Start by marking “Jem and the Holograms Vol. 1: Showtime (Jem and the Holograms #1)” as Want to Read:
Jem and the Holograms Vol. 1: Showtime (Jem and the Holograms #1)

Jem and the Holograms Vol. 1: Showtime

(Jem and the Holograms #1)

Meet Jerrica Benton - a girl with a secret. She and her sister Kimber team with two friends to become... JEM AND THE HOLOGRAMS! But what does it mean to be JEM today? Fashion, art, action, and style collide in Jem and the Holograms: Showtime!

Collects issues #1-6.
Published October 29th 2015 by IDW Publishing (first published March 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Jem and the Holograms Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jem and the Holograms Vol. 1

Start your review of Jem and the Holograms Vol. 1: Showtime (Jem and the Holograms #1)
Sesana
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-read, comics
Jem was one of my favorite cartoons when I was a kid. When the DVDs came out a few years ago, I was happy to see that they basically held up. Not especially deep, no, but fun and sparkly as I remembered. Hearing about a comic book reboot, I was initially not sure if I wanted any part of it. But Thompson sounded so enthusiastic, and I was hearing really good things. So I actually bought each issue as it came out. This is really rare for me right now. And, as it turns out, an excellent choice. ...more
Norah Una Sumner

Aww this was such a nice throwback! I love Jem and the Holograms and this first volume was really great. The art is beautiful but still urban and fun, the storyline is done nicely and it was really interesting to see this "new" Jem and her crew. I am looking forward to reading the next issue! Kelly and Ross did a great job with this classic. I felt like I was suddenly transferred to my childhood.
Stephanie
Dec 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
I kind of like the fact that I will be ending my 45 book year-long reading challenge with a comic book (and Jem no less!).

In my tiny world, 2015 was the year of the comic book. It all started with the first collected volume of Ms. Marvel back in January and progressed to a full-on obsession. Things got serious when I started getting my single-issue comics bagged and boarded, when the guys at the comic book store greeted me by name, and when I started keeping track of my pull lists (you gotta be organize
Maddie
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I LOVE JEM AND THE HOLOGRAMS! Cute pastel poprock chicks is a recipe for success in my books, I couldn't recommend this comic series more!! (This needs more exclamation points because it's just SO GOOD.)
Kirsty
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in return for an honest review.

Apparently this was a show in the late 1980's however, I never saw it myself. I picked up this comic because it looked a cute light read. This series is about an all girl band whose lead singer gets too nervous to perform and so the band find a new way to get a lead singer.

The characters in this are so diverse and that was something I definitely wasn't expecting. As I have alrea
Keith
Sep 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
I've been pretty pumped about this title for awhile. As an 80's kid (when themed action figure toylines were in their heyday), I was always curious about any toys aimed at girls that seemed to have a storyline past buying clothes. Of course I couldn't buy any of these toys and save face with my friends, but from afar there were a few that seemed pretty right-on.

Of these, Jem sent up the most fireworks in my little-boy brain. That amazing rotoscoped animation on the cartoon, the rock ban
Kristina
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved it! The artwork is amazing and the girls are simply gorgeous!!! I love how we got to know each one of them, their personal quirks and thoughts.
Can't wait to continue with volume 2 :)
Atnea
Sep 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: EVERYONE PLEASE GIVE IT A SHOT
I received this copy in exchange of an honest review, for so, none of my feelings were affected or biased by the author or publisher.

Update: 11/14/2015

If you'd like to read this review on my blog.

Rating: 3.5/5 stars.

Jem and the Holograms is a story of dreams, finding your true self and having fun along the way! We meet our four heroins, who are just about to make their dreams of becoming super stars true, if o/>Jem/>Rating:/>Update:
Akilah
Dec 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015, graphic-novel
The illustrations were nice, but I found some of the panels too busy. Also, I am just not really here for mean girl narratives. When the author said she was updating the story for a 2015 sensibility, I hoped that meant more character development for The Misfits (and especially for Pizzazz) but nope! Let's just keep her a raging hate beast for no real reason except jealousy. Okay then!
Courtney
Mar 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommended to Courtney by: Val
This is a re-make of the old TV cartoon series Jem & the Holograms (apparently I was a fan, but I have no memory of the actual show), updated for the new millenium.

I thought this was a pretty good adaptation from what little I know of the show. Four sisters have formed a band and are planning to enter a major competition for a chance to win a record deal. Unfortunately, their lead singer Jerrica is terrified of performing in front of people. Normally this would be a short story a
Mike
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really am a grown man, mortgage marriage and (usually) employment. (Plenty of footage that led to my last firing, some still under court seal.)

So why the hell would I be reading a comic about an 80's pre-teen-girls-marketed cartoon?

Sesana of course. One of the more illustrious Shallow Comics Readers, when Sesana gets this excited about something you best pay attention son.

Plus they're written by Kelly Thompson who just got a gig writing Hawkeye (starring Kate Bishop) for M
Kyle
Apr 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a little, spirited boy in the '80's, I used to sprint home from public school to watch Jem and the Holograms, He Man, She-Ra and Transformers. It's totally not a surprise that I turned out the way that I did, right?

It also shouldn't have been a surprise to me that, as a fully-grown, spirited man-nerd, that I am clearly not the intended audience for this comic book. I was kinda hoping that there would be a bit more wink-wink, tongue-in-cheek material for the fans of yesteryear, but
Geena
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I just needed to take a short break from what i was reading soo i picked up this one and i actually enjoyed it very much! I love the art, absolutely love it, how vibrant everything are and it just goes with the story. I can really see myself giving this to my daughters (when i have one, im only 20 guys x) because the book is just so darn pretty. Jem and Kimber are my favourite <3
FrankieReads
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holy crap - I'm in love. Totally in love with everything about this comic. Sisterhood, body positivity, cute romances, SICK wardrobes, beautiful art style, and compelling plot line. I love all the characters, but my favs are Aja, Shana, and STORMER. Just copped the next 3 volumes in this series because I have to put all the Jem and the Holograms comics In. My. Face.
Shannon
More of a 3.5 than a 4, and nostalgia goodness.

Really great update on the world and characters, love the styling, inclusiveness and openness.

I may or may not continue the series, only because I'm scaling back on YA/younger titles (and less Hoopla credits!). I'll check the library to see if I can get more volumes there, otherwise I might leave it here as this was enjoyable on it's own.
Kathryn
Nov 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
I tend to read comic books from time to time. Usually of the superhero variety. But nostalgia drew me to this title. And when I saw that it was on sale in a digital format, I simply couldn't resist. I was a bit disappointed, however.

The Good:
While a bit more cartoony than I'm used to, the art in this book is quite good. It fits the tone of the writing and even enhances it a lot of the time. This is an updated version of Jem and the Holograms. Unlike the disastrous movie, howeve
Kat
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I went to my favorite comic book shop here by my school yesterday. Now, my mission was to get issue 2 of Spider Gwen, and hopefully issue 3 of The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. I left with neither.
I saw the cover of this comic book (it's not the same as the two editions I had to choose from on here) and I had to have it. I debated over this for a good 30 minutes at least, and bothered my poor boyfriend about what I really wanted because I couldn't make a decision (it's so easy for him wh
Luce
I recieved a copy of this from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I never watched Jem and the Holograms as a kid, being born in 1993 and with new pop culture staples (Rugrats, Wild Thornberries and Captain Planet, anyone?) to occupy my formative years, so I went into this with no expectations. But I think that even if I had, they would have been exceeded. This graphic novel is a visual feast. The art is bright and appealing, and everyone's character designs
Marina
This book is a delight!!!

I wasn't familiar with the cartoon other than knowing it existed and that it was very 80s, so coming to this book I didn't really know what to expect. However, it had been highly recommended by a reviewer whose opinions I trust and they were not wrong, I loved it.

From the very start you know what you'll be getting from this book, it's colorful, the art is fantastic, the story is a bit silly, but full of heart, and definitely something you could see on your tv with no problem. It
Solace Winter
Mar 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm not 100% sure how I feel about the art style in this comic yet. Yes, it's obviously very different than it was in the original cartoon/comics/toyline, but that's not really the issue. The designs are just different than what I'm used to. Also, Aja is chubby in this, which I think is great that they are embracing all body types, but at the end of it you see a preview cover of the next comic. The Asian girl from The Misfits (who I do not remember the name of off the top of my head right now) i ...more
Jeanne
May 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
The art is phenomenal. Seriously not only is it so vibrant it practically jumps off the page (or screen in this case), the diversity both in ethnicity and body times left me feeing down right spoiled. I liked how this first issue was totally intros and exposition that never felt like either. The pacing was great and it left me wanting to know about the characters and the world. I highly recommend this to readers of all ages, most especially young girls. Did I mention it has queer characters? YES ...more
Scott Robins
Dec 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gn, ya
So well done! Thompson and Campbell take the spirit of the original tv show and update it just enough to not seem inauthentic or forced. One of the first comics were we see character design that is inclusive, feminist and features different types of body shapes. Love the queer elements they've infused here. And the artwork is outstanding - unique layouts, bold colors that pop off the page and fantastic character moments. It's unfortunate the recent movie reboot got it so wrong, because this comi ...more
The Sapphic Nerd
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
The colour scheme of this comic is something that usually repels me, but I saw this at my local comic book store and decided to give it a try. You never know, right?

Jem and the Holograms surprised me. The writing is actually pretty good and the art isn't as painfully bright and pink as I feared. I really appreciate the different ethnic backgrounds and body types represented in the band members. I'm not in love, but I'm not sorry I picked it up, either. I'm interested in reading other
Lina
Oct 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE JEM SO MUCH! The cartoon was pure 80's joy about a woman named Jerrica Benton and her three sisters who after finding a machine called Synergy, start a band.

Now I know there was a horrible, bad, no good film with a similar title out, just ignore that. Read this instead. It has: great racial diversity with different complexions and not just tans, adorable lesbians, adorable plus sized lesbians, and sisterhood!

Please support this awesome comic, you will not regret it!
Amy!
This is SO FUN. I love all the bubblegum and cotton candy colors of the book, and the sisters' relationships with each other, and the diversity of the characters, and that the main love interest angst is between two girls and literally no one cares that they're both girls, only that they're in rival bands, and it was just a delight.
Ana
If you're tired of superheroes and want something in the vein of Lumberjanes #1 but with teen rockstars, I highly recommend this comic. You'll love all the characters and the art is gorgeous.
Lindsay
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
That was just as satisfying as I could have hoped for. Those sugary colors are the best, and Pizzazz is written like all the best 80s cartoon girl villains. I am definitely reading more!
Lacey Louwagie
Althea J.
Nov 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: my niecella
I've been collecting this issue-by-issue ever since my niece read Jem and The Holograms #1 (Jem and the Holograms, #1). and fell in love with it. I just read the trade (which collects the first 6 issues) and this is such a fun iteration of Jem! The art is a perfect match for the pace of the story and its unique and colorful characters.

Music was such an integral part of the cartoon so I was wondering how in the hell this could translate into comics. But the team of Thompson and Campbell bring it!! N

• Zodiac Starforce Volume 1: By the Power of Astra
  • SLAM! Vol. 1
  • Jonesy, Vol. 1
  • Josie and the Pussycats Vol. 1
  • Zodiac Starforce Volume 2: Cries of the Fire Prince
  • Moonstruck, Vol. 1: Magic to Brew (Moonstruck #1)
  • The Massive, Vol. 1: Black Pacific
  • The Woods, Vol. 2: The Swarm
  • Stone Cold (Lumberjanes, Vol. 8)
  • Coady and The Creepies
  • On a Roll (Lumberjanes, Vol. 9)
  • The Backstagers, Vol. 2: The Show Must Go On
  • Marvel Rising
  • Kim & Kim Vol. 1 (Kim & Kim #1-4)
KELLY THOMPSON has a degree in Sequential Art from The Savannah College of Art & Design. Her love of comics and superheroes have compelled her since she first discovered them as a teenager. Currently living in Portland, Oregon with her boyfriend and the two brilliant cats that run their lives, you can find Kelly all over the Internet where she is generally well liked, except where she's detest ...more

Jem and the Holograms (6 books)
  • Jem and the Holograms, Vol. 2: Viral