Start by marking “Good Night Owl” as Want to Read:
Good Night Owl

Good Night Owl

Owl is ready for bed. But as soon as he settles in, he hears a strange noise. He'll never get to sleep unless he can figure out what's going on! He looks everywhere-in his cupboard, underneath the floorboards-even in his walls. But while he's busy tearing his house apart, he doesn't notice one tiny, squeaky, mouse-shaped detail. . . . Will Owl ever get a good night's sleep ...more
Published April 19th 2016 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Good Night Owl, please sign up.
Scott Wilson From left to right, I see the Clash (Rope), Fugazi (The Argument), Old Time Relijun, Nirvana, the Stooges, Blur, the Ramones ... and one I can't figur…moreFrom left to right, I see the Clash (Rope), Fugazi (The Argument), Old Time Relijun, Nirvana, the Stooges, Blur, the Ramones ... and one I can't figure out. (less)

Start your review of Good Night Owl
Isa Lavinia
Nov 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-mg

The images didn't load, so I only read the dialogue and it was honestly one of the scariest things I've ever read in my life: this presence haunting the owl... the ending so abrupt and nightmarish... I was spooked!

Me:

But when I re-read it with the images it was a pretty cute story.

Manybooks
Well first and foremost, I guess I have to admit that I do find it rather disconcerting and definitely a trifle problematic that author/illustrator Greg Pizzoli has his owl going to sleep at night instead of being up and about (since owls of course are nocturnal and therefore tend to sleep during the day). However, I was still willing to swallow and subdue my sense of disbelief, as indeed, Good Night Owl does start out engagingly and humorously enough, with Owl continuously getting out of bed to ...more
Danielle
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Genius! Elements I love about this one:

Owl's robe/pajamas.
The way the story ramps up, and how far it ramps up.
That Owl says goodnight to himself.
That readers see and know something the main character does not in a delightful way.
The ending and how Owl addresses the noisemaker.
Asho
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My son is 5 and not reading independently yet, which means he is still solidly into picture books, but some of them are becoming a little "babyish" for him. When he picked this one out at the library I worried, based on the cover and simple title, that it would fall into the "babyish and not very exciting" category. Boy, was I ever wrong!
This book is hysterical. My husband and I trade off reading bedtime stories with my son, and one night when the boys were reading together I heard my son laughi
KC
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Owl can't sleep because a noise keeps him awake. He must pull his house a part in order to locate the disturbing sound.
Sarina
Oct 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this really hit home in a slightly uncomfortable way.

Owl spends the whole night trying to go to bed, but he just can’t until he can find the source of the mysterious noise: “squeek!” Every time he hears it, Owl’s attempt to find it becomes more drastic and more ridiculous. He is convinced it’s the door; he goes to check. He is convinced it is under the floor; he tears up the floorboards. He is convinced it is in the walls; he tears his house down. Finally, in a pile of his completely destro
Abigail
Feb 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Bedtime Story Selections
Owl hears a squeaky noise as he is going to bed and, thinking it must be somebody at the door, he goes to investigate. When he discovers that nobody is there, he returns to bed, only to hear the noise again. Thinking it must be coming from the cupboard, he pulls everything off the shelves, but cannot find the source. Each time he returns to bed, only to hear the noise again, Owl becomes progressively more bothered, pulling up his floorboards, taking off the roof of his house, even pulling down t ...more
Luisa Knight
Ages: 3 - 5

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (downloadable PDFs) which enable you to clean up your book before reading it! Visit my website: The Book Radar.
Heather
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
This looks like a pretty ordinary children's book, but about halfway through things take a turn and get weird. It still cracks me up even though my daughter's made me read it over and over.
Hannah
Have you ever read Owl at Home by Arnold Lobel? Pizzoli’s wonderful new picture book recalls the story “Strange Bumps” in the best way possible. In Lobel’s book, Owl is settling into bed when he is alarmed by the two “strange bumps” (his feet) under the covers of his bed. Chuckle-inducing antics ensue as Owl fearfully tries to escape the bumps and get some rest. In Pizzoli’s book, Owl is settling into bed when he hears a, “SQUEEK!” Like Lobel’s story, readers are almost immediately privy to the ...more
Margie
When your house is surrounded by woods in a neighborhood surrounded by woods, as the nights start to get cooler with the approach of winter, you can usually expect uninvited guests. Regardless of applying foaming filler in every nook and cranny, they find a way into your humble abode. As they make their presence known and your canine companion chooses to ignore them, you do too. It's a sort of a live and let live philosophy.

There are times though when lying in bed reading, their skittering and
Rebecca
May 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever gone crazy hearing a noise in your house while trying to fall asleep? Owl is in this predicament, and takes some serious action. This would be so fun to read theatrically at storytime, with the culprit visible as a sneaky seek-and-find.

(Side notes: I love looking at picture-book bedrooms, in all their sweet, uncluttered simplicity. No mess, no devices, just the bare minimum to suggest "bedroom." There's a lot to love about Greg Pizzoli's illustrations. I always like spotting one th
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Melki
Jun 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Owl is having anything BUT a good night when a squeaking sound keeps him from sleeping.

I liked the illustrations and the layout more than the story.
Jenna
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very cute story. Too bad all the kids who showed up for Preschool Storytime were mostly babies. But they liked squeaking along.
Katie
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
cute :)
Brett
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was ok
Not my cup of tea. Weirdly destructive and anxiety inducing. The ending is also a head-scratcher considering owls eat mice. Of course the bebe loves it and asks for it by name.
Jenny
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love owls (and currently have my classroom decorated with an owl theme) so this book scores extra points for being about a darling owl.

Owl is ready for bed...but just as he is about to go to sleep, he hears a small, unrecognizable noise. He must figure out what it is. He takes action to try to determine what is creating the noise. As the noise continues, the actions he takes become drastically bigger (and sillier). Love the illustrations, enjoyed the humor and LOVE the cute owl, including his
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Owl is going to bed, but he hears a "squeak!"
A funny story about finding the noise.

2019 storytime theme: A Universe of Stories / Nighttime

Reviewed from a library copy.
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
A fun bedtime story!

What's an owl to do, when every time he says good night to himself, and nestles down in bed, he hears a squeak? Searching high and low, and all through out his house, Owl can not figure out where that sound is coming from. If Owl wants a good night sleep, he has to find that noise. GOOD NIGHT OWL is a fun read that is sure to bring on a fit giggles, as readers watch Owl search tirelessly for the source of the squeak that's keeping him up. Hidden on each page is the mouse, who
Dan
Apr 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Squeek!

Before Owl can fall to sleep, he needs to find out where that sound is coming from...no matter what!

Squeek!

Yikes!!! I think the noise might be coming from inside your computer! Do you mind if Owl and I take a look?!

In all seriousness, kids will get a kick out of this beautifully illustrated, "bring the house down" story.
Chelsea
Apr 25, 2016 rated it did not like it
Unfortunately, this book was all about the destruction of a house due to a noise that was heard. I did not appreciate how this book is essentially showing children that it is okay to destroy things, such as your room or house, if you hear a noise that is unknown. I would not recommend this book to families.

-Book
-List
Katie Fitzgerald
I knew this book was supposed to be funny, but never felt the urge to laugh. I was more distracted by the fact that the owl is going to sleep at night. The author could have chosen any animal as his main character - why not choose a woodland creature that isn't nocturnal? It would be fun to read aloud to a group, but I'm not sure the ending would strike the right note with most audiences.
Michael Fitzgerald
Jun 22, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
Why must we have another stupid book about an uninvited mouse coming to visit? With a bear it's kind of Mutt and Jeff, but here the owl (who is somehow not out hunting at night) would snatch that mouse in a second for a meal. But really, they're going to be great friends. Right. Read some Aesop instead.
Marfita
May 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s
Mouse keeps squeaking and keeping Owl from sleeping. Not knowing where the sound is coming from, Owl tears his house to pieces trying to get rid of it. Shouldn't he eat the mouse when he finds him? Not only did the mouse cause all the trouble, but he's a mouse! By rights he should be dinner and not sleeping at the foot of the bed!
Sigh, I'm too literal, aren't I?
Mary Ann
I love the many ways this can be read -- bedtime story, spot-the-mouse story, silly story. Perhaps my favorite is with a beginning reader who can see the hilarious way Owl keeps getting more and more upset, laughing at owl and seeing in themselves how they get upset too. Great payoff at the end.
Kaitlyn
Oct 15, 2018 rated it did not like it
Beverly
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pbf-birds
This funny book will keep children laughing at the clueless owl and diligently searching each page for the elusive mouse. The fun and appealing cartoon illustrations are in bright pastels.
Jesse
Jul 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Owl literally tears his house apart looking for the source of a mysterious noise one night. This character is exactly like me! Poor Owl. At least he got a new friend out of it!
Jordan
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Alternate Title: Owl Struggles with Tinnitus.

• Don't Feed the Coos!
  • Crunch, the Shy Dinosaur
  • The Berenstain Bears Trick or Treat
  • Dragon Was Terrible
  • You Are New
  • Have You Seen Elephant? (Gecko Press Titles)
  • We Are Growing! (Elephant & Piggie like reading!, #2)
  • Harold & Hog Pretend For Real! (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #6)
  • A Parade of Elephants
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Spooky Old Tree
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Messy Room
  • Once Upon a Goat
  • The Berenstain Bears' Trouble at School
  • The Berenstain Bears in the Dark
  • Let's Go for a Drive! (Elephant & Piggie, #18)
  • The Honeybee
  • Pig the Elf
  • Can I Be Your Dog?
Greg Pizzoli is the author and illustrator of The Watermelon Seed, winner of the Theodor Seuss Geisel Award, Number One Sam, Templeton Gets His Wish, Tricky Vic: The Impossibly True Story of the Man Who Sold the Eiffel Tower, and coming in April 2016, Good Night Owl. He lives in Philadelphia.

News & Interviews