Start by marking “Broken English (Broken Lives, #1)” as Want to Read:
Broken English (Broken Lives, #1)

Broken English (Broken Lives #1)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  298 Ratings  ·  91 Reviews
For me, the name Dante conjured up two images. The first was the epic depictions of Hell from Dante’s Inferno, with people burning for their sins. The second image was a sexual depiction. I don’t know where it came from, but as far back as I can remember, I had always associated the name Dante with a beautiful and sexy man. I'd imagined a dark-haired, dark-eyed, gorgeous l ...more
Published August 2nd 2016

Slammed by Colleen HooverGabriel's Inferno by Sylvain ReynardEasy by Tammara WebberVampire Academy by Richelle MeadLosing It by Cora Carmack
Student-Teacher Affair Novels
277 books — 1,571 voters
Captive in the Dark by C.J. RobertsSeduced in the Dark by C.J. RobertsForbidden by Tabitha SuzumaConsequences by Aleatha RomigComfort Food by Kitty Thomas
Taboo Reads
1,075 books — 2,014 voters

More lists with this book...

SueBee★bring me an alpha!★

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐! Broken English, book 1 of 4. Dante’s reckless & forbidden seduction of his English teacher, who is married!

“Then stop eyeballing me like you wanna ride my cock,” I said. “You were doin’ it all through English class.”
“I was not!”
“Liar. You even did it during detention.”

Books in Broken Lives series should be read in order:

Judith
Jul 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Judith by: Jan
5 + Stars......Amazing!!

I glanced back at the teacher,thinking she was hot as fuck.

Dante....student...15

Clara....teacher....married,early twenties

This book took me completely by surprise.It grabbed hold of me and would not let go.I read it in just over 24hours,I couldn't put it down.

From the blurb you'd be forgiven for thinking it was a sexy Teacher/Student book but it's so much more than that.For a start it's a role reversal to similar books,Clara is the teacher and Dante is the student.

Cla
Jan
Broken English is live and free on Kindle unlimited right now!! :D

So far, this year, I have read 115 books.
Broken English is hands down, one of the best. Top 5 I would say.

I dived into this little gem expecting a dirty and sordid story about an affair between a lady teacher (for a change) and a boy. Biggest mistake ever by assuming that. Or not. After all, being taken by surprise here worked in a very positive way, in my opinion.

Broken English surpassed all my expectations and proved to me wh
warhawke
Jul 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who love taboo stories
Genre: General Fiction
Type: Book 1 of 3 from Broken Lives series
POV: First Person - Dual
Rating:

Clara Hatton moved from England to teach at Wera High School, a lower socio-economic area of Auckland. As a teacher, she was determined to make a difference in the lives of her problematic students. But she underestimated the difficulties in handling them especially when one of them demanded her attention with not only his attitude but also his good looks.

Dante Rata was only fifteen, but life lesson
Elizabeth
"My mind was tripping over itself, tumbling down a rabbit hole, getting lost in his manipulations, the high he was giving me, the pleasure, the ecstasy."
description

Broken English is the first book in the Broken Lives Series. It is a forbidden romance full of passion, heartbreak, broken people, and survival.

description
Clara Hatton is an ambitious and bright young school teacher who begins her first day full of hope and passion for educating her young students. The climate on her new campus is anything but calm. Th
Loyda

Type: Book 1 of 3 from Broken Lives series
POV: First Person – Dual

Publication Date: August 2nd 2016

description
"Often the most confident and arrogant kids are the most broken inside."

description

Clara Hatton is the new teacher in town; well a lower class town but is a big deal to her indeed. Recently moved to England and landing the job of her dreams; at only twenty-four years old; Clara was happy for this opportunity. She was pretty, petite and defiantly did not looked like twe
Marita Hansen
Aug 03, 2015 is currently reading it  ·  (Review from the author)
description

INFORMATION ABOUT THE BROKEN LIVES SERIES (regarding some questions people have asked me):

1) Although Dante is also from the series Behind the Lives (between the ages of 23 and 24), his storyline there is completely finished. He will not be in that series anymore, save for possible cameos. But again, he will not be getting storylines in Behind the Lives anymore. He is staying in the BROKEN LIVES series. I don't put out Behind the Lives books that often due to it not being as popular as my other
Chesca
Join the discussion, and have the opportunity to get ARCs and other freebies! ---> BROKEN LIVES GROUP

“Humans are savages, no worse than animals, preying on the weak and vulnerable for their own gain. They’ll even bring down the strong with the right words, grinding them into the ground, making them do what they want.”

Actual rating: 4.5 stars
A copy was kindly provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

One of the best things I love in a lot romance novels I’ve read is the big a
  KAT ⚛ Kitty Kat's Crazy About Books ⚛
༺**Complimentary Copy**༺ Provided by the author
"Marita A. Hansen" in exchange for an honest review..Thank you!!

TITLE: Broken English
SERIES: (Broken Lives #1)
AUTHOR: Marita A. Hansen
GENRE: Contemporary Romance
CHAPTERS: 29
RELEASE DATE: August 2ND, 2016

MY RATING: 5 STARS

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BROKEN ENGLISH: Spoken in 'Dual Perspectives' Dante & Clara, set in the year 2002

We're first introduced to happily married, twenty-four year old Clara, she's returned to her homeland New Zealand after teaching abroad with
Sophie "Beware Of The Reader"
Dec 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 “sinful temptation” stars

Broken English photo Broken English_zpshcpxytkf.jpg

Warning: taboo and conflicted feelings!!!!

I finished this book yesterday evening. Or was it rather this morning as I read late into the night? Anyway my head was swimming it was a jumble of conflicting emotions.
I could not stop reading the book so it had to be good, right? But my problem is I still think what happened was wrong!

And yet….

So I’ll play the Devil’s advocate and argue with myself. Imagine a small angel on my right shoulder and a small devil on my left sho
Chippy *Moves Like Jagger* Marco
DANTE (Picture swiped from Judith:D)
description

The words left my mouth again as he licked his upper lip, giving me a blatantly sexual look. He wasn’t the first kid to check me out, but he was the first to make my mouth run dry, the boy far too sensual-looking for my own good.

Yes, the main male character in Broken English is a fifteen-year-old boy called Dante Rata. But Dante isn't like any other kid. He's a mixture of so many different things, a complex character that felt so real, so vulnerable, yet so
CC
Jul 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to CC by: Open Minded and/or Taboo Readers
4.5 Stars

description

Dante Rata is a Maori kid from a tough neighborhood and has a scarred past. Trying to just live his life and survive, he does what he can to help pay his father’s bills. While at 15 years-old Dante has experienced much more loss and tragedy than the average teen and knows his life choices are limited, yet he still has a sense of pride and an enormous heart.

“Appearance was everything where I lived. It wasn’t about fancy labels, it was about putting on a tough front, proving you were
Elle
3* FORBID-den STARS!

Mmy first read from Marita A. Hansen and I was shocked. Literally. This book earns flawless reviews from anyone I know and catch my attention. Unfortunately, it seems I missed 'the warning' or what. I don't know... but I didn't feel this is for me. So here is my rant.

description

Clara Hatton works as the new English teacher in New Zealand. She just moved from UK and her first day was definitely unforgettable. Her class isn't always easy especially when he's in there. Dante Rata is only f
Mercedes
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs, new-adult
4.5 Stars

Dante *swoon* he was equal parts sexy and insecure; it was a devastating combination. There were parts of the book I couldn't decide if I wanted to jump his bones or hug him and protect him from all the shit in his life. His circumstances forced him to mature beyond his years which added an extra dimension of moral conflict; he seemed older than he was but does that, or should it, affect the way Clara viewed him?
He was just too attractive, a temptation constantly taunting me, playing
Myla
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Dante Rata a 15-year old boy who grew up fast due to life’s experiences. A troubled kid to everyone… a drug dealer trying to make ends meet… a walking sex-on-a-stick kind of appeal to woman(both young & old)… a talented guy with a great singing voice and good in poetry. This young man is deep, beyond his years and he like his new English teacher.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Clara Hatton is happy that finally she's going to be a full time teacher; little did she know that she’ll be assigned to a rowdy group of student, i
Hulya Kara Yuksel
Dec 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm gonna lose my freaking mind. That end. :-\

Can't wait to read 2nd book...

Nikki ღ Navareus
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Nikki ღ Navareus by: Jan

***FIVE STARS***

After reading the blurb for this story, I figured this would just be one of those smokin' hot stories where the teacher and student find themselves drawn to each other(view spoiler), and then they slowly begin to carry on a forbidden affair. This story was so much more than what I had imagined. Broken English felt completely realistic and believable in every way. I really felt fo
Wendy
 photo fun_facts_about_pixar_studios_that_you_probably_dont_know_25_zpstaelltsj.gif

Wow this book. I've read all the awesome and raving reviews of my friends and ofcourse I didn't want to be left behind on this one. I just didn't really know what to expect. I figured I was gonna get a teacher-student/ forbidden love story, but this was so much more than that !!

I don't want to say to much about the storyline, because I think it's best going into this one blind without any spoilers. I will give a little bit of info though...

Clara is 24, married and starting a new job as an Engli
April
 photo e215f2dc-d1ef-43a8-a509-7158ff83cbea_zpspncqjq4z.jpg
I remember adding this to my tbr when there was only a tag stating that it's a "teacher/student" relationship. Well........if you know me, then you know my reaction was
surprise photo: Supernatural Surprise SupernaturalSurprise.gif

I thought that this would be a standalone, but alas, it is not. This will be a trilogy, and I guess that makes sense because we've just barely scratched the surface in this one, but it definitely paints a grey and gloomy backdrop. No sunshine and roses between these pages.

Very excited to see where Ms. Hansen takes these two forb
Fathima
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars !

Fifteen isn't my age, it's just the years I've spent in this hellhole called earth." He taped his head. "I'm older in here, much more than you, cos I've seen and done things no fifteen or even fifty-year-old has. Age is just a number, so stop lettin' it get in the way of what you want. And I know you want me. It couldn't be more obvious."

Its been 4 days since I've finished reading this book . 4 days worth of time that I've given myself to ponder on how wrong this story was on soo ma
✿kawehi.reviews
Sep 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
**yay!! got my arc!! thank you marita!! <3**

Damn, that ending. Just be warned guys, IS IS a cliffy!! But definitely one that will have me continuing on with this series.

Those of you who keep up with my reviews and observe the kind of books I like to read will be well aware that I love love, taboo/ forbidden kinds of reads and Broken English fit that description to a T.

I've read a couple of Marita A. Hansen's books before and so far this is the biggest guilty pleasure I've had the honor of rea
Elaine
Need
Pleasure

WANT

photo temptation_zpseq5w91ti.gif

Temptation is the fire that brings up the scum of the heart

Wera High............... is a high school in a lower social area in New Zealand and Clara is their new English teacher.
Clara is under no illusion that this will be a challenging position but she loves English and is keen to form a relationship with her pupils.

Dante a pupil from one of the worse neighbourhoods attends Clara's class. With his cocky attitude and physique of a man Clara finds herself distr
Kay (❦ ᴗ ❦ ✿) BooksandMe

“Humans are savages, no worse than animals, preying on the weak and vulnerable for their own gain.”
~ Dante

Just that this book was taboo was all I needed to know to sign up myself for a reading. I really don’t know much anything other than when I started reading the pages and be immersed into a world unknown with a lot of underlying issues and topics. My favorite.

“For once it would be nice if a woman I wanted touched me.”
He looked up at me.
“Like you.”

Dante is an enigma. He is this studen
Rag
4 'Sinful' Stars!

Clara Hatton is a 24 year-old teacher. She recently moved from England to teach a lower socioeconomic school in Auckland. Her career goal was to make a difference in the most problematic students that were always told they couldn't do it. She thought she could do it, until she meet the most problematic of all, Dante.

Dante Rata is a fifteen year-old bad boy. He not only has a broken home but a broken soul too. Life made him grow up too fast.

“Fifteen isn't my age, it's just the
*Kayley*

You read that tag correctly....mental fucking illness. I'll get to that later.

Y'all....I came into work early to write this review because I have opinions. Broken English confused me and I'm not sure where to go from here so I'll just empty my thoughts. **Spoilery-ish**

-Clara was a fucking idiot. Seriously. I would borderline describe Clara as a Sociopath. Her lack of conscience when it came to her attraction to Dante was alarming to me. I get the oogies reading about people who are attracted t
Anna
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Marita Hansen i missed youre books realy bad and this one is the reoson why, just epic
Anesha †Curious & Obsessive Bookworm†
FIVE BILLION Broken Stars!

“As long as I can spell marijuana, coke, and heroin, I’m sure my future,” he made quote marks with his fingers, “profession is safe. It’s the only reason I pay attention in Science. Now that’s a subject worth doin’.”

Dante Rata is a force. Nothing about him was small. He came in like a tsunami and the turbulent effect is still rocking me to this core even though it’s been a few weeks since I’ve read this. From the moment I met him, I was smiling, waiting impatiently fo
Mirjam
Nov 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, taboo

And the consequences began....

Broken English, a story that I do not know what to think or feel about. It was equally confusing, shocking and appealing to me. I do love to read about taboos but this, more than forbidden romance, with a triple taboo (1. teacher/student, 2. underage, 3. cheating), was a difficult one for me. I'm glad it was fiction although I do wonder if this happens in RL.

I do think the book had a lot of uninteresting trivia and took the pace of out the story. I also did not car
Candy
Aug 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I want to start by saying the subject matter of this book it taboo in nature and may not be for everyone, it's about a teaching & a 15-year old student. It is a story & not real, if that bothers you don't read it.

With that said, I enjoyed the book a lot. Dante is a young man not knowing or believing himself to have worth beyond his own sex appeal. His past is riddle with a hidden secret he wants to keep buried because he does not want to face it. He hides by playing the clown, drinking,
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
BROKEN LIVES GROUP: Who is your favourite character? 14 21 Dec 04, 2016 08:26AM
Some Like It Hot!: BROKEN ENGLISH ARC - Teacher-Student Novel 18 44 Aug 24, 2016 07:37PM
A Male Lolita? 2 20 Jul 17, 2016 04:23PM
  • Night Fires
  • The Stars Landing Deviant (Stars Landing, #5)
  • Elicitation (The Training of Eileen, #1)
  • Beautiful Losers
  • Pitching for Amalie (Men of Baseball #1)
  • The Ground Rules Rewritten (The Rule Breakers, #2)
  • Watching (Watching, #1)
  • The Yearning
  • Enflame (The Affair, #3)
  • My Dear Stranger
  • Darkroom (Darkroom Saga, #1)
  • The Darkest Frost, Vol. 2 (The Darkest Frost, #2)
  • Badger
  • Illusions of Evil
  • What If She Does
  • Hard
  • Loving the White Liar
SOME FACTS ABOUT ME:

NATIONALITY: I am a New Zealander with Croatian heritage.

SPORTS: As a teenager my favourite sports were karate, badmington, and running. I also did unarmed combat and played in a touch rugby team (my gym teacher made me do the last one!) Now, I stick to coaching soccer and running. I have completed two marathons, numerous half-marathons and one 30K run.

CAREER PATH: I started of
More about Marita A. Hansen...

Broken Lives (4 books)
  • Shattered Poetry (Broken Lives, #2)
  • Jagged Pill (Broken Lives, #3)
  • Love Stoned (Broken Lives, #4)

“I was not!”
“Liar. You even did it during detention.”
5 likes
“All it did was work me up even more, until I had to relieve it one way or another, preferably through sex. And I knew it was only going to get worse if I didn’t do something about it, blue-balls the least of my worries, my bipolar disorder like a bitch in heat.” 3 likes