Start by marking “How I Married a Marquess (The Secret Life of Scoundrels, #3)” as Want to Read:
How I Married a Marquess (The Secret Life of Scoundrels, #3)

How I Married a Marquess

(The Secret Life of Scoundrels #3)

A SHOCKING DECEPTION . . .
Josephine Carlisle, adopted daughter of a baron, is officially on the shelf. But the silly, marriage-minded misses in the ton can have their frilly dresses and their seasons in London, for all she cares. Josie has her freedom and her family . . . until an encounter with a dark, devilishly handsome stranger leaves her utterly breathless at a house
Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Published April 26th 2016 by Forever

To ask other readers questions about How I Married a Marquess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How I Married a Marquess

Caz
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
I've given this a D+ at AAR.

This is the third book in Anna Harrington’s Secret Life of Scoundrels trilogy which follows three men who served together during the Napoleonic Wars as they find love and a happily ever after. I reviewed the previous book, Along Came a Rogue, and while I had some issues with the pacing and certain aspects of the plot, I enjoyed it overall and felt that the two leads shared a strong emotional connection. I was therefore eager to read the final book in the series, but
Sissy's Romance Book Review
'How I Married a Marquess ' by Anna Harrington is book three in the "The Secret Life of Scoundrels" series. This is the story of Josephine Carlisle and Thomas Matteson, Marquess of Chesney.
Thomas had a series bullet injury that almost too his life. Thomas still hasn't really got over it emotionally yet and hasn't been able to go by to his career of spying/Espionage. Thomas seems to get panic attacks once in a while. When a chance comes up for him to go to a house party to try and find a highway
1-Click Addict Support Group
May 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book had so many elements to love!

First, Thomas was a spy, forced into retirement by an injury that left him with rather severe PTSD. He finds himself investigating a highwayman, which takes him into close proximity with the ever intriguing Josie. I love a good historical that has a little flirtation in the beginning, and a little bit of, ‘Oh, it won't work between the characters’. I find myself skimming pages when it drags on too long however, and this one knew just when to stop.

The enti
Arshia
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
Ummm where do I begin?! The book started off promising but then I just started hating Thomas. He was such an ass! So selfish and he really had no reason for it. I mean yeah there was a reason but it wasn't enough. So this douche bag keeps molesting the heroine but he knows he can't marry her for some bullshit reason.

Alright so he meets the heroine, Josephine, and immediately starts hitting on her, the next time he meets her he kisses her, so on and so forth... What irritated me is his selfishne
Adria's Musings and Reviews
Feb 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Originally posted on Adria's Romance Reviews

* A copy of this book was provided by the publisher via NetGalley for the purpose of an honest review.

As the adopted daughter of a baron, Josephine Carlisle has everything a woman could need yet she still feels out of place and unwelcome in her family’s world. Now that she’s considered “On the Shelf” Josie feels more relaxed and free until one night at a house party she meets the Marquess of Chesney.

As a former spy Thomas Matteson is used to finding ou
Al *the semi serial series skipper*
I just can't say i enjoyed the content of this book. It was self-pity and insta-lust contained in one long story, there was nothing of substance in this book. Yet they fell in love after a couple of days. Not her best work.
Melody  May (What I'm Reading)
Apr 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, arc, historical
Posted on What I'm Reading

Talk about it being totally unproductive day. How I Married A Marquess sucked me into the story. I couldn't stop reading once I started. I kept telling myself one more chapter, and I need to do something else. However, I kept telling myself this lie, and by the time I was close to finishing it I said "What the heck, why stop now?" Basically it was crack for readers, I loved every moment of this story. Anna basically grabs your attention with the first chapter and she do
Phoenix77
Nov 15, 2015 rated it liked it
From the book description of How I Married a Marquess I should have enjoyed this story much more than I did. All of the elements I expected were there; a strong heroine seeking justice for the unfortunate, a hero trying to reorder his life after a devastating injury and love bringing the two of them together against a common enemy. As a whole the book was good, with a fast pace that made it a quick read; however when I look closer at the story I can see the small flaws that kept me from rating i ...more
Amanda
With its ginger(ish) highwaywoman heroine, I thought How I Married a Marquess had catnip written all over it. Unfortunately, the premise did not live up to my high expectations. This book was a huge disappointment.

Highwaywoman persona aside, Josie was quite flat as a character and very foolish in her choices. I mean, I understood some of her motivations to an extent, but there were times when she made me want to slam my head into a wall. I did like Thomas and I thought the portrayal of his anxie
Sha
May 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned
DNF

I've been trying to read this book for a while now, and once I figured out I wasn't anywhere near interested enough to read it properly I spent a lot of time dithering around before I read through enough of it to leave a reasonably articulate review. I have a TBR list that can span the equator, goddamit I do not have the time for this.

And yet, here we are. Because if I don't do this review at some time in the future I'm possibly end up with this book again and will have to live through the sa
WTF Are You Reading?
How I Married A Marquess offers Historical Romance fans so much more than the "marriage market" scheming and seductions, beddings, and weddings that are hallmarks of its genre.
Here, readers are presented in the character of Miss Josephine Carlisle, a woman who, by no fault of her own has been excluded from the one thing that her beauty, intelligence, grace, charm, and societal position as the daughter of a Baron, should have guaranteed her.
A marriage to a peer of the realm.
Her crime?
Having been
Connie Fischer
Oct 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Chatham House, Mayfair London - 1817

Thomas Matteson, Lord Chesney, Marquess of Chesney, has been staying at Chatham House while his parents are at their other home. Thomas sustained a bullet wound to his hip a year ago which took a long time to heal. Even with his background as an operative for the War Office, his injury has left him with panic attacks and the inability to sleep well. But when he receives a missive from Earl Bathurst, the Secretary of State for War and the Colonies, saying that
Fangirl Musings
DOWN AND DIRTY QUICKIE REVIEW!

One Sentence Summary:

She’s a child-support collecting Robin Hood & he’s a fired spy with PTSD who's gotta catch her booty.

What part made you fangirl squeal:

OMG!!! When our gal used her boobs to save the day!? IF THAT AIN’T THE QUICKEST QUICK THINKING IN THE HISTORY OF BRAINS AND BOOBS!

Favorite Character:

Duh! Josie! Come on, a skilled-ass thief who steals so little kids can eat? Her wit, her spunk, her smart mouth? I CAN’T EVEN!

How smexy was the smex?

SOMEBODY GET
Stephanie
Oct 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
She could have written a female character who became a spy. Instead she didn't and it was boring and I'm done with romance novels forever. What a waste of paper.
Rose Blue
May 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

Thomas Matteson's life has been a nightmare for the last year, ever since he was shot and almost killed, apparently in a random robbery. All he wants is to have his life back and to continue his spying in service to the crown. Aside from being unable to sleep, and easily startled, his other abilities seem to have gone by the wayside, and his former contacts refuse to have him back. When a family friend gives him an opportunity to prove himself by capturing an elusive highwayman, Thomas
Anna's Herding Cats

Reviewed for herding cats & burning soup.
Amazon: http://amzn.to/1Z8Nivp

Anna Harrington has me totally smitten. She's a breath of fresh air to the historical romance genre and has me clamoring for more. How I Married A Marquess...unique, action packed and enchanting.

The quick of it is that Thomas is a rather broken ex-spy. He was injured a year ago and just hasn't recovered his steady hand. But he's determined to make his way back and prove to the War Office he's fit for duty again and to do
nick
Apr 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult, arc, historical

How I Married a Marquess was an impulse request for me. One of my reading goals this year is to expand my historical romance horizons by trying out more authors and one of my picks was this book. The summary made it seem like it had all the elements I enjoy in a good historical romance, but there were just some things that made the book pale in comparison to some of the other excellent novels I've read in the genre.

Let me get the negatives out of the way. My biggest issue with How I Married a Ma
Heather andrews
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Thomas is always willing to prove things to woman, “oh, it happened.” He placed a kiss on her bare shoulder, then gave an animal-like growl. “But I can prove it to you again if you’d like.” With a soft laugh, she playfully swatted him away." Thomas is a very attentive man when it comes to his woman, “we’ll probably want to see each other well when we do it.” He voice lowered to a seductive growl. “And I certainly want to see you.” I enjoyed this book Thomas loved Jo's hard-headiness and No loved ...more
Elaine
Aug 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: regency
I love how Anna Harrington writes. For me, her novels are fun to read, well written, lovely storylines, and this is why I just fall into them from the beginning. This is such a wonderful story.
I've loved reading this trilogy and am looking forward to her next book in a new trilogy!
5*****
Jen
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This. Book. Was. SO GOOD. I truly couldn't put it down, even in the midst of a family vacation with kids running around everywhere. I highly recommend.
Aly
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
An incredibly observant but jaded marquess, the clever but reckless adopted daughter of a baron, instant attraction and a lovely but dangerous game of cat and mouse.

Hired by a friend of the family to find the highwayman who steals from him and his guests, it's the last chance for former spy Thomas Matteson to prove he recovered from the incident that almost cost him his life one year ago.

At a house party at the Earl's country estate where he will begin his search, his eyes meet Josephine Carli
Romancing the Book
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed by Colantha
Book provided by NetGalley

I  love  it when I pick a book and discover that I can't put it down. I'm always discovering new authors, especially when I find a series and start from the middle or end and have to order the others because I'm so hooked. With this third book of The Secret Life of Scoundrels series, I now have to order the others because this book definitely hooked me. This is why I give it a five, because it had really great characters, storytelling and the romance
Gail
Nice story about a guy with PTSD, and his determination to get his job back so he can get his life back and recover from the shakes. His old job was as a spy, and he's invited by a family friend to go north and catch a highwayman so he can get a recommendation for his old boss. There he meets the heroine who is the adopted daughter of neighbors of his host.The heroine intrigues him from the first moment he meets her. She's intrigued by him too, but she's also determined to help the orphans at th ...more
Mary R. Soto
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was hooked with this book since the first chapter, I must say.
I love them tall, dark and handsome, just like our hero and spy.
I loved the story. I enjoyed the reading and the drama was on point.
Those love scenes were amazing and beautiful.

[image error]

Now, let's talk about the plot, shall we?
What the devil was wrong with those aristocratics assholes and the orphans?
I hated it. I cried my eyes out, for f*cks' sake. Those poor babies.
Thank God for that epilogue... Clara is an angel ♥

so... obviou
Mischa
Dec 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
I probably liked this one the best in the series. However, there still were some things that just seemed too weird to me.

For example, the main heroine claiming for most of the book how she will not succumb to any man's charms etc. etc., the hero included, and then suddenly it's just "oh well, he's the best one to lose my virginity to". Plus, it once again didn't completely scream "historical romance" at me.

However, it was once again a really nice and relaxing read, which I did enjoy. And despit
Cat
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Jenny
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this book in a day so I guess you can say I liked it! Josie isn’t my favorite heroine but she isn’t rude or annoying. I found the chemistry between the two main characters to be hot and steamy.. the best kind in a romance! I would have liked to see more of Josie’s relationship with her brothers. There was a great potential for some comic relief with her three older and over protective brothers that the author could have played upon more.

I would say Anna Harrington is a new author on my m
Kindle Reads
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice end of series, or standalone. Prolonged emotional end

Rapidly paced attraction and intrigue. Suspense led to questions of trust, emotional intuition, & if one wants what they think. The wrap up of the villian was engrossing as well.
Since it last of series Thomas' friends help out. (Still good standalone). Of course epilogue had nice snapshot of future. End was a bit sappier than I care for, but it was great HEA.
June
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Secret Life of Scoundrels fans
Thomas has not been the same since being shot and nearly dying. However, he wants his life back more than anything. A family friend offers him a chance to salvage his reputation by catching the highwayman that has been plaguing him for two years.

Josephine Carlisle is an adopted orphan who has secrets she's hiding and finds herself attracting Thomas' attention.

Fun if you can suspend disbelief.
Molly
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love Anna Harrington and I can't wait to see what she writes in the future.
This book is about Josephine Carlisle, the adopted daughter of a baron, who is on the shelf. All she wants is her freedom until an encounter a stranger Thomas Matteson, Marquess of Chesney's, he needs to find the criminal who's been robbing London's rich and powerful. I loved this book and loved the whole series.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Beauty and the Rake  (The Rookery Rogues, #3)
  • Scoring With the Wrong Twin (WAGS, #1)
  • Luck Is No Lady (Fallen Ladies, #1)
  • When Tempting a Rogue (Victorian Soap Opera, #3)
  • Love Will Always Remember (Shades of Love, #3)
  • What a Rogue Desires (Reece Family Trilogy, #2)
  • Let It Be Me (The Blue Raven, #5)
  • Song For Sophia (Rougemont, #1)
  • Unmasked by the Marquess (Regency Imposters, #1)
  • Wanna Bet? (Dirty British Romance, #2)
  • I've Got My Duke to Keep Me Warm (The Lords of Worth, #1)
  • How to Lose an Extraterrestrial in 10 Days (Otherworldly Men, #3)
  • A Perfect Scoundrel
  • It Stings So Sweet
  • Season for Surrender (Holiday Pleasures, #2)
  • Almost a Scandal (The Reckless Brides, #1)
  • The Lotus Palace (The Pingkang Li Mysteries, #1)
  • Sweet Disorder (Lively St. Lemeston Book 1)
I fell in love with historical romances and all things Regency—and especially all those dashing Regency heroes—while living in England, where I spent most of my time studying the Romantic poets, reading Jane Austen, and getting lost all over the English countryside.

When I read my first Regency romance in 2012, I was hooked and longed to create my own independent and spirited heroines and dashing h

The Secret Life of Scoundrels (4 books)
  • Dukes Are Forever (The Secret Life of Scoundrels, #1)
  • Along Came a Rogue (The Secret Life of Scoundrels, #2)
  • Once a Scoundrel (The Secret Life of Scoundrels, #4)