Start by marking “Fear University (Fear University, #1)” as Want to Read:
Fear University (Fear University, #1)

Fear University

(Fear University #1)

I’ve always known I was a monster, and I don’t mean some teenage vampire shit either.

Published November 9th 2015 by Meg Collett

To ask other readers questions about Fear University, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fear University

DW
Aug 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fear-university
I haven't read anything like this since reading the House of Night Series. I forgot how much fun killing monsters can be!!

On to book two!!
Bark (2 Dumb 2 Read Blurbs)
I’m not fond of the title of this one. It gives the book a generic feeling of YA or NA and does the book a disservice because it’s a gritty, violent and action-packed story that deserves a title such as Aswang: Demon Dogs! That’s catchier, don’t you think? Or maybe Devil Dogs Want to Eat Your Tasty Bits. Yeah, I like that one but maybe that’s why they don’t ask me. Anyway, I grabbed this because the blurb caught my attention and I’m glad I did because it was pretty darn good.

Ollie has never been
Jessica-❥Chatterbooks Book Blog❥
This is my first book by this author so I didn't really know what to expect. I have never read a book about aswangs. That alone made this book interesting to me from the beginning. I love paranormal fantasy, and I thought I had read about most paranormal beings. I was excited to come across one I knew nothing about. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed reading this. Ollie is a great main character. She never annoyed me, and I enjoyed reading from her point of view. This sto
Claire - The Coffeeholic Bookworm
For once in my life. I have finally read the most realistic, if not the most comprehensive, novel about aswangs, written by a non-Filipino. And I am impressed with Meg Collett's writing prowess because she was able to inject fear through this petrifying and blood-curling mythical creature.

Back when I was a kid, hundreds upon hundreds of scary stories about aswangs had been told and these always - and I mean always - really frightened the hell out of me. Poltergeist? Ghosts? Vampires? Werewolves?
1-Click Addict Support Group
Sep 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book, let me tell you. I was not expecting any of what Fear University brought to the table. It was like a multi-cultural buffet.

There was an abundance of adventure, suspense, humor and sadness. There was friendship and family, along with a multitude of wary characters that could friend or foe.

The suspense had me on the edge of my seat! I'll be impatiently waiting for the next book in the Fear University series to get some much needed answers. If you read this book (which you should!), yo
Ezinwanyi
If you liked Ann Aguirre’s Enclave (Razorland, #1) by Ann Aguirre, the. You will like this one.
It has an unknown monster with leaders of the human resistance proving to be less than honest about the beast. Also, the leaders seem to have their own agenda in the battle against the beast. I liked it a lot and will continue the series
Hollie
Well this 3 book trilogy turned out to be so incredibly unique. I loved that the heroine was a bad ass but it somehow never seemed over the top. The writing style was great. The Filipino legend made for a really creative storyline. I don’t feel that the series title gave it any justice. Fear university just sounds lame, and that was not the case with any of these books. I will definitely check out more of this writers work in the future.
David Francis
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book. Was yanked right in and kept there through the lay book. Creatures I hadn't heard of before. If you like action, monsters, mixed with a little romance and mystery read these books.
Miranda
Quick thoughts: uh best book this year?! I think yes. This was action packed, thick with amazing plotting, great characters, and just awe. I have a book hang over...
My complete reaction after finishing:
description

Teaser
description
Kushnuma
Fear University is book 1 in the series.

I thought this book was great, it was different. It did remind me of the Vampire Academy series so I enjoyed it a lot as I absolutely loved that series! I wished there was more at the end of the book, but still, it was a great book.
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
Oh it's been a while since I have read a book in a day... Happy days!
Bridgit Morgan
Oct 28, 2015
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty decent read. I liked the uniqueness of the world. I liked Ollie as a female lead. I found her character refreshing. She was completely confident in her abilities without becoming overly cocky. Most likely this was due to all the years she spent relying on no one but herself. She did have a few self-deprecating moments that were kind of bothersome but she lacked the helpless dramatic whininess that so many UF leads are plagued with and so to me it never became overwhelming.

The male lead, L
Alexandra
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first Meg Collett book and I really liked it.
It's a unique take on paranormal books with creatures we haven't read about so far. I applaud her originality.

I adored the main heroine, Ollie. She's everything I love in my leading ladies; she's strong and independent, she's feisty and doesn't back down from a challenge. She's self sufficient and doesn't take BS from our hero.

In a way Fear University reminded me of the Vampire Academy but there are no other similarities between them ot
Maude
Dec 03, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jenny Whetzel
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I have not read any books that have these creatures before so it was nice to read something out of my normal (vampires werewolves) readings. I was impressed and loved it! This is the first time reading anything by this author and it will not be the last. I am impressed! She has a great writing style and her characters have depth. This book was difficult to put down and I didn't have to think twice about getting the next in the series.
Tracie Payne
Aug 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars!! Loved this. Ollie is a badass. This had suspense and action and I really don't know where it's all going. Luke and Ollie are explosive and Hatter is the perfect comic relief. Can't wait for book 2.
Elena ( The Queen Reads )
Read this with my good friend Nixon. I'm only giving this 4 stars because I don't rate 5 for a 1st book in a series but it definitely is a very good 1st book. full review on le blog.
Shazy
Dec 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bambikai
Emily (Falling for YA)
I almost didn't pick this book up because of the title. It sounded cheesy and I worried the entire novel would have that tone. To my surprise and delight, this book was anything but cheesy! It was gritty, downright scary at times, and overall dark. It reminded me a bit of the TV shows Supernatural (with the whole hunting monsters thing) and Jessica Jones.

Ollie definitely had that Jessica Jones, self-sufficient, I'm a badass vibe. Ollie can't feel pain which makes her instantly invaluable in the
Taylor Metcalfe
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Paranormal romance lovers
Recommended to Taylor by: Nalana the owner of Book Scents
I have to be honest, I picked this book up to possibly impress someone. Granted I was intrigued some by he synopsis but I did not expect a lot from this book.

That being said this book blew my mind! I may have vaguely heard of Aswangs before and that alone brings a uniqueness to the story. Then to have the main character Ollie with the ability (or disease depending on how you look at it) to feel no physical pain what so ever is just exceptional. I've heard of this before but never seen it in a s
Karen  ⚜Mess⚜
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Big huge hit with me! I couldn't put it down.

Everything right with this book. A distinct difference with each character. A unique story. Plenty of action.

I think I'm in love with Meg Collett. She has written a character that would act exactly the way I would if put in that scenario.

Brittain *Needs a Nap and a Drink*
DNF at 45%

I tried. I really did but there are so many problems with this book that I just can't stand to read it anymore.

1) The girl is a special little snowflake
I get that she has a medical thing going for her that is the main point of the book but she doesn't seem to have any normal human flaws. She isn't particularly likable and she is overly confrontational. She's a bitch and looks like she wants to start a fight all of the time. That doesn't make for a particularly good character nor one th
Elizabeth
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fear University by Meg Collett

My mother abandoned me when I was ten years old because I have a freakish mutant disease that makes me incapable of feeling pain. I bounced from one foster family to another because too many people like to test my medical condition in a game of “Try To Make Ollie Scream.” At sixteen, I killed a man for taking that game too far.

Two years later, I’m still on the run in Kodiak, Alaska. Here, I’m the most dangerous
Alyssia Cooke
I found Fear University disappointing for several reasons; the premise is really quite interesting but the execution was sloppy in the extreme. Ollie is different to the regular teenager; for a start she killed a man, for a second she can’t feel pain. Bounced from foster home to foster home where people liked to play the game ‘Try to make Ollie scream’, her final foster father took the game too far. So, two years later she’s on the run and then comes face to face with an aswang; a fearsome creat ...more
Marsha
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Fear University" is one of the most unique reads I've had the pleasure of reading in a long time. Meg Collet has a wonderful writing style that slowly unveils the secrets of the characters in such a way that keeps the reader on the edge of your seat all while preparing you for the next suspenseful event.

If you are anything like me, you have never heard of the Philippine legend of the Aswang. It is a man husk by day and a ferocious dog by night that feeds on the fear and bodies of its victims. S
Ashley
Aug 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up on a whim because

It was free
The cover looked awesome
The name sounded promising
My initial skepticism of starting yet another series (because I am a serial abandoner when it comes to long, unfinished series) was swept under the rug as I came to really, and I mean really enjoy this book. I bought it on a Thursday and proceeded to read it all through lunch at work Thursday and Friday and read well into the night Saturday until my eyes burned. I would have read it every chance I got
Book Junky Girls
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Forget werewolves and vampires in this world it's all about the 'swangs. Wondering what they are? So is Ollie because it appears she just killed one! And then there's the guys who won't tell her anything, but make decisions for her like she'll just go along with them. Wrong on so many levels, but sometimes you can't fight physically. Soon after Ollie finds out the truth but begins to realize there are many different versions of it. Who can she trust and can she handle finding out the ultimate tr ...more
Cupcakes and vodka Book Blog
Title: Fear University
Author: Meg Collett
Reviewer: Rea Loftis

I loved Fear University!

From the first chapter, Meg had me hooked in her world of Aswangs and hunters!

It's a mixture of Underworld, Twilight and Hunger Games! It always baffles me how writers can come up with new animals/monsters and create a whole world around them! Such creativity and brilliance at play in the writer's mind!

I loved Ollie from the start! She's a badass female lead, and you couldn't ask for anything more! Ollie has bee
grammar and spelling 2 4 Mar 24, 2018 07:22PM
  • Bless Your Heart (Fairy Tales of a Trailer Park Queen, #1)
  • Rex Cresting (Elei's Chronicles, #2)
  • A Haunting in Crown Point (Spookshow 6)
  • Soul Marked (After the Fire, #1)
  • Awakening (Ragesong, #1)
  • Rat Queens #5
  • Dun Lady's Jess (Changespell Saga , #1)
  • The Caledonian Inheritance (The Athena Effect #3)
  • Cloud Invasion (R-D, #2)
  • Forgive Me My Salt
  • Hound's Bite (Ivy Granger, #5)
  • Possessed (Tempted, #3)
  • All The Ways You Saved Me (Love Unplugged, #1)
  • Samantha Watkins (Chronicles of an Extraordinary Ordinary Life, #1)
  • Altered (Altered, #1)
  • Smoke Rising (Supernatural Bounty Hunter, #1)
  • The Tower's Alchemist (The Gray Tower Trilogy, #1)
Meg Collett is from the hills of Tennessee where the cell phone service is a blessing and functioning internet is a myth of epic proportions. She and her husband live in a tiny house with three dogs and not enough couches. She’s the author of the bestselling Fear University series, the End of Days trilogy, and the Canaan Island novels. Find out more at her website www.megcollett.com.

Fear University (5 books)
  • The Killing Season (Fear University, #2)
  • Monster Mine (Fear University, #3)
  • Paper Tigers (Fear University, #4)
  • Dead Man's Stitch (Fear University Book 5)
“There is something to be said for the night. The darkness holds a sense of promise, as if anything could happen. Maybe something good, like a handsome stranger or something with snarling teeth that whispers pretty things as it eats you. Thus, the night is a test. A test of fear and the sweet promise of pain.” 3 likes
“If we win by losing ourselves, by losing what we were fighting for, then we never really win.” 3 likes