Start by marking “Los Nefilim (Los Nefilim #1-3)” as Want to Read:
Los Nefilim (Los Nefilim #1-3)

Los Nefilim

(Los Nefilim #1-3)

Three brilliant novellas. One fantastic story.

Collected together for the first time, T. Frohock’s three novellas—In Midnight’s Silence, Without Light or Guide, and The Second Death—brings to life the world of Los Nefilim, Spanish Nephilim that possess the power to harness music and light in the supernatural war between the angels and daimons. In 1931, Los Nefilim’s existen
Published April 26th 2016 by Harper Voyager

To ask other readers questions about Los Nefilim, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Los Nefilim

Start your review of Los Nefilim (Los Nefilim #1-3)
Laura Hughes
May 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
RIGHT NOW is a phenomenal time to be a fan of speculative fiction. Seriously: there’s an insane amount of amazing SFF writers in today’s market, and the modern fantasy reader is spoilt for choice with a selection that would leave Mr. Norrell gobsmacked and which would - if it were all edible - satisfy even Dudley ‘Big D’ Dursley.

But it’s sadly inevitable (inedible, too – sorry Dudders) that for every Mark Lawrence or Robin Hobb there are a thousand other writers striving to make a name for thems
Graham Austin-King
Apr 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Los Nefilim is a collection of three novellas, though the story reads so well it combines almost seamlessly into a novel. Frohock has produced a masterwork here, weaving a tale of the offspring of angels and daimons and their struggle in the human realm. The story is set in 1930's Spain and Frohock draws the reader in with ease as the protagonist struggles with his unique heritage of both angel and daimon along with a personal upheaval within his relationship with his partner.

Her worldbuilding
Marielle
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books-own
I loved it!
I will certainly look into other books written by T. Frohock.
Ash | Wild Heart Reads
Five reason to read this this masterpiece:

1. An enchanting mix of elements
Los Nefilim is a perfect blend of the fantastical and the real. Set in 1930’s Spain, it follows Diago as he battles to find his place as both angels and daimons vie for his loyalty or try to take it by force. There’s mystery and angelic battles and dark magic. There’s an old school vibe/glam to it that draws you in. It doesn’t fit squarely in one genre and it’s perfect for it.

2. Engrossing without hopelessness
Los Nefilim d
T. Frohock
Oct 06, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
If you enjoy the Los Nefilim omnibus, the first Los Nefilim novel, Where Oblivion Lives is available now, and the second novel in the series, Carved from Stone and Dream is coming February 2020--watch for them ... ...more
A.M. Kuska
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a well written and exciting series of novellas. While it is mostly adventure, there is a gay romance theme that runs through it. I don't normally care for any kind of m/m, but I loved how there was more character building and relationship than rolling around in bed. It's truly refreshing.
Bart
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating: 5.00

I bought these novella's as an ebook this year, but they were so amazingly good, I had to have them in hard copy to fit with the upcoming new books.
Kitvaria Sarene
3 stars for the beginning, 5 stars for the end and 4 stars for the middle.

I had a hard time getting into this one. It started with a slow pace and felt like not much was happening. Also the timeframe and setting took me a while to settle into.

Once I found my way into the story, I was sucked into the world of the Nefilim and needed to know what happens next.

For my personal taste there was a bit much of a focus on emotions, feelings and bonds between family and friends - but that is purely due to
Joel
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An omnibus of one of my favorite series ever.
THE BIBLIOPHILE (Rituranjan)
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
A beautifully written story with delightful twists of thrill that will leave the readers wanting for more. I immensely enjoyed Frohock's world of angels, demons, and the nephilim. This is supernatural fantasy with a delicate finesse that balances action, character development, the ethical and existential consciousness that lies beneath the surface of all great stories. This is marketed as an omnibus edition of three novellas, but, in my opinion they are three parts of the same book, and hence I ...more
Christine Sandquist (eriophora)
This review and others can be read on my blog, Black Forest Basilisks.

This was my second time reading this novella collection, and I have to say: it absolutely lived up to every wonderful memory of my first read. There were many small flourishes and touches that passed me by the first time, and it was a joy and a pleasure to notice and appreciate them this go around.

Up until I read Los Nefilim, I had never considered myself a fan of urban or historical fantasy. I’ve read and enjoyed a couple on
Saphirablue
Beth
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read the first two Los Nefilim novellas a couple of years ago. They work a lot better as a single story, since it is a single story split into three parts, with each part having its own arc and climactic battle.

The main character is Diago, a nefil who is part angel and part daimon. He potentially bears the magical powers of both, and as a result both angels and daimons want to recruit him to their cause--by coercion, if necessary. Diago ends up swearing himself to a group of nefil in Spain cal
Splodygirl
Aug 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm not usually a fan of a story that feels as though it brings you in right in the middle of itself. I'm a bit anal that way. I like a tidy beginning, a middle and an end. I wasn't always like this, mind, but as I got older I got a bit more hidebound.

Sometimes, though, you run into a story that blows right past all the stupid barriers that you put up, that determine what you like and what you don't. Los Nefilim was that story for me. I picked it up because I'm intrigued by the idea of Nefilim.
Hannah
Need more reviews to convince you? Take a look at the reviews for In Midnight's Silence, which makes up the first third of the book.

Los Nefilim is the print/combo edition of T. Frohock’s three novellas. I like being able to physically grip something where possible, so I was a holdout for the print edition. The novellas all function as standalone stories, but combined in a book, each flows into the next.

The writing quality’s improved by leaps and bounds since Miserere, but the themes of the darke
A.F.E. Smith
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
9/10

Reviewed all three Los Nefilim novellas for Fantasy-Faction: http://fantasy-faction.com/2016/hidde...

(10 = incredible, one of the best books I've ever read; 9 = read this book next; 8 = very good, you should read this pretty soon; 7 = one to add to your TBR. With so many books to choose from, I don't anticipate reviewing anything for FF that goes lower than a 7!)
keikii Eats Books
To read more reviews in this series and others, check out keikii eats books!

96 points, 5 STARS!
LGBT Themes
Warning: Topics of Nonconsent

I have no idea how anyone could have read the novellas without needing more at the end of each one. I read this as the omnibus, and I'm so glad I didn't have to read them one at a time, because I would have lost my mind. I was already tripping over my own eyes trying to read more and more, faster and faster. I couldn't put this down at all.

I put off reading Los N
Shan( Shans_Shelves) 💜
Ailsa
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There are no words that can adequately describe the amount of love I have for these stories and characters. I am just...
Mitch
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I will start this off as I am a straight male. I hate romance in books, because it is usually pretty cringe inducing regardless of sexual orientation. I won't lie that I was dreading that aspect of this book a lot, but the glowing reviews by people I follow made me give a shot.

There is a lot of action and this series moves very quickly. I loved the lore and it is unlike anything I have come across. The romance in this book was very well handled. It was tender and felt authentic. I think that is
Helen Lowe
Los Nefilim is the series title for three linked and chronologically sequential novellas by my friend and fellow author, Teresa Frohock. The three individual titles are:

In Midnight’s Silence
Without Light or Guide
The Second Death

I am not quite sure how to tag this series in genre terms. In many ways it’s paranormal urban fantasy, except the urban environment is Barcelona and the year is 1931, on the eve of the Spanish Civil War. So in that sense it’s historical fantasy, where Spain’s descent
J.
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved the suave and sleepy feel of the setting in these stories, serving as a backdrop to tense action. I hope I get to read more in this world!
Simon Ellberger
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the omnibus edition of three novellas that form a single continuous story: “In Midnight’s Silence,” “Without Light or Guide,” and “The Second Death.” I’ve already provided individual reviews for each, and I gave all of them a five-star rating. I see no need for another general review, as the original ones should suffice, and unlike the premise of “The Second Death” I want to avoid overkill, other than to mention that I liked the series well enough to repurchase it in this omnibus format.
Adrianne
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This collection of 3 novellas work together as a complete novel. It starts slowly, but it was worth the work to get into it. Frohock does a masterful job with feelings of guilt, betrayal, and redemption all at a high tension break-neck pace. I can only hope there will be more stories with these characters.
David H.
This is technically a reread as I've read all three novellas when they first came out 3-4 years ago. One of many things I loved about these stories was the historical setting (partly because I loved Ruiz Zafón's The Shadow of the Wind so much), and I just found this whole world of angels and daimons and nefilim to be fascinating. I'm also amused that certain scenes actually had less page time in reality than in my mind on a reread--sometimes they have such an impact that I remember them as being ...more
Abi Walton
Mar 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
A great for my new commute into work. A book I frequently got lost into on the Tube and was very thankful for it. I have read this series backwards as I started with Where Oblivion Lies and the Curved from Stone and Dream and now I'm starting from the beginning with the Los Nefilim Novellas.
I loved the Diago Angst (we all know that is why I am here).
The Los Nefilim series is a superbly dark and atmospheric series set in Barcelona in the 1930's which shows us the eternal conflict between angels
Maša
Nefilim are children of humans and angels, or human and demons, or both. Their magic rises from the use of music, and concerning their parentage, they have some unique abilities. Diago is both demonic and angelic in nature, which makes him a pawn in angelic and demonic power struggles. Can Diago get some peace, and come to peace with himself?

I accidentally read the fourth book in the series, and came back to this three novels. They are also excellent, if a bit short and less atmospheric - there
Jack Teng
Jun 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Excellently written! Set in one of the most fascinating times of Spanish history
Sarah Wright
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4/5 stars — resonant characters in a well-researched historical setting

Los Nefilim is a compilation of the three novellas from the series of the same name by T. Frohock. (The novellas form a narrative arc, so I'll refer to them as a unit.) The story follows Diago Alvarez, a descendant of angels and daimons who inherited some of the powers of each. In an attempt to protect his family from the growing conflict between both supernatural parties, Diago reluctantly joins Los Nefilim, an organization
Jessica Strider
Feb 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Pros: great relationships, tight plots

Cons: not enough background!

Several years ago Diago had a short "affair" with an angel, a betrayal he hid from his husband. Now another angel threatens to kill his husband if he doesn’t sacrifice the son he didn’t know existed to a daimon.

This is a collection of 3 novellas dealing with Diago, his husband Miquel, and his son, Rafael and how the Nephilim (offspring of humans and either angels or daimons) interact with each other. The stories take place within

• Silver in the Wood (The Greenhollow Duology, #1)
  • The House in the Cerulean Sea
  • Prosper's Demon
  • 魔道祖师 [Mo Dao Zu Shi]
  • Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City
  • The Sword of Kaigen
  • The Monster of Elendhaven
  • The Killing Light (The Sacred Throne, #3)
  • The Henchmen of Zenda
  • The Warrior Moon (Their Bright Ascendency #3)
  • The Tiger's Daughter (Their Bright Ascendency, #1)
  • The Outside
  • Jade War (The Green Bone Saga, #2)
  • A Lush and Seething Hell: Two Tales of Cosmic Horror
  • False Value (Rivers of London, #8)
  • The Haunting of Tram Car 015
  • The Phoenix Empress (Their Bright Ascendency, #2)
  • Deposing Nathan
Website is at tfrohock.com

T. Frohock has turned a love of history and dark fantasy into tales of deliciously creepy fiction. A real-life cyborg, T has a cochlear implant, meaning she can turn you on or off with the flick of a switch. Make of that what you will. She currently lives in North Carolina, where she has long been accused of telling stories, which is a southern colloquialism for lying.

Los Nefilim (6 books)
  • In Midnight's Silence (Los Nefilim, #1)
  • Without Light or Guide (Los Nefilim, #2)
  • The Second Death (Los Nefilim, #3)
  • Where Oblivion Lives (Los Nefilim, #4)
  • Carved from Stone and Dream (Los Nefilim, #5)
  • A Song with Teeth