Start by marking “The Blackbirds” as Want to Read:
The Blackbirds

The Blackbirds

They call themselves the Blackbirds. Kwanzaa Browne, Indigo Abdulrahaman, Destiny Jones, and Ericka Stockwell are four best friends who are closer than sisters and will go to the ends of the earth for one another. Yet even their deep bond can't heal all wounds from their individual pasts, as the collegiate and post-collegiate women struggle with their own demons, drama, an ...more
Published April 19th 2016 by Dutton

Monica **can't read fast enough**
BLACKBIRDS follows four African American women through their journey to find what they want and need in love and life. Dickey does a good job making his characters feel like real people who happen to be in unique situations. The first of the Blackbirds, Indigo, has two romantic relationships with men (one present and one almost in the past) who are both unfaithful, and she still attempts to play one against the other. She claims to be a strong woman who will only love and eventually marry a stro ...more
Edward Lorn
Aug 04, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book was great for the first 100 pages. I laughed, I rooted for characters, I got involved. And then something happened. The dialogue became predictable and cliched, to the point that I was finishing characters' sentences before I finished reading their lines. I finally just gave up. Shame too, that cover is sexy af.
Reading in Black & White
Reading The Blackbirds was like going on a 500 page journey with my closest girlfriends. Four women. Four experiences. Four backstories. One bond. A true sisterhood.

"I've traveled. I have BFF's. I've faced my biggest fears. I've lived alone. I'm independent. I made the first move on a man I wanted to be with. I've challenged myself. I've gotten fit."

Some folks prefer when EJD writes about Gideon. Some folks prefer when EJD writes sensual, sexy stories. Some folks say his style has changed and t
Sophie Sealy
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Bravo @EricJDickey, your best book thus far. I took my time and absorbed every emotion known to man. I saw me in the story. I felt me in the story. At times this story mirrored my story. A story or friendships and relationships and I am so glad I did not rush through it. I couldn't even if I wanted to.

Although these characters have appeared in the past, this book could be read as a standalone. Questions will be answer when the time is right. The writer style is to give the characters dimensions
Ezinwanyi
Mar 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Eric Jerome Dickey has a powerful command in the portrayal of relationships. This new story is no different then his other books. His characters was very relatable and the story was emotionally gripping. I laughed at some parts, shook my head sometimes and I cried at parts. This book was like Sex and the City or Girlfriends. This plot revolved around a sisterhood featuring Kwanzaa Browne, Destiny Jones, Ericka Stockwell and Indigo Abdulrahaman. These best friends have seen each other through var ...more
Mathis Bailey
Jul 14, 2016 rated it liked it
This was a crazy read. These four beautiful black ladies did not play around. This book reminded me of a retelling of Waiting to Exhale with a modern twist. The writing was sexy, feisty and sassy. This novel was borderline erotica. If you don't like a lot of sex scenes, this novel isn't for you. It can get raunchy real quick. But it didn't bother me. It was well done. The ending fell flat for me though, which was very disappointing. I felt a lot of things weren't solved and tied together properl ...more
Didi
Jun 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: African-American erotica/urban fiction
The Blackbirds is the latest release from Eric Jerome Dickey, known for writing contemporary novels about African-American life. Naughtier than Nice, the sequel to Naughty or Nice and One Night, a standalone were the last two novels he published in 2015. For me, It’s been a while since I’ve read anything from him so I sort of knew what I was going to be getting into with this one. Exquisite cover, 400 plus pages, this is that “girlfriend book” that everybody has been anticipating this 2016. Cont ...more
J Beckett
Oct 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Quickly stated: A massive literary step backward for EJD. Not too uncommon for EJD. The story felt forced, overly sexual; as if written with little enthusiasm. Three stars only because it had familiar EJD moments. Storytelling genius greatly compromised for, possibly, another notch on the book release belt.
Candy
Jul 16, 2016 rated it did not like it
I really did not enjoy this book. It was unnecessarily long and I thought the ladies in the book were really immature. I found myself rolling my eyes at many of their repetitive antics and dialogue. It was just too much but not enough. I stuck it out and it became more interesting at the end but I was mad I had to get through 75 chapters before I found a little spark. I won't recommend.
Lulu
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
This was a 2.5 for me. This seems like EJD's version on "Waiting to Exhale". The story was really slow for me and a little too wordy, which i guess turned out ok because you were really able to see what each of the ladies were going through. I'm not really a fan of EJD, but this was ok. There really wasn't a plot, but I think that's what works for EJD.
Lekeisha The Booknerd
Mar 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
A little long, but great story. Full RTC!
Tiffany
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
EJD! Is it you? I used to love Eric Jerome Dickey and his works when I was younger. His writing style is still very elevated as far as words and descriptions and his massive vocabulary, but having said that this book did not go well for me.

The Blackbirds is the story of four African American women and friends. The story is broken up into four sections - one section for each "blackbirds" birthday. And so begins the DRAMA! That is what this book was. This book was like an episode of The Real Hous
Michael Bell
Aug 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have a love hate relationship with EJD books. One Night was a clunker. The Blackbirds was fraught with emotional twists and turns. Mother and daughter estrangement. Sexual identity questions. I love the relationships of Destiny, Erica, Indigo and Kwanzaa. Infidelity reared its head from an unlikely source. Sexual assault and surviving it in the internet age was addressed also. It was an awesome summer read.
Les
Sometimes my book club exposes me to new authors or intriguing storylines.
Not this time.
In a word: NO. In another word: DON'T.
I feel smart for not having purchased it but embarrassed that it's on my official library record.
I was done on page 1 but genuinely tried through to page 160.
And at page 160, I felt stupid for making the effort - made my brain hurt, and not because I had to think too much. the book goes up to page 500 or so. But I couldn't tell you why this is necessary.
I'm sure some peop
Qeyta
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book is not what I thought. It was a long version of "Waiting To Exhale" with characters from previous writings of EJD.
Classy
May 09, 2018 rated it liked it
This is definitely EJD for the new generation.
Patricia
Jan 05, 2017 rated it did not like it
I do not know the audience for whom this smutty novel about four African American girlfriends was written, but I am definitely not the audience. The Blackbirds are Kwanzaa, Destiny Jones, Ericka Stockwell, and Indigo Abdulrahaman who are best friends and harmonize musically. The book segements are written around each of their birthdays.
I don't know if I am more offended by the graphic and endless narrative about their sexual exploits, organisms, blowjobs, anal sex, the taste of semen, lesbian s
Yuki
We certainly bond with each other in times of crisis or these times when we go through these big touchstone moments ... and when we bond, in those really important, pivotal, transitional moments in our lives, we’re really vulnerable and therefore we give each other an awful lot of information about ourselves. And therefore we make ourselves uniquely equipped to really damage each other. We know where each other’s soft spots are. - Elissa Schappell, on friendship.

A journey with four different wom
Shan
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Eric Jerome Dickey has been my favorite author for years. I love his rich and colorful writing style. His writing always makes his characters feel like home. I thoroughly enjoyed this read and the characters felt like friends of mine. At times, chapters seem to be a little too preachy and drawn out but it definitely did not take away from the read. I would highly recommend this one to EJD fans. My favorite character was Indigo.
Qiana
Jun 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
What caught my attention was the cover and then I read the book synopsis. I was willing to try something different and a new author. For me the only intriguing character was...the standoffish motorcycle rider- I think she had dreadlocks. Honestly I stopped reading at chapter 5, especially when I saw 80 plus chapters. I couldn't take it anymore. It felt like an endless conversation among friends.
Courtney
May 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Blackbirds was a good book we meet some new characters and are re-introduced to some old ones. These four woman are beautiful to everyone that comes in to contact with them but the private lives are a real mess. Lots of drama and a great EDJ book!
Richard Wagner
i had to quit this before i plucked out my eyes. this is so dreadful it's imaginable. ok, so it's clear that i'm not the target audience, but i thought Dickey's talent would shine through. alas.
Nazarene Static
Apr 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: shit-books
This book was 500 odd pages and maybe only 350 maybe 375 should have been the actual book.

The Blackbirds is about 4 girls; Indigo, Kwanzaa, Ericka, and Destiny. The book follow each of the girls through their birthdays as they face their personal demons through the power of friendship.

Indigo is a Nigerian American (I am only telling you this because it is the biggest deal in the book) who is having difficulties deciding what she wants in a relationship.
Kwanzaa (Note I don't remember her last n
Dorothy
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Eric Jerome Dickey is a MASTER storyteller. I loved this book. At first I didn’t think I’d be able to keep the four main characters clear in my mind but I quickly was able to follow their stories. I love how Eric Jerome Dickey weaves his fictional characters between books. (Thank you to the fans who clarified which books some of these characters were originally from). I’ve read almost all of his books, some in college, and I couldn’t pull these ladies from my memory bank.

I loved the friendship t
Kristy Daniels
The BlackBirds was a lengthy, poignant, and authentic novel about the friendship between four friends. The reader was able to follow the lives of all four ladies. The book was also centered around their birthdays as the BlackBirds did huge celebratory weekends whenever it was their birthdays. I got to ride along as betrayal, heartaches, newfound love, and illness touched their lives. EJD did a wonderful job capturing the female voice as well as strengths and struggles of being a single woman tod ...more
Carmen
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been a fan of EJD forever. I am amazed at his ability to write Blackbirds from the perspective of four different women and make the storyline both believable and relatable.

Normally, I whiz through books, but I wanted to take my time and really enjoy this novel. Dickey takes you on a journey each time he writes.

Indigo, Kwanzaa, Destiny, and Ericka have formed am admirable sisterhood, and it was refreshing to read. Each woman also has her own set of demons to battle. I am hoping there is a
Jessica Lee
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Phenomenal. Took my breath away.

Dickey's writing style took a while for me to get use to, but ultimately he wowed me with his plot twists and profound portrayal of the complexities and beauty of women and their relationships. This is a book that I definitely am glad I purchased and will definitely re-read.
Ka’leneReads
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
EJD is absolutely one of the Best with a Pen.....Highly Enjoyable
Oh Yeah, Greatess Plot Twisting Writer I've ever read.
Latiffany
May 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
Mic C
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I just finished reading this book and I thought i was a -ok. I could put it down but also wanted to finish it to see what happens. what stood out in my mind most was the book while evenly dispersed through characters, destiny's backstory was a heavy part of the book and if you havent read Chasing Destiny then i think the impact is less effective. I dont remember books that well after im done and on top of that I dont remember having read chasing destiny (im pretty convinced i havent) so while al ...more
  • Friends & Foes
  • Suspicions
  • What's Done in Darkness
  • Sinners & Saints
  • Pretty Girls in the VIP
  • Sexy Little Liar (The Misadventures of Mink LaRue, #2)
  • The Replacement Wife
  • Baby, You're the Best
  • Ain't Nobody's Business If I Do
  • Another Time, Another Place
  • The Choir Director 2: Runaway Bride
  • Every Woman's Dream
  • Lady Elect
Eric Jerome Dickey was born in Memphis, Tennessee and attended the University of Memphis (the former Memphis State), where he earned his degree in Computer System Technology. In 1983, he moved to Los Angeles to pursue a career in engineering.

After landing a job in the aerospace industry as a software developer, Eric Jerome Dickey's artistic talents surfaced, inspiring him to become an actor and a
“The path to love wasn't a smooth road. Love would show up while you were busy with another love, leaving you to decide.” 1 likes
“A man knows if he loves a woman in three months, if not three days, but what he desires in three hours, if that is all he desires, he should never get from you in three hundred years.” 0 likes