Start by marking “Red August” as Want to Read:
Red August

Red August

What if you found out that you were descended from a long line of clandestine fighters, and that your family was still at war? Or that the love of your life was something other than human?

August Archer thinks she's a normal teenage girl—even though she has been having disturbing and erotic dreams about werewolves lately. Still grieving over the loss of her bookish,
ebook
Published August 19th 2015 by Smashwords Edition

To ask other readers questions about Red August, please sign up.
H.L. Yes! It's in print. It can be found in print on Amazon (available internationally as well), or if you're in Maryland you can catch me at an event. I…moreYes! It's in print. It can be found in print on Amazon (available internationally as well), or if you're in Maryland you can catch me at an event. I tend to do several per year. You could also request my book at your local book store. It's available through channels for the bookstores as well. I keep trying to update the cover image here on Goodreads. The cover it's been displaying since the beginning is the old cover. If you have trouble getting hold of it, let me know!(less)

Start your review of Red August
Dianne
What if Little Red Riding Hood was a hormonal, teenaged girl with sexual fantasies about boys and men, starring her as the main dish to be desired? What if there was more to those dreams than the musings of a teen? August and her mom have faced the loss of her father and will be moving to his old family home, which stands empty now with her grandmother in a nursing center. Enter Faolan, the handsome, older man in a kilt. Yep, In. A. Kilt. Refined, mature and with an accent, and In. A. Kilt. who ...more
Sandra
Aug 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Original Review Posted @ http://sandrathebookworm.blogspot.com...

The author was kind enough to provide me with a copy of her book in exchange for an honest review.

Wow, this Red Riding Hood retelling is very different and I loved it! I can' wait for the next book in the series especially with that ending. August is going through a hard time her dad just passed away and she's moving away to a new town where she knows no one. It is there where she meets her mysterious next door neighbor Faolan,
Natasha Lane
Nov 08, 2016 rated it liked it
This novel breaks from the typical YA paranormal romance. Not only is it darker (which I appreciate so much) but it's definitely R-rated. Too often YA para-rom novels are covered by the perceived "teen innocence." Because the author didn't sugar coat her characters sexual desires it came off more realistic and that was a breath of fresh air after reading the same old, same old.

Additionally, the main character, August, is both likeable and relateable. She's sweet, yet a little awkward. She's
Stephanie (Reading is Better With Cupcakes)
As I have stated before, I love reading retellings of fairytales. However, some fairytales get retold more often than others. Some over done. So I was really excited to find one that is a retelling of the Little Red Ridinghood story. I personally haven't come across too many of them, so I was ready to jump right in!

This is the story about August and her journey of discovery. Throughout the course of the story she realizes that she really doesn't know much about herself or her family.

This story
K
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The author was kind enough to provide me with a free copy of Red August in exchange for an honest review. This book is a retelling of Little Red Riding Hood, and it is the first in a series. :)

Plot
The story revolves around August Archer, who is just your average teenage girl - that is, until she finds out about her rather extraordinary family history. Still coping with the loss of her father, she is forced to confront facts which seem a lot more like fiction, while at the same time struggling
Margaret
Nov 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
I’m always down for a modern twist on a fairy tale. I LOVE Grimm Fairy Tales! Seriously, LOVE- one of my favorite things to read are modern tales based on the old tales. Which is why I chose to read this book- it did not disappoint!
Most books are hard to get into or they don’t capture your attention right away, well, this book is NOT like that! It opens with a dream, a sexy dream. And man, woooo! Good one too. August is a smart, beautiful, strong character. She’s perfect for this story of Red
Baghoul
Aug 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
The prologue is very gripping I will admit that, unfortunately the rest of the book fails to deliver. Halfway through the book I was convinced it was a hidden gem and I was ripe with anticipation. Being a younger woman, we rarely see erotic novels aimed towards us, especially paired with older men. The main character was relatable and tough. However it is with the introduction of her love interest that I lost mine! He is rather unbearably dull and I simply can't see why he would be in love with ...more
Erica
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Bravo, H.L.! August is a beautifully written character, and you find a way to make her story absolutely relatable. I often times felt as if you'd managed to pull pages from my personal journal, in terms of young love, frustration and growing into my own skin. Sexy, meaningful and fun- I give Red August 5 stars every time. Excited to read your next installment! :)
Lacie
Sep 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Review to come :3
Donna Shullenbarger
Jul 20, 2017
Janel Frazier
Jan 23, 2016
Bee
rated it did not like it
Aug 28, 2015
Jennifer Paris
Aug 25, 2017
Margaret
Oct 06, 2015
H.L. Brooks is a writer of fiction and lover of fairy tales. She enjoys exploring classic fairy tales and re-telling them in modern settings, with dashes of erotica, but mostly drama and adventure.

She also writes on such topics as art, music, feminism, body acceptance and beauty standards.

She has had a presence on the internet since the late 1990s, first publishing an arts-related homepage that