Start by marking “Designing Your Life: Build a Life that Works for You” as Want to Read:
Designing Your Life: Build a Life that Works for You

Designing Your Life: Build a Life that Works for You

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  5,287 Ratings  ·  532 Reviews
*** The #1 New York Times Bestseller ***

Whether we’re 20, 40, 60 or older, many of us are still looking for an answer to that perennial question, ‘What do you want to be when you grow up?’ In Designing Your Life, Silicon Valley design innovators Bill Burnett and Dave Evans use their expertise to help you work out what you want – and how to get it.

Their phenomenally succes
Published September 15th 2016 by Chatto Windus (first published May 5th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Designing Your Life, please sign up.
Dan S I think high school students might find the chapter called "Failure Immunity" helpful and interesting. Good topics for class discussion.

James
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I actually thought this was going to be more about life rather than focusing on just work. Dschool and DT apologists will insist that this stuff can be applied to life too, but that's a farking load of steaming hot BS. It's about work. Full stop.

And, sure, okay, the method in the book probably works for that...or at least a fairly narrow sub-set of highly skilled and highly valued workers in large urban areas. People who are basically on track for a good career no matter what. For people who a)
D
Jan 31, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Try Stuff

Health/Work/Play/Love dashboard

1. Write a few sentences about how it's going in each of the 4 areas
2. Mark where you are (0 to Full)
3. Ask yourself if there's a design problem you'd like to tackle
4. Now ask yourself if it's a problem of 'gravity' (not one that's gonna change).

Counsel vs Advice
Someone helps you figure out what you think vs telling you what to do

Integrity -

Good Time Journal

1. Complete a log of daily activ
Savannah Peterson
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What an excellent read! This is going to be my "Christmas of 2016" gift for friends and family. There's the reframe of a dysfunctional belief or Life Design tip for everyone inside. It's especially timely for the recent grad, the restless mid-career professional, or the encore passion seeker ready for a change.

Admittedly, I've been a Design Thinker for awhile, so the concepts here were not too foreign to me, but the application of them for my personal life very much was. Curiosity and prototypi
Kim
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
The concept behind this book was great - applying Design Thinking to designing your own life. But The actual content was fairly light, fairly uninstructive, and, to be frank, quite unaware of its own privilege. To apply the concepts in this book, you have to have the financial and personal capacity to put the ideas into action. The issue that the book displays no awareness of this fact.
Alexis
Feb 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Job Hunters
While this book offered helpful advice, I found by the end that it was difficult to read and complete the activities. As someone who works with designers (and lives with one), I found it difficult to suspend my disbelief and accept the idealized vision of designers and design thinking in this book. I don't know any designers who are as put together as this book makes it sound like they are, nor do I know any designers who actively use all the steps of "design thinking". I also found the business ...more
Gaylord Dold
Jan 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
Only two Stanford academics could sell the
idea that one designs a life the way one designs
a car. Life surprises, daunts, accepts gratefully
and surrenders grudgingly--mostly those things
that people strive toward. Sometimes there are
surprises, by-ways, tunnels and dead-ends we
deal with on a case-by-case basis. Mostly, our
character is fate, as Nietzsche said. I guess it was
the fate of Stanford to hire life designers and to
let their classes become popular. The rest of us
just have to muddle through s
Melinda
Hearing a story about this book on NPR motivated me to purchase Designing Your Life: How to Think Like a Designer and Build a Well-Lived, Joyful Life. In all, I am pleased to have purchased and read this book. First, it gave me a different lens by which to view my life. Second, it allowed me to look at my youngest child and see how she is a natural born designer, and increased my desire to nurture her approach to life. The book is to-the-point and easy to read, combing ideas with real life stori ...more
Brandice
Jun 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Designing Your Life offers some useful tips in regard to making changes. While it can apply to other areas, the majority of the book focused on career applications which is practical, since the majority of us tend to spend most of our time at work. There was useful information throughout the book that I think can apply to most people seeking some type of change - small or drastic, but I personally didn't think the tips were groundbreaking or crazy game changers. Just ways to reframe some of the ...more
Max Nova
Nov 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I had been diligent enough to write down my mental models of the world and publish them in book form. Luckily, in "Designing Your Life", Burnett and Evans have already done all the hard work for me! The nuggets-to-fluff ratio is pretty high and they hit most of the high points. This is required reading for all college students.

The key idea of the book is that you have lots of dysfunctional mental models that are holding you back. Here are the key takeaways:

* Forget your "passion". You hav
Allison
While I can come up with a few groups who might not benefit from this book, I would think in general most would take away something to help them in their approach to life. The authors provide helpful anecdotes, exercises, and insight to guide the reader on the path of living intentionally.

As a Christian, I understandably found the lack of spirituality and reliance on self didn't fully align with my worldview. However, this book is a framework, and I think with thoughtfulness can be used by peopl
Jeanny
Jul 01, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book counts towards my literary genius JULY book challenge Read 6 non-fiction books this year. Book 1 of 6 (audible version)

I don’t know why authors choose to release audio versions of their books but fail to hire professional narrators. I’ve yet to listen to a book in which the author read his/her own work & I thought the performance couldn’t have been improved upon. This was an especially bad decision for this book. The authors are university professors & their performance (imo)
Christina Helen Birch
Mar 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: pd
This book is excellent at *what it does*, which is providing a framework for thinking and working through major career changes. Even though I'm not looking for a new job, I found plenty of useful exercises to sink my teeth into, allowing me to imagine my way forward into new approaches within the job I do have.

So why only three stars? Poor expectation management: It's not entirely clear from the title or the blurb that this book is exclusively about designing your career, and when I started read
Emmy H. Nathasia
I was excited to read this book as I have hope that it will give me a step-by-step guidance on how to design the life I want.

Yes, it did give me that.

But I find that the explanation leans more towards mechanical process and how to, to an extent that it lacks the warmth of story-telling that I love. They do share examples of experiences and stories of other people related to the topic of discussion but for me, the stories didn't stick.

However, let me share a few interesting notes in the book that
Muhammad  Nasef
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
هو ده الكتاب الي تقدر تقول عليه فعلا كتاب تنمية ذات .
Yazaid Ahmed
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most amazing books I have ever read

I give it 5 stars because the concepts and ideas in it are so powerful and positive. Majority of them aligned perfectly well with even my faith.

There are concepts and ideas that when you learn will make life interesting to you just by knowing that there are actually people who think a certain way or have a certain point of view on the same things that once seemed daunting for you which will make the same things exciting for you.

I was so excited and h
Shreyans Goenka
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I approached this book with a healthy dose of skepticism, reserved for all books in the 'self-help' genre. I was curious to give this book a try as it was based on a very popular Stanford course. True to its reviews, this is quite an exceptional book. Though, none of the ideas written here are particularly revolutionary, they are just written in such a approachable, easy, and convincing manner you can't help but be engaged. I already see myself thinking differently about my future and life choic ...more
Anita
Apr 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
While swiftly walking through my neighborhood with a couple friends, talking and hopping from topic to topic like we were speed dating with a three minute limit, I mentioned thoughts of heading back out into the world of the employed; however, with no planned direction, which is when this book was recommended by one of the friends.

The co-authors, who have extensive technical backgrounds, morphed from corporate work to collaborating material for the popular Design Program at Stanford to a brand t
Juvoni
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I found Designing Your Life, to focus more on designing one's career, with patterns that could be applicable to one's personal life. The book teaches you how to think more like a designer with an emphasis on prototyping and iteration. The core mind-sets to learn are curiosity, bias to action, reframing, awareness and radical collaboration. The exercises were helpful in helping you to figure out how to approach the problems you come across in your life and design the right solutions and attitudes ...more
Sara
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found the book to be helpful and worth reading. Many of the points they made were things that I'd previously considered, but they elaborated or reframed many of them and, especially important to me, encouraged you not to dwell on or agonize over things. For me, it helped refocus my attention different aspects - let's hope I can keep it up!

I checked the book out of the library and it really is best completed as a workbook, which is difficult when I only had the book for two weeks. For example,
Volodymyr Dehtyarov
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Дослушал отличную книгу Designing your own life. Авторы преподают одноимённый курс в Стэнфорде и применяют навыки дизайн-мышления, чтобы помочь студентам и клиентам создать свою, а не навязанную обществом жизнь. Украду несколько интересных упражнений для работы с коучинг клиентами и для курса Осознанность. Основные мысли:
- идеальной работы нет, пока вы её не создадите сами;
- не ходите на собеседования, ходите на беседы с людьми, которые занимаются тем, что вам интересно;
- стройте разные сценарии
Michael Feehly
Insipid and deceptive. I expected something more rigorous: the application of design thinking principles to life-planning. Instead this was 5% design and 95% the same content as every other self-help potboiler. Stanford should be upset that the authors' market this book as the content of a course taught on their campus. Because this is at most the content of two lectures, not at all what would be expected over an entire semester.
Losa
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
YAS I DID IT.

It took me so long to finish this book because I'd get caught up in trying to perfectly complete all the worksheets & exercises. (Update: I didn't, but I made sure to write a little bit or reflect about each end of chapter exercise). Also you can only digest so much of a self-help/life-improvement book at a time.

Anyway, a recommendable book with a calming, encouraging, and thoughtful tone about living your best life. I particularly liked all the real life examples they gave. Als
Cat
Jul 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Darya Conmigo
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, how-to
Highly recommended for its practical, no BS approach to life design. No “you can do it” mantras, just lots of exercises, from energy/engagement logs to brainstorms on your possible futures. Very solid thoughts and practical advice on career, finding a job, and making it a dream job.

You will get out of this book as much as you will put into it though, so don’t skip the exercises parts.
Vassilena Valchanova
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
An interesting and practical read that helps you apply design thinking principles to life planning and professional development. Get ready for a lot of work while reading - each chapter is an exercise in itself!
Ying Ying
The book invites us to approach life with the curiosity of a designer and to prototype without fear of failure. The last chapter has been the most enlightening of all; the mind-sets described therein will guide us all along the way.
Jason Pettus
I'm posting the last of my 2017 reads here this month without reviews, so that they'll count towards this year's Goodreads Reading Challenge. Full review coming in early 2018.
Kristopher Muir
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Want to take one of the most popular courses at Stanford University? Well, you can, almost. “Designing Your Life” is based on the course taught by Dave Evans and Bill Burnett at Stanford the past 10+ years. Their methodology is rooted in design thinking, a human-centered process for solving problems. Design thinking prioritizes empathy for the user as well as a bias toward action in generating ideas and prototyping representations of those ideas, designing your way forward.

What if you applied de
Randy
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A better book on career planning than others I've seen. This stands out for its use of prototyping your options (which should include more on interviewing folks in jobs you're considering, rather than volunteering in related settings, which is usually unenlightening, IME).

Written by an engineer, the theses show a greater emphasis on validation, error detection and robustness than other career books. Alas, because the authors teach at Stanford, their audience is 20-sommethings, who know nothing
Katherine Congleton
Read this. Now. I can't think of a better way to put the growth mindset into practice. This book inspires you to always stay curious, to always aim for alignment between your work and life values, and to always seek others who will help you in your path to personal and professional growth.

Nonfiction Deals

$12.99 $3.99
    $15.99 $2.99
  • By Myself and Then Some
    $11.74 $1.99
  • The Fifth Agreement: A Practical Guide to Self-Mastery (A Toltec Wisdom Book)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • Shakespeare Never Did This
    $6.99 $1.99
  • No Compromise: The Life Story of Keith Green
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Wish You Happy Forever: What China's Orphans Taught Me About Moving Mountains
    $14.74 $1.99
  • The Prize: Who's in Charge of America's Schools?
    $12.99 $2.99
    $18.95 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Founding Mothers
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation (Kindle Edition)
  • Around My French Table: More Than 300 Recipes from My Home to Yours
    $7.95 $2.49
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Identical Strangers: A Memoir of Twins Separated and Reunited
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Life of Lobsters: How Fishermen and Scientists Are Unraveling the Mysteries of Our Favorite Crustacean
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Fierce Patriot: The Tangled Lives of William Tecumseh Sherman
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success: A Practical Guide to the Fulfillment of Your Dreams
  • The Reaper: Autobiography of One of the Deadliest Special Ops Snipers
  • Our Revolution: A Future to Believe In
  • On Becoming a Novelist
    $17.99 $1.99
“A well-designed life is a life that is generative—it is constantly creative, productive, changing, evolving, and there is always the possibility of surprise. You get out of it more than you put in. There is a lot more than “lather, rinse, repeat” in a well-designed life.” 3 likes
“It doesn’t matter where you come from, where you think you are going, what job or career you have had or think you should have. You are not too late, and you’re not too early.” 3 likes