Start by marking “Intentional Living: Choosing a Life That Matters” as Want to Read:
Intentional Living: Choosing a Life That Matters

Intentional Living: Choosing a Life That Matters

John C. Maxwell, #1 New York Times bestselling author, shows readers how to achieve a life of purpose and significance through intentional living. We all have a longing to be significant. We want to make a contribution, to be a part of something noble and purposeful. But many people wrongly believe significance is unattainable. They worry that it's too big for them to
Published October 6th 2015 by Center Street

To ask other readers questions about Intentional Living, please sign up.
Elaine Carmona Las buenas intenciones son básicamente pensamientos, deseos y grandes ideas sin el respaldo de la acción y vivir intencionalmente es un propósito que…moreLas buenas intenciones son básicamente pensamientos, deseos y grandes ideas sin el respaldo de la acción y vivir intencionalmente es un propósito que nos lleva a una estrategia definitiva y a la toma de acción al momento.
Las buenas intenciones nunca te llevaran a vivir una vida trascendental, al contrario, muchas veces son la base de la falta de resultado lo cual lleva a la frustración. Vivir intencionalmente es saber e identificar lo que queremos, pensar lo que necesitamos hacer para obtener los resultados que queremos y consistentemente trabajar hasta que suceda.(less)

Start your review of Intentional Living: Choosing a Life That Matters
Rachel Blom
John Maxwell is the leadership guru of the Christian world, theres no denying that. Hes also an incredibly prolific writer, who keeps popping out one book after another. His latest book is Intentional Livingand its another inspiring book, though slightly different from his previous works.

First of all, Intentional Living is not explicitly Christian, as many of his books are. Its aimed at the general market (its categorized as business leadership), while at the same time making no secret of the
Ashley Reiter
A man I deeply respect once told me to pay attention to the personal pronouns someone uses. Are they mostly talking about "I" or "my", or "we" and "our"?

Friends of mine think very highly of Maxwell. As this is my first encounter, I can only comment on the premise of this book, and I was left highly disappointed.

Such a great concept, and yet the narrative executed felt so self-lauding and vague. It was lazy. Every sentence had multiple "I"s, every example one of Maxwell's successes.

This topic
Brenda
Oct 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Our lives are like a story, there is often the good, the bad and sometimes the ugly that we often want to hide, but overall, the way that we live and what we do is our story. Honestly I had never thought about it in such simple terms until picking up Intentional Living by John C. Maxwell. The great thing is as long as we are alive, we have the ability to shift our story to who we want to be instead of who we might be right now. Instead of living an unintentional life where things just sort of ...more
Edward  Bartone
Sep 06, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
O......... M......... G........

While Im sure that Johns first 400, best seller, 300 page books that enlighten you by informing that you should be "kind to others" over and over and over again, may benefit some, I really need to suggest that he comes up with a new message. Sentence 1 "I really have no ego" sentence 2-4 million "let me tell you about myself". I don't know, maybe just not for me. He spouts common sense in a self centered way in endless repetition. Maybe he should patent that and
Chad Manske
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Living intentionally means living a life of significance according to Maxwell. It means never living with regret and methodically building your leadership skills in order to bring value to the lives of others. A Very good read!
Bob Wallner
Intentional Living is another great book from John Maxwell and might be his most reflective title to date. He admits in the beginning this was the most difficult to write and with so many personal antidotes, I understand why.

Intentional Living doesn't take on as much of the "leadership topic" as some of his other books do, but rather approaches leadership through personal growth and inflection. He provides solid examples in his life of how he changed from simply walking through, to being
Cari
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
This was the first John Maxwell book I read, and I probably should have read some of his others first. This book reads like a catalog of his accomplishments, heavy on the ego and the "I," and offers myriad common sense platitudes. There was no big "a-ha," earth-shattering idea in any of the pages.
Scott
Oct 13, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Awesome

Must read for everyone. It should be mandatory for schools and teaching to kids. But it is also important for adults to read.
Donna
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book and it had some very valuable information inside. The one lesson that I truly walked away with from this book was to add value. Add value to your relationships, whether it is in a family, friend, business---whatever the relationship. Add value to people and in return your life will be enriched.
Máté
Jan 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book would have benefitted if it was half of the page length that it is. There are good and important messages here, but also a lot of filler and repetition.
Farshad Asl
Nov 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Intentional Living is a momentous masterpiece that is meant to fuel your life with meaning, mindfulness and mastery. Entrepreneurs are not the only ones who can become enlightened, if you can breathe, then you can benefit from this book. Limitations of age, gender, or education do not apply to this book. John Maxwell has created the tool that revolutionizes self-understanding and self-awareness. It redefines what is significant in your life and ignites the desire for self-transformation. It is ...more
Anino
ARC received in exchange for an honest review.

Just like Warren Buffet is the "Oracle" of Business & Investing, Dr. Maxwell is definitely the "Oracle" of Leadership development for both the secular and church world. Never before have I had an opportunity to read about his highs and his lows, described in such a candid manner.. Doing so, inspires one to do better and dig a little deeper into their area of giftedness.

Although it had a minute amount of lag, in my opinion, this was truly a
Kristen
Aug 24, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I like the idea of this book and the intended message. After a couple chapters of personal stories used as examples, it just began to feel like a book of boasting and for me the message started to get lost and it only made the author seem more unrelatable. I think the multiple shameless plugs to previous works contained in each chapter may have contributed to that lack of authenticity for me as well.
Matt
WOW. Simply WOW. This is JCM's best work yet. Part biography, part leadership, all inspirational. Simply put, how can we add value to someone TODAY, right now? It all starts with living life intentionally. Anything more would spoil this book for you, but if you don't have a copy - go get one right now. If you do have one - make it a priority to read right now...put it to the very top of your list. You will NOT regret making that intentional choice!
Telizmary Pinales Roussel
Most people want to hear or tell a good story. But they dont realize that they can and should be the good story. That requires intentional living. It is the bridge that crosses the gap to a life that matters.

No one stumbles upon significance. We have to be intentional about making our lives matter. That calls for actionand not excuses. Most people dont know this, but its easier to go from failure to success than from excuses to success.

If you want to live a life that matters, dont start when you
Bill Pence
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
John Maxwell has had a profound impact on my leadership journey over the past eighteen years, primarily through his books. I was also blessed to help bring him to our community about twelve years ago for a wonderful speaking engagement. This book is about how to live a life of significance, moving from having good intentions to living a life of intentionality.
Maxwell writes that if we live each day with intentionality, we will live a life that matters and one that has significance. He encourages
Bill Pence
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hansel
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mel
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
John C. Maxwell is truly an inspirational leader. His book, Intentional Living shares an important message: make a difference. Mr. Maxwell shares the great advice on how we can find our why in our journey to making a difference, putting others first, connecting with like-minded people, and seizing opportunities. He writes words of motivation through his personal account of his own beginning on his own journey. Mr. Maxwell writes honestly and depicts his shortcomings as well.

I found Intentional
Stacy Beck
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I want to have everyone on John Maxwells books sitting in my book shelf one day. This motivational book on intentional living was an inspirational read. A few of my favorite quotes were:
Who you are makes a difference!
Act your self into significance.
The way you see yourself is how you see others. Its the way you treat others.
Who we are determines how we see others. We dont see people how they are- we see people how we are. The more you like and respect yourself, the more you like and respect
Karen
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inspirational
I really liked chapters 1-5. I was underlining great passages to come back & re-read for continued motivation. Chapter 6 on was a bit of a snooze fest. I lost interest. It seemed that even though he didnt want to push religion, it was practically in every paragraph. I get that his life story is based in religion but he became too preachy with how awesome he was and all that came his way. Anyway. The beginning of the book was more helpful & full of guidance. The latter half was more an ...more
Sarah Piper
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
TONS of great insights and tools.

The only reason I am not giving this 5 stars is because it's one of those books that you have to read twice. Once to get an overall feel and once to go back and do the "assignments" at the end of each chapter.

So many great tips to catapult yourself into a life of intention ... but not something you can just do overnight.

Definitely a book that I highlighted a ton and will go back to again as a continue my journey to a new lifestyle.
Mia
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I feel like this book has some sections with really profound thoughts and ideas shared, but overall it was a lot of stories of the authors successes. That made it harder for me to get much out of it once I got about halfway through the book. If you havent ever really thought about what it means to be intentional, this book teaches a lot of great ideas. If youve read a lot of other self-help books, I dont think it really has much to add to whats already been said. ...more
Carmen
May 29, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The entirety of this book can be summed up as be intentional and conscientious when making all of your decisions. Thats it.

Just because John can write a book doesnt mean he should. It took us 11 months to get through this book- not because we took our time, but because we dreaded listening to John ramble about some life story he already told us in a different book. This book is just him stroking his ego and playing holier than thou with the reader. Do not recommend.
Heather Martinez
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great book! The title gives the book away. The entire book is literally about intentional living. You know the expression, "You only live once"? This whole book could sum this up. Live an intentional life now because we don't know how long we will be here for. Give everything you have now & your life will be fulfilled. It is really a book about purpose. What is our purpose in life? It is different for each one of us but how will we ever know if we are not intentional? Great leadership book!
Anna Krjatian
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you want to lead with significance, you will love this book. Personal, relatable, tear-jerking and funny, John Maxwell shares his experience in leadership and significance in s easy to understand way that may just inspire you to live a significant life too. It spoke to me in so many ways and Im grateful for having this book. Its reminded me of all the things Ive wanted to accomplish as a little girl. Time to make them happen. Thanks Mr Maxwell. ...more
Jon Mellberg
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yet another John C. Maxwell book in the done bin. This is my 4th or 5th book of his Ive read. And like the others it has not disappointed. There is definitely some crossover or overlap between his writings, but since they are largely based on leadership or values or dreams or ethics, etc., it makes sense and is easily forgivable. This book, Intentional Living starts well but ends even better. Maxwell excels at leading readers to mindset changes for their betterment. ...more
Chiara Davies
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.

This book is chock full of nuggets for both mind and soul. However, I had a really hard time getting through the first 60% of the book. I understand and appreciate anecdotal writing, but something about this particular book was clashing with me. The last 40% of the book is where the writing and pace picked up, and thats when I really started taking more notes. I normally love anything by John C. Maxwell, but this wasnt a favorite.
Rick Davis
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been reading Maxwell's books for quite some time and they continue to offer timeless tips and advice. I'm a fire department shift commander that just moved to a different shift in September with a new group of people. Although I've worked with many of them in the past, I'm at a different point in my life now and I was able to glean a lot of good information to use in developing the ones that God has allowed me to lead.
Lance Lawshe
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome read on being intentional.

I am not surprised how captivated I was after hearing the many short stories and bits of wisdom from John. He continues to knock it out of the park. This is a book to be revisited and referred to others you know seeking to live significant lives.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Dream Giver
  • Am I Making Myself Clear?: Secrets of the World's Greatest Communicators
  • Switch On Your Brain: The Key to Peak Happiness, Thinking, and Health
  • Tu ai iubi un om ca tine?
  • The Go-Giver: A Little Story About a Powerful Business Idea
  • The Compound Effect: Jumpstart Your Income, Your Life, Your Success
  • Unleash The Power Within:  Personal Coaching From Anthony Robbins That Will Transform Your Life!
  • Business Boutique: A Woman's Guide for Making Money Doing What She Loves
  • Live Your Dreams
  • Enthusiasm Makes the Difference
  • Power Thoughts: 12 Strategies to Win the Battle of the Mind
  • La rascruce de viata
John C. Maxwell is an internationally recognized leadership expert, speaker, and author who has sold over 16 million books. His organizations have trained more than 2 million leaders worldwide. Dr. Maxwell is the founder of EQUIP and INJOY Stewardship Services. Every year he speaks to Fortune 500 companies, international government leaders, and audiences as diverse as the United States Military ...more