Start by marking “Bloodmage (The Age of Darkness Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
Bloodmage (The Age of Darkness Trilogy, #2)

Bloodmage

(The Age of Darkness Trilogy #2)

The people of Perizzi have survived the battlemage war, but their future is looking darker than ever.

BYRNE is a Guardian of the Peace, investigating a series of murders in which the corpse was drained entirely of life.

FRAY's expertise with magic is needed to catch the killer, but working with the Guardians destroyed his father, years before.

CHOSS is a champion fighter,
Published April 12th 2016 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about Bloodmage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bloodmage

Start your review of Bloodmage (The Age of Darkness Trilogy, #2)
Katie
Apr 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bloodmage introduces us to new characters but also reunite us with a couple of old ones.
Fray was the character I liked the most. He is easy to connect with; he's been through a lot but he still managed to survive. He isn't complaining about the past but is simply taking what life is giving him. I liked his story - it showed how magic had a huge impact on individual lifes. His story also showed how the view on magic hugely changed after Balfruss (who didn't make a return which made me sad. I
Roy
Nov 01, 2016 rated it liked it
A different book and style compared to the 1st. Has more of a murder mystery than larger battle scenes like the 1st. Enjoyed singular characters however just didnt event the wheel. Still enjoyed it.
THE BIBLIOPHILE (Rituranjan)
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
A strong continuation to the series, though it can also be read as a standalone. The story and the plot has very little connection to the first novel, although reading the first will help the reader in understanding the fanatsy world created by Stephen in better terms. The story begins right after the end of the war which we got to witness in Battlemage . I enjoyed reading it which has a sense of mystery throughout, and keeps the reader guessing.

The setting this time is in Yerskania where a
Suzanne
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-read
I loved this book even more than Battlemage (book 1).
Aryan really knows how to write a good battle scene,whether its a huge battle in the middle of a war like in Battlemage,or smaller hand to hand street fights like in this one.
I was glad to see some characters from Battlemage make an appearance,and again the author managed to add more characters that I liked and wanted to root for.
This story had a more intimate feel because it takes place mainly in the city where its own criminal underworld
Matthew
Nov 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Aryan continues to impress with this follow up to Battlemage. A very different book to his debut, but still well worth a read. Full review to come.
Blodeuedd Finland
Jan 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The last book was all about war, while this one have spies, "cops" and criminals.

Byrne and Fray are guardians who are investigating horrible murders. I liked them and their hunt for the killer.

Choss is trying to find what happened at a recent fight and that brings us the underworld. I was not that keen on Choss or his investigations. The best part was when Butcher showed up

A character from book 1 is hanging about and I so wanted more about him, but alas.

Katja is a spy who is sent to infiltrate
Mitchel Smith
Feb 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Good book and a fun read. I feel that the story was missing a little something, but recommend it and Battlemage the 1st book in this series to anyone. Very much looking forward to reading the next. ...more
Marko
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-audiobooks
Like the first book, this one was truly a pleasure to read through. If there is one thing I'd like to mention, it is the amount of attention the author gives to character building and that alone makes the world come truly alive.
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2016/04/21/...

After the great time I had with Battlemage, and given my fondness for epic fantasy audiobooks, I decided to switch formats for the second book of the Age of Darkness series and give Bloodmage a try in audio. I was pleased to find that it worked very well, even though the sequel is a very different kind of story from its predecessor.

Bloodmage takes place in the aftermath of the first book, and some months have passed
Marc Morris
Mar 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I loved the first on this series and was my choice for David Gemmell Morningstar award this year . This instalment is different than the first in that because the wars over and the warlock defeated there is no big battle scenes and less magic . We focus more on a new group of characters with equal flaws but and that's a big but I feel it's better we become more hooked on the lives of the cast and for me I loved choss most and fray a close second . At the end you can see it links well in to the ...more
John
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Just as good as the first in the series. A fantasy murder mystery with magic, spies, an assassination plot and a good old-fashioned turf war. Great characters that we'll hopefully see more of in future books.
Brian Bayes
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good book

A good follow up to battlemage, keeps you engaged until the end of book, really good detective story, if you enjoy magic mystery and fighting yo will enjoy this.
Quirkybookworm
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cannot believe this is the second book in this series ! Now I’ve got to read the first one and last one. ...more
Mark
Nov 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-read
Bloodmage (Age of Darkness #2) is Stephen Aryan’s second novel, following on from events in Battlemage, though not necessarily a direct sequel in the strictest terms. I mentioned in my review of Battlemage that I was drawn to it primarily because of my friendship with Steve – fantasy not being my go-to genre – but I approached Bloodmage in an entirely different way. I was eager to read it to see where the story would go, what twists and turns were in store, and just how the world is progressing ...more
Jennifer Melzer
Unlike the first book in this series, Battle Mage, I came into Blood Mage by Stephen Aryan with a few expectations. The war that took place in Battle Mage was wrapped up with a smoldering black bow, a world ravaged left in its smoking ruins, and while it was the combined efforts and sacrifice of the land’s battle mages that ended the war, the people now fear magic and all its implications. This makes life difficult for a magic user like Fray. Before the war, he could openly practice his art ...more
Francesjanelawrence
May 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm loving, LOVING the kind of fantasy which leaves behind the focus on epic journeys, wildly complex magical systems and years and years of time passing in one story, to focus instead on five characters, or one incident, or one mystery, or one month in time......and that's exactly what Bloodmage does.

The story, to me, was more of a crime mystery (with a bit of mafia-style organisation thrown in) which just happens to be set in a fantasy world with some folks who can do weird magical
David
Jul 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book, fantasy
Only the second book I have read - and, indeed, only the second book released by - this author (Stephen Aryan), and I'm beginning to think I may have found my replacement fix for the relatively recently-deceased David Gemmell ...

Set not long (roughly a year or so, if memory serves) after the events of Battlemage, this takes a closer, more intimate look at the effects that war has had: rather than the grand battles/magics of the previous, we're into one city, where a plot is afoot to murder the
Nick Brett
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
The first book in this trilogy dealt with a war betwen nations, with the focus being on the Battlemages using their tools of magical destruction and defence. Plenty of other characters to get interested in and some interesting aspects of "other beings" taking an interest. I was surprised with this second volume to see new characters and some of the old ones surprisingly absent. But this still remains an excellent story. We have the aftermath and the resentment of the war and in Perizzi, when ...more
Scott
Dec 03, 2015 rated it liked it
It was good, but I enjoyed the first novel much, much more.

Again, a really good read. And it was extremely enjoyable. But the first one just blew me away. I do like the style and the build up is excellent. I like how the author keeps building you into the storyline and taking you deeper into the psyche and lives of the characters.

It also helps that these are new characters, yet there enough references to the previous novel that you know where you are and why the characters are where they are.
Mark
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very good sequel to the first book. New characters, and some old ones are still in the mix. I like how the author transitioned to the new issue. However I was not a big fan of how things left off with the Balfruss from the last book. (view spoiler) I will absolutely be on the lookout for the 3rd ...more
Ruth
Jun 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spec-fic
c2016: FWFTB: Perizzi, Watch, underworld, spy, massacre. Really glad that I gave this series another try. I was not particularly fond of the first book but this book was much much better. Although there a few references to the earlier book; this one can certainly be read as a stand alone. The characters were more developed and I actually liked most of the 'good' characters. I think that, at times, the plotting was a tad loose but overall a great story. Definitely recommended to the normal crew.
Rochelle
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have
After a slow start, Bloodmage grabbed my attention and didn't let go until that stunning climax. I loved that this instalment was a mix of a mystery and magic, with lots of conflict. It was not as bloody as Battlemage but just as satisfying. I simply can't wait for Chaosmage. I have very high expectations.

I might do a full review soon.
George Lumpkin
I thought this was well written story which took a select few characters from the 1st book and with just a thread tied the two stories together. This was a great opportunity to get to know some newer characters and to be reintroduced to some old favorites. I look forward to the culmination of Aryan's efforts and the return of some powerful and interesting characters in the next one.
Bart
May 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-read
4 GR* (Great. I loved it.) - 8+

Not the epic battles of Battlemage, but a conspiracy/murder mystery this time. Of course mages and gods are back. I liked it even more than the first book. I'm very looking forward to Chaosmage now. Recommended!
Lisa Oehler
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kept me up late at night, just had to finish!!
Sandra
May 22, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magic, sf-f2016
Rating: 3.5

This took me awhile to finish. Book began slowly, afterwards, it really took off. I am looking forward to the final book of the trilogy, Chaosmage.
Rudi Opperman
Feb 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Different theme to the first book, where war was the main theme. This book almost reads like a spy thriller or a crime thriller set in a fantasy world. Quite refreshing.
Aaron Advani
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A really good book 2, continues on from book 1 seamlessly.
Stephen Aryan is another new author making his mark in the Fantasy genre, well worth checking out.
Christopher
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Where to start with this one. I did not like how this was a sequel but we lost most of the main characters from the last one. Battlemage focused on Balfruss and Vargus and there is hardly any mention of him throughout the whole book. Vargus has a very small role. I find it extremely dissapointing when the sequel doesn't bring back the main characters. I was looking forward to seeing what Balfruss did after the war and how the kingdom rebuilt itself. However, on the other side with this book you ...more
Cheyenne
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pretty independent from the first book, which was disappointing at first but I really warmed to the new set of characters. Might need a refresher on the first book just to get the real background ambiance of everything, but I managed. It’s still reminiscent of Game of Thrones where politics is overshadowed by the threat of dark magic. Still, all fronts of the war-court politics, criminal underground, and the blanketing magic crime mystery-were very entertaining especially the fact that they’re ...more

• Fireborn (Seraphim, #2)
  • King of Assassins (The Wounded Kingdom, #3)
  • Blood of Assassins (The Wounded Kingdom #2)
  • Master of Sorrows (The Silent Gods, #1)
  • Crowfall (Raven's Mark, #3)
  • Shadowborn (Seraphim, #3)
  • Ravencry (Raven's Mark, #2)
  • Dark Forge (Masters & Mages, #2)
  • Age of Assassins (The Wounded Kingdom, #1)
  • Queenslayer (Spellslinger #5)
  • The Empire of Ashes (The Draconis Memoria, #3)
  • Holy Sister (Book of the Ancestor, #3)
  • Cold Iron (Masters & Mages, #1)
  • A Crown for Cold Silver (The Crimson Empire, #1)
  • The Traitor God (Age of Tyranny, #1)
  • A War in Crimson Embers (The Crimson Empire, #3)
  • The Gutter Prayer (The Black Iron Legacy, #1)
  • Skyborn (Seraphim, #1)

I’m a lifelong fan of fantasy and science fiction. It started with The Hobbit, The Belgariad, the Earthsea books, the Shannara books, DragonLance and then David Gemmell, who was a huge influence on my writing.

My novels include:-

Age of Darkness (first trilogy)
- Battlemage
- Bloodmage
- Chaosmage

Age of Dread (second trilogy)

-Mageborn
-Magefall
-Magebane

A prequel novella to everything, Of Gods and Men,

The Age of Darkness Trilogy (3 books)
  • Battlemage (The Age of Darkness Trilogy, #1)
  • Chaosmage (The Age of Darkness Trilogy, #3)