Start by marking “The Princess Diarist” as Want to Read:
The Princess Diarist

The Princess Diarist

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  46,367 ratings  ·  6,771 reviews
The Princess Diarist is Carrie Fisher’s intimate, hilarious and revealing recollection of what happened behind the scenes on one of the most famous film sets of all time, the first Star Wars movie.

When Carrie Fisher recently discovered the journals she kept during the filming of the first Star Wars movie, she was astonished to see what they had preserved—plaintive love po
Published October 18th 2016 by Blue Rider Press

To ask other readers questions about The Princess Diarist, please sign up.
Kristina I'm going to ignore the idea that a book containing sexual content or swearing is automatically not worthy of reading, because that is extremely…moreI'm going to ignore the idea that a book containing sexual content or swearing is automatically not worthy of reading, because that is extremely juvenile, but having just finished the book I'll say that there is actually VERY LITTLE swearing and very little discussion of drug use. As anyone who has followed Carrie Fisher knows, she did abuse drugs. But aside from a few mentions of it, and the "trippy" diary entry she obviously wrote while under the influence of something, the book is fairly PG. She doesn't discuss her sexual activities with Harrison (or anyone) in any specific detail. I've read YA books that were more R rated. The book is an excellent read if you have an ear for language and appreciate (and can identify with) her brutal self-perception and feelings of humiliation that the love affair caused her. (less)
Mathew Clemons I would say that as well. Either Memoir or Autobiography. It's not an autobiography of her entire life. It's more a memoir of her experience with the…moreI would say that as well. Either Memoir or Autobiography. It's not an autobiography of her entire life. It's more a memoir of her experience with the Star Wars phenomena. (less)

·  46,367 ratings  ·  6,771 reviews

Larry H
Dec 30, 2016 rated it liked it
"I had never been Princess Leia before and now I would be her forever. I would never not be Princess Leia. I had no idea how profoundly true that was and how long forever was."

I've got to tell you, it was really weird reading this book given the fact that both Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds died this week. There were more than a few times in this book where Fisher made reference to her obituary, her eulogy, or her mother, all of which made me even sadder than I already was.

That being said, I'
emma
DNF @ 48%

(but not a DNF like you think - no rating because i didn't finish it)

reading this book made me miss carrie fisher so much. it reads like you asked her to talk about her affair with harrison ford and she obliged, unfiltered, for hours. which is both wonderful and not exactly conducive to a book. but i miss her, so it works out.

i DNFed this when 2016-carrie fisher stopped and 1976-carrie fisher began. i'd read adult carrie fisher write about anything, but reading the diaries of a 19-year-
Hannah Greendale
Shortly before she died, Carrie Fisher discovered a collection of journals she'd written in 1976 while filming the first Star Wars movie. In The Princess Diarist, Fisher's 1976 journal entries are revealed, giving readers a private look at a confident, successful celebrity when she was just a naive, vulnerable young woman on the brink of stardom.

Perhaps this was a personal oversight, but the book jacket feels unintentionally misleading. It purports to offer a look at what happened on the set of
Brina
Apr 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoirs, celebrity, poetry
Last year before her passing, a number of Goodreads friends of mine posted that they were reading a new memoir in diary format written by Carrie Fisher. Upon finding out that Fisher had already authored four books and one memoir, I had my curiosity piqued. Having watched the original Star Wars trilogy so many times that I have the credits and most lines memorized, I was giddy to get my hands on Fisher's insightful, first hand look at the what went on behind the scenes of the most iconic movie in ...more
Alejandro
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography, humor, romance
Excellent reading!

IN MEMORIAM

It was a shock when the news of Carrie Fisher’s demise came out, especially when her movie career was getting a deserved second air in the new Star Wars trilogy (sequel to the events of the original trilogy).

Carrie Fisher did all her scenes for the incoming Episode VIII, so we’ll be able to see her one last time, and…

…due the advance in special effects, I have no doubt that we’ll have plenty enough of Princess Leia, even in the eventual Episode IX.

It was a bitte
Heidi The Hippie Reader
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoirs, non-fiction
Take a highly intelligent, anxiety prone girl, mix in the life changing, world wide phenomena that is Star Wars, and add a dash of handsome, introverted, and married leading man and you have: The Princess Diarist.

This is not really about Star Wars as much as it is about obsession and Carrie trying to figure out who she is. Though there are some tidbits sprinkled throughout: "And as much as I may have joked about Star Wars over the years, I liked that I was in those films. Particularly as the onl
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Y'all, I can't even talk about this right now.
Trudi
“If anyone reads this when I have passed to the big bad beyond I shall be posthumously embarrassed. I shall spend my entire afterlife blushing.”
Didn't we all feel this way about our diaries as hyper-dramatic, brooding adolescents, at the mercy of our raging hormones and our short-circuiting ever expanding neural pathways and vivid imaginations? Sure we did, those of us who bothered to "write it all out and down" (which I think tends to be more of a female act of expression, than male -- but I c

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

"I am someone who wants very much to be popular. I don't just want you to like me, I want to be one of the most joy-inducing human beings that you've ever encountered. I want to explode on your night sky like fireworks at midnight on New Year's Eve in Hong Kong" (47).

This is going to be a difficult book to review. I've never reviewed a book so close to the author's passing, and it was a sad and bittersweet experience - sad, because the worl
Matt
Feb 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
In the final of her short memoirs, Carrie Fisher turns her focus onto the inevitable Star Wars franchise and her memories from being on the set in 1976. As the book opens, Fisher lists a number of memorable occurrences from the year, all of which made the filming of a low-budget space fantasy film pale in comparison, or so it would seem. While she does not mention it explicitly, years of excessive drug use and electro-convulsive therapy (ECT) surely scrambled some of the memories and would make ...more
Mark
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
Well, I think this is going to be an unpopular opinion but although I read this book quickly I just could not get into it. Admittedly I was after a "behind the scenes of Star Wars" Carrie Fisher and with that in mind, I was way off the mark here.

This is Carrie's last written word before her sad passing - I am sure we all agree that the world lost a beautiful woman and a great talent on that day. What started out in the right direction for me soon became a laborious read. Carrie introduces us to
Cait • A Page with a View
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Hearing ANYTHING about Star Wars from Carrie was so wonderful. The overall writing is a bit hard to get through at times, but her voice really came through. And it was all sorts of emotional to hear her make so many references to "after her death."

So I really did enjoy hearing her thoughts, but didn't expect so much of the focus to be around her affair with Harrison. She basically recounts everything that happened from her perspective and includes journal entries from while they were filming the
K.
This book is effectively divided into three sections:

1. 2016 Carrie Fisher talks about starting out as an actress, getting cast as Princess Leia and her affair with Harrison Ford.
2. 1976 Carrie Fisher's diary entries made during her affair with Harrison Ford.
3. 2016 Carrie Fisher talks about her relationship with Harrison Ford post-affair and her struggles with being Leia over the course of the next 40 years, particularly when it comes to interacting with fans.

I loved all three sections, fran
Trina (Between Chapters)
Apr 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked that this book had a central theme, since most non-fiction tends to be a more sprawling narrative. It all revolves around Carrie's experience with Star Wars and what becoming and being knwon as Princess Leai meant to her. I listened to the audiobook and Carrie read it herself, which was kind of a heartbreaking experience because she often ponders what her legacy after her death will be. I, like so many, grew up with Star Wars so I really enjoyed hearing this story.
Sam Quixote
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
Apparently Carrie Fisher recently found the diaries she kept while filming the first Star Wars movie and has decided to publish them – how fortuitous given Star Wars is back!

It’s pretty thin on material for a memoir. The only really memorable piece of info is Fisher’s confirmation that she had an affair with her co-star, Harrison Ford, who was married at the time and 15 years her senior. I haven’t read any of Fisher’s previous memoirs so I can’t say whether she’s repeating herself here but I th
Lynx
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have a confession to make… I’m not a Star Wars fan. Ive seen them (the original three at least) and they were enjoyable but overall just not my thing. I am however a Carrie Fisher fan and I am so happy I picked this one up.

Those like me who have no emotional connection to Star Wars shouldn’t let that prevent them from reading this. This isn’t some romanticized reminiscence of the filming one of the most iconic movies of all time. What we have here is a brutally honest look at an insecure, 19 y
Kat
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-n
Wow, I really enjoyed reading this memoir by Star Wars actress Carrie Fisher, particularly her diary entries written when she was in her teens and filming Star Wars. She’s a funny writer regardless, and it was great that the audiobook was narrated by her personally!, but the entries penned by her back when she was young were absolutely amazing writing, very insightful psychologically and fascinating to read.

Please excuse typos/name misspellings. Entered on screen reader.
Sarah Churchill
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
What an incredible, complicated, witty, damaged, talented, creative, self-destructive and intelligent woman.
Bradley
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm not usually one to read memoirs or even a slice of a tiny and specific autobiography like this, but I was tempted both because of my sadness for her death and the fact that it was nominated for the Hugos this year.

That being said, I wasn't prepared for how much I enjoyed her quirky and excellent and witty writing, her unabashedly honest reveal about her on-set fling with Harrison Ford, or the nearly unbearably sweet and conflicted original diary, itself.

Don't go into this expecting a behind
Jenny (Reading Envy)
I was not a huge Carrie Fisher or Star Wars fan, in fact I only just watched Star Wars for the first time the year Episode VII came out. I didn't even know that Debbie Reynolds was her mother until she passed away.

That said, I think Carrie is an excellent memoirist. She is direct and honest and very much herself, and in audio, it's fantastic. Carrie came across her diaries from the early Star Wars days, where she was the "typical" late teens early 20s angsty idealistic woman. She was very hones
Char (Tacky Genre Buff)
Even though I'm not a Star Wars fan, I am a big fan of Carrie Fisher.

I loved how outspoken and honest she was about her life and mental health. After listening to The Princess Diarist I now love how honest she was about her affair with Harrison Ford. I also greatly enjoyed her talking about some of her fan interactions; hilarious.

It's nice to hear someone from Hollywood talking about how insecure she was about her hair, her weight, etc... You would never know it from watching Princess Leia an
Mercedes
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
I love Carrie Fisher. I've read all her books and really enjoyed them. This book however, was a disappointment. Much of it was pointless 'filler' that was completely unnecessary to the story Carrie was trying to tell.

For instance, the whole first chapter...'It was 1976'...is just a listing of all the things that were happening in the year 1976. Now, I get 3 or 4, hell, maybe even 5 or 6 examples so she can set the scene, but as it went on and on it became very clear that she wasn't going to have
Book Riot Community
I knew this was going to be good, so as I usually do, I put off reading it for a while. When I finally got to it, I was sucked in immediately. Carrie Fisher is at once hilarious and thought-provoking, and her commentary looking back on the time of the filming of Star Wars, as well as her diary entries, are fascinating. I’m definitely going to read her other writing when I get the chance.

— Jessica Yang

from The Best Books We Read In February 2017: http://bookriot.com/2017/02/28/riot-r...
April Cote
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Princess Leia was the only princess I looked up to and wished to be growing up. Princess Leia was tough, smart, beautiful, with a fantastic hairstyle and a Jedi for a brother. Also, she had the best looking scoundrel in space, Han Solo. What little girl didn't want to be her? So when this came out, and I heard what it was about, I knew I had to read it.
Carrie Fisher is a sarcastic, funny and honest writer, not hesitating to write about herself in a not so pretty light. I admire that and so I wi
Figgy
I can’t promise that this is going to be an objective review; I feel this needs to be made clear from the outset.

Five days ago, Carrie Fisher died, and in a year of deeply meaningful celebrity deaths from an era of entertainment so many of us look back on fondly, this felt like a final kick in the gut (followed a day later, of course, by her mother, Debbie Reynolds).
Who do I think I would’ve been if I hadn’t been Princess Leia? Am I Princess Leia, or is she me? Split the difference and you’d be
Brierly
I act like someone in a bomb shelter trying to raise everyone’s spirits.

I put off reading this for about a year, because I am unsure about celebrity memoirs. Of course, I was pleasantly surprised by The Princess Diarist, an audio collab read by Fisher with diary excerpts by daughter Billie Lourd. Fisher possessed great skills of observation and is refreshingly witty. Even as a teenager, Carrie was aware of inequities in her role in Star Wars as compared to her male costars:

The crew was mostly me
Leslie
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I love, love, love Carrie Fisher. Not Pricess Leia - although she has her moments, but the 'real' Carrie Fisher. The one who bared her soul in her autobiographical novels and biographical books, her one woman stream of consciousness shows and in the HBO documentary about her and her mother.

If you are looking for a Hollywood tell all, or a behind the scenes on the shooting of Star Wars this isn't the book. This is the story of a 19 year old high school drop out who ended up being in the BIGGEST
Calista
Growing up loving the movie Star Wars, this was a great behind the scenes look into the lives of the cast. Carrie is a funny writer and she has a knack for writing about the human condition. I laughed at all the scenes she paints with questions her fans ask her during book signing and some of them are poignant. I'm sad we lost Carrie last year and I'm glad we have this lasting memory of her and her experience as Princess Leia.
María
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
<<¿Quién crees que habrías sido si no hubieras sido una princesa intergaláctica?>>
Sería yo.
Ya lo sabéis. Carrie.
Solo yo.
Jessica
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library, humor, nonfiction
I remember when I found out how young Carrie Fisher was when she was cast as Princess Leia (barely nineteen!) I wondered what it would be like to have your first real job be Princess Leia.

Well, kids, wonder no more! Here are her memories, her musings, and even her crappy teenage poetry about getting cast, meeting the cast, getting her buns on, and how being Princess Leia changed her life. The writing is wry and much more coy than I thought it would be, but it was a very interesting glimpse into
Around the Year i...: The Princess Diarist, by Carrie Fisher 9 58 Nov 12, 2018 07:23PM
500 1 9 Jul 30, 2018 07:43AM
Go Fug Yourself B...: The Princess Diarist June Book Discussion 11 55 Jun 15, 2017 04:08PM
  • Poems Bewitched and Haunted
  • Gin O'Clock
  • Bloody Bloody Apple
  • The Krampus and the Old, Dark Christmas: Roots and Rebirth of the Folkloric Devil
  • A Christmas Story: Behind the Scenes of a Holiday Classic
  • River of Time: My Descent into Depression and How I Emerged with Hope
  • Where the Dead Go to Die
  • Scottish Girls About Town
  • Yuki Chan in Brontë Country
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • In Such Good Company: Eleven Years of Laughter, Mayhem, and Fun in the Sandbox
  • Make 'Em Laugh: Short-Term Memories of Longtime Friends
  • Super Late Bloomer: My Early Days in Transition
  • You Gotta Get Bigger Dreams: My Life in Stories and Pictures
  • The Happiest Days of Our Lives
  • The Penguin Book of the Undead
  • Of Sorrow and Such
  • Sounds Like Me: My Life (So Far) in Song
Carrie Fisher was an American actress, screenwriter and author, most famous for her portrayal of Princess Leia in the original Star Wars trilogy. Fisher was the daughter of singer Eddie Fisher and actress Debbie Reynolds. She had one daughter, Billie Lourd (b. 1992).

Her final film, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, was released on December 15, 2017 and is dedicated to her.
“If you look at the person someone chooses to have a relationship with, you’ll see what they think of themselves.” 108 likes
“Do not let what you think they think of you make you stop and question everything you are.” 94 likes