Start by marking “Once Upon a Dream (A Twisted Tale: Sleeping Beauty)” as Want to Read:
Once Upon a Dream (A Twisted Tale: Sleeping Beauty)

Once Upon a Dream (A Twisted Tale: Sleeping Beauty)

3.53  ·  Rating details ·  9,820 ratings  ·  1,538 reviews
What if the sleeping beauty never woke up?

It should be simple—a dragon defeated, a slumbering maiden, a prince poised to wake her. But when said prince falls asleep as soon as his lips meet the princess', it is clear that this fairy tale is far from over.

With a desperate fairy's last curse infiltrating her mind, Princess Aurora will have to navigate a dangerous and magica
Hardcover, Twisted Tales, #2, 440 pages
Published April 5th 2016 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Once Upon a Dream, please sign up.
Liz Which are you referring to? But if you press more details ender the synopsis it will tell you all the different covers it was published in! Hope I bec…moreWhich are you referring to? But if you press more details ender the synopsis it will tell you all the different covers it was published in! Hope I become of good use to you. (less)
Liz An excellent book in my opinion and no they are all stand alones but As Old As Time is so worth your time!

·  9,820 ratings  ·  1,538 reviews

Start your review of Once Upon a Dream (A Twisted Tale: Sleeping Beauty)
Fafa's Book Corner
Review posted on Fafa's Book Corner !

Beware spoilers ahead!

I received this E-ARC via Disney Hyperion and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

DNF

I have read one of the authors books The Nine Lives of Chloe King. This was before I started reviewing and blogging. I ended up DNFing that book. You can imagine my surprise when I found that the author was writing dark fairy tale retellings for Disney. I saw this book on Netgalley and read the synopsis. It sounded interesting so I requested it.
Stacee

I was disappointed by the first book in this series, but Aurora is my favorite princess and Sleeping Beauty is my favorite story, so I was willing to try this one. Yet, I don't even know what to say about it.

First off, I loved the premise. The fact that it wasn't a traditional sort of retelling was exciting. I liked the fact that it was all a dream and that Aurora needed to figure out how to wake herself up. To me, that means learning things and getting stronger and maybe magic. Sadly,
Dannii Elle
This is the second instalment in a series of Disney-inspired retellings by Liz Braswell. Once Upon a Dream is the tale of a Sleeping Beauty who might never wake up. Or, if she does, it probably won't be true love's kiss to awaken her.

I was immediately more invested in this, than the first book, from the very first line of, "A dragon was dead." The prologue set the story up nicely but I did not, however, appreciate all of the character traits and found the main character, Aurora, to be a little v
Cora Tea Party Princess
Feb 01, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Before Reading
We all know how much I loathed the last one (I hate Aladdin, OK?) so fingers crossed I like this one!

After Reading

Nope.

DNF @ 13%

I think it's time I gave up trying to read Liz Braswell, I just don't like her style at all.

This promised to be amazing, the premise was just so wonderful and intriguing, but I don't think this author is the best one to exercise this amazing idea. I found the prose to be stilted, so much that I couldn't settle into the story. It lacked maturity, wa
merina rey
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Blimey, this book!
First let me say... this book put me in a three month reading slump😖 and as you know, if you follow my reviews, I cannot DNF a book. My extreme medically diagnosed OCD will not allow me too. I’ve never come so close to DNFing a book as i did this one. I literally made my husband read me the last 7 paged because I just couldn’t lol.

So, Merina, why not a 1 star rather than a 2? You ask.
Becauseeee the idea of it, is great.
Even the writing Wasn’t so much “bad” as it was mediocre
Alaina
Meh.
Not my favorite (so far) for this series. I really hope that the next book is way better.

Once Upon a Dream is a retelling of Sleeping Beauty. The beginning of this book definitely had potential. I liked how the there was this whole mystery as to why the prince fell asleep in the after kissing Aurora. Then the whole dream-like world was another interesting point. However, it definitely fell flat and was kind of dragging on and on.

Aurora, or Rose, was just meh in my eyes. She was completely b
Jennie Damron
May 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this more than I thought I would and that delights me. Sleeping Beauty is my favorite Disney princess movie. I think Liz Braswell paid homage to the true crux of the story nicely. I enjoyed the banter between Phillip and Aurora. Their relationship felt believable which is not an easy thing to do with the whole 'love at first sight' concept. What I loved the most is Liz got Maleficent right. Maleficent is my favorite villain. The sarcasm, evil, and yes pettiness were all on point. I am ...more
Amanda Hupe
Nov 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-reads
Sleeping Beauty is my favorite Disney princess movie. So obviously I had to read this book. Once Upon a Dream by Liz Braswell begins with the defeat of Maleficent. Prince Phillip goes to wake his princess with true loves first kiss. When their lips meet. Prince Phillip collapses and Aurora does not wake up. Little does Aurora know that she is trapped inside a dream world. Her parents are evil, Maleficent is Queen but treats Aurora like a niece. No one is allowed outside the castle and it is surr ...more
Elaina
May 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
So first off, I think my rating of 2 stars is being generous...I was tempted so many times to just dnf it (Which you know means I thought it was pretty bad if I'm considering not even finishing it lol because I always feel the need to read a book until the very end just in case it redeems itself :P lol) I definitely feel like this book wasn't worth my time though and I wouldn't really recommend it :/ I didn't care for the writing, didn't like the characters...I don't know, something just felt of ...more
Dianne
What a fabulous premise! What if the prince’s true love kiss never happened and he didn’t wake Sleeping Beauty? Would she remain trapped in her dreams and nightmares? What would her world be like if an evil fairy trapped her and kept her as a pampered princess in a world where nothing is real? How would Aurora feel to find out her life had been a lie, all because of a deal made when she was born? How would Aurora discover she is in a living nightmare and find the courage to find a way out, possi ...more
Cristina (My Tiny Obsessions)
Apr 02, 2016 rated it did not like it
DNF 32%

Read full review HERE

description

I hate to DNF books, and it’s something I very rarely do. And honestly, I did try, but ultimately I just couldn’t put myself through the rest of this story. I had a huge problem with the first book of the series, the spin on the Aladdin story, but because that story had a little more action, I felt it was more bearable.

Once again I had a big problem with the writing of this book. It has long descriptions, short and nonsensical dialogue and it sometimes tries to hard,
sophie.connects.the.dots (on hiatus)
There is a pain that comes from reading these books....

A death toll is always high.

It's the realistic side of fairytales.

But I don't always love it.

Aurora could be a bit mopey sometimes, but it's understandable--you see her life's perspective like never before, cringey as a few of her actions may be. Four stars because I really liked it, even if the characters could have had better reactive moments. But they're incredibly well-developed.

The plot arrives just on time and in startling ways. I
Shelleen Toland
I would have liked this more but it felt confusing on what was real and what was the dream world. Are they in the real world or not? It bounced back and forth so much. This is a retelling of Sleeping Beauty and I liked the whole mystery of the story.
Once Upon a Dream by Liz Braswell begins with the defeat of Maleficent. Prince Phillip goes to wake his princess, Aurora, with true loves first kiss. When thei Prince goes to kiss Aurora,. Prince Phillip collapses and Aurora does not wake up. Little
Heather (The Sassy Book Geek)
Originally Posted On The Sassy Book Geek

****Thank you to Disney Press and Netgalley for providing me with this ARC in exchange for an honest review****

DNF @ 35%

This was a huge disappointment for me I was very eager to read a twisted retelling of Disney’s Sleeping Beauty and what I got instead was a snoozefest. I usually never DNF books and I feel terrible for having to do it to an ARC but honestly no one should have to force their way through this book.

I should have known better than to attempt
lunisneptune
Apr 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
“It’s not bravery if you don’t feel fear, right? If you’re not afraid, then you’re not really forcing yourself to do something brave.”
― Liz Braswell, Once Upon a Dream

Growing up, Sleeping Beauty was one of my most favorite fairy tales. When I heard and saw that Liz Braswell was creating alternate versions of how the fairy tales could have happened, I was beyond excited and I want to read all of them.
I definitely did not expect this book to be one of my favorites but it is and I'm very happy tha
Ana Garza
Jul 27, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
I tried. I really did. I was bored and didn't connect to this at all. ...more
Rissa
Oct 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once upon a dream 3.75⭐️

Maleficent is the queen.
Auroras parents evil as they were are sentenced to live the rest of their pitiful lives in prison.
Aurora is still the princess still treated wonderfully but everything is different.

Mal is well the ruler and her magic brought the kingdom to their knees only to build the kingdom back up. Mal isnt evil per say but she is a different ruler.

Maleficent though isnt all nice and rainbows now. She traps Aurora in a sleep and sucked prince Phillip in wit
Callie *Fights Censorship*
The first one was so bad, I just can't imagine trying to dive into this one. ...more
Amélie Boucher
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: disney-books
This was much better than I expected! Review to come.
Jenn
I'm going to preface this by saying, I probably hated this so much because this is my favorite Disney movie so I hold everything in higher esteem. But to say I hated this with every fiber of my being would be putting it mildly.

After the disaster that was A Whole New World, I knew this was going to have issues. Once again, we have what sounds like an amazing idea but the execution was just not there. The writing was not up to par and the characters were bland.

What would have happened if Aurora n
Nicola
Jan 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I tore through this book in record timing as I really couldn’t put it down! I was in the mood for a little magical Disney adventure and I certainly got that... sleeping beauty is one of my favourite stories and I absolutely loved this spin on it and the authors story telling on such a well beloved tale.

The way Aurora Rose was written was great and it was lovely watching her character grow, work through her flaws and grow into an amazingly strong and sweet princess! And the romance between her a
Tina
Apr 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this story. As with A Whole New World I enjoyed all the character development. The original Disney story had all the characters as one dimensional so seeing them with some personality was great. I liked the Aurora in this story a lot better than the movie as once she escapes from the castle she decides to escape the dream and that in turn will save her remaining kingdom.

Ms. Braswell's idea to not have Aurora be in love with Phillip as soon as she meets him in the dream world was
Cindy  Dracula
May 21, 2016 rated it did not like it
DNF @ pg. 206. I tried SO HARD. I was ready to give up 80 pgs sooner but I thought, "It's a super easy read. Fluffy read. Just finish it." But it became such a chore that I gave up.

The tone of the story is all over the place. One moment it's a simple Disney feeling, talking to nature and shit then YOU COULD BE RAPED! *No actual rape occurs. One minute the tone is innocent, then dark, then mature, then ridiculous. Jeez.

The whole thing is predictable. I wanted to love this SO MUCH. Eh, maybe I'm
Meg
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
My thanks to Disney Book Group and Netgalley for the ARC.

This was somewhere between 2 and 2.5 stars. A marked improvement over A Whole New World, the first book in the A Twisted Tale series, but still lacking in several places - most notably the dialogue, which is at turns amateur and childish, and which is randomly inconsistent in emphasis - in one second WE'RE YELLING and then we're not EVEN THOUGH WE'RE STILL YELLING. I don't know, it just read oddly.

This book had a fascinating premise which
Rose
Initial reaction: Probably rating this between 2 and 2.5 stars overall. Full review to come. I read this (finally!) a bit late this year after intending to read more of the series much sooner than now. (A Whole New World disappointed me that much despite some moments that I liked.) With this, it's distinct enough from the movie/tale to distinguish itself, but it dragged so much with the pacing and the characters didn't feel as dimensional. I wanted to love it more than I actually did.

Full review
Liza Koppens
Aug 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To be honest. I didnt know what to expect. But I loved it! I think I even liked it more than the original story.

This book begins at the end of the movie, prince Phillip has slain the dragon, lais eyes on the beautifull princess he met once, and kisses her. Only to fall asleep himself.

Seeing how Aurora had to break herself free, and the way her dream world was described and made, I really liked it.

Yes she did need help, and yes she most defenatly had her flaws, but the way she acted, talked and
Songbird Bookworm
Personally I didn't enjoy this as much as I thought I would and if you thought this would be a sweet Disney tale you are also sorely mistaken.

What started off as a somewhat confusing alternative story, soon turned into a dark and almost troubling plot which had the potential of being great but in my opinion feel flat. With this reimagined look at Aurora, the fairies and Prince Philip you had the opportunity of seeing more into their characters than that in the original film however, I do feel t
Lousbookstuff
For my full review and thoughts on the story, characters and ending completely spoiler free please visit my blog here

So, here we have the 2nd book in a series of twisted Disney retellings.

I absolutely loved the first book in this series. I read A Whole New World (see my review for that here) last month and decided that eventually I wanted to read every book in the series because I am a massive Disney nut!

When I saw that the second in the series was this one, Sleeping Beauty, I actually put it o
Hayden
Well, that one was just as much of a hot mess as the others in this series. It's probably my favorite of the bunch, though (at least of those that I've read). Sadly, in addition to their messy (and sometimes frankly bizarre) plots, the first three books in this series all suffer from being 1) too long and 2) bogged down by a self-aware "fixing" of the oft-complained "flaws" of their princesses.

Also, the endings to these are always kind of depressing and just...not satisfying at all. I love the i
Merie Shen
Phillip was the best. I liked Aurora at the beginning but then she fell out of favor near the end... Ms. Braswell's writing style is great, but not as great as it was in Straight On 'Till Morning. And the violence was a bit... much! ...more
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Wrong number of pages 4 20 Mar 22, 2019 07:11AM
Goodreads Librari...: Liz Braswell's Once Upon a Dream - Incorrect Page Count 2 15 May 28, 2016 01:35AM

• Reflection (A Twisted Tale: Mulan)
  • Mirror, Mirror (A Twisted Tale: Snow White)
  • Conceal, Don't Feel (A Twisted Tale: Frozen)
  • So This is Love (A Twisted Tale: Cinderella)
  • Poor Unfortunate Soul (Villains, #3)
  • Fairest of All (Villains, #1)
  • The Odd Sisters (Villains, #6)
  • Mistress of All Evil (Villains, #4)
  • Mother Knows Best (Villains, #5)
  • Evil Thing (Villains, #7)
  • The Beast Within (Villains, #2)
  • Cursed (Fairy Tale Reform School, #6)
  • Beauty and the Beast: Lost in a Book
  • Wished (Fairy Tale Reform School, #5)
  • Disney Frozen: A Frozen Heart
  • Disney Classics 101 Dalmatians: Evil Thing (Villain Tales)
  • Rebel Rose (The Queen's Council, #1)
After the sort of introverted childhood you would expect from a writer, Liz earned a degree in Egyptology at Brown University and then promptly spent the next ten years producing video games. Finally she caved into fate and wrote Snow and Rx under the name Tracy Lynn, followed by The Nine Lives of Chloe King series under her real name, because by then the assassins hunting her were all dead. She a ...more