Start by marking “The Breeding Tree” as Want to Read:

(Destiny by Design #1)

Is the opportunity to create the next generation of life a dream come true or a deadly nightmare?

When seventeen year old Katherine Dennard is selected to become a "Creation Specialist" in Sector 4, the opportunity sounds like a dream come true. But Kate soon discovers the darker side of her profession - the disposal of fetal organs and destruction of human life. It makes
Published September 21st 2015 by Brimstone Fiction

To ask other readers questions about The Breeding Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Breeding Tree

(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to author J. Andersen.)

“For weeks, it seems, as I walk home each night, someone has been following me.”

This was an interesting dystopian story, with a bit of excitement at the end.

Kate seemed like quite a straight-laced studious girl, and had a clear idea of what she wanted to do with her future, unfortunately though, she hadn’t considered that her chosen career included killing babies, and understandabl
Fire
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Breeding Tree is The Giver meets Matrix. This dystopian novel takes place in our world after the collapse of the world we know. Society works to eliminate genetic defects that cause diseases and disabilities through genetics. At birth females eggs are surgically removed and stored to ensure future generation. Being pregnant is a thing of the past as each child is conceived and grown in a lab. As they babies develop they are tested, any signs of deformity or signs of of diseases to come requi ...more
Danielle Raymond
Sep 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Breeding Tree starts out a little slow, and at first seems like many dystopian novels. But as the book goes on it picks up speed, intensity, and your interest. The author's voice becomes stronger the further in you get, and the story really becomes unique. While you can certainly see the influence of other works on this novel, it is creative and a story worth reading in its own right.
Charlie
4/5 Stars

Where do I even start with a story like this? I loved it because I got it. I understood it more ways than one and for me personally I believe this hit home with me. And the other part of me was so horrified as to what was actually happening in the story I wanted to close the book and end it. But I couldn't because this is something that happens every day in this world. And that's the intentional ending of an unborn child.

So Katie is a young woman who in the future is in a world in whic
C.N.
Aug 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
A fine young adult dystopian novel. It speaks truth in our current culture of consuming all things for our own interests. Changing the language of a culture is power. What if you found this language was a lie? J. Andersen creates a believable not-to-distant future dystopia where knowledge and language is power. When the layers are peeled back, there is still life breathing within. This will be a great autumn read.
Zac
Mar 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Eh. Didn't care for the plot, the characters, or the pace (which crawled, really). The writing was somewhat decent. Just...eh. (2.5 I guess?)
Crystal Collier
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
I've been looking forward to reading this book for a while. The subject matter was intriguing and who doesn't love a dystopian world? The characters were solid, the world well built, and the conflict... Oh the conflict...!

Here's where I admit I had a hard time with this one--which is the intention. Being a mother and a huge antagonist of abortion laws (I'm sorry, a baby is a baby no matter the stage), this one really hit home. It makes a good case and I applaud the author for it.

This was a great
Brandi
Nov 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very similar to The Giver by Lois Lowry. A teenager in a dystopian society begins to see the flaws in the seemingly perfect world that the leaders have tried to create. Disease, illness, congenital birth defects, and physical diversity are being eliminated in order to promote "success and health" -- but at what cost?
Karen
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There's got to be a second book!

I loved this book! I could not put it down once I started reading! Please tell us there will be a second book! I have so many questions I want answers to! I need to know what else happens! Great read!
Deb
I received a complimentary copy of this novel from the author and publisher Brimstone Fiction in exchange for an honest review. My full review is at http://thebookstop.wordpress.com.This was an interesting, well-written YA dystopian novel. It builds on concepts you’ve already seen frequently in dystopian novels, but with a nice amount of detail and world-building (although I would have liked more of the back history). I had some small issues with the writing sometimes, but then I’m also not the ...more
Cathy Savage
This is the dystopian story of a young woman (Katie) studying to become a creation engineer. This career is all about selective breeding for gene purity in a lab setting. It is a more scientific version of Orwell's 1984 where this government also controls everything - even what you eat! The story dragged at the beginning but did get a little more exciting towards the end. In spite of Micah's directive to trust no one, Katie decided to go to her friend Taryn for help. After having known each othe ...more
Kandi Wyatt
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unique dystopia

Loved this adventure. Enough twists and turns to keep the plot moving, and loveable characters to connect to. The unique twist to the dystopia world touches on real-life issues.
Nicole
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was so good! I just love the concept and how it’s playing out so far. Can’t wait to start the next one!
Shannon L. Gonzalez
Dec 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Book Review: With genetic manipulation scientists eradicate birth defects and forever alter society. This Y/A dystopian breathes the consequences and much more.

By J. Andersen

It is easy to cross the line of ethics when intentions for the greater good can justify crimes against humanity. In this Y/A dystopian novel 17-year old Katherine Dennard has to decide between the life she has been told was the only way and a rebellion that opens her eyes to see beyond the walls that confine
Ailyn
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In near future, humans are made in test tubes, especially when you are in Sector 4, where scientists have perfected the human genome and creating people who are ‘better’. They can heal better from injury and illness, cancer is eradicated.

Doesn’t that sound wonderful? That is what Katherine Dennard thought, well, not exactly. In Sector 4, old Natural Born People are wheeled out for display as a reminder to the young ones how crappy life used to be before the Institute.

The book’s pace was steady
Tony Lavely
Dec 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
An intriguing read, once it gets started.

Disclaimer: I received this book in exchange for an honest review, which you are now reading. I was a little conflicted, since it’s dystopian and that genre isn’t my favorite. On the other hand, Ms Andersen has crafted a tale with a strong female protagonist, and a story problem that sucked me into a whirlwind of student life in a laboratory of creation… creation of human life.

The character’s reactions played well against the background; having lived with
Alexa
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Actual Rating: 3 1/2 stars out of 5.
Honestly, I wasn’t sure what to think about these characters at first. Micah, for instance, seemed all right on the surface, but I’d read enough books and I’d watched enough movies to be wary of him for a while, lol. Even though that kept me from clicking with Micah and loving him, I’d definitely count him as a good character: he was smart, caring, sweet, had a life outside of and a purpose apart from Kate, GREAT WITH BABIES—. Oh wow, going over this list, I t
Sally Ferguson
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In this riveting tale of a utopian society, the characters are forced to choose between their conscience and safety. The Breeding Tree tackles important questions about right to life, and who determines whether or not a person is useful to society. Do birth defects, accidents or age dictate a person’s worth? Or, does the value of human life come from something intrinsically deeper?
J. Andersen is a budding author who understands the pace and rhythm needed to move a story. From the establishment o
Lauricia Matuska
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Breeding Tree is a dystopian story that fans of Matched and Divergent will love.

In this novel, Katherine Dennard is a teenager living in a world engineered to secure success and health for all. While pursuing the career of her choice, she comes to find out exactly what that really means and what it's like to be touched by the results of choices made by others. A coming-of-age story with a heavy romance thread, The Breeding Tree explores deep questions about genetic engineering and the qualit
Elaine Cooper
Oct 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Although Speculative Fiction is not my usual genre, I was intrigued by the plot of “The Breeding Tree” by J. Andersen. It involves a futuristic lab where babies are created artificially and, at random, allowed to live or die depending on whether or not they are deemed “perfect.”

Well I was completely caught up in this gripping tale that sent ripples of concern through me as I read. Although the setting is in the future, the plot seems to align itself with today’s news. And it should frighten us a
Cindy Huff
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is Orwell’s 1984 for the next generation. The Breeding Tree explores the dark side of striving for a genetically perfect race free of disease. This well-crafted YA novel takes the reader to a world where genetic engineering has replaced reproduction and the government encourages absolute obedience as it strives for the goal of a perfect race.
This book reminded me of things I’d read regarding Nazi Germany, the Roman Empire and other times in history where a master race was desired. The mind
Jerry Mcgarrity
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Eerily Prescient
I don’t normally read YA or dystopian, but you don’t need to be a fan of those genres to enjoy this novel. Author J. Andersen weaves a tale right out of tomorrow’s headlines: a society which limits all births to those from test tube babies, and decides which ones are worth bringing to term.
The Breeding Tree tells the story of Katherine Dennard, a young woman training to be a creation specialist, a job involving the artificial creation of human life. She finds it exciting to be do
H.A.
Dec 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This dystopian fiction was intriguing and suspenseful! I found myself thinking about the characters throughout the day and looking forward to the time when I could return to my reading. The main characters, especially Kate, were realistic and multi-dimensional; I believed in them and their fight. For me, it brought up the unnerving possibility of a future world which degrades not only the beautiful variety among human beings, but the value of life itself. I still find myself asking the question, ...more
R.J.
Jul 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Matched meets The Giver meets Ember.
There were not a lot of original ideas in this plot. It was pretty typical dystopian with a focus on babies and "breeding" the next perfect race of human.
However, I appreciated the strong pro-life emphasis, even if it came with some really graphic descriptions of abortions. I think that message is so important nowadays with the massive amounts of precious babies being killed.
Taryn and her flagrant sexuality was disgusting and worthless to the plot, in my opini
Elizabeth Seckman
Sep 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Humans have evolved to the point of perfection. With constant monitoring and rules for every citizen, the new world is a utopia approaching perfection. Even procreation has been perfected- almost completely removing human error from the process. But once young Katherine Dennard begins her training as a Procreation Specialist, she begins to see the flaws not only in the new breeding process, but in her world. She begins to wonder: Just because they can, doesn't mean they should.

Michelle McPherson
The Breeding Tree

The story itself is great, it pulls you along through the life of the heroine. The Society built in this world is easy to imagine, and makes you hope it never happens.
My only complaint is the ending. I feel like so many questions are left unanswered, so I hope for a second book. A book that answers questions about the other two main characters in the story at the end.
John Turney
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great book for your YA reader. The story deal with the importance or lack thereof on the issue of life. Society has evolved to the point where natural births no longer take place. Rather babies are formed in a petri dish type of environment. Studies are done on the growing child and only desirables are allowed to live. A student studying in the medical field to care for these developing babies has a crisis of belief related to her field of work. Her choice will impact the rest of her life.
Becky
Nov 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
While this book started out a little slow, it quickly picked up the pace. The book turned out to be a fast paced page turner that I loved! It is a great book that young adults or older ones would enjoy. I really hope there is a sequel planned, as the ending really left me wondering what happens next.
Elise Vazquez
Aug 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great story line with an emphasis on the value of life. I saw parallels between the story and our society as a whole with the desire to manipulate life before birth and a loss of the sanctity of life. Loved the characters and what the main characters stood for. I just wish there was a second book as it kind of just ended abruptly with a few loose ends. But I did enjoy it a lot.
Chapter
Sep 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, ebook
The Breeding Tree? Just so you know there is no special tree or breeding in this novel. Babies are created in petri dishes and grow in artificial wombs. There is sex but it does not result in pregnancies. Alikeness and the lack of disease are the ultimate goal of this society.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Next Set (Thursday Next, #1-4)
  • Aquifer
  • Street God: The Explosive True Story of a Former Drug Boss on the Run from the Hood--and the Courageous Mission That Drove Him Back
  • Edge of Truth
  • Breeder (Arrow's Flight, #1)
  • An English Boy in New York (Boys Don't Knit, #2)
  • Hero (The Hero Rebellion #1)
  • Beyond Our Stars
  • Silver
  • Nessa (Breeders, #1.1)
  • Riot
  • Joshua
  • The Treemakers (The Treemakers, #1)
  • Harvester (Harvester of Light, #1)
  • The Great Collapse (Survivors of the Pulse, #1)
  • The Conjurer's Riddle (The Inventor's Secret, #2)
  • Swords & Stilettos (Enlighten Series, #1)
  • Pulse (Pulse Effex #1)
J. Andersen likes to write books, but doing so means slaying the dragons of procrastination while trudging through piles of laundry to make it to the computer. This small town, stay at home mom and former English teacher may be a world builder by day and a superhero by night, but that doesn't mean she can ignore making dinner or driving the kids to music lessons. She also works as the Director of ...more

Destiny by Design (4 books)
  • Reckless Destiny (Destiny by Design, #0)
  • The Gene Rift (Destiny by Design, #2)
  • Legacy's Impact (Destiny by Design, #3)