Start by marking “Waylon! One Awesome Thing (Waylon! Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Waylon! One Awesome Thing (Waylon! Book 1)

Waylon! One Awesome Thing

(Waylon!)

Waylon has lots of ideas for making life more awesome through science, like teleportation, human gills, and attracting cupcakes by controlling gravity. But it's impossible for him to concentrate on his inventions when he's experiencing his own personal Big Bang.

Published April 5th 2016 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Waylon! One Awesome Thing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Waylon! One Awesome Thing

Start your review of Waylon! One Awesome Thing (Waylon! Book 1)
Kathryn
Apr 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Meet Waylon: his school’s Most “Scientiest” Kid.

Waylon is filled with ideas for making life better through science. Teleportation, human gills, and a pretty rockin’ cupcake delivery service where you manipulate gravity, so cupcakes come directly to you. Bonus: you never have to leave the couch. Science enabled laziness? SIGN ME UP.

However, It’s impossible for poor Waylon to concentrate on his scientific advancements when everything in his life is spontaneously combusting. Arlo Brody, the
Meagan
Apr 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was so sad when I heard that Sara Pennypacker had written her last Clementine book, but I would have felt so much better if I had known that Waylon was on the way. Clementine fans will be thrilled to note that Clementine makes a couple of cameos, and observant ones will already be a little familiar with science whiz Waylon, who appeared in earlier books as one of Clementine's classmates.

What I love about this book is that Waylon is like the little boys who are in my life, but who I don't
Susan  Dunn
Apr 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: j-fiction
Clementine's classmate Waylon, "the scienciest kid in the whole school" becomes the protagonist in this sweet and funny story of 4th grade friends and enemies and scientific (and personal) discoveries. Waylon is worried - Arlo, the most popular kid in school - is forming a team, and he isn't sure if he wants Waylon to be on it. But if Waylon isn't chosen for the Shark-Punchers (!) then he'll have to be on The Others. But what if they don't want him either? Lots of kids think he's weird because ...more
Becky
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First sentence: Waylon craned his neck. "Moon at the nearest point in its orbit--check. Clouds--check. But Joe, I'm telling you--"

Premise/plot: Waylon is in fourth grade, and it's complicated. Most of the time, he's happy to just be--to be himself, to be excited about anything and everything connected to science and nature. But some of the time, well, he starts to imagine how he appears to others. "As though he was outside his body watching himself. Not extraterrestrial others. Extraterrestrials
Cheryl
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Imo doesn't have quite the same magic as the Clementine books, but still pretty awesome for kids 1st-4th grade. I want to read the novelization of the movie that the father wrote, *Lonelyville.* A terrific family read-aloud, as you'll laugh together and have things to talk about, for example Living Statues, Neon, Arlo, Baxter, and Dumpster Eddy. Nothing too intense, but def. less 'sugar and spice' and more 'snips and snails.' Don't get me wrong, though, it's still very sweet and warm.

Shout out
Susan Morris
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Really fun story of a 4th grade boy who is struggling to fit in with his classmates, & is a science geek. This would make a great read aloud for elementary classes! (Library)
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary | "Empathy" - Look it up.
Waylon! One Awesome Thing has the mark of highest approval both from I and the mini-reviewer, Miss L. It is a very well-written book that tackles big issues for kids, addressing their need for individuality but the urge to also fit in, as well as the feelings of loneliness and sadness when things aren’t going right and everything seems beyond your control. I loved that it emphasized that it was okay to cry or to blush or experience feelings in general. That they are perfectly natural human ...more
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Mar 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Waylon is described as "the scienciest kid in the whole school". He questions whether he can invent something to counteract gravity, and puts together a project for safety of the community using this idea. He has so many ideas that he needs to buy a journal to keep track of them. Unfortunately, everything is not going as planned for Waylon.

Fourth grader Waylon is a member of a class where the boys have been divided into two opposing teams by Arlo, the undisputed "King of Fourth Grade". Waylon is
Misti
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
For Waylon, fourth grade is shaping up to be, well, less than awesome. It all started when Arlo, the undisputed king of the fourth-grade boys, decided to divide the boys up into teams. At first, Arlo said he wanted Waylon on his team, but now he seems to have changed his mind. What if Arlo doesn't put Waylon on either team? Also, Baxter Boylin, troublemaker extraordinaire, has returned to school. What if Arlo puts Waylon and Baxter on a team by themselves? Waylon has always loved science facts ...more
Amy-Jo Conant
Jul 01, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a very good book to complement the Clementine series. This series will be perfect for grades 2, 3, and 4. I don't believe it would have a large following beyond 4th grade and perhaps even grades 2 and 3 would be best. However, now that I am thinking about it the vocabulary used by Waylon can be pretty extensive. He is incredibly into science and inventions which I love about his character, but it does mean some big vocabulary.

Overall, a solid read. Students who like school stories and
DaNae
Never fear those mourning the end of CLEMENTINE. WAYLON continues the tradition of elegant plotting, engaging and genuine characters, giggle worthy situations, and that superb emotional attachment that is the Pennypacker signature.
Samantha
Aug 26, 2016 rated it liked it
This book was pretty cute! I am not very familiar with Clementine, but you don't need to be to enjoy this book. Waylon is a great character. He's quiet, thoughtful, mostly kind and not sporty. He just is himself. Also, the drama felt so quietly real.
Brenda
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
I like Waylon! I admire how he tries to remain true to himself despite the pressures of his "cool" classmates. I appreciate his questions of loyalty and friendship, along with his commitment to science, true facts, understanding and family. I can't wait to read more of him.
Erika
Aug 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-and-youth, 2016
This is a fun book that teaches about working together as well as not judging people before knowing them. I like the idea of noticing One Awesome Thing each day. I will read this to my grade 4 class and see if we can have a daily OAT to share.
Bethe
Apr 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
bookaday #42. I've found a new book boyfriend - if he was 40 years older, of course! Scienciest with loads of heart, deep thinker and loves dogs!
Christy
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it

Arlo Brody is dividing the fourth grade boys into two groups. Waylon would rather be friends with everyone. Well, everyone except the scary new kid, Baxter Boylen.

Waylon's older sister, Neon, is shooting away from the family. He wishes
Shelley Fearn
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sara Pennypacker, of Clementine fame, has begun a new series featuring Waylon, a kindhearted science lover. He is on a mission to save Dumpster Eddy, a stray dog who is in and out of the local animal shelter. Although neither Waylon nor his friend, Baxter, can have a dog at home, the boys are on a mission to spring Eddy one last time from the shelter and keep him off the street. Full of humor and featuring a multidimensional character, this is a book that will appeal to early chapter book ...more
Jen
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Waylon is such a science geek that he comes up with radical, awesome solutions for just about any problem he has. Unfortunately, he can’t seem to solve the problem of popular boy Arlo Brody separating the entire fourth grade into groups, or factions. Waylon just wants to be friends with everyone!
Just like gravity, when things look their worst and hit bottom, everything starts going up and Waylon inadvertently comes up with the perfect solution to bring everyone together!
This sweet title will
C.
This is such a cute series. We read them backwards because we got Book 2 as an ARC from the publisher and read it about a year ago, but finally got back to reading this book, and it's super fun. My 7yo also enjoyed it, and its been our bedtime read for the past few weeks. At one point he decided he didn't want to be done and I had to read two chapters on my own because he'd read them to himself after I left the room! But those are the best stories, and definitely recommend this series to early ...more
Nicole
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those who appreciate a positive message but don't want to be beat over the head with it
Shelves: middle-grade
Sara Pennypacker is one of the most delightfully consistent middle grade writers. You always know what to expect. Namely, a quirky protagonist with a character trait that (endearingly) hampers them in social situations, a slightly over-reaching vocabulary, and plenty of situational irony

I enjoyed Waylon and picked this as a read aloud for my own class of socially hampered third graders. They are enjoying Waylon as a character (which I admit surprised me) and are taking his issues on as their
Jeannie
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-36
Things seem to change from 3rd grade to fourth grade in school and in family. Waylon is learning to navigate 4th grade. He is much more self-aware, realizing that even when he knows the answer sometimes it is better not to look so smart. It is not cool. does he want to stay with the old friends or look at new relationships.
Speaking of cool, his older sister, Neon, is having issues of self-awareness as well.
Dealing with change is difficult, but you can't go back so you must figure out how to go
I really enjoyed this book, which is about a boy in Clementine's class (Clementine from the series of books by that name). This book touches on some good lessons for kids: (including others, not judging people by first impressions) but does so without being at all heavy-handed or preachy. Waylon is a believable character and the story is amusing and well-told. This book would be a fun one to read aloud to a group or class because it has enough action and humor to keep it interesting and also has ...more
Ames Public Library Youth Services
Pennypacker has again shown that she understands the social and emotional lives of kids! Waylon, an excellent scientist, is one of the other students in Clementine's class and I loved getting to know him more.

Waylon has some problems at school, that end up having a very satisfying conclusion, as well as at home. His parents and sister were especially wonderful to meet, from his dad who writes screenplays and works as a living statue on the weekends, to his older sister, who has become a teen
Oct 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: obob, read-in-2018
OBOB 2019, book 13. Waylon is a neighbor and classmate of Clementine, Pennypacker’s Ramona-esque character featured in many novels. I think it’s genius to provide a male counterpart to a successful female protagonist series. I’m surprised more authors don’t do this. I liked Waylon and his adventures, and can see how his series could be very appealing to elementary and middle school boys. My favorite parts of the book were the interactions Waylon had with his sister. Overall, the book didn’t ...more
Miss Sarah
Jul 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Waylon a science loving kid is finding fourth grade a little tough. The class is dividing boys into teams and he isn't on one. Will he community project be enough to get him onto a team? And what about the new troublemaker ins school and his sister recent name change? Middle elementary and up
Amanda Harrison
So many books recently have featured super science-y kids that I was kind of tired of the trope, but not all books include a feud between two groups of fourth graders, a boy with a uncanny connection to a jail (or is it?) and a Ben Franklin statue costume. Well worth the time and would be a fun read-aloud. Offers some good connections for talking about friendship and school community.
Catherine Woodman
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Waylon is a very nerdy second grader who has an endearing lack of insight into what makes the teacher happy, and while he sees his ideas and endeavors as firmly grounded in reality, nobody else does. He is the kind of kid who could invent a way to reverse climate change but who sticks out like a sore thumb as a young boy.
Rob
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
By the Pennypacker who brought you Clemetine, comes a good book that really makes you want to re-read the Clementine titles.
Waylon's a good enough kid. Likes his facts and 1st world problems. I enjoyed it, and it's full of great quotable one-liners that make for a nice life, but sometimes it's hard to buy the nice little bow that wraps everything together. Still a warm-hearted read.
stillme
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Maybe I loved this because Waylon and his sister Charlotte/Neon remind me so much of my own children. Or maybe I loved it because I love just about everything Pennypacker writes, and Frazee is in my top 10 illustrators. But also this just perfectly captures those school kid politics and how hard it is for the kids who don't (or don't want to) slot themselves into a specific clique.
Yvonne Stewart
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
I've actually not fully read a Clementine book yet but it's not necessary to enjoy it. Pennypacker manages to weave several real life conflicts and dilemmas into the plot. I like the message that it's fine to be a geek and a nice guy at the same time. Also, don't judge a book by its cover is another classic lesson. Encourage all the elementary boys and girls to read this one.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• A Whole New Ballgame (Rip and Red, #1)
  • Pip Bartlett's Guide to Magical Creatures (Pip Bartlett, #1)
  • In the Footsteps of Crazy Horse
  • The Infinity Year of Avalon James
  • Nightbird
  • When the Sea Turned to Silver
  • The Mad Wolf's Daughter (Mad Wolf's Daughter #1)
  • A Boy Called Bat (A Boy Called Bat, #1)
  • Ugly
  • Power Forward
  • The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom (The League of Princes, #1)
  • The Memory of Forgotten Things
  • Wish
  • Out of Left Field
  • Hana's Suitcase: A True Story
  • Just Dance
  • Paper Wishes
  • Book Scavenger (Book Scavenger, #1)

Waylon! (5 books)
  • Waylon! Even More Awesome (Waylon! Book 2)
  • Waylon! The Most Awesome of All (Waylon! Book 3)
  • Waylon (2 Book Series)