Start by marking “Syn” as Want to Read:
Syn

Syn

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  29,508 Ratings  ·  2,482 Reviews
Sonny je ideální vězeň. V moderní, přísně střežené věznici Staten se těší značné oblibě, neboť slouží ostatním vězňům jako zpovědník – naslouchá jejich přiznáním a uděluje jim rozhřešení. Šušká se o něm, že na sebe bere vinu za zločiny jiných a odpykává si jejich tresty výměnou za pravidelnou dodávku drog. Vrchní komisař Šimon Kéfas, působící na osloském oddělení vražd, je ...more
Hardcover, FLEET, 499 pages
Published October 15th 2015 by Kniha Zlín (first published March 19th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Syn, please sign up.
Anna He's compelling because he abounds in this talent called "story-telling". Not all authors can do that. He can spin a yarn. He doesn't want to tell…moreHe's compelling because he abounds in this talent called "story-telling". Not all authors can do that. He can spin a yarn. He doesn't want to tell everything on the first pages, he lingers, he adds details that seem to be completely redundant plot-wise, but add so much flavor to the whole story and characters. If you look at his sentences, taken out of context they are often irrelevant, but together they create an addictive read.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Janellyn51
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Paul Bryant
It was clear the book had been read up to page 149 – crumbs between the pages, the occasional squashed insect – but after page 150 the rest of the book was pristine, the spine was uncreased.
We got a reasonable set of prints from the cover and ran them though the database of usual suspects. We got an immediate hit – they belonged to Paul Bryant, who we knew from a lot of smart aleck stuff on Goodreads.

We picked him up at 11.30 am on Tuesday hanging around Waterstones. He didn’t give us any trou
Maureen
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Sometimes it's hard to express just how good a book is. Finding just the right ( often used), words and phrases to depict how it made you feel, but anyway, here goes. 'The Son' has gripping, unrelenting action, bent coppers, drug dealers, human traffickers, the dregs of the underworld, and then there's Sonny Lofthus (The Son), who is on a mission to rid the world of some very unpleasant characters, to avenge the death of his police officer father. There's a villain called 'The Twin', and also a ...more
Lyn
Jun 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading Jo Nesbo a reader quickly realizes that Nesbo is always capable of producing a good book, but also has in him the ability to write a great book. Nesbo’s 2000 Harry Hole book The Redbreast is an example of Nesbo’s writing at its best.

His 2014 novel The Son is another example.

First of all, this is NOT a Harry Hole novel. The Son is a stand-alone book that centers around protagonist Sonny Lofthus, a convicted murderer and heroin addict. We find Sonny in prison and the reader quickly learns
James Thane
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very good stand-alone novel from Jo Nesbo, author of the series featuring the brilliant Norwegian homicide detective, Harry Hole. This psychological thriller features two protagonists. The first is a young man named Sonny Loftus. Sonny's father was exposed as a corrupt cop and took his own life. Completely destroyed by the loss of the father he adored and disillusioned by the revelations about the man, Sonny turns to drugs. Now in his middle-thirties, Sonny has spend half his life in p ...more
Orsodimondo
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: noir, norvegia
SANGUE E NEVE
Stavo leggendo un libro che procedeva con più lentezza del solito, forse, addirittura, con fatica. Allora, ho preso questo mio primo Nesbø, tanto per alternare letture, sapendo che il norvegese se non altro sarebbe stato più scorrevole.
Poi, però, è successo che l’ho aperto venerdì pomeriggio e l’ho richiuso domenica notte, 542 pagine dopo. Non sono riuscito a metterlo giù! Non sono riuscito a chiuderlo fino alla fine, il progetto di alternare la lettura è fallito miseramente.

description
Oslo

Que
Nicole~
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jo Nesbø is a pure gold phenomenon. An economist, active musician/songwriter/vocalist, ex-footballer (retired due to injury); he confessed in 2013 to be behind the pen-name of Tom Johansen; novelist of a successful children's book series featuring Fart Powders and a wildly popular, mad-cap Doctor Proctor; he's considered the top Norwegian crime fiction author globally, and now with his new anti-hero, there is five-star splendor in The Son...

30 year old Sonny Lofthus is kept in a perpetual catato
Phrynne
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4000-books
I have read every book in Jo Nesbø's Harry Hole series and enjoyed them all so I decided it was time to try his stand alone books too. It was a good decision.
The Son is like a Harry book but with other police instead of Harry. Except of course the main character is an anti hero who you spend most of the book rooting for. If Harry had been there then Sonny would not have stood a chance:)
There were so many twists and turns in this story that I almost lost track of what was happening but enjoyed th
Thomas Edmund
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I confess beginning The Son with a healthy degree of skepticism, I was continually trying to second guess the rationale for writing a police thriller sans everyone's favorite detective. Suffice to say I think my question was answered by the end of the novel (you won't be disappointed to pick up this book) While there are some similarities with the classic series, such as a flawed detective hero, Kripos fighting with the local crime squad (I guess its no different from the cliche of FBI taking ov ...more
Manuel Antão
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
If you're into stuff like this, you can read the full review.

"The Son" or "Harry Hole is Dead, Alas" by Jo Nesbo

"Eine Mordgeschichte erfordert mehr schöpferische Fantasie, mehr Gespür für Komposition und den sparsamen Umgang mit Effekten als jede andere literarische Gattung. Der Kriminalschriststeller muss stimmig sein; er muss ein Gefühl für die Mathematik der Details haben, denn alles muss in eine streng begrenzte Einheit passen und auf eine einzige, vorbestimmte Auflösung hinzielen."
(My own r
Barbara
Apr 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Norwegian Sonny Lofthus, a thirty-year-old heroin addict convicted of two murders, has been in Staten Prison for twelve years. Sonny was a promising athlete as as teen but lost his way after his police officer father, Ab Lofthus, committed suicide amid a corruption scandal involving a police mole. Sonny, in despair and needing heroin, has been an 'official scapegoat' for years, taking the blame for crimes committed by other people. Just recently Sonny was allowed out on day release just when a w
Maria (Big City Bookworm)

3.5 stars rated up!

This was my first experience with a Jo Nesbø novel and it definitely won't be the last!

I won't lie, this book has been on my TBR for years and I have no idea why I neglected to pick it up. The synopsis pulled me in back when I first came across this novel and I knew it would be something that I would most likely love, but for whatever reason, I just never felt like picking it up until recently.

I don't think I have ever read a book that took place in Norway before and with Osl
Manju
Story is pretty much as the blurb tell us. Sonny is in jail from last 12 years for accepting crimes which he has not committed but easy drugs and peaceful place is all that he wants. And these confessions are bringing him those. Things changed when a fellow prisoner tells him that his father was killed and not committed suicide, Sonny decides to come out and avenge his father.

First the good things. This is a stand alone book and a great story told in third person about Drug/Trafficking Lords vs
Perry
Jan 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Righteous Novel of Revenge
With "Noisy Mating Sounds" and "Many Loud Mating Noises"

Mating Dance of American Southern Redneck Male
adapted from Australian outback

A righteous novel of revenge that races toward a feverish conclusion, by startling bends, dazzling drops, and some jerks and jolts past a few stun grenades. The story is a bit far-fetched though and ties together too tidily to have the terrific ring of realism that surrounds the great thrillers.

Hilarious, unrealistic translation from No
TL
May 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of crime fiction
Recommended to TL by: GoodReads Giveaway
First read May 8th-14th, 2014
Re-read: April 2016
*upgraded my rating from four to five stars, loved even it more the second time*

Next stop on the brief re-read kick of April :)

This was my first book I ever won off goodreads... you should have seen my face haha and forwarding the email to all my friends, I remember counting the days till the book arrived in the mailbox.

Still the same feelings about this that I had before, just a gorgeous and well crafted story. It was also kind of new to me in som
Harry
Jul 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book Review

The Son, the latest stand-alone by Jo Nesbo is about a passionate, festering and pointless instinct. Or to put it differently: it's about revenge. And who better to deliver revenge than our favorite deviant writer, Jo Nesbo who says of the emotion"By avenging a misdeed we don’t regain what we have lost, but we ensure that misdeeds have consequences that we hope can be a deterrent in the abstract future: Your adversary knows that attacking your offspring has a cost, even if the attack
switterbug (Betsey)
Although I own a slew of Nesbo’s Harry Hole books, I never did know where to begin. So, when this stand-alone was offered, I decided to give it a go. Therefore, I can’t compare this to any book other than related thrillers or mysteries. It held its own, and I ripped through the pages in record time (just a few days), as I was riveted to the well-paced narrative. Nesbo did not squander character for plot; the main players were well-rounded and sympathetic.

Sonny Lofthus, now thirty, has been in pr
Sophia
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sophia by: Nectar Terzian
B.R.A.CE. 2018 Ένα βιβλίο συγγραφέα που, αν και δεν σας άρεσε, θα του δίνατε άλλη μια ευκαιρία

Εγώ και ο Jo ο Nesbø, έχουμε μία περίεργη σχέση. Μέχρι τώρα από όσα είχα διαβάσει δικά του, μόνο το Κυνηγοί Κεφαλών έχω απολαύσει. ΝΑΙ! Υπάρχω κι εγώ που δεν με έχει σαγηνεύσει ο Χάρι... Σταυρώστε με!

Αλλά θέλω να του δίνω ευκαιρίες και με τον Γιό άξιζε! Ωραία υπόθεση, μέχρι το τέλος και για μένα ήταν εντελώς page-turner (Πως το λέτε εσείς εδώ, γιατί ξεχνάω πως το λέμε εμείς εκεί :P ). Κινηματογραφικ
Wanda
Gripping. That is the word that I would use to describe this offering by Jo Nesbø. It was a difficult book to put down—the urge to read “just one more chapter” was strong.

I think it is safe to say that if you enjoy Nesbø’s writing and/or other Nordic noir fiction, you will enjoy The Son. There is unrelenting action, plenty of interesting clues to keep your brain busy, a little romance—just to confuse you a bit, and lots & lots of bad guys, plus several characters who inhabit the gray zone of
Mike (the Paladin)
Aug 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
This is the second book I've read by Jo Nesbo and I frankly couldn't get into the first. I was "prevailed upon" by a Nesbo fan to try a different book, maybe not of the series Nesbo is well known for.

I've got to say that this is an excellent book. Time and time again the plot seems to be heading one way only to shift and surprise me. The characters while not all detailed are well done and throughout that book we will get to know Sonny better and better.

I even got to like him. Which can seem a bi
Susan
Mar 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jo Nesbo, author of the incredibly successful Harry Hole series, has written a fast paced and exciting stand alone thriller in “The Son.” Sonny Lofthus is a model prisoner at an Oslo jail. In prison for twelve years since the age of eighteen (for crimes he did not commit, but confesses to in return for a constant supply of drugs) , he is a mysterious and charismatic figure. Seen as a healer and a confessor, the other prisoners go to him for absolution of their sins. As a child, Sonny idolised hi ...more
Paula Kalin
I am now a Jo Nesbo fan. His fast-paced stand-alone thriller has a terrific father-son revenge plot. The main characters are quite likable even when not the good guys. 30 year old, former addict Sonny Loftus, has a wonderfully calm voice when listening to the audiobook. I really enjoyed the interaction between Sonny, who is out to seek revenge for his father's death, and Simon Kefas, the veteran homicide detective assigned to the case.

Prior to The Son I have only read the first of the Harry Hol
Emily
Όταν ξεκίνησα να διαβάζω το βιβλίο ομολογώ ότι ήμουν με ανακατεμένο στομάχι και έτοιμη να το παρατήσω. Αιτία ήταν το προσωπικό μου ίρτζι που δεν αντέχει ό,τι έχει να κάνει με ηρωίνη, χρήση και νέους. Αν σε αυτά προστεθεί και ο παράγοντας "φυλακή" τότε το μίγμα είναι για μένα θανατηφόρο. Είναι μία αδυναμία μου που χρήζει ψυχιατρικής βοήθειας και το έχω αναγνωρίσει εδώ και χρόνια ασχέτως εάν δεν έχω προλάβει να το κάνω πράξη.
Η ιστορία λοιπόν του νεαρού φυλακισμένου ηρωινομανή Σόνυ, πιο νεαρού και
João Carlos

Jo Nesbo (n. 1960)

O norueguês Jo Nesbo (n. 1960) é um dos meus escritores de policiais favorito; entre a credibilidade dos enredos e a marginalidade das personagens – incluindo, o inspector Harry Hole – há um talento narrativo e um desenvolvimento das “histórias” que acaba sempre por valorizar a singularidade da trama ou a excentricidade da sua intriga. Num bom livro policial nem sempre me interessa, exclusivamente, a imprevisibilidade do enredo – como acontece, em ”O Filho” -, mas antes a descr
Thanos
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Υπάρχει ζωή μετά τον Harry Hole? Ε ναι λοιπόν υπάρχει!!! Ο Sonny Lofthus είναι ο νέος μεγάλος αντι-ήρωας του Nesbo. Ένας φυλακισμένος ηρωινομανής που δεν διστάζει να τα βάλει με όλο τον κόσμο προκειμένου να αποδοθεί δικαιοσύνη. Η δική του δικαιοσύνη. Στο δρόμο του θα βρεθεί όλος ο υπόκοσμος της Νορβηγίας καθώς και η αστυνομία προκειμένου να τον εξουδετερώσουν. Δολοφονίες, ίντριγκες, διαφθορά, έρωτας, ψέματα είναι λίγα από τα στοιχεία που κάνουν αυτό το μυθιστόρημα αριστούργημα!! Είναι ένα απίστε ...more
Matthew
3.5 Stars

Whenever I read a Jo Nesbo book, it has some great, thrilling parts and some interesting plot twists. But, it also has a lot of slower parts and places where I am confused about what exactly is going on. The Son was not an exception.

Each little anecdote about "The Son" and the details of (view spoiler) was great. But, the overall plot about the (view spoiler) was kind of convoluted, confusing, and sometimes
Lena♥Ribka
Audibleheadphones_icon_1

Well...Now I know:

There ARE corrupted cops in Norway and...mafia!

I mean, if it were a novel set in Italy, Russia, Latin America or even USA, no one would have been surprised. But Norway?! REALLY?!

Oh YES.

They are the worst . Believe me. Or at least I blindly ate up the whole story, and I am NOT GOING to question ANYTHING here. I sat on the edge of my seat and went almost crazy because the tension in many situations was UNBEARABLE. I got more grey hair, that's for sure.

But what a great s
Vasso
Nov 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Διαβάζοντας την πλειοψηφία των βιβλίων του Nesbo και μέχρι την ανάγνωση του συγκεκριμένου, θεωρούσα ότι η ναυαρχίδα του συγγραφέα ήταν «Ο Χιονάνθρωπος». Ολοκληρώνοντας το βιβλίο, αρχίζω πλέον να αναθεωρώ! «Ο Γιος» είναι ένα ακόμη αριστούργημα του Nesbo με κινηματογραφική πλοκή και δυνατούς χαρακτήρες, καθιστώντας του ένα βιβλίο που δύσκολα αφήνεις από τα χέρια σου.

Πρωταγωνιστής αυτή τη φορά δεν είναι ο γνωστός Χάρι Χόλε, αλλά ο Σόνι Λοφτχους, ο οποίος εκτίοντας την ποινή του στην υπερσύγχρονη φ
Kevin
Apr 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kevin by: Maureen
Father kills himself and after finding some long hidden truths the son goes after everyone who caused the suicide to happen. I found myself cheering on the son and hoping he didn't get caught.
Corrupt police, corrupt prison officials, drug dealers, killers...it's all here! Interesting writing with some excellent twists and turns in the storyline. I will definitely read Nesbo again!
David Staniforth
After reading and thoroughly enjoying Nesbo’s Headhunters, I dived into this one: my second Nesbo book. I almost gave up on it at chapter ten. Too many characters introduced too quickly, and too much chopping and changing from one scenario to another. Something, however, made me give it a little more time and by chapter 13 I was hooked to the point where I struggled to put it down. The characters just grew on me, I guess, and I needed to see where it was going to end up.

You almost lost me, Mr Ne
Carol
I have a new favorite author: Jo Nesbo. (No doubt kudos are owed to the unsung translator, too.) The Son is one of the best police procedural/action/crime novels I've read in the last 12 months. The characters, even minor ones, ring true, with the single exception (to me) of Kari Adel, who seemed to exist solely as a conduit for communicating facts to the reader which wouldn't have been in the possession of one of the other main characters - but this is a minor criticism. Plot pacing, complexity ...more
judging a book by the cover... and it is good. 4 46 Jul 14, 2017 10:28AM
THE SON by Jo Nesbo 36 131 Dec 29, 2014 01:14AM
Exciting!! 2 34 Jun 26, 2014 12:55PM
  • Jakthundene (William Wisting #8)
  • Marco Effekten (Afdeling Q, #5)
  • Furðustrandir (Inspector Erlendur #11)
  • Die Schwalbe, die Katze, die Rose und der Tod (Inspector Van Veeteren #9)
  • The Disappeared (Fredrika Bergman & Alex Recht, #3)
  • Evas Öga (Inspector Konrad Sejer #1)
  • Death of a Nightingale (Nina Borg, #3)
  • Fjällgraven  (Sebastian Bergman, #3)
  • Where Monsters Dwell (Odd Singsaker, #1)
  • The Sandman (Joona Linna, #4)
  • Till offer åt Molok (Rebecka Martinsson, #5)
  • The Troubled Man (Kurt Wallander, #10)
  • Misterioso (A-gruppen, #1)
  • Another Time, Another Life (Fall of the Welfare State, #2)
Jo Nesbø is a bestselling Norwegian author and musician. He was born in Oslo and grew up in Molde. Nesbø graduated from the Norwegian School of Economics with a degree in economics. Nesbø is primarily famous for his crime novels about Detective Harry Hole, but he is also the main vocals and songwriter for the Norwegian rock band Di Derre. In 2007 Nesbø also released his first children's book, Dokt ...more
More about Jo Nesbø

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Wrong Man
    $9.49 $1.99
  • What You Don't Know
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • When They Come for You (Harper McDaniel #1)
  • Murder at Bray Manor : a cozy historical mystery
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Every Single Secret
  • Name of the Devil: A Jessica Blackwood Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Night Crew (Sean Drummond, #7)
  • The Music of the Deep
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adventuress (Lady Emily, #10)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer Children (The Collector, #3)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Good Twin
    $5.99 $2.99
  • An Innocent Client (Joe Dillard, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Speed of Sound (Speed of Sound Thrillers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Bones (Shetland Island, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Bourne Initiative (Jason Bourne, #14)
  • The Good Neighbor
  • Under an English Heaven: An Ellie Kent Mystery
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Swansong (DI Nick Dixon #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Cold Day For Murder (Kate Shugak #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Have His Carcase (Lord Peter Wimsey #8)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • My Brother Michael
  • Casino: Love and Honor in Las Vegas
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Mr. Timothy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
  • The Memory Closet
  • What Lies Below
  • Silent Child
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Pleasantville
    $12.49 $1.99
  • The Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Killing Orders
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Prince Lestat (The Vampire Chronicles #11)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Mother
    $2.99 $1.49
“But there is always a point where things can no longer be put off, where you can’t be weak one more day and promise yourself that tomorrow, tomorrow you will start that other life.” 8 likes
“Love surrounds you like steam in the shower. You can’t see the individual drops, but you get warm. And wet. And clean.” 8 likes