end. We are using this as part of our family worship time. The artwork is fantastic. One of my sons enjoys the use of "snake crusher". If you have children, grandchildren or enjoy children's books, this book should be on your shelf.
Andrea
I've been wanting to read this for years. I love Kevin DeYoung and figured he would probably slam dunk a children's book about the gospel.

The Biggest Story is the story of God creating, promising and rescuing. One of my favorite sections reads:

"God had sent prophets, priests, and kings. He started out with Adam and started over with Noah. He chose Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. He gave Moses the Law. He sent Israel judges. He raised up deliverers. He conquered enemies. He provided sacrifices. He
Andrew Pendleton
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book targets kids around the age of 3-12 but I think it is great for all ages. DeYoung summarizes the Bible’s storyline and pulls out major themes of Gods redemptive plan in 10 short chapters. The book is even a sort of simple intro to/example of biblical theology; showing how the whole Bible points to, revolves around, and climaxes in Jesus.

The illustrations are awesome. Vibrant and colorful enough to even hold the attention of a two-month old. I look forward to reading this many more
Elizabeth
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"When you write a children’s book you don’t use many words, so you feel much more of the weight of getting them right." Kevin DeYoung wrote those words around the time that The Biggest Story was published in 2015. I can gladly attest that every word in this beautiful book was clearly chosen carefully and lends appropriate weight to the gospel story it tells. Yes, it was written for children, but I was refreshed by this simple rendering of the biblical narrative. It powerfully attests to how the ...more
Marie
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
WOW. Forget reading this review- just go read this book! It's a Juv nonfiction, so it won't take you long. I read it during a break at work, then brought it home to read again and to look more closely at the illustrations.

The Biggest Story connects all the main "stars" of the Bible and weaves them into a beautiful, bigger tapestry that points to Christ. Everyone from Adam to Noah to Abraham to David (and lots of people in between) are all connected, and all point to Christ. I love how DeYoung
Madelle
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This summary of the Bible meant for children ages 5 to 11 is excellently written by Pastor Kevin DeYoung. The illustrations by Don Clark are incredible. they just pop off the page. They are full of color and much detail The author summarizes the Bible without leaving out the challenging parts or the stories that we love. He shows how Jesus loves us all. I have already read it twice and will read it again.
Parker
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kevin DeYoung presents an excellent summary of redemption history in this book. It's full of deep (yet concise) interpretations of Old Testament narratives and the way they point forward to Christ. Jesus is presented as the new Adam, as well as the ultimate prophet, priest, and king. I only wish that His identity as God Himself would have been made clear as well. This can, of course, be supplied in discussion of the story, but I wish it had been emphasized within the book itself.

Don Clark's
Shannon
Jun 05, 2019 rated it liked it
I didn’t expect to like it. At first glance the Byzantine-inspired modern-colored illustrations seemed garish. But the further I got the more I liked it. Some of the lines are profound. Some are stupidly cliche, or I would rate it higher. Overall, nicely done and my under 2-year-old liked it too.
Naná Castillo
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Perfect for kids!!!!!
Iain Hamill
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Received this from a good friend on the birth of Joshua, our third child.

Excellent stuff.

Really clear explanation of the metanarrative of the Bible, from Creation, Fall, Redemption and through to Consummation.

Great accompanying visuals, enticing from 3 months old to 30 years old and beyond!
SaraJean
I’d like a little more grace and a little less substitutionary atonement, but the pictures are worth it.
Hedzer
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really good, in 10 short chapters Kevin sums up the heart of the biblical story. Also the illustrations are brilliantly done, and compliment the story very well. Age range around 5 to a 100.
Corey
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
Read as part of evening devotions. The 2yo was a big fan.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Garden, the Curtain and the Cross
  • The Ology: Ancient Truths Ever New
  • The Jesus Storybook Bible: Every Story Whispers His Name
  • The Big Picture Story Bible
  • God's Very Good Idea: A True Story of God's Delightfully Different Family
  • The Gospel Story Bible: Discovering Jesus in the Old and New Testaments
  • Give Them Grace: Dazzling Your Kids with the Love of Jesus
  • Church Elders: How to Shepherd God's People Like Jesus (9Marks: Building Healthy Churches)
  • Dangerous Journey: The Story of Pilgrim's Progress
  • Shepherding a Child's Heart
  • A Visual Theology Guide to the Bible: Seeing and Knowing God's Word
  • Even Better Than Eden: Nine Ways the Bible's Story Changes Everything about Your Story
  • The Gospel: How the Church Portrays the Beauty of Christ
  • All That's Good: Recovering the Lost Art of Discernment
  • Competing Spectacles: Treasuring Christ in the Media Age
  • Children's Book of Virtues
  • Sophie and the Heidelberg Cat
  • Is the Bible Good for Women?: Seeking Clarity and Confidence Through a Jesus-Centered Understanding of Scripture
Kevin DeYoung is the Senior Pastor at University Reformed Church (RCA) in East Lansing, Michigan, right across the street from Michigan State University.