Start by marking “Wolf Hollow” as Want to Read:
Wolf Hollow

Wolf Hollow

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  14,668 ratings  ·  2,905 reviews
Growing up in the shadows cast by two world wars, Annabelle has lived a mostly quiet, steady life in her small Pennsylvania town. Until the day new student Betty Glengarry walks into her class. Betty quickly reveals herself to be cruel and manipulative, and while her bullying seems isolated at first, things quickly escalate, and reclusive World War I veteran Toby becomes a ...more
Hardcover, deckle edge, 304 pages
Published May 3rd 2016 by Dutton Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Wolf Hollow, please sign up.
Cathy I work in a public library system and here is is catalogued as YA. I think it is definitely for MS and up as the story can be disturbing and also the…moreI work in a public library system and here is is catalogued as YA. I think it is definitely for MS and up as the story can be disturbing and also the historical context would be beyond most kids in younger grades. I enjoyed it as an adult.(less)
Onalee Smith Many people in the Publishing industry receive early manuscripts or ARCs before the hardcover or paperback edition is officially for sale.

·  14,668 ratings  ·  2,905 reviews

Lola
Annabelle is one of the most realistic, relatable middle grade heroines I have met in a very long time.

Usually, I don’t exactly expect to relate to middle grade heroes and heroines. I know that that period of my life has come and gone, and while I still believe myself young at heart, I only expect from those characters to charm me and maybe impress me in some way.

Annabelle did more than that. She is so real and true, and maybe a little naïve, but I couldn’t help but see myself in her. I guess
Wendy Darling
3.5 stars I liked most of this book very much. Set during World War II, it's the story of Annabelle, whose idyllic farm life and friendship with an older war veteran named Toby is threatened when a bully (view spoiler) named Betty moves into town.

Things I enjoyed: the rural Pennsylvania setting, Annabelle's family (particularly her parents), the friendship with Toby, and the explanation behind the title Wolf Hollow, which is also the name of the town. My favor
Betsy
Melki
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
"A wolf is not a dog and never will be," he said, "no matter how you raise it."

There is a girl, a bully, a family and a loner.

Bad things happen.

There is fear, and strength, false accusations, and true affection.

Sad things happen.

Above all, there is grace in the presence of utter cruelty.
Karina
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!! A story about bullies and being a decent human being. I'd recommend to YAs and adults alike. Wolk weaved a wonderful story from beginning to end... This was her debut and I must say a very good one. I recently read Beyond the Bright Sea and it doesn't compare to this..
Brandy Painter
I almost want to start a whole new shelf just for this "middle-grade-except-not-really".

Yes, it is yet another much hyped and lauded MG book of 2016 I don't like. It will be easy for many to dismiss me as simply having a contrary year, but really why the love for this book in the kidlit world? It is extremely well written. It is not a book for children though. I'm not saying this in a way that means "teacher book" like I would call Pax or that it's like a Pixar movie in book form like I would ca
Sara Grochowski
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
WOLF HOLLOW is a masterfully written, moving story set in the shadow of World War II about a young girl named Annabelle who must stand strong when confronted by a manipulative tyrant. When Annabelle rebuffs the demands of the local bully, Betty Glengarry, she unintentionally shifts the attention of the Betty's dark schemes unto the solitary World War I veteran Toby. When Betty goes missing, the town immediately suspects Toby of wrongdoing. Annabelle, certain that the gentle, scarred Toby would n ...more
Destinee Sutton
I really loved this book. It's gorgeously written, full of wisdom, and hard to put down. The thing is, I'm not entirely convinced it's a children's book. Someone told me the author originally imagined it being marketed to adults but she was persuaded to turn it into a middle grade novel. Even if that's not true, it seems true. Like The Catcher in the Rye and To Kill a Mockingbird, this book is complex enough for any adult, but happens to follow the experiences of a young person. Does that in its ...more
Calista
I know one should never judge a book by it's cover, yet I saw the title and the cover and I knew I wanted to read this. I had no idea what it would be about. I thought it might be a fantasy story. It was so much more than I expected and so deep.

This is set in the 40s during the war. Annabeth lives in a small farm town in Pennsylvania where life is idyllic. Then a girl her age moves in named Betty. Betty is one of those people that only want to see the world burn. She is a leaf from the page of
Susan Berlin
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wolf Hollow is the kind of book where, with about 20 pages left to read, you start hoping there's a sequel because you don't want it to end. Extremely well-written, not a single unnecessary word, no fat to trim. Suspenseful, intriguing and compelling all the way through. A very good read!
*Swaroop*
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
A beautifully simple yet emotionally intense and deep, well-written story!

Set in 1943, this is the story of 11-year-old Annabelle.

A nice book to read. Indeed, a goodread!
Laura Harrison
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
I just reread Wolf Hollow and feel like I have to revise my initial opinions. They were mostly based on the authors writing skill which is apparent. The descriptions in Wolf Hollow are extensive and well researched. I'm not so sure that writing children's books, however, is where her talent lies. As an extensive reader of children's books (part of my career), I am somewhat of an expert on sad, depressing children's titles. Some years ago we were inundated by them. Don't get me started on Kira-Ki ...more
Lori Tatar
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading Wolf Hollow by Lauren Wolk and must say that it is one of the best coming-of-age stories I have ever read. It can be shelved proudly alongside others like The Outsiders, To Kill a Mockingbird and Where the Red Fern Grows, a few of my favorites. It illustrates how sometimes even doing the right thing isn't neccesarily the best thing, and the most important decisions are seldom the easiest. It also shows that sometimes, regardless of our actions and intentions, we can only ...more
Beverly
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great young adult book about bullies and knowing who you are.
Jessica
A hard look at the way we treat others: strangers, friends, and family, set against the backdrop of a small farm community during WWII. A tragic book, not maudlin or unnecessarily grim, but definitely not a cheerful story. I have heard nothing but praise for it, even before the Newbery Honor, and I hope it continues to hold people's attention, because it should be widely read.
Victoria Scott
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully raw novel for all ages. One of those stories that whisks you away to another time and place, and makes you feel love, hate, and a rainbow of emotions in between. Splendid!
Kayla Overbey
May 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
[No spoilers] This is not a happy book. What did I like most about it? It tackled some really heavy topics, such as death, depression and mental illness, and bullying. And the cover - that cover is gorgeous.

What did I NOT like about it?
1) It didn't feel like it was set in the 1940s. The setting felt older than that to me.
2) Those heavy topics weren't really fleshed out enough for my liking or well enough to explain to kids. I can't imagine reading this as a child and understanding what Toby'
FOOD'n'BOOKS
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it

Well! I was surprised by this book. Picked up this book because a lot of other people i knew were reading it and someone recommended it(well a few). At first i was thinking that it was going to be a soft book with a reasonable dilemma but toned down from its reality. This book was NOT THAT.

This book "stars" a young girl named Annabelle. She lives on a rural farm in a town in WWII era Pennsylvania. She meets Betty, a wonderful little girl, who is nothing but a BULLY. I couldn't figure out from t
Zane Jones
May 22, 2018 rated it did not like it
I am extremely disappointed. For a lot of reasons.

I'm disappointed that this kind of book is put in the children's section at the library. I'm disappointed that the story was so dark and disturbing. I'm even disappointed that the story didn't live up to the pretty cover.

This is NOT a book I would EVER recommend to children. Ever, ever, ever. It makes me cringe to think of my little sister reading this - I would never give this to her. It was hard for me to read as a sixteen-year-old.

The writin
Danielle
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade-ya
This book is gripping and masterfully written. It distresses and surprises. It will break your heart while expanding it.

"At times, I was so confused that I felt like the stem of a pinwheel surrounded by whir and clatter, but through that whole unsettling time I knew that it simply would not do to hide in the barn with a book and an apple and let events plunge forward without me..."

These were fitting lines of a first chapter to read in November of 2016.
Teresa
I have a favorite bookstore at the beach. They are always well stocked and have a staff that is extremely well read. In fact, one of my favorite aspects of this shop is their "Staff Recommendations" sections in the front of the store. I had gone into the shop this spring looking for a new YA book that I had on my list and one of the sales clerks overheard me asking at the front desk, ran to the back of the store and came back with this book. She was a very quiet, shy young girl and yet her enthu ...more
Scott Fillner
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
AMAZING book! I am definitely not the first to call it, but will echo many of the voices I have heard, which have said this is a Newbery contender.

The story and the character development was so well done. You instantly fall in love, out of favor, and are so unsure what to make of characters in this novel. By the end, it all becomes clear to you, but not all emotion will be resolved for you (at least it hasn't yet for me). The story itself is so original and will have you literally devouring your
Rikke
4.5 stars. This one was a nice surprise. I wasn't exactly sure what to expect, because I never read the description, I just liked the cover. As it turns out, I enjoyed it very much. Probably even more so, because I went in clueless. I just read the description now, and I doubt I would've enjoyed the story as much, had I known all the spoily bit in it.

There's something nostalgic about it, and it's so well-told. It's cruel too, and kinda gorgeous. I loved the setting, and the appalling villain ma
Sara
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book made me very angry. Then it made me so, so sad. I cried. It is one of the best books I have ever read. 5 stars aren't enough.
Leo Walsh
I will not rate Lauren Wolk's Wolf Hollow, since I'm well outside its target market, but it tells a deep, profound story I am sure many intelligent middle school readers will benefit much from. The style is stark and easy to read, reminding me of Hemingway. It's set in Appalachian Pennsylvania in the 1940's, and includes elements that contemporary readers may find shocking. For instance, there were both cars and horses in use. And, despite FDR's push for rural electrification, having electricity ...more
Elizabeth☮
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Set in the countryside of Pennsylvania during the second world war, Annabelle's life is turned upside down when Betty comes to town. Betty is a bully of the worst kind: everyone believes her and can't see past the façade.

Annabelle is friends with enigmatic Toby - he is former soldier that is suffering from what can only be PTSD. Toby lives on the periphery of the town and so is automatically an outcast, but Annabelle's family always shows him kindness.

The story goes in a direction that has the
Tamsyn
This book was fantastic start to finish. The writing, the story, interesting, sympathetic or repugnant characters, good storytelling. Loved it. (The cover is beautiful too.) Read the 1-page prologue and you will be hooked! Top of my Newbery list at the moment.
Stacey
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Profound. I still don't know how a brand new book can feel like such a classic story.

I have only one description for this book: To Kill a Mockingbird & Of Mice and Men meet Children's Literature.
Megan Agee
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, read-in-2019
This was an amazing story! Just a little too depressing for me...
Ms. Yingling
May 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
ARC from Baker and Taylor

Annabelle lives in a small, rural town in Pennsylvania in 1943. Her school is crowded, but she shares a desk with her friend Ruth, who is quiet and pleasant, much like Annabelle's life. When Betty Glengarry moves to town to be raised by her grandparents, that changes. Betty waits for Annabelle on her walk home, and demands money or things, and hits Annabelle when she stands up to her and refuses to give her anything. Betty also threatens Annabelle's younger brothers, and
Youth Lit Book Di...: Wolf Hollow Discussion 1 3 Nov 14, 2018 06:08PM

• The Parker Inheritance
  • The Paper Cowboy
  • Some Kind of Courage
  • Lifeboat 12
  • Freedom Over Me: Eleven Slaves, Their Lives and Dreams Brought to Life by Ashley Bryan
  • Finding Langston
  • One Came Home
  • The War I Finally Won (The War That Saved My Life, #2)
  • The Best Man
  • Clayton Byrd Goes Underground
  • Caminar
  • The Truth as Told by Mason Buttle
  • Dear Hank Williams
  • Chasing Secrets
  • Revolution (The Sixties Trilogy, #2)
Lauren Wolk is an award-winning poet and author of the bestselling Newbery Honor–winning Wolf Hollow, described by the New York Times Book Review as "full of grace and stark, brutal beauty." She was born in Baltimore and has since lived in California, Rhode Island, Minnesota, Canada, and Ohio. She now lives with her family on Cape Cod.
“And I decided that there might be things I would never understand, no matter how hard I tried. Though try I would.

And that there would be people who would never hear my one small voice, no matter what I had to say.

But then a better thought occurred, and this was the one I carried away with me that day: If my life was to be just a single note in an endless symphony, how could I not sound it out for as long and as loudly as I could? (p228)”
14 likes
“The year I turned twelve, I learned that what I said and what I did mattered. So much, sometimes, that I wasn't sure I wanted such a burden. But I took it anyway, and I carried it as best I could.” 11 likes