Start by marking “When the Devil's Idle” as Want to Read:
When the Devil's Idle

When the Devil's Idle

In the Book of Revelation, written by St. John on the Greek island of Patmos, it was said a pale horse would appear whose rider was death, others would cry out for vengeance, and the stars of heaven would fall to the earth. Death does indeed come to Patmos when a German tourist is found murdered in the garden of one of the island’s fabled estates. Yiannis Patronas, Chief O ...more
ebook
Published August 6th 2015 by Coffeetown Press (first published August 5th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about When the Devil's Idle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When the Devil's Idle

Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
Nov 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
A murder in the quiet town of Patmos, Greece. Who would want to murder a 90-year-old German?

A murder in an enclosed compound with no one but family and the family's gardener and housekeeper around. How did the murderer get into the secure compound? One of them had to be the killer since it was difficult to get into the compound, but who and why?

WHEN THE DEVIL'S IDLE is set in Greece with interesting characters and a wonderful glimpse at Greece's culture.

The main character Patronas was quite lika
Jennifer S. Alderson
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
When the Devil’s Idle is a dark detective novel centered around Yannis Patronas, an esteemed Greek policeman. An elderly German tourist is found dead in his rented gardens, a Swastika carved into his forehead. When the local police force asks for help, Patronas is sent to the small village of Chora on the Greek island of Patmos to lead the investigation. His investigation quickly turns into an investigation into Greece’s World War Two past and many of the atrocities the Nazis perpetrated during ...more
Susan
Oct 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-europe
When an elderly German, visiting the island of Patmos, is murdered and a swastika carved into his forehead, the police fear that the local anti-German sentiment is growing too strong. They send for Yiannis Patronas, head of the police on neighboring Chios, who has solved one murder--one more than most Greek policemen. He discovers that the crimes of the past cannot easily be forgotten.
Jeanie Loiacono
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Serafim does a great job with knitting together the past and present, and does not allow you to see who did what until the very end. Magnificent writing! More!
— CJ Loiacono
John Kounas
So so!

Author use of humorous incidents add little interest. She also made very big error regarding Greek Independence. Bryon died from malarial fever effects Turks did not kill him. She contradicted in a number of situations causing confusion. Her priest as a character adds little other than to ad content.
Not as good as I expected personally.
Martha Fiorentini
Jul 29, 2017 rated it liked it
I love reading about the Greek Isles which does include history, in this case, ancient history and WWII occupation by the Nazis. The description of the beautiful landscapes is a plus.
However, I didn't like the denouement of the murder.
Tracey S Choat
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four and a half stars

This is the second book in this series and I found it even better than the first. Murder, mystery, greek history and humor wrapped up in this neat package. Anyone planning to visit the Greek Islands should read this series of books.
Faith Flaherty
Nov 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
When the Devil’s Idle by Leta Serafim is more than a detective story. Before reading this novel, I knew nothing about Greece. Leta Serafim’s descriptions of the country, her explanations of historical events intermingled with Greek mythology, made me fall in love with Greece. The setting is on the island of Patmos. You will learn that the evangelist, St. John wrote the Book of Revelation here. The island is very popular with Greek tourists. It’s like the snow birds in the US going south for the ...more
L.A.
Posted first to Blog Critics as Book Review: 'When The Devil's Idle, a Greek Island Mystery,' by Leta Serafim.

In When The Devil’s Idle by Leta Serafim, we follow the scene of a murder that is both troubling and odd. An elderly man is found on an isolated estate brutally murdered. The place this murder occurs is highly restricted to outsiders, and at the time of the murder the gate is bolted.

The family living there consists of a husband and wife and their two younger children. The murder victim i
Victor Gentile
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Leta Serafim her new book, “When The Devil’s Idle” Book Two in the Greek Islands Mystery series published by Coffeetown Press gives us another mystery with Yiannis Patronas.

From the back cover: In the Book of Revelation, written by St. John on the Greek island of Patmos, it was said a pale horse would appear whose rider was death, others would cry out for vengeance, and the stars of heaven would fall to the earth.

Camille
Apr 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When the Devil's Idle by Leta Serafim is the second book in the Greek Islands Mystery series. Once again an engaging mystery by Ms. Serafim. Her Chief Officer Patronasis once engaged in a homicide, but this time it involves the death of a German old man which unravels to terrible secrets from 1943 revolving around Gestapo in a Greek village during WWII.
Excellent writing by the author and look forward to Book 3. Highly recommend this series!!
Wendy
Feb 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
The full spectrum of Greek experience is here, from the glories of ancient history to the angst of a society squeezed by austerity and strained by refugees - and, in between, the horrors of World War II. Somehow, the author has managed to weave all of this into a compelling detective story about a mysterious death. This book would be the perfect read for someone headed for Greece, but it's equally good for an armchair traveler. I'll look forward to the next in the series.
Jan
Dec 20, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is really more of a 3.5 star book...I'd like to check out the first book in the series since I enjoyed this one. The characters are interesting. (Even if I wouldn't choose to live with their quirky views of women!) And the setting is unique. The plot was sufficiently complex to keep me thinking, & the historical context added to my engagement as a the reader. Basically a good read in a small package...I'd recommend it to any lover of the mystery genre.
Doug Murphy
Annalise
May 02, 2017
Elenirodis
Sep 22, 2018
The daughter of an itinerant scientist, I was born in Wisconsin, spent the first years of my life in San Diego, before moving to Washington, D.C. when NASA was created and my father went to work for that agency. A genuine rocket scientist, he served there for twenty-five years in many capacities— Director of Unmanned Space, Director of Astronomy, Associate Administrator and Chief Scientist, and su ...more