Start by marking “Men, Martians and Machines” as Want to Read:
Men, Martians and Machines

Men, Martians and Machines

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  164 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Voyage of the Marathon - Even at the time when space ships were making regular voyages across the universe, the MARATHON was a remarkable craft. Powered by the Flettner system, its speed was so great that for the first time exploration of the outer galaxies was made possible.

MEN, MARTIANS AND MACHINES describes some of the great voyages made by the MARATHON. There was, for
Published January 1st 1965 by Berkley Publishing Corp. (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about Men, Martians and Machines, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Men, Martians and Machines

Rasheed
Collection of humorous linked short stories originally published between 1941 & 1955:
Jay Score 4.5/5
Mechanistria 5/5
Symbiotica 5/5
Mesmerica 5/5
Sandy
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More than four decades before Capt. Jean-Luc Picard and his mixed crew of Earthlings, aliens and android made their initial appearance in "Star Trek: The Next Generation," English author Eric Frank Russell was charming readers with his tales of a similarly composed starship crew. Russell (1905 – '78) had been a contributor to John W. Campbell's seminal "Astounding Science-Fiction" magazine since 1937, when it was simply called "Astounding Stories" (Campbell would, years later, name Russell as hi ...more
vaughn
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the earliest SciFi books (short stories) that totally knocked me out. I still remember most of the stories from all those years ago when I can't remember where I put my freaking keys.
Fantasy Literature
More than four decades before Capt. Jean-Luc Picard and his mixed crew of Earthlings, aliens and android made their initial appearance in Star Trek: The Next Generation, English author Eric Frank Russell was charming readers with his tales of a similarly composed starship crew. Russell (1905 – ’78) had been a contributor to John W. Campbell’s seminal Astounding Science-Fiction magazine since 1937, when it was simply called Astounding Stories (Campbell would, years later, name Russell as his favo ...more
Tom Cole
Aug 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Want to go to a strange bunch of worlds with strange people and other beings? Try this. Unusual. ERIC FRANK RUSSELL does it again.
Rita O'Connell
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Told through the voice of the sergeant-of-arms, this book tells the story of a crew of astronauts who voyage to different planets that the powers-that-be decide may hold native life and be a possible home to human life. Naturally, there's not a single woman present throughout the whole book. Still and all, Eric Frank Russell is an author I hold dear to my heart for his short story "Dear Devil." Entertaining and a funny read.
Ren Bedell
Apr 07, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book
Four SF short stories about an exploration group seeking out new planets. The primary focus of the stories is adventure. Each story is action packed with a brand new danger from an unknown planet. The stories can be fun for an adventure fix, but that's about it. Each story goes straight to the action so the characters don't really matter and the stakes are unimportant. It is a little outdated, as some of the descriptions are a bit convoluted, it stresses race a lot, and there are absolutely no f ...more
Kristy
May 28, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A set of four adventures from the rough-and-tumble crew of the Marathon -- a brand new spaceship capable of flying off to distant planets and checking out the life there. In no case is the life really all that friendly, and half the fun is following the crew of humans and Martians as they fall prey to, and mostly escape, a series of alien encounters. Oh and Martians are giant octopus kinds of beings that love to play chess and make snarky comments about how humans smell bad. Excellent 1940s/50s ...more
Lew
Mar 24, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: science-fiction
I'm a fan of older science fiction (30s-60s)but not this group of four short stories by Eric Frank Russell. It was a struggle to get through these stories. The stories are narrated by the Space Ship Marathon's XO as they visit newly discovered planets which are all hostile to the crew of the ship. I would not recommend anyone reading this book. It has a classic cover and that is it's only positive feature.
Bruce
Mar 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Russell is a bit of a hack. That was what authors had to do to sell in those days. But even hack work is 10 dB better than 0.99 of what is getting written today. This is what science fiction is all about: unbelievable plots, syndrome themes, new ideas that challenge the intelligence, and characters who show Halseyś dictum in action. If youŕe tired of the artificially sweetened soda pop that is contemporary science fiction this is lesser distillery single malt neat!
Cwp
Sep 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started reading science fiction as a teenager. I went through the usual authors of the time... Norton, Heinlein, Pohl... I happened to read this book and it scared the bajeezers out of me. This was different than anything that I had read to that point. Aliens that were not humanoid! Humans of different races and aliens all working together! Direct and subtle threats! I have read it many times since then and I am always thankful that it opened new worlds to me.
Stephanie
Jul 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This is a group of stories that revolves around the same captain and crew sent out to planets to investigate. While not Eric Frank Russell's best work, I really enjoyed it. Lot of action and smart ass comments between the crew (men and martians), as well as peril visiting each planet. Russell was a master of the short story and well worth a read, even if some parts are a bit dated.
Michael O.
Feb 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
I mostly bought this because it's also the title of a Gamma Ray song, but also because I'd heard good things about Russell and hadn't read him yet. The book is pretty standard SF, buoyed only by Russell's breezy, slangy style.
Craig Herbertson
Oct 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When writers were writers and SF was all about men conquering things and robots helping out or revolting. Russell is just a fantastic read. Nothing could probably match Wasp for verve but this series of linked stories of alien encounter and the more helpful robot is a great read
Scott
Nov 05, 2014 rated it liked it
This was not a bad collection of stories. It was a little dated at times and the first person narration got on my nerves a few times. Another odd feature about this story was that there was no female characters in the book. The most likable character was Jay Score the seven foot robot.
Peveril
Aug 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, sf-september
Throwing pocket atomic bombs indeed! The reality must have been so frightening when revealed.
Early EFR and a bit repetitive but it makes me want to reach for more . . .
Kevin Connery
Aug 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
introduction George Zebrowski ; foreword Isaac Asimov. Classic EFR, but it's more dated than most due to the settings.
Nonny
Aug 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wish he had written more short stories about this ship and its crew.
Michael Fortner
Feb 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
're read this from my youth. Very optimistic book unlike today's dystopian stuff
Frank
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Wolfbane
  • Citizen In Space
  • Martians, Go Home
  • The Mammoth Book of Golden Age Science Fiction: Ten Classic Stories from the Birth of Modern Science Fiction Writing
  • Mimsy Were the Borogoves
  • The Best of Stanley G. Weinbaum
  • The Best of Damon Knight
  • The Peregrine
  • The Best of John W. Campbell (US)
  • The Humanoids (Humanoids #1)
  • Destination: Universe!
  • Empire
  • Star Surgeon (Sector General, #2)
  • Doctor Who: Human Resources, Part Two
  • Starswarm
  • More Tales of Pirx the Pilot
  • Man From P.I.G. And R.O.B.O.T. (Puffin Books)
Eric Frank Russell was a British author best known for his science fiction novels and short stories. Much of his work was first published in the United States, in John W. Campbell's Astounding Science Fiction and other pulp magazines. Russell also wrote horror fiction for Weird Tales, and non-fiction articles on Fortean topics. A few of his stories were published under pseudonyms, of which Duncan ...more
More about Eric Frank Russell...