Start by marking “Star Wars: Chewbacca” as Want to Read:
Star Wars: Chewbacca

Star Wars: Chewbacca

(Star Wars: Miniseries)

Known as the skilled co-pilot of the infamous Millennium Falcon, the legendary Wookiee warrior CHEWBACCA will star in his very own adventure! After the battle of Yavin, Chewbacca is on his own when he crash lands his ship on an Imperial occupied planet. Now stranded, Chewie finds himself caught in the middle of trying to return to the rebellion and helping a young and feis ...more
Published March 8th 2016 by Marvel (first published February 16th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Star Wars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Wars

Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
This just didn’t work

Sure, Chewbacca is a great Star Wars character. There’s no disputing that. But the problem with him being the centre character of a comic is that he only speaks in growls. There’s no monologue; there’s no internal conflict of decision making: there’s just growls. It was silly.

The plot of this was plausible enough. Chewbacca helps a load of slaves escape from a mine; it’s the sort of thing he would do. He was emotionally manipulated by a young girl, which caused him to be
Sr3yas
Mar 23, 2017 rated it liked it
2.5 Stars
Let me explain this to you in Wookieespeak:
Aaaaaarg Hraaa Grughh Hunnhh Hurraaaaa Hrr Hrhghahhhaaaah!
Wait, why do you look so confused? No hablo Wookieespeak?

Well, let me tell you a secret. Neither can I!

So, when the title character speaks a language that you can't understand, what the hell do you do?

The solution, my friend, is to add another character that talks way too much to compensate! In this case, it's a kid named Zarro. Zarro and her dad are slaves in a deadly mine run by gen
Sam Quixote
May 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Wyaaaaaa, it’s a Chewbacca (minus Han) solo comic!

Set in the wake of A New Hope, everybody’s favourite Wookiee crash-lands on some backwater planet while headed back to Kashyyyk on an important personal mission. As he figures out how to get his ride working again (it’s not the Falcon), he meets Zarro, a young girl who asks for his help in freeing her dad and people from enslavement. Chewie and his laser crossbow to the rescue!

About the only thing I was curious about with this Chewbacca limited
Paul E. Morph
Apr 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this one. It was a simple tale, but an action-packed one with a moving ending. The artwork was really nice too. I'd definitely be up for more of Chewbacca's solo adventures in the future if this team wanted to do a sequel.
Sesana
Dec 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, star-wars
A trifle on the generic side, but not bad. Chewie's temporary sidekick, Zarro, is cute and spunky, and I ended up liking her quite a bit. But she can seem a little obnoxious at the beginning. And this book absolutely doesn't do what I'd hoped it would do for Chewie. Because nobody in this book understands Wookie, he's essentially a silent character throughout. In the movies, we get a basic idea of what he's thinking because we can hear his inflection, and because he often has a translator and/or ...more
Blindzider
Jul 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
*yawn*

More of a Young Adult story.
Chompa
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
Not a very good run. I didn't care for the characters, the story or art despite being a big Star Wars fan. Not having any clue what Chewbacca was saying through the whole run did not help it.
Jakub Kvíz
Mar 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
Another solo (pun not intended) mini-series from SW universe that takes place right after Battle of Yavin.

Chewbacca is on a personal mission and crashlands on some planet where he meets a local girl. Her people were enslaved by some ugly piece of turd and she asks Chewie for help. And this is how a fast-paced action adventure with growling hairy dude starts.

Story-wise it's nothing special and you can probably skip it but the art is really nice.
Nick Nguyen
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was ok

The weakest of the new Marvel Star Wars standalone mini-series. Doesn't do much to elevate Chewie beyond his second-tier status among the original trilogy characters. A well-meaning project with moments of splashy artwork but hindered by a forgettable story.
Stephanie
May 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I love Phil Noto's art and it doesn't disappoint here, but it also doesn't do anything out of the ordinary, and the story was mediocre. I do love the girl, though and wouldn't mind more stories about her.
Jonathan Maas
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lot of fun - a surprise seeing Chewbacca without Han Solo and the Millennium Falcon, but that finds a way to make it more fun.
Lance Shadow
Aug 04, 2016 rated it liked it
It appears that Marvel is making an effort to write comic book miniseries for just about every major Star Wars character, except for Darth Vader (which will finish his larger comic series after the 4th volume concludes) and Luke Skywalker (who got his own novel and is the main character in Jason Aaron's ongoing Star Wars comic). Gerry Duggan's Chewbacca is the most recent completed comic in that trend that has added now ongoing comics starring Poe Dameron and Han Solo. I was pretty curious as to ...more
Jasmine
Feb 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, marvel
Beautiful art. Fun star-wars setting. I love the main character (not the title character's) ability to run a bluff like WOAH. Chewy, you have a fantastic knack for finding the best disreputable people.

Kinda ignored EU history and geography, which made me sulk. It didn't really do anything new, though?
Ian
May 31, 2016 rated it did not like it
"Pwease, Mistew Chewbaccer, you just GOTTA save my daddy fwom da bad guys!" Sod off.
William Fuentes
Apr 04, 2016 rated it did not like it
Sigh....that was terrible. These new Star Wars graphic novels are not done well at all. Oh well.
Jerry
Jul 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
An interesting and fun backstory for a beloved film character.
Ivy
5 stars

Nice to have a comic featuring Chewbacca. Glad they were able to free the miners. Hope Chewie will have fun with his family.

Can't wait to read more Star Wars comics!!!!!
Austin Zook
Aug 15, 2016 rated it liked it
A quick tale about Chewbacca taking a detour on his way to Kashyyyk after the events of A New Hope. He crash-lands on a planet on the verge of being surrendered to the Empire and has to help a plucky young girl save the day in the face of overwhelming odds.

Typical Star Wars, right?

The artwork is solid here. It's not that glossy, mass-produced look that a lot of modern Star Wars comics are rocking, but it's still clean and professional. There are some really lovely panels throughout the comic, li
Danielle
Jun 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Read this review and more on my blog.

Star Wars: Chewbacca collects issues #1 - #5 of Chewbacca.

I am impressed as to how easy it was to interpret Chewbacca's emotions and what it was that he was saying, considering all he says are variations of arrrrgggghhhhh.

The story line follows Chewbacca who has crash-landed on an Imperial controlled planet an his struggles with the local as he try to acquire the parts that he needs to fix his ship. It is a fairly simple storyline that goes where you expect i
Jessamyn Leigh
New canon Star Wars comics don't let me down and neither does Phil Noto's art.
description

Comics are a surprisingly great medium for Wookiees, I thought the way they handled Chewbacca's dialogue was great.
description

*wraps Zarro in a blanket and protects her from the world*
Allie
Chewie without Han?? How can this be?!

I love Star Wars. I want to love everything Star Wars. This? I didn't love this. I did like it though.

I knew it'd be a tricky one because aargh-arghoo. That said, I'd still read anything else Star Wars that comes along.
David Agranoff
So this was fun, I enjoyed it. kinda cheezy entertainment. It lost a star for having multiple not funny jokes about "letting the wookie win." enough already. There needs to be a Chewie mini-series set on his home world during the Clone Wars. The first cover Che-bacca revolutionary look. I know genius.
Václav
Apr 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, borrowed
This heartwarming Chewie story sits on well-known plot base - hero gets stuck somewhere, get to know local underdogs, get talked into helping, wins and leaves. This is so common it can't be a spoiler. There is zero invention but 100% of professionality for Star Wars lore and feeling. So if you're SW fan, go ahead. You can't go wrong with Chewie here.
Richard Eyres
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comicbooks_2017
How can you create a comic series based on a character that can only growl? By putting a talkative child in as well.
This was not the worst Star Wars comic series, but it's a close one. There were a couple of good moments, but in all honesty, not worth the money i spent on it in the sale.
Shame, as Chewie is one of my favorite characters.
Lainy122
Jun 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Nearly all the Star Wars comics I have read are equal measures fun, pandering, interesting world building, needless information, confusing allusions to stuff I have no idea about, and hilarious one-liners.

Again, this volume was all of the above. A good one to grab from the library, but not worth buying your own.
Jen
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was cute! A nice, short story that still led places with a wonderful and yet sad/touching ending. Long live the Wookie.
Joanna
Not the best to have a story around a character that is impossible to understand.
Corey
May 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Satisfactory, but not moving. Chewie probably deserves better than this. Can anyone recomend me a book that gives this character an interesting backstory? Canon or non-cannon is fine.
Vojtěch Gašparik
Feb 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
nuda, holka je děsně otravná.
  • Star Wars: Kanan, Vol. 2: First Blood
  • Star Wars: Darth Vader, Vol. 2: Shadows and Secrets
  • Star Wars: Han Solo
  • Star Wars: Legacy II, Vol. 1: Prisoner of the Floating World
  • Star Wars, Volume 1: In the Shadow of Yavin

Star Wars: Miniseries (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Star Wars: Princess Leia