Start by marking “Afternoon” as Want to Read:

Published August 3rd 2015 by JBS-Publishing and CreateSpace

To ask other readers questions about Afternoon, please sign up.

Susan
Dec 11, 2015 rated it really liked it

AFTERNOON is a year in the life of a teenager named Andrew. He has been having a tough time at life lately and then one day he almost drowns. While all this is going on, he has a visit from God. God gives him a second chance and he takes it. The first thing he does is apologize to his ex girlfriend Jane for not being there for her, for taking her for granted. This visit from God has truly changed his life and instead of fearing life he starts to embrace it.

I enjoyed AFTERNOON quite a bit and th
Bonita
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
Starting to read this book was confusing. The first chapter starts with two different scenes, and continues to alternate these scenes throughout the book. The confusion came because there were no markings between the scenes to let you know when you are moving from one to the other. The teenagers are swimming in a lake or pond, then some teacher is talking, and then the main character has a near death experience yet in the next moment he is talking to his parents. You never really get a descripti ...more
Lynn Demsky
Jul 10, 2017 rated it liked it
“Afternoon is a novella for young adults about courage, faith in Jesus Christ, and growing up in a surreal and challenging world.”
“AFTERNOON is a year in the life of a teenager named Andrew. He has been having a tough time at life lately and then one day he almost drowns. While all this is going on, he has a visit from God. God gives him a second chance and he takes it. The first thing he does is apologize to his ex-girlfriend Jane for not being there for her, for taking her for granted. This vi
Anne Rightler
Jun 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Afternoon by Robert Lampros is a young adult book that follows a teenager, Drew, through a number of snippets of his life one year. Interactions with family, teachers, friends, and Jesus show the different aspects of his life in a variety of situations. There is a strong thread of faith in a God who loves to give us second chances. An interesting book on several levels. I received a complimentary copy of this novella from the author and was not required to write a review. The opinions are my own ...more
Jessica Bronder
Apr 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Andrew, Drew, has been struggling lately. One day he almost drowns and during this time spends time with God. He learns how he is letting different things affect him and learns that everyone deserves a second chance. He then goes on to change his life for the better.

I like the idea of this story. We all deserve a second chance, especially when you see how things have gone off course and can see how to correct them. A lot of people never get to this point in their life and it’s a great message fo
Brian
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-by-me
NOTE: I received this book via a Goodreads Giveaway.

I liked where the author was going with this story but I just wish he had gotten all the way there.

His writing style is quite good but the layout of the story was a bit confusing. The hoping back and forth between scenes and characters were not delineated very well either through the fault of the printing layout or the author.

This story about the young man almost drowning and finding god is a plausible depending on your personal beliefs. Howe
Cynthia A
Jan 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: won-books-read
Andrew is a teenage boy that faces many struggles during the time frame of one year. His life started changing after a near death drowning and a visit from God. Andrew confronts his troubles and along the way he learns that everyone deserves a second chance.
I won this in a Goodreads giveaway and for the most part I enjoyed the book. Confusion came when the scenes changed because it was hard to recognize the change.
Darren
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I got this as a e-book from the author. I enjoyed reading this book. I liked the variety of characters in it. It would make a good tv movie.
shybooklover
Dec 23, 2017 rated it liked it
For the most part it was an okay book. being only 104 pages, it was rushed and fasted paced. There was a couple of parts where it got very confusing but if you look past the flaws.it really was a okay book.
Vera
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Won a copy of this. It's a short novella for young adults. It's a challenging world and everyone needs a 2nd chance. A good one to have on hand if need a short book to read.
Ruth B
Oct 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
Rating: 2.5 stars

Afternoon is the story of teenage boy, Andrew, and a year of his life. We witness some events that according to him defined him and changed him somehow.

First, the good points: I liked how the story enters his life and we travel with him through the events. But we left him and his journey is meant to continue. The book show just a fragment of his life and unlike other books, this one hasn’t got the classical structure of: beginning, conflict and conclusion, this one is just a gla
Elisa
Jan 06, 2016 rated it liked it
This story follows a kid named Drew as he tries to figure out his way in life. I actually liked the way it was written. You see little snippets of scenes, mostly driven by dialogue. It flowed nicely through all the snapshots of Drew's life, from hanging out with friends and family to going to school.

It was a little difficult for me to get through only because the "point" of the story wasn't clear to me. The conflict/twists were hard to understand because of the snapshot-y way it was written. Now
Ivory M
Feb 23, 2016 rated it liked it
This is my second book I have read by this author and I like his writing style. It is vivid and brings the characters to life. The only thing I disliked about the story is that there wasn't any way to tell when the scene was going to jump. It would catch me off guard as the new scenes didn't go in chronological order. I think it is a good concept as the reader gets to experience different aspects of Andrew's life.

Andrew has a life changing experience after nearly drowning and realizes that he ha
David Duncan
Aug 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Afternoon, by Robert Lampros, is my one hundred and thirteenth book that I have received and read from Goodreads. This story is about Andrew, a year in the life of this young man, that has changed his life forever. It starts out he is at his cousin's birthday party paintballing. Then all of a sudden you were in a school classroom, then from the classroom you are somewhere else. For me this jumping around makes it hard for me to follow the story line. There is a couple of times when the author ha ...more
Andra Weis
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
Afternoon is a short novella revolving around one year in the life of Andrew. The story is narrated by Andrew, through his eyes. the author indicates the story is for young adults about courage, faith in Jesus Christ, and growing up in a surreal and challenging world.

While I may not be the target audience (young adult), I did find the story did engage me throughout - if for nothing else than I wanted to "get" what the author was trying to tell. However, at times difficult to follow given that we
Angie Flom
Jan 03, 2016 rated it did not like it
I liked the idea behind the story - following a teenager through a year of his life, how he reacts to difficulties that occur and an encounter with Jesus.

Unfortunately it was very fragmented. At times the narrative would jump around so much I had to backtrack to understand the authors intent.

Felt that there were multiple story ideas included that were not completely developed.

Story would benefit from more character development through 'showing' their feelings and needs rather than straight ou
Sally
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016-books-read
I believe Robert Lampros who wrote this book has seriously good potential. This was his second book and it was intended for youth to read it and understand it. I am a great-grandma and I am open to all sorts of reading, mostly Christian-based.
I plan to loan this book to a teen to get her perspective since I felt lost at times, so perhaps it is my issue.
As I feel understood his main character, Andrew, he was trying to understand himself as well as others. Until his life-changing experience he w
Elvisa
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As an atheist and a Saint Louisan, I have to say that I don't usually read this genre. However, I sincerely enjoyed reading about young Andrew and his interpretation of spirituality. If I could change one thing about the story it would be, probably, lower the number of characters. Other than that, I enjoyed the fast paced story line. It did end abruptly and I wished it had continued a bit. Maybe there is a part 2?
Gwen
Oct 21, 2015 rated it liked it
I didn't really "get" Afternoon. It rambled around, jumped from thought to thought and was difficult to get into. It was semi Christian in its content, but I'm not really sure I understood the theology it was espousing. I will be giving it to my teenaged granddaughter to see if she has a different viewpoint.

I received this book free from Goodreads First Reads.
PennsyLady (Bev)
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
(Robert Lampros)

This YA novella pivots around a young man named Andrew and a life changing year.

"Another thing that I Iearned is that God gives us second chances, and that's what this trip is for me, a second chance at life." (Andrew, page 104)
This is a given.
Now, will Jane give him a second chance?

reply | edit | delete | flag *

Shawna Fox
Oct 26, 2015 rated it liked it
I was hoping this would be an excellent read; however, I was left really confused by it. It really jumped around, so I was not sure what was going on half the time. While I think the story line was ok it just wasn't told in an orderly way. I will be handing it off to my daughter in hopes that she can maybe understand it better than I did.
Stephanie
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
I had an extremely difficult time reading this book. It was disjointed and bounced back and forth. It was a very confusing read. I wish it had been easier to read as I really enjoy reading Christian books.
Donna
Jan 03, 2016 rated it liked it
I just received this book on 4/2/16 opened the package and read at one sitting. Not being a young adult I had a hard time relating the the plot of the massage in the book. But thank you for sending it to me.
Jenn
Dec 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-won
I won a copy of this book on Library Thing.

The story was okay. The book was a quick read. It follows a teenager who almost drowns and meets God.
Liesje
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Tina
Jan 06, 2016 marked it as to-read
I have not received the book yet. But if and when I do I will let you know what I think.

Thanks
Sharon
Dec 15, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dec-2015
I received this book from the author.

I didn't really enjoy this book at all. It is very disjointed. It's hard to figure out who's talking and what is happening. It also ended very abruptly.
Rebekah Tooley
Dec 14, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a pleasant short book! I can't wait to hear what Janes' answer is going to be!

*the author sent me this book via PDF in exchange for a honest review*
Vicky Boackle
Mar 05, 2016 rated it liked it
I have not received .
Jake Beard
Dec 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a perfect book for young Christian teens, or those that feel lost. The book provides a message of second chances, which we all need from time to time!
All About YA : Afternoon Chp. 1 & 2 1 8 Jan 30, 2016 07:55PM
♥ Nothing Better ...: Afternoon Chp. 1 & 2 1 3 Jan 30, 2016 07:41PM
The YA Book Club: Afternoon (Sample Chapter) 2 18 Jan 30, 2016 07:22PM
The Wide Web of F...: Afternoon (free copies) 3 10 Dec 29, 2015 07:37PM
Contemporary YA: Afternoon (free copies) 3 8 Dec 29, 2015 02:51AM
Young Adult Book ...: Afternoon (free copies) 2 23 Dec 29, 2015 02:15AM
Free Books, .99, ...: 50 free copies of Afternoon 1 14 Dec 29, 2015 02:14AM

• The Cemetery Club (Darcy & Flora Cozy Mystery #1)
  • Mine -Uncut Version (Mine #1)
  • Facebook Jeanie
  • Out of Practice (Breakup Doctor #4)
  • The Mercury Travel Club
  • Sugar Babies
  • Oath of Servitude (The Punishment Sequence #1)
  • Java Frost (Cupid's Coffeeshop, #1)
  • Torn: The Story of an Undeserving Wallaby Drowning in a Septic Tank
  • Forward
  • Peyton's Choice
  • Rising Calm (Rising Calm #1)
  • Painter Place (Painter Place Saga #1)
  • Longbourn's Songbird
  • And Never Say Goodbye (Town of Destiny #2)
  • Righteous Obsession
  • Incredulity
  • Lost in Tokyo
Robert Lampros is an author of Christian poetry, essays, and fiction who lives in St. Louis. He earned a Bachelor’s in English Literature from Washington University in St. Louis. His books include Fits of Tranquility, Afternoon, Last Year’s Resolution, and Undivided Lines.