Start by marking “Murder and Mayhem (Murder and Mayhem, #1)” as Want to Read:
Murder and Mayhem (Murder and Mayhem, #1)

Murder and Mayhem

(Murder and Mayhem #1)

7 hrs 44 mins

Dead women tell no tales.

Former cat burglar Rook Stevens stole many a priceless thing in the past, but he’s never been accused of taking a life—until now. It was one thing to find a former associate inside Potter’s Field, his pop culture memorabilia shop, but quite another to stumble across her dead body.

Detective Dante Montoya thought he’d never see Rook
Audible Audio, 8 pages
Published August 4th 2015 by Dreamspinner Press LLC (first published June 5th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Murder and Mayhem, please sign up.
Sherry Ehhhh....it's more that it's referenced as part of a history but there aren't any present day events.…moreEhhhh....it's more that it's referenced as part of a history but there aren't any present day events. (less)

Start your review of Murder and Mayhem (Murder and Mayhem, #1)
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*3.5 stars*

I'm a huge Rhys Ford fan. HUGE. I'm obsessed with her Cole McGinnis series, and I have my favorite coffee mug to prove it. (view spoiler)

I'm always a little apprehensive when I start a romantic suspense series. I mean, romantic suspense and I are not the best of friends, but I just LOVE Rhys other stuff so much that I had to give it a go.

I think that, overall, this is a really well conceived book. Lots of banter, lots of action, and some REALLY hot sexual chemistry
Line
Re-read number 237, and Rook and Dante are STILL some of my favourite MCs! Now, this is how you do a MM-mystery-romance<3

------------------------------------------------

So I think I have finally found a book by Rhys Ford that hits ALL of my buttons.
I have liked, and almost loved, quite a few of her books, but I hadn't yet found one that was perfect! And I think... I think this one is IT.

We have a mystery!
We have GREAT MCs, with quite a few differences.
We have GREAT supporting characters.
We
Ingie
Written September 27, 2015

3.2 Stars - Easygoing, lighthearted and very smexy. Typical Ms Ford suspense

A new Rhys Ford series. — I got the 7:44 hrs audiobook narrated by Greg Tremblay (always yummy to listening to) and started with big expectations.
 photo image.jpg1_zpsrgyydpvj.jpg

Sorry to say this was pretty fun and nice but it didn't hook me. Just a tiny bit more than three stars for a Ms Ford M/M this time.

*********************************************************

Murder and Mayhem is a lighthearted contemporary M/M
Jenni Lea
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites

As with all of Rhys Ford's books, I loved every minute of this. I loved the characters in this book. I adored Dante to pieces and Rook, although he irked me at first, really grew on me by the end, especially when he finally let his walls come tumbling down. The secondary characters were, as always, outstanding. Manny and Archie were terrific side characters. Even Hank was well fleshed out and interesting.

The storyline was fast paced and wholly entertaining. I read this with glee. :)

The only
Diana
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

It took me awhile to get into this one. There was so many details and characters mentioned, I couldn’t figure out who was who. Once I settled down, I did enjoy the story, especially the main characters, Dante and Rook.

Homicide Detective Dante Montoya hoped he would never see Rook Stevens again, except in jail, even with their history. Now Rook is a suspect in a murder, but something just doesn’t fit with Dante. It isn’t until bullets start flying that Rook not only needs, but wants
Adam
Rhys Ford has so far been a mixed bag for me. I love her Sinners series, but didn't enjoy the Cole McGinnis series. So I went in to 'Murder and Mayhem' not knowing what to expect. I'm happy to report that it was a total win!

description

The murder mystery was very entertaining. It wasn't convoluted, and it kept me guessing. The plot was fast-paced, and had a fair bit of action. But it was all believable, and didn't have the hectic feeling that turned me off the Cole McGinnis series.

I really liked the
* A Reader Obsessed *
4 Stars

There’s definitely murder and mayhem here, but despite that, this was also one of Ford’s lighter fares, and it was highly enjoyable.

Rook is a retired thief, determined to go the straight and narrow despite detective Montoya’s drive to see him behind bars. He doesn't deny his attraction to the sexy cop, but Rook doesn’t dare think anything more will come of it. They’re like cats and dogs. Oil and water. Day and night. Inherent enemies to be forever at odds.

Despite wanting to put Rook
Susan
May 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

New contemporary/mystery series by Rhys Ford?! Hellllzzzz yeah! Let me at it!

I’m a fan of the author’s Cole McGinnis series and a HUGE fan of her Sinners series. I knew this would be a slam dunk. I really enjoy how the author lays out a mystery…details, timelines, suspects. I’m almost never sure of whodunnit too early, but what I also like is I’m never thrown a curveball that feels unbelievable. And let’s just say, Rhys Ford writes some of the sexiest characters around!

M&M is about Rook, a
Karen
I'm going short and sweet on this one...

While this is definitely one of the best audio books I've heard in a while. Greg Tremblay was the narrator and as always he did a superlative job with this one and yes, I could probably babble on more about how awesome the narration was but if you've ever listened to any of his audio books than chances are you know exactly of what I speak and if you haven't all I can say is 'seriously? you need to go to audible and listen to some samples...maybe, 'Murder
~Volha~
This is my second book by Rhys Ford and I loved it. Apart from wonderful mystery and two complex MCs she managed to breath life in Los Angeles and made it feel like it was another character. The descriptions were so vivid, so full of color and taste. Stunning!

Rook Stevens is a former thief who is caught up in a situation that leaves him seeking help from unexpected sources, people who he avoided half his life. It takes a lot for him to trust because everybody always leaves and lets him down.
Dalia
Feb 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, cops-detectives

Rook is a former cat burglar who's accused of killing a former associate inside Potter’s Field, his pop culture memorabilia shop. Stevens may have done some illegal things, but he doesn't do murder. He's determined to shake loose the murder charge against him no matter what.

Dante Montoya is a detective who spent days on hunting Stevens down, but each time the man slipped away. However, five years later they meet again. Dante catches Stevens covered in blood and wants to finally throw
Shile
Hmmm! well i enjoyed reading and listening to this book.

description

I switched to Audio-book when i saw the narrator was Greg Tremblay and he did not disappoint. 5 Stars for the Audio

This is my first book written by Rhys Ford and sure won't be the last. I loved her writing the story was flowing.

I Loved

-Dante the Cuban-Mexican cop.* fans self* I Loved him. He was loving , understanding, sweet and i liked how when he realized that he had feelings for Rook (Cuervo), he just went for it.

"And babe, I'll hold
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
4.5 Stars!

This was my first Rhys Ford read, and I must say I quite enjoyed it. I love romantic suspense but there has to be a good dose of romance to go along with the suspense.

And while this one may not have been quite as steamy as I prefer, there was enough and the storyline kept me engaged and guessing enough that it didn't bother me.

I loved, loved, loved Rook! He had that whole dark, damaged, mysterious thing going on. A bit of an ass at times.

Dante had the alpha thing going for him.
Nazanin ex-Profile
I loved Dante and Rook together. They were pretty hot and I can't wait to read more in the second book. It was my first time listening to Greg Tremblay and I really enjoyed it. It's also my second audiobook so it will still take some getting used to, but so far so good!
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
There’s a strange comfort in starting a book and knowing full well you’re going to love it, but not many authors can provide it. For me, Rhys Ford is one of those authors, proven by the fact that I just finished her 9th book, and enjoyed every single one of them. My favorite thing about Rhys is that she always brings cultural diversity in her books, allowing me to learn about different languages, customs and even food. It was Korea and Japan in her Cole McGinnis series, and now she brings us a ...more
Kaje Harper
Jul 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fast-paced mystery with two great main characters. I really enjoyed Rook, with his prickly defensiveness and his good heart and his unapologetic life. Dante is a lot of fun as the cop caught in an attraction to a suspect against his will. The secondary characters were very well done too, with a mix of attitudes that were fun to watch. The sex is hot, even if it happens to an injured Rook a bit too often. The guys really spark together and I totally bought their attraction.

It was on
Ami
2.75 stars rounded up

I know that Rhys Ford is one of the most popular authors in this genre, but I admit that I only have read three books form her. In the past three years since the last story of hers that I could finish, I tried a couple but I always gave up early. Just couldn't get into them.

When I saw that there book #2 of this series coming would be released in September, I thought, okay I would give this one a try because it fell into what-I-believe to be romantic suspense.

Weeeellll....

Lilia Ford
Great summer read, featuring two attractive leads, some entertaining secondaries, plenty of suspense and mystery-solving, and Ford's trademark gift for evoking California city-scapes. For once I preferred the banter and action scenes to the sex, but it's always good to expand horizons, get my mind out of the gutter, etc.

Bottom line: lot's of fun.
fleurette
I do not know why I did not start reading this book before. Anyway, I did it now and, needless to say, I do not regret it.

Rook is an ex-thief who went straight. Nevertheless, when he finds a dead body of his former collaborator in his shop, he is suspected of murdering her. The case is dealt with by detective Dante Montoya, who not only once wanted to see Rook behind the bars, but also almost spent a passionate night with him that neither of them can forget. Now, they must not only find out who
Marte - Thunderella
*** 3,5 audio stars ***

Audio edition. Narrator Greg Tremblay.

Overall: 3,5
Performance: 5
Story: 3,5

A good start of a new series. I liked it, but it didn't rock my world. That being said, I also rated Dirty Kiss - Cole McGinnis #1 3 stars when I first listen to it too. That (audio) series is one of my all time favorite (audio) series. I'm interested to know where this series leads.
Narration by my favorite Greg Tremblay was as great as always. I think I enjoyed the story more due to the narration.
Chris
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq, favorites
Really loved this book ! The pace, the plot and the fact that there was only one ongoing drama to solve ! Rook and Dante had a beautiful chemistry and as Rook slowly began to trust Dante he allowed his vulnerability to shine through. I adored Manny and even Rooks grandfather turned out to be a great guy under his bluster. If you enjoy a good crime story, I would recommend this one.
Jenni Lea
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible, whodunit

*sigh*

Greg Tremblay gives the best eargasms.
Ann
This is the start of a beautiful friendship between this series and I. I could tell from the first page that I was diving into a Rhys Ford murder mystery, she has a unique and all-consuming way of telling a story. That being said, it’s no formula though, the setting, the mystery and most importantly, the characters are all Murder and Mayhem.

The strength is definitely in the characters. Rook and Dante have great chemistry and their banter is priceless. They are the very definition of enemies to
Bev
 photo reviewing_audiobooks_icon_zpsfdtqfy0w.jpg

photo awesomesmiley_zpsa98dd938.gif

I loved everything about this one. Greg Tremblay's narration (a new narrator as far as I was concerned) was brilliant, and of course I've since gone on a Greg Tremblay hunt on Audible!! The snark setting was definitely set to stun [or should that be kill??] sometimes (from both Rook and his grandfather Archie AND Dante's cop sidekick Hank Camden), the sex scenes were scorching but oh so tender, the female voices were good too and his softly spoken Dante and Uncle Manny were wonderful. The
Candice
this is the best photo: tumblr_m87fmoH8Ag1rnvlqy.gif

Can Rhys Ford do wrong in my eyes? Probably not. This is definitely another winner! I LOVED Rook and Dante. I loved Archie. I loved their relationship. I loved Manny. I even had respect for Hank. All the other characters were great, too. I really liked how sketchy they were, if that makes sense. Like, Rook had to let them know what was going on before they said anything. I really liked Rook's background. One thing I would've liked to have seen? Rook do a job. Just one. I'm a sucker for
Wynne Katherine
May 16, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf

It was interesting at first, but then it goes downhill.

And it kept going downhill.

On a normal sunny day, I am not a bitch. Actually, I dare say I am actually quite pleasant.

But when I have been in a DNF streak for 2 weeks, that's a whole another story.

I was 9% into this book, I haven't even acquainted myself with the name of the main character yet, and this author keeps on name dropping the MC's aunt, their dead friend, their secretary, their drag queen uncle. Sometimes even switching up between
DaisyGirl
Whaaaat?!?? Rhys ford has a new book coming out?!? What's it about? Wait, I don't care. *pre-orders*

************************
ETA:

Touché Dante! What a great ending line. I liked this book. Rook was difficult for me to connect with but he eventually came around. I loved Dante and Manny. And Hank too.
Caipi
Great romance, an interesting mystery and a brilliant audiobook!

4,5 stars
Santy
I absolutely loved this audiobook !

This was partly because the narrator, Greg Tremblay , was FANTASTIC [He got the every single voice, emotion and performance perfect] and also partly because the story was just great.

Rhys Ford penned an excellent murder-mystery though it got to a time when I sort of suspected the bad guy( it wasn't THAT obvious don't worry) but my suspicions kept shifting because Rhys just kept throwing other, more likely suspects in your face. I loved it.

I enjoyed Dante, Rook
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The Two Gentlemen of Altona (Playing the Fool, #1)
  • Tempest (Playing the Fool, #3)
  • The Merchant of Death (Playing the Fool, #2)
  • Diversion (Diversion, #1)
  • Fish Out of Water (Fish Out of Water, #1)
  • The Ghost Wore Yellow Socks (The Ghost Wore Yellow Socks, #1)
  • The Wolf at the Door (Big Bad Wolf, #1)
  • Badlands (Badlands, #1)
  • P.S. I Spook You
  • Pretty Pretty Boys (Hazard and Somerset, #1)
  • The Doctor's Secret (Copper Point Medical #1)
  • Southernmost Murder
  • The Wolf at Bay (Big Bad Wolf, #2)
  • A Reason To Believe
  • Thrown to the Wolves (Big Bad Wolf, #3)
  • Kill Game (Seven of Spades, #1)
  • Love in Spades (Four Kings Security, #1)
  • Fair Play (All's Fair, #2)
Rhys Ford is an award-winning author with several long-running LGBT+ mystery, thriller, paranormal, and urban fantasy series and was a 2016 LAMBDA finalist with her novel, Murder and Mayhem. She is published by Dreamspinner Press and DSP Publications.

She’s also quite skeptical about bios without a dash of something personal and really, who doesn’t mention their cats, dog and cars in a bio? She

Murder and Mayhem (2 books)
  • Tramps and Thieves (Murder and Mayhem, #2)
“You and Mama, both of you dress loud enough a blind man can feel you coming.” 1 likes
“Armed with a comb and a brush, Dante parted his uncle’s thick hair and began to dab hair dye along the line.” 1 likes