Start by marking “Freaks I've Met” as Want to Read:
Freaks I've Met

Freaks I've Met

Spokane, Washington, is nearly perfect for most people, but Jack Fitzpatrick is not one of them. Hours after graduation and armed with his final paycheck from his nemesis, Jack heads for Southern California. Dreams are a dime a dozen in the City of Angels. Broke, barely scraping by, and hating his life as a temp, L.A. is definitely not what Jack expected. But after reading ...more
Published August 1st 2015 by Sheabeau Publishing (first published May 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Freaks I've Met, please sign up.
Donald Jans Got to keep it real and in character for the early twenty something guy, ya know! :)
Donald Jans I would have to say, about half! But I will say, the things that you think are the craziest, are the things that actually happened, as life often…moreI would have to say, about half! But I will say, the things that you think are the craziest, are the things that actually happened, as life often goes. (less)

Lia
Oct 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
DISCLAIMER: I received this book for free through the GoodReads giveaways.

Despite scenes that have a hint of tragedy, this book made me laugh uncontrollably. You cannot read this book without thinking of The Wolf of Wall Street, but that was crass and over the top while this feels... humane and real (which is quite ironic).

Favourite quotes:
"I was convinced that the proverb about money not buying happiness was written by a rich guy who didn't want you to feel bad because you didn't have any."

"I d
Anita Lock
Nov 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is 1987, and in a matter of a few hours after graduation, Jack Fitzpatrick leaves Spokane, and heads for Los Angeles, hoping to find the proverbial pot of gold when he takes a modeling job. Going weirdly awry, the twenty-one-year old hightails it out of Washington, moving in with one of his college roommates. Things go awry once again, and Jack has no choice but to find another job. Various temp jobs go belly up, and cold calling for a stockbroker leaves little hope for cold, hard cash. When ...more
Mereka Elsworthy
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I won this as part of the good reads giving away. What an amazing book well written and definitely leaves you smiling, also made me chuckle in places. Highly recommended
Barbara
I won this book at goodreads.com...thank you!
This is a dark comedy about recent college graduate Jack who leaves his hometown in Spokane and his attempts at becoming a millionaire in Los Angeles and the 'freaks' he meets along the way. This is a hilarious laugh out loud story with a dark undertone that blends seamlessly and keeps you turning the pages until you reach the surprising end. It's hard to believe that this is the author's debut novel and I'm looking forward to more from Donald Jans. H
Rebecca McNutt
Don't be put-off by its title, Freaks I've Met is actually a very funny and honest novel about a young adult's journey to make it big in life. Carrying similar themes to Tinker and Blue, it's a book that anyone can find at least one relatable thing in that they can connect with themselves.
Beatrice P
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unbelievably non stop funny adventures while job hunting. The time spent with Dexter and Mrs. Manchester was hilarious.
Betty
Jul 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jack has just graduated and is leaving Spokane behind and he sees no reason that he shouldn't become wealthy and famous in short order. But then he has to deal with life in L.A and it doesn't seem so easy! This is a very well written, hilarious tale of Jack's life and well, the freaks he met! And there were a few! With thanks to Kirkus and the author for my copy to read and review.
Roberta Clarke
From the very first page of Don Jans' debut novel, I became Jack Fitzpatrick's biggest cheerleader. Even though I had my doubts that our narrator would succeed in finding fame and fortune in LA after leaving his Spokane, Washington roots, I was rooting for him the whole time! I was charmed by Jack's naivete' and eagerness and absolutely enchanted by his self-deprecating humor in the midst of his many, many bizarre encounters. I literally laughed out loud throughout the entirety of this witty jou ...more
Krys
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! This book was very entertaining and held my attention. If it weren't for work, I would have read the whole book in one sitting. Great story and characters, and very believable scenarios. Made me laugh out loud a lot!
bess
Dec 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was like the sequel to A Catcher in the Rye complete with the irritating overly-judgemental and egotistical protagonist (from what I remember- I haven't read that book for 25 years). It was funny, crude in places, always entertaining. I let the finance speak wash over me as he may as well have been speaking Russian- I thought maybe by the end I might get the gist of what bonds are about, but alas, no.
It was a good read. I was left smiling.
Lace
Aug 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This book was Hilarious! I loved every bit of it. I am an avid fan of humour books, and this one was one of my favorites that i have recently read! Donald Jans is a wonderful author and I really look forward to reading more of his work!
John
Sep 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Spot on details and striking moments left me wondering how much of this funny and very readable debut were true!
James A.
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
How do you make the bond market funny? The author did this, and more, and made me relive my own foibles of my first job. Kirkus called it Buchowski-esque, yes, with a dash of Hunter S. Thompson and David Sedaris for good measure. Great book for anyone who has ever had a job, or is just starting out. My only complaint was it ended too quickly. I purposely stopped 10 pages short for the night so I would have something fun to read the next day. Love how he set up his arch nemesis and how that all p ...more
Lee Greene
Touching, real, sad, poignant, and super hilarious at many points, at the expense of office workers that America has plenty of. Great lean, easy to read writing style. Recommended for sure.
John Wheeles
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A few pages into this tale, I decided it was an irreverent look at growing up. It is, but it's more than that. There is something to be learned in the sometimes raunchy, politically incorrect, sophomoric blending of words. There is a moral to the story.

If you are easily offended, move on to another title. But, if you're an adventurous type, grab a copy and enjoy something a little different. Hang in there, it's worth it!

By the way, don't let the amount of time I took on this book deter you. I go
Lynn Alpert
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reminded me of the plot of Devil Wears Prada, although via a sleazy brokerage firm . Realistic, although fiction, and struck a chord for me as I started out working in a similar era. Loved the protagonist and his inability to keep his mouth shut. "As far as I could tell, New York was filled with a bunch of Rosanne Rosanneadannas" justifying his reason not to go to New York instead of California to strike it rich.
Janicedixon
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Haven't read a book this funny since one of Sedaris' old ones. Even though it is fiction, there is no way the author could make up this kind of detail unless he lived it, and I loved his unlikely "nemesis" that drove him crazy to succeed. If this weren't from a small publisher I suspect it would be on the NY times bestseller list. Hoping for more from the author, his other works seem to be screenplays which I don't really understand how to read.
Janet Chatham
I saw this book show up in my library as newly acquired titles, and I grabbed it. And I am oh so glad I did. As a 60 year old divorced woman who has seen a bit of life, I found myself screeching at some of Jack's descriptions, and the way he views the world. Very fast read with short chapters, made it really easy for me to stay focused and zip through it. Highly recommended for college kids just starting out, but even more recommended for older people who have been through the working world, and ...more
Greg W.
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorites books of last year. Very funny, but also sad at parts, except Jack doesn't want you to feel bad for him, just laugh with him, it left me hopeful and inspired all at the same time. My friend who works at the library recommended it. Favorite quotes, "that proverb about money buying happiness was written by a rich guy who didn't want you to feel bad because you didn't have any" and "i'm not sure who faked their orgasm first, but thankfully it was over rather quickly." Many parts ...more
Blake Wilson
Super fun, couldn't put it down. Original disillusioned narrator kept me rooting for him the whole time! The sticker bush incident killed me. I hope an audio book comes out!
Robert Walker
Nov 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Won this in a goodreads giveaway..best book i've ever won! hands down! I feel lucky to be among the first reviewers to read this hilarious coming of age classic story of a west coast kid from a smallish town, and seeing the world through his original eyes. I gave my copy to my college nephew.. and he is actually reading it! Read it for sure. If you like the memoir style writing, and humor like David Sedaris, this is the one, IMHO.
Carterwilson
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Kirkus calls it Buchowski-esque, yes, but with a giant helping of Hunter S. Thompson and David Sedaris too. Laughed out loud in many spots, and learned some things about finance I had heard about, but now understand. Smart and funny, and made me think all the crappy first jobs I had. Hopefully this author isn't a one trick pony, cause I like his fast and easy to read writing style.
Jarroldoleary
absolutely one of my favorite books of the year. If you like Bukowski and Sedaris and that type of tell it like it is and laugh your head off, then this is your book. Hoping the next one is on the way!
joyce g
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
What a quirky, fun read! It made me laugh.
PatrickR
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From the first page I was hooked, and rooting for this kid, Jack. Wishing I could buy him a beer and hire him! As has been noted, super funny, fast moving, and a style of writing that proves that superfluous description has no place in modern writing. I digress. Great 80s references, as I was definitely already in the working world by then, in a society void of cell phones and personal computers, where you actually met people in bars, or on the street, or at work. A must read if you need a laugh ...more
Steve Grossman
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious first person account of a sorta-angry, but very funny college grad kid who heads from Spokane to California to prove to everyone his weight in gold. As the protagonist's mother said.. "honey everyone thinks those things, they just don't say them" pretty much sums up the tongue of Jack. Sly slam on American stereotypes with interracial dating, and the "freaks" or his office meets that are keeping him from his fortune. Def recommend.
Rebecca Carlson
Got referred by a friend on this, and loved it. Awesome twenty-something realistic protagonist who tells it like it is, as painful as that might be. Reminded me of when I was that age, and some of the things I saw going into the "Big city" from my small town. Recommended for college students, or anybody who likes observational/memoirish comedy. Plenty of sex/drugs and rock and roll.
Shelley
Aug 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Funny like Sedaris, and Handler, but painfully real like Buchowski and Hunter S. Thompson. I even learned something about finance. The twenty something protagonist and real and absolutely hilarious. Definitely recommend this book.
Ian Camden
Super funny, easy to read, smart and fast prose. With a great ending message that somehow left me smiling and motivated. Perfect book for the new entitled generation, like myself, who might find themselves college educated and working at Starbucks.
Jennifer Leland
Dec 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super snarky fun, and a great story with an ending I didn't expect. I was a little skeptical at first, because this is a debut novel, and indy, but it delivered, and makes me want to explore more indy books. The office photo shoot was hilarious.. because the same thing happened in my office!
  • Thin Air
  • The Florentine Deception
  • On the Back of the Beast
  • Britain by the Book: A Curious Tour of Our Literary Landscape
  • Elyora
  • Uncle and Ants (Silicon Valley Mystery #1)
  • Children and Other Wild Animals: Notes on badgers, otters, sons, hawks, daughters, dogs, bears, air, bobcats, fishers, mascots, Charles Darwin, newts, sturgeon, roasting squirrels, parrots, elk, foxes, tigers and various other zoological matters
  • The beautiful buttons : a memoir
  • The Deep Mystery: The Day the Pole Moved
  • Voices in the Mirror
  • The Miracle Adjuster
  • Zootopia
  • Rules for Riders
  • Love Struck
Chartered Financial Analyst and Gonzaga University alumnus, survived more than twenty years in the institutional bond market and encounters with all kinds of freaks. The author of several screenplays, he is currently working on his second novel. He lives in Portland, Oregon with his two children.
“I was convinced that the proverb about money not buying happiness was written by a rich guy who didn't want you to feel bad because you didn't have any.” 5 likes
“Sorry, Jack. I really needed to hit rock bottom before I could dust myself off.” 5 likes