Jump to ratings and reviews

Laissez Faire #1

Opportunity Knocks

Small-town security guard, Gill Martin, has lived in Mystique Pointe his entire life. His dating prospects are non-existent and he doesn't particularly like his job, but at least it's better than unemployment. Besides, he hasn't got any better ideas.

Big-city artist, Tommy Hearne, knows exactly what he wants out of life: a successful art career and a successful relationship. He also knows that living in Liberty City is his best chance for pursuing both. Unfortunately, for him, neither of these pursuits seem to be panning out quite to his liking.

When Tommy and his misfit band of friends roll into town for the Laissez Faire, Mystique Pointe's annual music & art festival, worlds definitely collide. A fiery tryst sparks more than just a lust connection, but what happens when the weekend is over?

149 pages, Kindle Edition

First published August 5, 2015

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

L.D. Blakeley

15 books133 followers
A pragmatist with a romantic soul & a dirty mind, L.D. is a fan of horror movies, hot sex, and Happily Ever Afters. Easily distracted by shiny things, she's a slightly neurotic, highly ambitious dreamer who enjoys dabbling in photography & pretending she can carry a tune.

In another life, L.D. was a newspaper reporter, an entertainment & music writer, travel writer, website content editor, and a marketing shill. Now she prefers to spend her time writing hot, steamy fiction with a healthy dose of romance.
can carry a tune.

Although she dreams of living some place isolated with an endless supply of wine and an infinite number of titles on her eReader, she currently lives in downtown Toronto with her husband and their rock star cat.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
2 (8%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 12 of 12 reviews
Profile Image for Jilrene.
906 reviews81 followers
November 1, 2015
ETA: link to my review Gay.Guy.Reading and Friends

I'm writing a review for Gay.Guy.Reading and Friends. I'll add a link when it's available.

2.something sweet treats

I received a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

original thoughts:
It may take a few days to get this review done, but... overall it was ok. The ending ticked all my fluff needs. I'm going to round up for now. By the time my review is finished, that could change.
Profile Image for CoffeeTimeRomance andMore.
2,045 reviews169 followers
September 25, 2015
Gill is a gorgeous gentle giant in comparison to the light and lively personality of Tommy, which makes their story totally delectable. Everyone knows the quiet ones can really surprise you, and Tommy is absolutely delighted when Gill opens up to him. I adore the tentative fumbles that lead to an all-out explosion of passion between these two young men. They are sweet, honest, and kind to each other. Which make them even hotter!
Lototy
Reviewer for Coffee Time Romance & More

Official Review @ Coffee Time Romance & More
Profile Image for Candice.
932 reviews
September 22, 2015

I found this story good, nothing really stood out for me, but a pleasant read. If there is another in this series I would most likely read to see where the author goes.
124 reviews5 followers
October 3, 2015
I love to read M/M books more than the average person because the communication seems to be better in this genre.

I enjoyed Gill’s character because he fit his description, loving, hard-working, and a little naive. Tommy is your cute city boy with a flair for the dramatic and amazing art talent.

When they meet their attraction is instant and while Tommy is ready to jump him in the middle of the faire he knows that Gill is from a small town that may frown on that.

Gill knows he’s gay but is only out to his BFF Kat and fear rejection from his dad; I love Gill for so many reasons. There is no malice in this book, no unforgivable drama or even extreme conflict with the main characters. This is a genuine love story that just needs to have logistics “figured out”.

I give this book 3 diamonds and hope that Michael gets his HEA.
Profile Image for Nicola Cameron.
Author 25 books136 followers
August 15, 2015
This is a dynamite debut novel from L.D. Blakeley. When big city artist Tommy and his friends arrive at Mystic Pointe for a weekend arts fair, Tommy is stunned by the gorgeous security guard Gill. Gill isn't quite out of the closet due to circumstances, but from the moment he sees Tommy he knows this gorgeous hipster artist is something special. But will they be able to handle the distance, both physical and emotional, between Mystic Pointe and Liberty City?

This is a hot, sweet story, heartwarming as well as pyroclastically sexy. Best of all, it's the first book in a series. I truly enjoyed OPPORTUNITY KNOCKS and will be looking forward to more adventures from Tommy and Gill's crowd.
Profile Image for Brandilyn.
1,126 reviews44 followers
January 10, 2016
Reviewed for Prism Book Alliance

3.75stars

I read opportunity knocks directly after reading only the second book I have given 1* here on Prism Book Alliance®. That other book came from the same publisher, so, needless to say, my bar was set pretty low for this one. Luckily, I was pleasantly surprised by Opportunity Knocks by LD Blakeley. I believe this is my introduction to this author.

For Complete review see Prism Book Alliance: http://www.prismbookalliance.com/?pos...

Profile Image for Chris, the Dalek King.
1,163 reviews146 followers
May 4, 2016
It may be one hell of a long drive from Liberty City to Mystique Point, but the money Tommy Hearne and his friends make at the Laissez Faire music and arts festival is well worth the trip. Finding out that the security guard is hot, built, and (knock on wood) gay, only makes the trip seem like nothing. But as Tommy gets to know Gill Martin he begins to suspect that a weekend away from home, and in Gill’s bed (if he ever gets there) is not exactly going to be enough. Too bad they over five hours, and who knows how many miles away.

As with most new-to-me authors, I don’t go in expecting very much, but I have to say that I really enjoyed this. It was well written, and the sex scenes were pretty damn hot. Plus, I’m a sucker for a guy who can cook…even if reading about it always makes me hungry.

I had so much muffin envy when reading this.

I liked how the time-lines-–with the short weekend to get to know each other, initially–-worked for the story. A lot of the times I can’t quite believe that two people can fall in love in a matter of hours (what can I say, I am a skeptic at heart), but I like how the relationship progressed in this story. It really was more lust and attraction in the beginning, and the love came later. I’m a big believer in taking your time when getting to know people.

All the characters in the book were well written. I do admit that the spunky-girl-best-friend is something I usually find overdone and cliche, but I think Blakely avoids a lot of the things I find annoying about it. And that whole thing with Michael works itself out in a way that I find believable. No flipped switches on the personalities around here.

Overall this was just a really good story that I enjoyed. And I now have a new author to add to the list of people to follow. Which is always a good thing in my experience. You can never have too many books, or makers of books, around you.

This book was provided free in exchange for a fair and honest review for Love Bytes. Go there to check out other reviews, author interviews, and all those awesome giveaways. Click below.
 photo 11014879_970988406253334_3984928259579074216_n_zpsm8c6semk.jpg
Profile Image for Tina.
2,567 reviews15 followers
September 10, 2015
Laissez Faire series by L.D. Blakely starts off with Opportunity Knocks. I loved the sweet feel to this light hearted romance. I smiled a ton while reading this book. Tommy Hearne is an artist. He is a free spirit with a romantic soul. He is openly gay but has not found his one yet. He is going to Laissez Faire like he has for the past five years to sell his goods. It is an artist and music festival. Always is fun. This year though something special will happen.
Gill his father used to work at he Mystic Pointe police department. His mother died a few years back and he has been helping his father out since. He is gay but has not had the guts yet to tell his dad. He doesn’t want to break his heart. But when he meets Tommy at the faire, he is sure of one thing. Tommy is the one for him. Gill is a big man with muscles and tattoos but he has a very innocent heart. Good thing Tommy is the one romantic enough to keep it safe.
Tommy can be fearless where Gill was the shier one. I liked this combination made for many funny situations. There is lots of hot man love too. I would love to see more of this series. I would love to see Michael Tommy’s roommate find a love next. I think he could use one. When you want a hot steamy but light hearted read that will make you believe in true love, this is the book to pick up.

Five Shooting Stars
Profile Image for Ro.
3,003 reviews16 followers
October 3, 2015
Tommy and his friends, artists and close knit, head to Mystique Pointe to share a booth at the annual Laissez Faire, a popular art and music festival. This is a yearly pilgrimage for Tommy but this year he’s lucky enough to share the costs and have help. When they get to Mystic Pointe, he is immediately taken with “Mr Big & Buff”, working security at the event. Of course, this is Gil, who is quiet, sweet and so awesome.
Gil’s father worked for the Mystic Pointe police department and Gil stays there to help his dad out. Again, Gil is lovely. What Gil isn’t is out of the closet. He puts up with crap from the town bigot, Tucker, and is kind to people but not so much to himself.
Tommy and Gil both worked for me. Tommy is exuberant, flirty and sassy; Gil is quiet, shy and slower to respond. They worked, even with a big distance issue. What I didn’t like as much was the Michael aspect. I hope he gets a story next because he needs some redemption in my eyes.
There are a few editing errors that I noticed but didn’t pull me out of the story. I did thoroughly enjoy the ending, which made me happy for both of them.
Displaying 1 - 12 of 12 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.