Start by marking “Sisters and Lies” as Want to Read:
Sisters and Lies

Sisters and Lies

One hot August night, Rachel Power gets the call everyone fears. It's the police. Her younger sister Evie's had a car crash, she's in a coma. Can Rachel fly to London right away? With Evie injured and comatose, Rachel is left to pick up the pieces of her sister's life. But it's hard fitting them together, especially when she really doesn't like what she sees. Why was Evie ...more
Published March 24th 2016 by Penguin Ireland

To ask other readers questions about Sisters and Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sisters and Lies

Dem
Mar 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Siaters and Lies by Bernice Barrington was an enjoyable read with a good, if not original, storyline. Contains loads of suspense, family drama’s, mystery but just too repetitive at times and a little bit too twee. The characters are well drawn but I found Rachel in particular a very frustrating character. A successful career person who was well travelled, determined and very capable yet on the other hand, made ridiculous hasty decisions and buried her head in the sand for most of the story.
Overa
sue
Mar 04, 2016 rated it really liked it

The story in this book is a well thought out plot, its full of suspense, mystery and family drama, however, the downside to me was the repetitiveness of some things that did grate on my nerves at times as I saw no need to keep going over the same things, a reader has the vision and memory to remember such events or happenings, afterall, reading is about memory.

That being said, the characters in this book were strong, well thought out and developed and the author did a fantastic job in making the
Margaret Madden
Dec 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A phone call we all dread. Someone you love has been in an accident and clings on to life in a hospital bed. A heart-stopping moment that usually leads to unanswered questions, uncovered secrets and discovery of truths.
Rachel and Evie are sisters, but have not much in common. Rachel is a successful, published author while Evie is stuck in a mind-numbing office based job, with no prospects. When Rachel receives a call from the police telling of her sister's accident, she begins a journe
Lexxie (un)Conventional Bookworms
This review was originally posted on (un)Conventional Bookviews
Sisters and Lies is both tender and harsh, mysterious and sweet, nostalgic and filled with hope. A good story that kept me turning the pages, never fully guessing what was going on.

Review - (un)Conventional Bookviews

Sisters and Lies was well done, especially the psychological thriller aspect of the story. Evie and Rachel both had chapters told from their perspective, which made everything more chilling, as Evie was in a coma for most of it! Rachel had a lot going on
Liz Barnsley
Sisters and Lies is a great combination of family drama, mystery and romance – the mystery element feeding into the rest, with some great characters and an intriguing vibe throughout.

Rachel is desperately trying to uncover the truth behind the accident that put her Sister into a coma – meanwhile in the hospital, Evie is alert within her own mind and struggling to make sense of it herself..

There is a lovely flow to this – as we hear from both Rachel and Evie, start to understand something of thei
Karen
Feb 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sisters Rachel and Evie are not as close as they could be, especially following their mother’s death and it is only after Evie is involved in a car crash and lying in a coma that Rachel realises there is so much about her sister’s life that she doesn’t know. The more she delves into Evie’s life, the more lies and secrets she uncovers – it was unclear whether Evie was even driving the car at the time. Nobody seems to know what happened and the police seem to be unconcerned about any suspicious ci ...more
Clare
Listened to in audio format.

Author Rachel Darcy had just returned to Ireland after a book tour. Hours later she found out her younger sister Evie who lived in London had crashed her car and was now in a coma.

When Rachel arrived in London she expected to stay in the house Evie shared with her best friend Janet. Rachel was shocked to find Janet no longer lived there and had been replaced by Rachel's new boyfriend entrepreneur Donnagh Flood.

Rachel had only been out of the country for a few weeks an
Trish at Between My Lines
This review was originally posted on [Between My Lines]
Green Giants is my feature where I share some of my favourite books by Irish Authors.   I’m passionate about Irish Authors, they supply us with an entertaining and exciting mix of books, hopefully you will find something new to try.  Today I'm featuring Sisters and Lies by Bernice Barrington which kept me up late reading and reading until I had uncovered every last twist!

Green Giants Logo

Sisters and Lies was a well-paced book set around two sisters who don
Suze Lavender
Mar 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Rachel and Evie grew up in Ireland, but Evie is now living in London. When Rachel gets a phone call from the police she travels there straight away. Evie crashed her boyfriend's car and is now in a coma. Only Evie doesn't drive and Rachel thought she was single. Slowly she starts to retrace her sister's steps. She tries to find out more about her sister's life, so she can discover the cause of the crash. Evie had a lot of secrets and Rachel wonders how well she actually knows her sister. What ha ...more
Chava
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook
Too long and the audiobook wasn't great quality
Louise
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
I got an 'advance review copy' of Sisters & Lies and overall I enjoyed this novel. It was a book that I kept going backwards and forward on. This debut definitely shows promise. It was at times page turning and enjoyable. The characters of both sisters overlapped a little, and the story could have been told in a shorter frame with less repetition, but that goes down to editing. I would certainly read another book by this author as there were good things there, which is why I've given this no ...more
aprilla
Jan 15, 2017 rated it did not like it
tried, tried hard.... could not continue. Might try it again some other time, might not.
Lynn Mccarthy
Jun 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Characters in this book were well thought out.
Rachel's sister is in a coma following an accident the police seem to think it was an attempted suicide she drove into a wall at speed and the weather was good.
While Evie is lying in a coma she tries to warn her sister of hidden dangers she can hear people in the room but can not protect herself or her sister.
Rachel tries to piece things together but nothing makes sense.
Good book full of twists and suspense good ending also.

Helen Carolan
Mar 06, 2016 rated it did not like it
this is a storyline that's been done many timesbefpre and much better. Rachel comesto London after sister Evie is injured in a crash. Que lots of secrets and a mysterious boyfriend and an ending that i guessed at the very start.this was pretty bad. will not be reading anymore of this author anytime soon
Renita D'Silva
Jan 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Poignant and heartbreaking
Suzanne Rogerson
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
Although slow at times and based on a seemingly ordinary plot, I really liked how this story built and dragged you into the lives of sisters, Rachel and Evie.
Listening to it on audio, I loved the accents of the narrators and can still hear the characters in my head almost a week after finishing it.

A very enjoyable book, which I'm afraid this short review isn't doing justice.
I highly recommend this thriller, especially in audio.
Richard Allen
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Another woman in a coma mystery...
Nessa
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
I thoroughly enjoyed listening to this story, which was very engaging and me guessing throughout as to how it would all end.

I thought it was a very well written and the characters were all well developed.

I was fairly surprised by the ending and thought it was done well.
Amanda
Feb 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Writer Rachel returns from a successful book tour to unwelcome news: her younger sister Evie is in a coma as a result of a car crash. Rachel pieces together Evie's more recent life, finding it to be very different from what Evie had been telling her. The story is told from two points of view, that of Rachel who is worried about Evie, heartbroken after a recent split from her husband and confused about elements of Evie's life previous to the crash. Evie is coming to the surface of consciousness a ...more
Aisling
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book has soul.
What a fantastic debut novel by Bernice Barrington. A real page turner with well developed and realistic characters.
The plot is enthralling throughout and the way in which mental illness - from its most basic to severest form - is expressed and analysed, provides the reader with a genuine opportunity to better understand the issue. Really looking forward to the next instalment!
Melanie Lewis
Jan 30, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: audible-books
If this book had the strap line, two sisters do a great deal of navel gazing and introspection, then I wouldn't have bought it. But it was sold as a psychological thriller, which it isn't. I'd worked out the end by about the 5th chapter and continued listening to see how the author would justify calling this a psychological thriller. She doesn't. The whole thrill is unbelievably contrived and just a bit soppy. More for readers who enjoyed 'Eat, Pray, Love'. Not for me
Cora Moore
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
All the f.. words just don't do it for me.
Nicola Richardson
Mar 14, 2017 rated it liked it
A bit too obvious from the beginning, not enough twists.
Merryll
Oct 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Audiobook. I enjoyed this book although a few minor discrepancies noted in continuity. The girl's accident happened in a Porsche but the owner was previously said to own an Audi!???
Katie Thompson
May 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Pretty good and fast read! I can see why it was one of the only options of an English section in a Chinese bookstore because it isn't good enough to know everyone has read or heard the story, but was still a great read. It does keep you guessing about who the culprit is, while leading up to a conclusion I for one didn't see coming.
cg
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
This was another audiobook I heard while on vacation, and while it started rather slowly, it ended up being rather good! I did enjoy the past day -present day back and forth, since it was easy to understand what the author hoped to accomplish. I will be looking to read/listen to more by this author.
Clare
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
It got better, but the beginning and writing style jumped too much to thriller with no real reason and that lessened my enjoyment. It felt like the author was deliberating trying to create a tension that the action until that point didn't justify.
The characters got much more interesting in the final quarter of the model though.
Lisa
Mar 03, 2018 rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars. Not awful but not great either. I found it hard to separate the two voices of Rachel and Eve and there wasn't really any sense of tension and suspense until the very end. It all just muddled along for the most part and the part about Rachel just happening to know a private detective in America seemed far too convenient and far-fetched.
Mary
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
never read this author before but omg what a good book. only parts I found hard were the suicide bits. so well written so many twists and turns I really couldn't have good the ending just totally amazing
Nicky Mottram
Audio version of this book- listened to 4hours but nothing happened! Gave up!!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • One Bad Turn (DS Claire Boyle #3)
  • One Click
  • The Domino Killer (Joe & Sam Parker #3)
  • The Book of Love
  • With Our Blessing (Inspector Tom Reynolds, #1)
  • Why Seagulls Roost in Paris
  • Little Bones (Cathy Connolly, #1)
  • Shame On You
  • After I Left You
  • A Time for Friends
  • The American Girl
  • The Things I Should Have Told You
  • Day of the Accident
  • The Secrets We Share
  • Vi ses i morgen (Teksas-serien, #1)
  • Bitter Fruits (DI Erica Martin, #1)
  • Dead Eyed (DCI Michael Lambert, #1)
  • What Happened to Us?