Start by marking “In The Seraphim City” as Want to Read:
In The Seraphim City

Read Book* *Different edition

In The Seraphim City

For centuries, the city grew. Aided by the Alchemists, it grew past any boundary, until its lower levels could no longer sustain life. It grew until its foundation fell, its core became decrepit, and it grew until it reached the sky. Only the Alchemists remain, shunned and hated, in the bowels of this monstrosity; in the rotted centre of the city called the Hive. Up above ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published June 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about In The Seraphim City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In The Seraphim City

Hanne
Jun 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this.
Although the story leans on a (perhaps overly) familiar crime/thriller structure, seeing it in an uncharacteristic genre and setting (the fantasy/sci-fi realm) helps make it feel new.
But what helps more is that it's not really about that. It's about the characters, the world, and the city they inhabit - all of which is wonderfully realized and well characterized. Everyone gets a chance to shine, even the minor characters. The mystery elements make you want to read on, but t
Inga
Jun 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
3,5-4 stars, I think.

Thoughts:
It’s technically a thriller/crime novel, but it is sprinkled with these sci-fi/fantasy elements, which I really liked, because I am not a huge thriller fan. I tend to find crime books kind of boring, therefore I really liked that this one wasn’t straight up crime. I am however very easy when it comes to fantasy/sci-fi.

I feel like the author had a very clear grasp of his world and his characters. He knew them well and what he was doing. His world building is great,
Håkon
Aug 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read for any crime fan. It's a futuristic take on the classic PI. Althoug the whole murder happens, police can't do much about it because of political red tape has been used before the storyline kept me captivated throughout. I especially liked the way the author lays out the city in different levels that have been built over the decades, it gives the novel a sci-fi feel allwhile staying true to the classic detective story. Recommended for anyone who likes crime novels.
M.C.
Aug 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the Seraphim City presents itself as a murder-mystery set in a reality different from our own, but I believe it reflects the nuances of our present human condition with great skill. Eirik Moe Dahll-Larsøn is an astute observer of human relationships: couples, co-workers, violent face-downs, or just suspicious strangers warily trying to trust one another. His skill with relationships gives rise to well fleshed-out characters that readers like me commit to and feel sympathy for. Hoping the char ...more
Diane
Sep 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the Seraphim City tells of a city experiencing uncontrolled growth and success - until it collapses upon itself to leave its creators, the Alchemists, despised for encouraging the city to grow beyond its optimum levels. Society is stratified in this broken hive, and only one man will prove able to bridge lives and worlds to heal a goliath that has grown unwieldy and no longer works.

That's the rough outline of the premise of In the Seraphim City: now for the meat. It's packed with a diverse ra
Bengt H.
Aug 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a particularly eloquent person, but I'll give this review-thingy a go:

In The Seraphim City is a detective story, but one taking place in the world of sci-fi with some hints of fantasy. As far as social commentary goes the book covers territory that experienced sci-fi and fantasy readers might recognize, but probably haven't seen quite in the way it's presented here. In The Seraphim City takes place in a world where somewhere along the lines, something went rather wrong. The City, which i
Matt Ely
original review @ JC's Book Haven.

“This is everything I have,” he said. He hesitated. When he spoke again, his voice was much lower, much darker than it had been. “You are not likely to come back from this,” he said.
“What’s that supposed to mean?”
“It means,” Ed said, still holding onto the folder, “That I suspect you are looking to pull a thread holding together a wound very frailly stitched. And once that wound opens, it will not easily close.”

The Good
So the main character Theodore Donovan ma
Stine Pedersen apeland
Kari Fauskanger
Aug 06, 2015
Karine Jenssen
Tamara Howe
rated it did not like it
Dec 28, 2015
Sydney
Nov 18, 2015
Ellee
Nov 18, 2015
Eirik M. Dahll-Larssøn has spent most of his life in fiction, and before long decided hey, why not try his hand at it. He’s written two novels, the sci-fi crime thriller 'In the Seraphim City' and the horror-comedy 'Rented Souls', which is the first in a series. He’s currently living in Bergen, Norway, with his girlfriend; their dog, Luna; and their second, more imaginary dog, Waffle.