Start by marking “Are We There Yet?” as Want to Read:
Are We There Yet?

Are We There Yet?

Caldecott Medalist Dan Santat takes readers on the road trip of a lifetime!

"Are we there yet?" Every parent has heard this classic kid question on a long car ride--and after reading this astonishingly inventive new book (that even turns upside down for several pages!), you'll never look at being bored the same way again.

Let's face it: everyone knows that car rides can be b
Published April 12th 2016 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

Start your review of Are We There Yet?
Calista
What a fantastic book with special instructions. The kids wanted to read this twice simply because they like turning the book upside down. The kids go on road trips often so they know how long a trip can seem.

This kid has a Era's worth of imagination in him. They take a road trip back to the dinosaurs. They eventually make it to Grandma's Birthday party. This book is pure fun. I was so entertained and it started my day off right.

I'm a Santat fan - a SanTOT.
David Schaafsma
Nov 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Each year I and my family read and rate all the Goodreads picture book nominees. This one is nominated for 2016. I make a few comments and then add their separate ratings and their comment. There's 15 and this is the tenth being rated. My rating might be somewhat influenced by the family, naturally.

Me? 2 1/2-3 stars. Santat won the Caldecott Medal for 2015 for The Adventures of Beekle, the Unimaginary Friend. That was way better than this. This is a book about going on a trip and traveling so s
Colby Sharp
Oct 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, picture-book
Dan Santat is a picture book Jeti Master.
Melki
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: road-trip, kidstuff
When you're trapped on a seemingly endless roadtrip, it helps to have a good imagination. The author's illustrations are GLORIOUS, and really make the book.

description

description

Agnė
The illustrations are gorgeous, as always :)

Are We There Yet? is also very innovative:
1) It is literally "full of twists and turns" as the story requires the reader to turn the book upside down.
2) One of the minor characters, a robot, speaks in QR codes, and if you scan them, you can see the "translation."
3) The concept is unique and clever yet so simple and universal: if you are bored, the time slows down and even starts to go backwards to the prehistoric times; if you enjoy yourself, the time
Hannah
Time, when you are a kid, seems to move at an extended pace. Especially when you are bored. Especially when you are bored on a road trip. Santat’s genius new book plays with this concept the least boring way possible. A boy is on a road trip with his parents to his grandmother’s birthday party, a trip that begins to feel “like a million years”.... into the past. The boy’s imagination takes his family car through pirate ships and knight jousts and roaming dinosaurs until… ZOOM, they’re in a futur ...more
Beth
When taking a road trip, especially one to Grandma's house, the drive can seem endless. To the point where time doesn't just stand still... it moves backwards.

All I can say about this book is that Dan Santat is a genius. This book is cray... And I mean that in the best possible way. From time moving so slow you have to read the book backwards, to robots talking in QR codes, and even the beloved Beekle making a surprise appearance, Are We There Yet? is sure to entertain the most discriminating re
Christine
Another fantastic book by Dan Santat. I love the fact that the robot speaks in QR codes, that give you the translation of what he is saying when you scan them!!

I just read it to several of my classes and wanted to add their feedback. K & 1st grade were a bit too young to appreciate the fact the QR codes work and translate the robot (I scanned them while I was reading and enlarged the picture).

2nd & 4th grade loved it and wanted to know what app they needed so that they could scan it when they c
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
Absolutely terrific! Parents and children alike will recognize the familiar "Are we there yet?" refrain of bored backseat riders. Dan Santat's latest picture book offers an alternative - a wonderful adventure awaits travelers who utilize the power of imagination. Not only are there twists and turns in any excursion, this book requires the reader to twist and turn the pages in order to complete the story.
Mike
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Dan Santa's innovative use of format reignites the magic of the page flip.
Laura (Book Scrounger)
Cute book -- I liked it well enough, and the fact that there's at least some takeaway from it ("There's no time like the present") made me enjoy the cartoony silliness a bit more than I otherwise would have. My son picked it out for the Tyrannosaurus on the cover, so I think he's a fan. I liked the colors in the illustrations, and the whole "turning the book upside down" for most of the story was odd, but I think the kids enjoyed that part too.
Brenda Kahn
Well, LBYR cemented its place in my heart and earned the first two 2016 favorites designation. And, so did Dan Santat. I have been a fan of his work forever but Beekle and Are We There Yet are his best work ever. Are We There Yet? captured the universality of the boring family car ride and the richness of imagination. Ingenious use of space and hilarious visual humor. This is not one to read just once. Share it with a young person and be prepared to reread it many times. PS: you won't mind.
Paul Orsino
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Most of us have had the experience of a long road-trip. The first hour or so is fun but after the initial excitement fades time....slowwwsss....downnnnn. Dan Santat takes that feeling of time slowing to a standstill and takes it a step further- time starts moving backwards! Plenty of themes and points to discuss such as appreciating the journey of life.

This extraordinary road trip story is absolutely engaging and captivating. A must read!
Emma
Oct 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Maybe 3.5? This was fun but not quite as magical as I had expected. I liked the turning although I feel like it became almost gimmicky toward the end and I wonder how the story will work when being read to a crowd since some of the pages have so much going on. Still good and a lot of fun. Just not as sensational as I thought it would be.
Jessica
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, picture-books
The charm is in the pictures, and in getting to turn the book upside down and sideways as a simple (yet boring) trip to grandma's house becomes an epic adventure that starts at the dawn of time and extends well into the future.

(Trust me, kids: it only feels like it's taking a thousand years to get there. But yes, it even feels that way for grownups.)
Janet
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wildly imaginative and full of exquisite, energetically saturated illustrations. Worth the wait! (Dan Santat will be in Athens the DAY this book comes out--please join us in hosting him on 4/12 at 6:30. Email avid.athens@gmail.com or visit the Avid Facebook event page for info.)
Auburn Library
Jun 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: renee-s-reads
The illustrations tell the story more than the words do. We had to read it twice to fully understand it. My boys (ages 7 and 8) enjoyed it but I don't think it would work well for storytime. I recommend it for older picture book readers.
Christi
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
I really love this book. LOVE.
Earl
Apr 09, 2016 rated it liked it
This book suffered the too-much-hype syndrome. I had too high of an expectation for it. With that said, it is absolutely a good and fun and entertaining read!
Dani
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wowsers, beautiful! (Also, dinosaurs !)
Kate
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A lovely and entertaining picture book about a boy being bored during the car ride to grandma’s house, with the ultimate message of appreciating the time you have in the present.
Gabrielle DeLucia
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Readers are taken on a road trip of a lifetime. Typically car rides can get boring, but the author and illustrator, Dan Santat takes readers through the main character's imagination, and time starts moving so slow, that it feels as though it is going backward. By the end of the story, the main character realizes that there is no greater gift than the present and to enjoy the ride! The illustrators vivid images paired with the author's descriptive language help to bring the book to life for the r ...more
Mathew
Perhaps far cleverer that it first appears, Santat's second book after The Adventures of Beekle: The Unimaginary Friendis a very clever play on time and movement within a picturebook when a bored child asks the titular question 'Are we there yet?'

A book that invites and needs constant revisiting, Santat's postmodern take on the problem of what happens when you go on a long car journey and can't think of anything to do is answered here when the boy (Kyle?) finds that a journey that feels like it
Andrea
Jul 08, 2016 added it
Shelves: picture-books
This brilliantly illustrated book tells the familiar story of a young child's experience on a boring road trip. The story unfolds as we follow his imagination to far off lands, time periods and even the future, as he tries to make sense of the unbearable time passing in the car. A unique quality of the book is the layout of the text, that requires the reader to flip the book around twice, which is an enticing hook to engage readers. The illustrations are created with bright paint strokes, with e ...more
Amara Tanith
Nov 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, 2016
This is a simple little story with a refreshing stroke of creativity. In the story, a little boy on his way to his grandmother's birthday party badgers his parents with the age-old car trip question: "Are we there yet?" And as he grows increasingly bored, his mind starts to wander... and before he knows it, he and his parents are off on a crazy trip through time and space. The book itself gets in on the act, with the story flipping over entirely, so that the reader must turn his or her copy upsi ...more
Kevin Doyle
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A magnificent picture book! Absolutely ideal as a gift for a boy or a girl, age 5/6 and up. Especially now since Spring is...um...springing and Summer break seems right around the corner--this means road trips are in many kids' futures. And this book shows a completely fresh and exciting way to survive a long car ride. By unplugging and leaping into the imagination zone.

Follow along with this young boy as he rolls across the miles; daydreaming about cowboys, pirates, knights, dinosaurs, and even
Margie
Apr 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
We've all taken trips; some more eventful than others. There are travels where the destination is everything. We can't get there fast enough. On the flip side there are places we can't wait to leave; home has never been sweeter. In many cases the getting there is far better than the arrival. The best kind of excursion is a fascinating combination of transportation of choice, stops and starts full of unexpected, funny surprises, a much-anticipated journey's end, and a safe, satisfying return.

With
Kathryn (Nine Pages)
Originally published on my blog, Nine Pages .

This is a fun twist on the classic “Are we there yet?” plot of a child complaining in a car ride to his parents with a good moral. Drifting off possibly and entering an alternate dreamscape where all the pages are upside down, the boy in this story goes hundreds, thousands of years backwards, encountering cowboys, pirates, and dinosaurs. His parents are appalled by all of these strange encounters, but the boy doesn’t notice the wonders they are pas
Annette
ARE WE THERE YET? by Dan Santat is an inventive picture book that explores the age old question “are we there yet?”.

When a young boy becomes bored on a long road trip to his grandmother’s birthday party, he imagines that time goes so slow that it begin flowing backwards. Along the way he sees pirates, knights, camels, and even dinosaurs. However, soon the story shifts to the future.

Careful readers will spot QR codes that can be read by electronic devices. These codes lead to secret messages. You
Kathleen Dixon
Apr 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kathleen by: the Bookshop
We've all been there, done that. We've all suffered the children asking over and over. We've all (well, quite a few of us) have had the next generation of children plaguing us with that perennial question! So Dan Santat has put the problem into a book - and solved it!

This beautiful book has the family on a car journey, but to diminish the tedium they imagine a trip back through time. So the reader travels also - there are pirates, there's Ancient Egypt, and of course there are dinosaurs. Eventua

• Carnivores
  • A Hungry Lion, or A Dwindling Assortment of Animals
  • Crankenstein
  • Because
  • Ada Twist, Scientist
  • Hotel Bruce (Mother Bruce, #2)
  • Over and Under the Pond
  • Mother Bruce (Mother Bruce, Book 1)
  • Snappsy the Alligator (Did Not Ask to Be in This Book)
  • Jacob's New Dress
  • Ocean Meets Sky
  • I Will Take a Nap! (Elephant & Piggie, #23)
  • Dear Dragon