Start by marking “The World of Cycling According to G” as Want to Read:
The World of Cycling According to G

The World of Cycling According to G

Sit back or saddle up as double Olympic gold medallist and multiple world champion Geraint Thomas gives you a warts and all insight into the life of a pro cyclist. Along the way he reveals cycling's clandestine codes and secret stories, tales from the peloton, the key characters like Wiggins, Hoy and Cav, the pivotal races and essential etiquette.

Geraint Thomas is treasur

Published October 29th 2015 by Quercus

Start your review of The World of Cycling According to G
Adrian
Oh gosh, how do I rate this, well as you can see I've given it 3 stars. Yes I did enjoy it, especially the last quarter, but prior to that I found it too disjointed.
I am a keen follower of cycling, both track and grand tours, as well as a keen cyclist, and have read a few biographies of past and present heroes. I must admit I prefer the biographies that follow a timeline ( like Racing Through the Dark by David Millar) rather than books that have "topic" focussed chapters.
That said, it was still
Ruth
Jan 01, 2016 rated it liked it
"Hey, Geraint, here's an easy way to earn a bit of dosh. You just sit and ramble about life as a professional cyclist. I record it and write it into some sort of structure."

"Do I get to talk about bodily functions, sleep, going out for beers, and NOT going out for beers?"

"Course you do. You're a Cardiff boy, aren't you? What else would we expect?"

"Do you want me to talk about drugs, or anything controversial?"

"No mate. Just keep it to the peeing, training, sleeping and drinking."

"Cracking."
Pete Duffy
Aug 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
A very disorganized ghosted collection of observations and anecdotes thrown together into random subject chapters. Also it's very bland, written while he was still a rising star (of course at the top of the tree now since the 2018 TdF), he has not a single critical word about anyone or any governing body, drugs are not even mentioned once! However I still give it 3 stars because it does (eventually after a slow start) get into its stride and gives interesting and revealing insights into the dail ...more
pedro
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Funny, insightful down to earth. Did I mention it was funny? It is. A lot. Very well humored, besides telling his journey into the world of cycling, it does offer tips and advises to any aspiring pro-cyclist or weekend warrior.
I've met Geraint Thomas last year, when he wore yelloow for the first time that season, on to win the Tour. He his indeed what you grasp from the book he might be.

Allez Gee!
Colin Swinburn
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography, sport
Great read for a weekend cyclist. Particularly liked the sections of the dos and don'ts of cycling. "Don't have 3 front cogs, have two and just keep trying till you get up hills." Sadly as a mature rider I'll be sticking with three front cogs. "Wear white socks with white shoes, black socks with black shoes"....totally agree....
Overall a nice book and Geraint Thomas comes across as a lovely guy who it would be fun to have a drink with. I loved his observations on topics of all sorts, and they so
Ivor Kovic
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very funny and entertaining book from the latest Tour de France winner. A cyclist with a vast experience across multiple disciplines. A very useful read for aspiring cyclists of any level, but also entertaining for anyone remotely interested in cycling and sports in general.
Karen
Jun 15, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cycling, non-fiction
I don't usually read biographies and definitely not from sports people, but I enjoyed reading this during the Tour de France. It gives an insight into the peloton and the world of the pro cyclist.

Geraint is such a good team player. It feels like I've met him now.

And in 2018, I saw him cycle in the Tour of Britain. Superb and exciting!
Daniel
Oct 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I think my favourite cycling book
AndrewCurry
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cycling
My wife bought me Thomas’ book to cheer me up—long before he won the Touur de France—and to be honest I postponed reading it for a while, through fear of disappointment. I like Thomas for his refreshing candour after races as well as his undoubted toughness. But I was worried that his publisher and ghostwriter would have packaged up his ‘Cheeky Taffy’ persona at the expense of the cycling.

As it happens, The World According to G does have a fair amount of humour in here (for example, on the diffi
3.5 stars. I've tagged this as autobiography, but it isn't really - it's a book about cycling (does what it says on the tin). It does have a fair amount about Thomas's past, but it's all focused on cycling.

Which is absolutely fine with me. I like an auto/biography now and then, but I'm generally more interested in reading about the career/life/event that people are famous for than about their childhood and schooldays.

I'm a relatively new fan of competitive cycling (both track and road - I blam
Heather Belleguelle
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I became a real fan of road cycling this summer when a minor injury confined me to the sofa during the last two weeks of the Tour de France. Along with every other British cycling fan, I was gripped with the race as Geraint Thomas made his way to victory in Paris. Therefore, when this book popped up on Kindle daily deal earlier this month, it was a bargain I wanted to snap up. It made an interesting and entertaining read, with information and anecdotes all told with Geraint’s dry and self-deprec ...more
Matt
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not quite similar to the cycling books I've been reading as of late. No mention of doping, no controversies, no negativity - just a straight-up, interesting cycling biography.

Needless to say you need to be interested in cycling, and to not have a hatred of Team Sky to enjoy this one, but Geraint's book was a really good read for me.
I've been interested in cycling for about 2 years now, so still chomping through all these books and viewings with my milk teeth but this was a really good biography.
James
Jan 16, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
You could tell this was ghost written by the same author as Crouch's book, as it had the same chatty style, quick to make light-hearted fun of mates but also discuss the more serious aspects of the sport.

The structure of this book is also much like Crouch's, and by moving between topics rather than giving a chronological account, it allows Thomas to touch on pet topics like coffee and food without the feeling it's too much of a tangent. Unsurprisingly, some subjects are more interesting than ot
Peter
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An amusing, entertaining and fascinating book that also shows a deeper side to Geraint Thomas. That side is one of a deeply dedicated, intelligent, competitive cyclist, one of the best in the world. Along the way he never forgets his sense of humour, after all, “it’s only a cycle race”. My only disappointment is he makes no comment on the cheating philosophy of the likes of Lance Armstrong. Thomas rode his first TDF in 2007 so he must have come across this aspect of cycling and no doubt has opin ...more
John Thurlbeck
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: autobiographies
Autobiographies are not usually my interest, but I was loaned this book while on holiday in New Zealand, and then returned to it once Thomas had won the Tour De France to complete it. I was distracted by other reading material along the way but got there in the end.

It is funny, witty, and sickeningly grim in places, especially when you grasp the true inner life of a professional cyclist. Their life is a gruelling one, and to win the Tour probably took every ounce of grit and determination built
Jo Highton
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lighthearted, full of gentle humour, I found it fun to hear about life inside the world of professional cycling from the likeable G. He joined British cycling at the exciting time of the push for olympic success, tour success, the new era of Dave Brailsford, marginal gains and clean cycling. A new, exciting and joyful time. His pronouncements about the various countries he trains and races in are very entertaining. A great read for anyone who cycles or follows the sport.
Rob
Jun 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Just a little bit too gentle to make a really interesting read. None of the dirt spilt about those involved in the sport that Geraint has crossed.

Maybe you have to have retired from the sport before you can spill the beans.

If I was going to do a digested read it would be that you have to train hard, eat extremely carefully, be on the cutting edge of science and when you win and the season is over you can have a wild night out.
Stuart Malcolm
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this because it was different to the usual chronological autobiography. The thematic style makes Thomas come across as more human rather than the dull robots that some sportsmen seem to be. It probably helps to have some knowledge of cycling before reading this book as otherwise it might be a bit confusing in places - it will be interesting to see if the inevitable post Tour victory update changes anything.
Phil Small
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
I like Geraint Thomas but this a completely unenlightening slice of ghostwritten fluff. A stocking filler, inoffensive but ultimately empty. There’s nothing here that you can’t read elsewhere and the quips the ghostwriter litters throughout really jar. With so many good cycling books out there (Racing Through The Dark, Rough Ride, even The Climb) don’t bother with this unless you want to dash through something light in a few hours.
Hari
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An insider’s simply written account of life as a professional cyclist. Filled with snippets about what drives professional sportspersons, growing up in Wales, changes in training methods and technologies and the characters that make up modern day professional cycling. Five stars simply because there is so much in this book that you cannot find elsewhere - especially following Armstrong’s fall from Grace.
John Barclay
Jul 18, 2019 rated it liked it
This is an interesting book if you want to know about what it is to be a pro cyclist right at the moment. Thomas is a fun and engaging writer and tells his story from a personal angle, but there's not a lot of substance here. It's ALL about the cycling, but then it's clear that his whole life is all about that too.

A young man's book but fun and worth it if that's what you want.
Lee Drew
May 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As a fellow welshman and keen cyclist, I knew this book was never going to disappoint. His journey to the top is inspiring and throughout this book he talks about his highs and lows of training, tours and race days. His humour and commitment to cycling makes this book fascinating, charming and informative.
Adrian Griffiths
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a typically Welsh viewpoint on the sport of professional cycling. It has a good insight into the sport and explains some of the subtlties of racing in a Grand Tour with team Sky and on the track, racing in the velodrome.
Ruth Taylor
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
G is one of my fave cyclists

Being the cycling fan I am I have been watching the tour de France, la vuelta, the tour of Britain for the last few years. I have always watched the cycling at the Olympics both Rio, London and Beijing. G has fast become one of my fave cyclists. I follow him on Twitter and Facebook, so I thought it time to read his book. It's a great in sight into the cycling world and what it takes to be a pro of road and track. I admire him even more now.
Chance Barber
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun read! Great insight into the new Tour de France champion. Seems like a great guy. Easy read, and behind the scenes look into Olympic experience & life as a top pro. I particularly enjoyed “the rules” & “race day” sections. ...more
Filip Olšovský
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
What makes this a much better read than majority of other similiar biographies are two things – Geraint's British sense of humour which works great on the paper and the fact he has stories to tell. Not some average stories but those of a TdF and Olympic winner.
Malcolm Schaffer
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Entertaining read

Confess I only bought this because on special offer but reallytoyed.cleverly structured by topics ,nice sense of humour ,not too full of himself despite his achievements,this gives a good picture of their ed of a professional cyclist
Jim Dennison
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is one of those books you browse in the bookshop ... end up reading half the book and realise you'd better buy it as a result.

Unusually for this type of book - its not really about the author (Team Sky domestique Geraint Thomas). It's certainly not a biography. Instead its a series of articles ... grouped into chapters ... about life at the bleeding edge of Cycle Racing. Certainly if you're a bit of a MAMIL (like me) it will have you hooked.

It captures topics - based on his experiences - ra
Sam
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very entertaining and laugh out loud funny in places. Not the usual boing from a sports star, but how G's world works, loved it.
Gene
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Tons of info but with a few too many local Welsh/British terms that never get explained. A great look inside racing & into his mind. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Climb: The Autobiography
  • Racing Through the Dark
  • My Time
  • Seven Deadly Sins: My Pursuit of Lance Armstrong
  • The Racer: Life on the Road as a Pro Cyclist
  • The Secret Race: Inside the Hidden World of the Tour de France: Doping, Cover-ups, and Winning at All Costs
  • My World
  • Cav: At Speed
  • Pro Cycling on $10 a Day: From Fat Kid to Euro Pro
  • Inside Team Sky: The Inside Story of Team Sky and Their Challenge for the 2013 Tour de France
  • Triumphs and Turbulence: My Autobiography
  • Domestique: The Real-life Ups and Downs of a Tour Pro
  • Shut Up, Legs!: My Wild Ride On and Off the Bike
  • Draft Animals: Living the Pro Cycling Dream (Once in a While)
  • Rough Ride: Behind the Wheel with a Pro Cyclist