Start by marking “See America: A Celebration of Our National Parks & Treasured Sites” as Want to Read:
See America: A Celebration of Our National Parks & Treasured Sites

See America: A Celebration of Our National Parks & Treasured Sites

To coincide with the 2016 centennial anniversary of the National Parks Service, the Creative Action Network has partnered with the National Parks Conservation Association to revive and reimagine the legacy of WPA travel posters. Artists from all over the world have participated in the creation of this new, crowdsourced collection of See America posters for a modern era. Fe ...more
Published March 22nd 2016 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about See America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about See America

Start your review of See America: A Celebration of Our National Parks & Treasured Sites
Hans
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book collects a representative sample of works from an art project marking 100 years of the National Park system. Individuals could submit art representations of all the parks and historic sites. This book was on my shelf for a number of years. I felt a call to spend some time with this celebration of our national treasures during the time that many of them were being irreparably harmed thanks to a failed political stunt (when a visionless conman shut down the government). These are our tre ...more
Elaine
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
The pictures in this book do not make me want to go anywhere! I have a hard time believing all of the high reviews.
Steve
Sep 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Graphic illustrations of 75 US National Parks, Monuments, etc, by various illustrators through the Creative Action Network. Nice browsing book. My problem is the text to each of the sites covered is only a few sentences, and uses up less than half of the descriptive page. Could have given us more. Also, the illustrators bios are alpha by first name - ????? And 2 of them, done by what appears to be artist cooperatives, are not included in the bios.

Some of the illustrations are great, some are "m
Jun 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely beautiful book that celebrates our national parks, art, and the historical connection between them, specifically through Roosevelt’s Work Projects Administration during the Great Depression. The little blurbs with each poster give the reader just enough info to inspire heading out to “see America.” After reading this, I definitely have some new places to add to my travel list. Plus it was fun to see how many places I’d already seen (13... though it would have been 16 if COVID-19 ha ...more
Amanda
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book because I had fallen in love with the See America postcards I'd collected while visiting National Parks.
The book contains a collection of poster designs for 75 National Parks and landmarks from our great American landscape, and a brief history on each. I'm a big fan of these designs and the story behind them.
Always something beautiful to see inside, reminding me of places we've been, and inspiring me with places we should visit next.
Jess
Mar 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: z_2019, non-fiction
A little coffee table book that's fun to flip through. The passages on each National Park are short with an interesting fact or two; that's a good move in this sort of book. The drawn illustrations are postcard-like and done well...but mostly I kept wanting to grab my computer to look up photos of the parks.
Jena
Oct 23, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a pretty book - inspirational and I'd love to have the artwork. However it's lite on actual content. I would have appreciated something more substantial.
Liz Goble
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have always loved the original See America posters. This collection of new See America posters were well done.
Victoria Garaitonandia
Jun 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book was concise and aesthetically pleasing. It’s like reading a book of postcards of the national parks in USA.
Evan
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Reading part is short blurbs about the parks but very cool art done in 1930's new deal poster style, makes me want to get to some of the Parks I haven't been too.
Jutta
Apr 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wish there was more text to add to the beautiful illustrations!
Justin Wachsmith
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A must-have for any fan of national parks, open spaces and beautiful things! It’s been a perfect coffee table book for our living room, and our friends love flipping through all of the posters and stories of the different parks. It serves as an important reminder of how uniquely gorgeous and diverse our country really is.
Libby
Jan 30, 2019 added it
Amy
The illustrations for each park are gorgeous, but I would have preferred a bit more information about the parks themselves (with only a couple of exceptions, there 3-4 sentences dedicated to describing each park). Also, I was a tad annoyed that the book didn't have all the parks; a few of the east coast parks were left out completely.
Heather
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful!

My only complaint is that this featured background and art for only 75 parks. If afterword is any indication, there are 1000 artists works who have been rendered as part of this public art project. Would love to see the others.
Matthew
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Not really a book you "read". This book has a page for each national park or monument with a description of it accompanied by a piece of artwork commissioned from the Creative Action Network. Worth an afternoon perusal, but I wouldn't buy it. Check it out from your library.
Arianna
Aug 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art, non-fiction
I want to visit every place showcased in this book. With the exception of one glaring typo, this is excellent light, inspirational reading. Next on my list is to check out the Creative Action Network website.
Allan
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
A quick read that gives an overview of a national parks poster project inspired by work project posters of the last century. I have since learned the posters these new ones inspired are quite the collectibles these days. Everyone check their garages and attics!
Irene McHugh
For my full review that includes several pictures from this disappointing book, please visit my blog at

Elaine Pasky
May 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
I liked the book. I wish the print was larger and that there was an index by states.
Anne
Aug 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art-photography
Road trip!
Lesley
Sep 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
Definitely stoked my wanderlust! Beautiful crowdsourced illustrations, but I wanted further information on each park than the glimpses they provided in a few sentences.
Allison
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Lost Coast
  • Contagion
  • Fantastic Four: True Story
  • The Mad World of Sign Language: Adventures in Unfortunate English from the Readers of The Telegraph
  • How to Become a Federal Criminal: An Illustrated Handbook for the Aspiring Offender
  • And Then You're Dead: What Really Happens If You Get Swallowed by a Whale, Are Shot from a Cannon, or Go Barreling Over Niagara
  • Deadpool vs. Old Man Logan
  • Scotch & Toilet Water?: A Book of Dog Cartoons
  • State of the Union: A Marriage in Ten Parts
  • The Jade Lily
  • Spider-Man: Spider-Verse - Fearsome Foes
A global community of artists and designers making art with purpose.