Start by marking “Princeless, Vol. 4: Be Yourself” as Want to Read:
Princeless, Vol. 4: Be Yourself

Princeless, Vol. 4: Be Yourself (Princeless (Collected Editions) #4)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  892 Ratings  ·  110 Reviews
Angoisse Ashe, the oft-forgotten middle sister of the Ashe royal family, is locked in a castle deep in the swamp. Not only is her castle guarded by zombies, but the swamp is full of dangerous hazards. Everything from quicksand to goblins to swamp monsters to VAMPIRES! But does that give Adrienne pause? Unfortunately not, as she and Bedelia dive head-first into their most d ...more
Published November 10th 2015 by Action Lab Entertainment (first published November 5th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Princeless, Vol. 4, please sign up.
Maria L Hoekstra g-mart.com seems to have a limited amount of the individual comics from book 4. Amazon does have it but it is pricing out at $30 for each issue! :/

Heidi The Hippie Reader
The Princeless series continues to deliver strong female characters, beautiful (child appropriate) artwork, and storylines with meaning. Each time Adrienne and Bedelia venture out to rescue one of Adrienne's sisters, a facet of relationships is dissected and examined. This volume dealt with abusive relationships and gender roles in government.

Now, it's not that cut and dry on the surface- the story itself is really fun and engaging. Adrienne and Bedelia have to survive a cannibalistic tribe of g
Sesana
Feb 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, fantasy
I still really like this series, but this one felt like a bit too much plot packed into a bit too few issues. Mainly, I think, because I was a bit disappointed with how little time was given to Angoisse. I'd really been looking forward to this storyline, which is a take on the emotionally abusive relationships sadly common to YA PNR. It's one of those anvils that could use being dropped, if you know what I mean. I just wish that there'd been more time spent on this story. At the same time, I can ...more
laura (bookies & cookies)
Brilliant as always. Ridiculous monsters, unlikely companions, a Princess Bride reference(!!!!!), and interesting developments that help me *see* where the story arc is going even if it's taking AGES to get there.

I've read three volumes of Princeless in 1 month, so I'm pretty invested.
Billie
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Dear Action Lab:

If you do a reprint on this, please correct the spelling of Kelly Sue DeConnick's name on her blurb. Unless the blurb is actually from someone named "Kelly Sue Decconick" and you just want people to think it's from the other Kelly Sue, in which case it's kind of a crappy Marketing move.

Thanks.
Me

LynnDee (The Library Lush)
I like these Princeless comics, I just don't find them as compelling as other comics I've read, ie. Unbeatable Squirrel Girl. Also, not a fan of all the ads for other comics in the bind-ups.
Kathleen
Mar 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
To continue my reviews of the comics I've read, after that brief Ursula Vernon interruption...

Princeless! I really do enjoy Princeless. You've probably seen excerpts from it floating around on tumblr, and of course I've reviewed the first three volumes here. It's a smart, funny, girl-focused comic, with few boys and a strong focus on the relationships between women.

In this installment, Adrienne goes to rescue her third sister, Angoisse, dead middle in a family of seven and also rather gothic. On
Miss
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
i am so fond of devin, the king really needs to take a step back to consider what amazing children he's blessed with and quit trying to push them into his tiny boring gender role boxes. i mean honestly, if i had a son who was clever and curious and a talented seamster i would be bursting with pride! i would never shut up about either of them! i'd be the embarrassing mom who's like and this is my girl adrienne, did you know what a talented swordfighter she is, hold on, i've got video for you. and ...more
Elizabeth A
May 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, graphix, kids-ya
Finally this installment gets back to the roots of what makes this a fun and colorful graphic novel series. Before we got sidetracked, you might remember that the mission was to rescue all the royal sisters, and middle sisters are the ones most often forgotten. Fear not, our heroines are on the way to the swamp to set Angoisee free, but first they must outwit goblins, zombies, and something far worse, I cannot say what for fear of spoiling the most delightful thing about this volume. Well, there ...more
Amy
Maybe the best one yet! I'm biting the bullet and investing in the series thus far - wish I had these when I was a kid sighing over Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty!
Jul 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Well that took an entertaining turn!
Kales
How does this series keep it's quality? I adore how unique it is and it continues to find fun ways to defy the odds. I don't really want it to end.
Lisa
Apr 17, 2017 rated it liked it
I loved the part with the new sister but I didn't love the switching back and forth between all the bits leading up to that.
Abbie
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute, but it was a little slower than others. Can't wait for more though!
Tiamatty
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, indie-comics
Princeless remains a treasure of a comic. It's filled with fun humour, compelling characters and wonderful messages. There's the larger messages - those of friendship and family, those of ignoring gender roles to do what makes you happy, and in this particular volume, a message of not needing a boyfriend to be happy. But there's also smaller messages that are dropped in single panels: For example, a moment of Adrienne saying that sometimes you need to raise your voice, because no one listens to ...more
Melle
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Melle by: Princeless
Reading this might have been the best possible Christmas present I could have given myself. Adventures continue, and Adrienne is tied with the new Ms. Marvel, Kamala Khan, as my favorite graphic series star. That she and Kamala are both feminist, asskixy protagonists of color is a happy coincidence. I was a little nervous about the goblin speaking in broken English, but there was no accent specified or implied, so I gave him a French accent in my mind, and it was awesomely hilarious. Sparky the ...more
Chasity
Feb 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Another outstanding installment of the Princeless series. I love the further addition of characters with each volume and I'm really looking forward to the next one where we meet Bedalia's dwarf relatives and Sparky may get to see the farm where the dragons and raised to be protectors where she may have come from. It's so rewarding seeing everyone finding their own happiness in the book whatever that might be. I hope Adrienne can find her happiness too when her quest to save her sisters is throug ...more
Kat High
Jun 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
I think this volume was my favorite so far. In addition to criticizing bullying and unjust power structures, this volume investigated abusive relationships and manipulation.

There are a few things that I would still like to see from this series. They are:
1. Actual, explicitly stated, LGBT characters. There's been some implied lady/lady crushes but just give me some medieval girlfriends, please?
2. "Good" characters who fit into the traditional gender roles. The reversal of gender roles does an aw
Colona Public Library
I'm still really liking this series and I really loved how much attention Sparky the dragon got in this particular volume. (view spoiler) I'm very excited to see the brother and Wolf kid join forces to find his mother and I wonder if this will be part of the story or another spin off? Things are starting to get interesting! ~Ashley
Kris
Aug 21, 2016 rated it liked it
This was another not so good volume. I'm not saying it was horrible or anything but it could have been better. I felt like they spent way too much time with the goblin characters and Sparky. I wasn't that into the parts with her brother either. Although that other little monster was freakin' adorable. I also kinda miss the art style from the last volume.
Hebah
Jun 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-reads
Another cute installment of this series. It was a little jarring for me since it has been a while since I read the last volume, but I'm enjoying seeing the various princess sisters and how they each cope with their lots differently. The goblins were fun, and I loved their little arc of politics and monsters (and the embossed business card :D).
Kendra
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Yes good continue please
Anna Hepworth
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I feel that the series is really starting to hit its stride here -- as well as all the details that I suspect kids appreciate, it is starting to really work at the over-arching plot level. Many many details are becoming obvious. I'm not sure I like the way the story line for the young prince is going, but I have hopes that it will turn out to be more interestingly done than the early stages.

Also, the hints about the Black Knight are starting to become more frequent. I have a strong suspicion, m
Akemi Maniwa
While I still very much love the series and I know the target audience is much younger than I am I feel this volume was a bit weak compared to the previous volumes. Or it just may be I'm more than slightly disappointed at the lack of Raven in this volume. It may be there were too many plotlines that I wanted to follow more in-depth but were not focused on, like the development of Adrienne's brother's quest. I'm really glad that a comic for young girls expressly addresses issues such as gender ro ...more
A return to the original storyline with Adrienne and Bedelia going to the swamp to rescue her sister Angoisse. There is a wonderful side story within the swamp itself; Sparky the dragon is its star but shares billing with the goblins and another monsters. It took a bit of a turn toward the silly at the end though: (view spoiler).

Also, does anyone else think the Black Knight is (view spoiler)?
Angie
Princess Adrienne is off to rescue another one of her sisters. This time it is moody Angoisse stuck in a tower in the swamp. Angoisse isn't alone however. She believes herself in love with a vampire knight. Little did she know he was not what he seemed. Adrienne, Bedelia and Sparky also help the goblins of the swamp with a little monster problem. Turns out the monster is not who they think it was. There is so much to love with this series. It is original and awesome.
April
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Yet again, Princeless has captured my heart. This is one of my favorite volumes yet. Princeless is funny, feminist, creative and well imagined. I seriously did not want this one to be over and I can't wait until I get my hands on volume 5. Perfect for fans of Lumberjanes and similar all ages comics. Princeless is the fairy tale we all need.
Miri
Dec 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, mighty-girls
Three and a half stars. I love the series, but after reading Raven the Pirate Princess, I have to admit I'm not as excited about Adrienne and Bedelia's questing. They're great characters, but their stories feel a little younger, and Raven is just all grown up and putting together the most badass pirate crew of all time.
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’ve really enjoyed this series so far and I like the themes about making your own way and not relying on patriarchal expectations to define you, but I’m going to take a break from this series. I like the characters enough but at this point in the story, the adventures have become a bit repetitive. I am eager to see how the younger brother’s quest turns out!
Lara
I feel like this series is starting to lose me a little...I didn't really care for the goblin story line much, or the Angoisse one, although I do like that Devin's getting some more screen time and I LOVED the The Princess and the Pony reference!
  • Lumberjanes, Vol. 3: A Terrible Plan
  • Ninja-Rella: A Graphic Novel
  • Secret of the Time Tablets (Cleopatra in Space, #3)
  • Unicorn vs. Goblins (Heavenly Nostrils, #3)
  • Dragons Beware! (Chronicles of Claudette, #2)
  • Adventure Time: Marceline Gone Adrift
  • Little Nemo: Return to Slumberland
  • Thor, Volume 2: Who Holds the Hammer?
  • The Nameless City (The Nameless City, #1)
  • Delilah Dirk and the King's Shilling (Delilah Dirk, #2)
  • Baba Yaga's Assistant
  • Big Birthday Bash (The Misadventures of Salem Hyde, #2)
  • The Hidden Doors (Explorer, #3)
  • Pirates of the Silver Coast (Three Thieves, #5)
  • The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Vol. 3: Squirrel, You Really Got Me Now
  • Princess Ugg Vol. 1
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Smoke and Shadow, Part 2 (Smoke and Shadow, #2)
  • Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, Vol. 1: BFF
Jeremy Whitley is the son of two teachers and the husband of a third.

Born in La Mesa, CA, Jeremy went to high school in Lenoir, NC and college at The University of North Carolina. He graduated with a Bachelors in English, a minor in Creative Writing, and a girlfriend who would soon become a wife.

He and his wife Alicia live in Raleigh with their elemental daughter, Zuri. Jeremy writes part-time an
More about Jeremy Whitley

Princeless (Collected Editions) (6 books)
  • Princeless, Vol. 1: Save Yourself