Start by marking “Flora and the Peacocks” as Want to Read:
Flora and the Peacocks

Flora and the Peacocks

(Flora)

The darling, dancing Flora is back, and this time she's found two new friends: a pair of peacocks! But amidst the fanning feathers and mirrored movements, Flora realizes that the push and pull between three friends can be a delicate dance. Will this trio find a way to get back in step? In the third book featuring Flora and her feathered friends, Molly Idle's gorgeous art c ...more
Published May 3rd 2016 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Flora and the Peacocks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flora and the Peacocks

Start your review of Flora and the Peacocks
Calista
Even though this book does not have words it still tells a story of flora and her fan dance with a couple of peacocks. Even children can see the play between the peacocks and flora and can understand jealousy and other emotions.

The art work her is stunning and beautiful. I love the peacock feathers. It is a simple story told with fold outs. The wonder is in the simplicity. Observing my kids, children can really appreciate simplicity, from hours of play with a card board box to a story of a girl
Cheryl
Aug 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
I feel like I must be missing something. The images under the flaps are simple and mostly repetitive. The plot could be told completely in one sentence. The art is fine, though probably better appreciated by dancers and artists than by regular folks like me. I see no characterization. No setting - just white space. Slow pace....

(I'm going through 'elements of a story' and just not finding anything really good to say.)

My first Flora and probably my last. Not every book is for every reader. :shru
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
I love Molly's previous Flora books but this one is probably my favorite. Beautifully done.
David Schaafsma
Each year I and my family read and rate all the Goodreads picture book nominees. This one is nominated for 2016. I make a few comments and then add their separate ratings and a comment. There's 15 and this is the fifth being rated. My rating might be somewhat influenced by the family, naturally. In this case, it was influenced a lot.

Silent/wordless book, the third Flora book in a series, and my favorite, which is to say 4 stars, with sumptuous, crisp, vibrant colors and an okay story of three fr
☼Professional Thorn☼

Wordless!

I love wordless picture books. My kids and I always had fun with them. We'd make up stories based on the images and usually ended up laughing and giggling because, by nature, we're pretty silly.

Silliness aside, the serious part of my mom-being -- the side that relishes edu-tainment-- appreciates that this act of shared creation teaches kids a good deal about the power of words, sentences and composing. It's a unique opportunity for reinventing a world. You only have to focus on differen
Kaethe Douglas
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I will never tire of these beautiful, clever books. Fortunately, there are many, many birds. Now I've amused myself with the idea of a parody book "Flora and the Birds" by Alfred Hitchcock. Which leads to the recognition that no one names their child Alfred anymore, and that's how I know the world is becoming a better place.

Molly Idle: making the world a better place by random association and gorgeous books.

Library copy
Mary Ann
Flora dances with two elegant, proud peacocks in this wordless picture book--navigating a balance between friendship with three. When one peacock starts dancing with her, the other feels left out--sound familiar? The illustrations depict the full range of emotions, letting children tell the story in their own words.
Jillian Heise
Love! I adore each of Molly Idle's wordless Flora stories, and as much as I loved Flamingo and Penguin, I think Peacocks is my favorite. Flora had a bit more of a story in this one with the two peacocks she interacts with.
Holly Mueller
How does Molly Idle keep doing this?! Another wonderful Flora book!
Franki Sibberson
Mar 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, wordless
This might be my favorite of the 3 Flora books:-)
Mary
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classroom-reads
Wordless book continuing Flora's beautiful dances with birds.
KC
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Flora squares off with two rival peacocks in a dance that resembles a flamenco. This stunning flip the page no text beauty is charming with a lovely message.
Abigail
Oct 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Wordless Picture-Books / Anyone Who Enjoyed the First Two Flora Books
That charming young dancer Flora, whose adventures began in the Caldecott Honor-Book Flora and the Flamingo and then continued in Flora and the Penguin , once again finds herself dancing with some avian partners in this third picture-book. Here she finds herself performing a fan dance with a pair of peacocks who have trouble sharing her as a partner. When she dances with one, the other sulks. When she approaches the other, her initial partner is outraged. When the peacocks' tug-of-war wit ...more
Lulwah A
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It was an amazing adventure 🥰
Mary
Molly Idle has three Flora books: Flora and the Penguin, Flora and the Flamingo, and, finally, this beautifully illustrated book with interactive flaps. Each Flora book is wordless, which allows readers to make up their own stories, using the colorful pictures to guide young imaginations. This is my first Flora book and it's pretty as a peacock. Once again, I purchased this adorable picture book for my granddaughter, hoping to share my love of reading and fill her bookshelves with fun and inviti ...more
Edie
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Yeah, Flora is back and this time, three dimensionally. The movement that is always present in Molly Idle's books about this determined dancer now includes flaps and a wondrous pop-up that will take your breath away. Lush greens in many hues adds to the feel good nature of this book. Lots of emotion, Flora's delight, respect in her new dance partners soon changes as they do not behave well (true to their peacock nature). But there is empathy, kindness and joy. Wordless picture books always leave ...more
Audra (Unabridged Chick)
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
We're huge Flora fans in our house, and this might be our favorite one yet. As always, the art is stunning, and the foldouts enhance the story. Flora accidentally tweaks some jealousy between two peacocks, and in the end, her fan gets torn. (My son was captivated and obsessed with this plotline. Lots of "he mad!" and "she sad!" and "oh, no!" with every read.) The final page, when Flora and the peacocks resolve their problem, with the huuuuuuuge fold out, is just breathtaking.
Beverly
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pbf-birds
I loved this book. I loved how Flora tried to copy the peacock tails with her fan. I loved the way the peacocks mirrored each other in their actions and stances. I loved the lift-flaps throughout the book. And I loved the huge foldout page at the end.
Allison
Goodreads needs to add the option of adding more stars- 5 just isn't enough. This book is gorgeous! I can't stop looking at it and touching the pages.
I support independent bookstores. You can use this link to find one near you: http://www.indiebound.
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A lovely, lovely dance featuring two peacocks and a charming young dancer. My 3 1/2 year old sobbed over the injustice of the peacocks ripping the girl's fan, though that might have been because bedtime was well overdue.

Jocelin
I actually liked this entry in the "wordless picture book" by Molly Idle. The others in this series were a little bland, but this was a colorful entry. I love Molly Idle's illustrations, I think she is a fantastic artist.
Lesley Burnap
Oct 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely stunning storytelling! Please get this book into the hands of ALL children (and adults)! So clever! So gorgeous!
Cindy Dobrez
Mar 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Delightful. Flora's fan and the moveable flaps were especially appropriate to the subject, reflecting the movement of peacocks.
Lynn
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely stunning! I think this may be my favorite of the three so far. The story as it slowly "unfolds" and that glorious resolution page are spell-binding.
Danielle
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Green is a fitting color for this newest friendship dance, a trio. Fans and feathers and expressive faces, plus a huge pop-up that will dazzle!
June
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Flora fans and wordless requests
Recommended to June by: capitolchoices.org
Fun. Flora with flaps and fold out.
Elisabeth
Apr 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
They just keep getting better and better. This one is my fave!
Rachel
May 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another great wordless book in this "series", has flaps that extend the story.
Turrean
A sweet and comic wordless story of a little girl trying to play with two new companions -- and this is definitely a case of "two's company, three's a crowd!"
Faith Tydings
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
See my review for Flora and the Flamingo...these books are great and I love them!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Return
  • Quest
  • Journey
  • Noisy Night
  • The Night Gardener
  • Ganesha's Sweet Tooth
  • Mr. Wuffles!
  • Snappsy the Alligator (Did Not Ask to Be in This Book)
  • They All Saw A Cat
  • Zombelina
  • Little Fox in the Forest
  • The Very Impatient Caterpillar
  • The Scarecrow
Molly Idle has been drawing ever since she could wield a pencil. But while she started scribbling before she could walk, her professional career as an artist began slightly later…

It was upon her graduation from Arizona State University, with a BFA in Drawing, that Molly accepted an offer to work for DreamWorks Feature Animation Studios. After five years, a number of film credits, and an incredibly

Flora (3 books)