Start by marking “The Lost Soul (Enchena, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Lost Soul (Enchena, #1)

The Lost Soul

(Enchena #1)

~Part one of the epic fantasy duology~

Enchena's history is written by the victorious. Through war and betrayal, King Hrafn's reign has spread across the land. The rebellion is stirring again...

In a world where the evil nature of humans has infected the very forests and animals surrounding them, they are crying out for a new hope; a new hero.
Natural enemies must come togeth
Published August 30th 2015 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Soul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lost Soul

Start your review of The Lost Soul (Enchena, #1)
Molly Mortensen
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Molly by: K.S. Marsden
I was back and forth about this book in the beginning, (hence the bad, good, bad, good, in this review.) but at 40% it greatly improved and I enjoyed the rest of the story!

The Bad:

The first 5% was kinda slow, as Samantha's every day life is established. She's socially awkward, quiet, and panics at the first sign of danger.

Basically one scene made me dislike her. These people are risking their lives to help you, virtual strangers, and you're rude to the girl because you're jealous?

The Good:

O
Merril Anil
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Oh look!! Unicorns

A Huge thanks to the author for providing me a copy of the book to read and review

There is no doubt about author's skill as a story teller. Don't believe me?Read her Witch hunter series to know how good she is. They had to call an ambulance to get me conscious because I had passed out of excitement over reading her book and holding my breath till the end of that series. So such a fan when given a chance to read her new work would automatically be on it without a second thou
Scarolet Ellis
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading this book very much. K.S. Marsden is a wonderful writer and I highly recommend this book and author to everyon who loves a good book.

Jason Greensides
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A BEAUTIFULLY WRITTEN FANTASY FULL OF MEMORABLE CHARACTERS

Samantha is catapulted into a strange land where ancient myths resurface in a time of conflict. She must quickly come to grips with an unfamiliar environment where trees move, strange beasts stalk the forest, and where the most majestic and elegant creatures dwell... Unicorns.

Yes, unicorns.

I'm a thirty-nine-year-old male and something told me when I was assessing the alluring front cover and plot synopsis that I was not the intended demog
Ryan Guy
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Toward the end of the book one of the unicorns asks, "Why do humans have to be so devious and complicated?" Because, dear unicorn, the story wouldn't be very interesting otherwise. Besides, the non-human characters had plenty of conflict and intrigue too. If the horseshoe fits, wear it.
When this book started I thought I had it all figured out: Plain Jane type (Samantha) follows high school heartthrob (David) into a new world - they fall in love and save the world to boot. Thankfully, I was wrong
Awallens
Jul 01, 2016 rated it liked it
I really like this book a lot. Once I got into the story I was really interested and wanted to know what was going to happen. If you like your endings tidy though, this is not the book for you. I was kind of hoping for a more definitive ending, but I guess I will just have to pick up the next book. Overall a great read.
Wilmar Luna
Dec 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Lost Soul by K.S. Marsden is a fantasy adventure book where a young girl gets mysteriously transported to the world of Enchena. So let’s start off with the book cover. If you’re a reader who isn’t really interested in reading a book that seems heavily catered to girls (think Barbie’s playhouse). You may think that The Lost Soul is not for you since it has a unicorn featured prominently on the cover.

You would be mistaken. The Lost Soul is an extremely refreshing take on a well treaded genre.
Banal Girl
Apr 04, 2017 rated it liked it

This book is about one magic world, called Enchena, were the King Hrafn's wants to gain more power and contain the rebels that are against him. In order to gain more power, he needs the "Lost Soul", a person that is considered to have more power than the king.
David and Samantha, two humans that never heard about Enchena, are forced to enter that world and to be part of the story. Will they help the rebels or the king?

In this book we have lots of mystic creatures. That was probably one of the thi
Lana
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A highly imaginative riveting tale about a young girl who follows a young guy through a portal and ends up in a country called Enchena where the King is a tyrant and there is a rebel group called the gardyn trying to oust him. Samantha learns that the King had taken the young man believing him to be the lost soul of prophecy but Sam soon finds out that she is really the lost soul and from thereon she tries to live up to the prophecy. Taking on the King's army and defending the gardyn as best she ...more
Becky Boudreau
DNFed at page 173.

I tired so hard to like this book, but I just didn't. The characters are so unlikable and we Leads nothing about the world. Almost 200 pages in and I'm still not sure on what was going on with the plot, the motivations for the characters, or what was at stake. I hate to say this, but I was so bored reading this book. I had other books tempting me to read them and this book almost sent me into a reading slump.

I hope the end was better, but I probably won't find out.

**I was se
Tom Fallwell
Dec 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I began reading The Lost Soul, I found the story progressing too fast, and I was concerned about not actually getting to know the characters. Considering the length of the novel, I wondered just how much detail was going to be brushed over. To my delight, things did finally slow, but they seemed at that point to slow to a crawl. The first half of the book was like that for me. Too fast, then too slow.

Now with that out of the way, I found the second half of the book far more to my liking. Th
Echo
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, magic
I started the book intrigued by the synopsis and entranced by the beautiful cover. I've not come across unicorns in many fantasy books, but with K.S.Marsden's own love of horses I expected the cover image to be brought to life within the pages!

I was not disappointed. At first, the story was a little hard to get into - Sam's greatest goal in life is to stay invisible and coast along unseen through school and teenage life. Then, through a series of events that were seemingly completely random (at
Thorn Osgood
Jul 20, 2016 rated it liked it
The Lost Soul by K.S. Marsden is the story of Samantha who has a fairly normal teenage lifestyle, being awkward and salivating over a boy, David Jones. She is so affected when he talks to her she sometimes cannot respond. When she sees him being literally picked up by a man, she follows him and ends up meeting an old woman she calls Gran. There is a gateway in Gran’s home that Samantha learns David has been taken through and she is warned that she does not want to go through. Samantha goes throu ...more
Night-Mere
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
ARC provided in exchange for honest review.

I enjoyed reading this book because it's not what you would expect and each time you think you've gotten it figured out, something changes to throw you a bit. It turns out that, even in fantasy, not everyone is redeemable. Sometimes, there are simply factors that cause people to be lost from us. Yes, this title probably refers the THE 'lost soul' of Echena, but I wonder if the author meant it to apply to more than one character in her novel, as many of
Lorraine
Aug 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star, fantasy
An enjoyable and interesting fantasy story, that kicked off at a fast trot, maybe a little too fast at the start, but settled down to a slower pace that let the tension and suspense capture my attention.

The plot was well-thought out, and included plenty of information and the history surrounding the events. The adventure, mystery, intrigue and danger all go into make this a great story.

The detailed descriptions allowed me to visualise the landscape, the scenes and the characters.
I loved the who
Barb VanderWel
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this & I can't wait for more.
I will be also leaving a review on Goodreads @ Amazon.
And letting everyone know about it.
So i gave it a 5 Stars.
Kayla Pipkin
Mar 05, 2018 rated it liked it
This book wasn't for me.

Samantha follows a fellow classmate, David, into a portal after he is kidnapped from an alleyway.
One of them will bring the rebellion to an end, while the other will be their destruction.

This story is told in dual POV: David and Samantha.
However, it isn't distinguished between who is speaking.
This is one of my biggest pet peeves when reading.
When I have to use clues while reading to determine who is speaking makes me upset.
I think it should be clear from the beginning wh
Kelly Moncrief
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Samantha is a young girl who lacks self-confidence. David is a young boy who has self-confidence. Samantha has a crush on David but every time he tries to speak to her she either shuts down or says something stupid or sounds like she has an attitude.

Samantha finds herself in over her head when follows David into a run-down home and go through a portal. What Samantha us unaware of is that her curiosity about following David through the portal will not only give her self-confidence but will chang
Ashley
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
There are really great parts, and then there are bad parts that made it hard to keep up. I would say the first bit is a little slow for my liking. It does pick up not unreasonably into the book and we have a solid pace throughout after that. I like the action scenes and the fantasy elements are just a lot of fun. I did start to hate Samantha part way through though. She did have something bad happen, but I was upset with her reaction for a little bit of the middle end of the book.

I received a fr
Tanya
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
the wars have travelled across the world and it is destroying everything. the humans are behind it all. the world needs someone to save the trees. natural enemies have to come together to fight a rebellion which is needed. will they be able to work together? will they be successful? see by reading

Melina
Aug 24, 2018 rated it liked it
It was ok, it was entertaining and I liked the world and history built, but the pace was off, at times being slow, other times advancing too fast. I doubt I will read the follow-up to be honest.
The Captain
May 18, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: horses
Ahoy there me mateys! I received this fantasy eARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. So here are me honest musings . . .

I picked this novel from NetGalley because it has a pretty cover with a white unicorn on it and seemingly good reviews. For example, Goodreads lists the book to have a rating of 4.8 stars and Amazon gives it 4 stars. NetGalley had positive commentary like “Everyone loves a world with rich and fantastical histories and lore, and The Lost Soul offers that to you on
Amy Shannon
Feb 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Imaginative!

Get transported into the world of Enchena. Well, that's just part of the adventure. The cover does not do this book justice or give a hint of what is in store. It's full of magic and mystery, and unicorns (of course). Samantha is on a journey of her own self discovery and the adventure she finds when she follows David through the portal. It needed to flow a little better, but it was a good read, for anyone who likes unicorns, magic worlds and a good fantasy.
Melissa
May 26, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, fantasy
Disclaimer: I received this ebook for free through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Two teens, Samantha and David, fall through a portal in an elderly woman's home and find themselves in the world of Enchena. There, they learn that the population has been living under an unbroken line of tyrannical rulers and that salvation comes from the prophesied "Lost Soul".

The novel started out promising, but quickly bogged down with poor sentence structure and POV-jumping -- sometimes in the midd
Angelica
Mabel The Reader
Mar 30, 2021
Cameron Hayden
May 22, 2017
Shut Up & Read: {Read It & Reap 594} The Lost Soul by K.S. Marsden 7 27 Jul 21, 2016 03:52PM

• The Witch's Book of Self-Care: Magical Ways to Pamper, Soothe, and Care for Your Body and Spirit
Kelly S. Marsden grew up in Yorkshire, and there were two constants in her life - books and horses.
Graduating with an equine degree from Aberystwyth University, she has spent most of her life since trying to experience everything the horse world has to offer. She is currently settled into a Nutritionist role for a horse feed company in Doncaster, South Yorkshire.
She writes Fantasy stories part-tim

Enchena (2 books)
  • The Oracle (Enchena, #2)