Start by marking “Captain America: Dark Designs Prose Novel” as Want to Read:
Captain America: Dark Designs Prose Novel

Captain America: Dark Designs Prose Novel

(Marvel Prose Novels)

Captain America has battled soldiers, terrorists and villains of all kinds. Now he'll face a far more complicated enemy: his own body. When S.H.I.E.L.D. discovers that Cap is harboring an extinction-level pathogen hidden in his cells for decades, Cap's greatest fear is realized: Until the virus can be cured, he'll have to go into deep freeze. But he won't be alone. Years ...more
Published April 26th 2016 by Marvel (first published April 19th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Captain America, please sign up.
Stefan Petrucha Hi Maggie -

Thanks for the question. Other than a brief reference to Bucky's supposed death in WWII, and a scar it left on Cap, no.

Iron Man and Nick…more
Hi Maggie -

Iron Man and Nick Fury do appear.(less)

Start your review of Captain America: Dark Designs Prose Novel
DJ
A very solid four star book.

Disclaimer: I LOVE CAPTAIN AMERICA! The one from Marvel Cineverse more than any. Which is where most of my Cap knowledge comes from. I do not have a clue as to whether Dark Designs is from the graphic novels...I will say that I did google and amazon the title and only came up with copies of this specific novel, leading me to believe it's an original story.

cap 1

First, I must mention the cover under the book jacket. Gorgeous silver foiling create Cap's shield and letters on
Long Live Wonderland
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
After the events of the Civil War movie I pretty much lost all my respect for Captain America, purely because of all the pain he put Iron Man through. I'm Team Tony Stark all the way! But I would be lying if I said this book didn't make me want to respect Captain America again. Dark Designs featured not only Steve Rogers, but Nick Fury and Tony Stark as well. The book as a whole was great, but the ending felt kind of like a cop out to me. However, the epilogue was enough to keep me happy.
Bill Buckley
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great story. Features not only Cap himself, but also Iron Man, (Stark), Nick Fury and the villain Red Skull.

Also we saw the new Spiderman movie today. Tasha liked it a lot. I thought it was entertaining. But as I was telling her, it is the 7th Spiderman movie we've seen if you include his role in the Civil War movie. Entertaining, though and isn't that the point of these books and movies?
Tasha
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
An action packed book. One boss battle after another.
Sarah S
We listened to the GraphicAudio audiobook for this story, which was the expected high quality production with great voice actors, sound effects, etc. The story itself was a bit... obvious. To the extent that we almost didn't finish the book, but there wasn't anything better to do so inertia.
Scott
Nov 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Interesting story and a fun read. Recommended or any Capital fan.
Amy Walker
Oct 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Captain America: Dark Designs is the latest Marvel prose book from Titan Books and author Stefan Petrucha, who has previously brought comic book characters to the world of prose having written Spider-Man: Forever Young, and Deadpool: Paws.

Captain America: Dark Designs sees the iconic super soldier having to face an enemy that he's no equipped to beat, a virus. After a routine mission to stop the launch of a deadly pathogen Cap is examined on board the S.H.I.E.L.D. hellicarrier, where it's
Neil
Thots while reading:
It's kinda funny, but chapter six involves a giant robot [one of the Reich's Sleepers] being activated by the Red Skull and set to attacking Paris. Four teams of SHIELD agents are being sent in to deal with it and Captain America is (view spoiler) to act as an 'armchair general.' (view spoiler)
Dale
Oct 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Review of the Audiobook

Published in 2016 by GraphicAudio.
Performed by a multiple performers.
Duration: approximately 6 hours.

S.H.I.E.L.D. doctors discover a dormant virus in Captain America's bloodstream while performing a newfangled ultra deep scan after an encounter with a different dangerous virus. This is not just any virus, it is an "extinction-level" virus, meaning it has the potential to wipe out the human race if it were to become an active virus.

So, Captain America is placed into a
Gil T.
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So our favorite super soldier Captain America is the perfect representation of the protection our country deserves. He will do anything to make sure the country and its people are safe. What happens if he finds he's infected with an extinction level virus. If the virus infects anyone else the world will end. But Cap doesn't have time to be quarantined, the sleeper robots from Nazi Germany have awoken and will battle only Captain America or destroy anything in their path.

This production from
Scott Vout
Did this one as an audio book. In fact it was an audio play. Many different voices and sound effects. My first experience with an audio book like this.

Cap is my favourite super hero, so when i found a non comic book about him i had to give it a go.
Overall it was all right. I found some of the background effects to be a bit distracting at times and in the battle scenes it got a bit loud that i struggled to hear the characters talking.

the story itself was believable, Red Skull is the antagonist.
Melinda
These books are great. You know what you are getting, lots of crazy action and superheros! And these are superbly narrated by the team at Graphic Audio....would listen to pretty much anything they do. Fabulous to listen to.
David
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Graphic audio version. I'd like to quote passages from it but that is a disadvantage of this format. Instead I'll just misquote what I remembered incorrectly silently in my heart and urge every fan of Captain America to treat themselves by hearing/reading it for themselves.
TONY
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
good captain america adventure.
i could visual the movie actors with the phrasing used.
quick read
please can we have more?
Runalong
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sometimes you just need a giant robot/machine battle as this book delivered that very very well

Full review https://www.runalongtheshelves.net/bl...
Jonathan
Jul 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
Captain America: Dark Designs is an example of the challenge it can be to turn visual storytelling into prose. The story entangles Captain America, S.H.I.E.L.D. agents and doctors, Nick Fury, and eventually Iron Man into a fight for humanity when a deadly virus is discovered, capable of killing everyone.

The story is action-heavy, mostly likely a result of having to fit many panels of acrobatics, giant robots, and assorted weaponry into words. So much of the book describes the actions taking
J R

• Soon
  • Iron Man: The Gauntlet
  • Guardians of the Galaxy: Collect Them All
  • The Ultimates: Against All Enemies
  • The Lion Men of Mongo (Alex Raymond's Flash Gordon #1)
  • Men Without Women
  • Resistance Reborn (Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, #1)
  • The Girl the Sea Gave Back (Sky in the Deep, #2)
  • The Infernal City (The Elder Scrolls #1)
  • Turning Darkness Into Light
  • Star Wars Myths & Fables
  • X-Men and The Avengers: Lost and Found (X-Men: Gamma Quest Trilogy, #1)
Stefan Petrucha (born January 27, 1959) is an American writer for adults and young adults. He has written graphic novels in the The X-Files and Nancy Drew series, as well as science fiction and horror.
Born in the Bronx, he has spent time in the big city and the suburbs, and now lives in western Massachusetts with his wife, fellow writer Sarah Kinney, and their daughters. At times he has been a

Marvel Prose Novels (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Ant-Man: Natural Enemy
  • New Avengers: Breakout
  • Avengers: Everybody Wants to Rule the World
  • Avengers: Infinity Prose Novel
  • Black Panther: Who Is The Black Panther? Prose Novel
  • Black Widow: Forever Red (Black Widow, #1)
  • Red Vengeance (Black Widow, #2)
  • Captain Marvel: Liberation Run