Start by marking “Harrow County, Vol. 2: Twice Told” as Want to Read:
Harrow County, Vol. 2: Twice Told

Harrow County, Vol. 2: Twice Told

(Harrow County #2)

After uncovering Harrow County's twisted history and her bizarre connection to the populace, Emmy forges a new and profound connection to the land and its monsters—but a familiar and sinister presence lurks just over the county lines...

Collecting: Harrow County 5-8
Published April 26th 2016 by Dark Horse Comics

To ask other readers questions about Harrow County, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harrow County, Vol. 2

Anne
Evil twin!
Yeah, it's been done to death, but it's still a fun trope.

description

Ok, so this was one of the many times when irony kicked me in my tits. Just as soon as I gave up on the library ever finding their missing copy of this volume (it had been in book limbo for 3 or 4 months), and decided to go ahead and read volume 3...they told me they had it ready and waiting for me.
Because of course they did.
However!
For whatever reason, vol 3 & vol 2 are actually pretty self-contained, and 3 didn't really se
☽¸¸.I am¸¸.•*¨ The ¸¸.•*¨*Phoenix¨*•♫♪ ☾
I'm enjoying this comic very much! I especially love the short "Harrow County tales" at the end of each issue. I find them extremely creepy!

I would rate this volume as following:

Artwork ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Story ⭐⭐⭐

So, overall, 3.5 stars. I will definitely check out volume 3!
Chad
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Emmy and the town have accepted her as the local witch, even if she does things a bit differently. I love how she goes about befriending the haints. It's one of the things that really make you root for her, that she's often misunderstood and has this great big heart. One day Emmy's twin, Kammi, shows up from the city. She's almost a mirror universe version of Emmy (I'm a bit surprised she didn't sport a goatee.) more than just an evil twin. At times it feels like you'll find out that at one poin ...more
Sam Quixote
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
Didja like the first Harrow County? Then you’ll probably like the second book too. It’s more of the same southern gothic “horror” that’s kinda corny/contrived (this one part of the world sure is riddled with magical creatures!) and not-at-all scary but it’s drawn nice. That’s one thing I took away from this second volume: a deeper appreciation for Tyler Crook’s art, though I liked Cullen Bunn’s writing less this time around.

The story’s predictable in that Emmy’s twin sister Kammi turns out to b
David Schaafsma
Apr 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gn-horror
Second volume of a Southern Gothic horror series with a great team, Cullen Bunn and Tyler Crooks. I think the artwork--featuring the mysterious psychic "white witch" Emmy and her evil twin, and some really inventive haints--is the main event in this series. Really makes it worthwhile to check out, for the art alone.

The evil twin thing is not original and not handled in a particularly original way, and that's a bit of a problem. Oh, she's from the CITY! She approaches haints in exactly the opposi
Paul E. Morph
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016
After the events in the first volume, has peace returned to Harrow County, and Emmy is using her powers for good. But peace is shattered when a girl arrives from the city. A girl that looks just like Emmy...

I liked the first volume quite much, but this one was even better. Emmy's story was established in the first volume and here the story progress with Emmy getting more used to her powers and the neighbors seem to appreciate her help when they have a supernatural problem. But, this peaceful sit
Shadowdenizen
Dec 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
**Note that this is a review of the single-issues, as the collected Volume 2 is not out yet.**

Harrow COunty is one of the best comics you're not reading, and it's near the top of my monthly pull list (and I read ALOT of titles!)

Everything about this book, from the evocative art, the lush Gothic setting, and the well-plotted storyline and scripting works together to create a memorable experience for the reader. As alluded to in a previous review, it's like watching a deeply twisted Stephen King b
Sud666
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, comics
The Second Volume of the creepy Harrow County continues Emmy's story.

Harrow County is a haunted place. The dark past of the Harrow County was discussed in the first volume. Emmy had come to terms, somewhat, with the situation in Harrow. But as events begin to go back to as normal as Harrow County ever gets-Emmy has a visitor! her twin sister Kammi from NYC.

That is all the plot I'm going to give away. This was a really entertaining story. I am pleasantly surprised. It is a mixture of a nice stor
James DeSantis
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
And so comes the 2nd Harrow County arc, and is it as good as the first? Uhh....YES!

So Emmy is getting used to going around town helping people. She has powers some would only dream of but she's still pushing on the good fight with trying to do good in the world. She even visits other ghouls and demons to try to convince them she's there for them again. Then, out of nowhere, her twin sister arrives in town. Kammi right off the bat pretends to care for her sister a lot but you can see the evil mo
L. McCoy
This story is not as good volume 1 but still entertaining.

What’s it about?
Uh, I won’t bother with that this time because if you haven’t read volume 1 I’m spoiling stuff for you but if you have read volume 1 you probably know what this is about.

Pros:
The story is interesting.
The art is still fantastic. A little cartoony but I like that and it still fits the book’s tone.
The characters become more interesting (and my theory is more likely with some stuff in this volume).
The horror is still that good
Artemy
Dec 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dark-horse, comics
The series continues to be pretty great, even though the story of Emmy's *evil* twin sister turned out to be a bit formulaic and predictable. Still, it is lots of fun and the artwork is still gorgeous. I also absolutely love the short tales from Harrow County at the end of each issue, but I am not sure if those are collected in trades, as I read this in singles.
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

I enjoyed this though now that I think back on it, there's nothing really amazingly new about the story. Artwork is pretty fantastic though - definitely a draw. Oh well, at least I can follow the plot unlike with some comics *cough*Casanova*cough*.
Robert
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm tearing through the series and the quality has remained consistently excellent --- so this review will be repeated till a stumble requires alteration.
Ryan Michael
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am loving this series. I don't know much about art but I know I like the visuals of Harrow County. The elements of water colors really give the story depth and emotion, it makes the darker sections of the story that much more creepy. The story-telling itself is terrific too. The first volume seemed like an intro into the world (in a good way) and the second volume seemed to be, at least for the moment, a stand-alone type story arch, but I could be wrong about that and maybe these things pop ba ...more
Dimitris
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
As much as I hate Cullen Bunn writing Deadpool lately... THAT much I like him writing horror comics.

This continues to be good. It's like reading your new favourite tv series. Which is not a horror series that will scare you or anything like that, but will have you turning pages and going from one issue to the next one just to see/read what happens next, and even though most of the stories are self-contained, you want to read the next one for sure.

I won't even talk about the artwork because it's
Caitlin

In volume 2 of Harrow County, Bunn and Crook continue Emmy’s investigation on what her heritage means for both herself and Harrow County. After finding out about her origins in the woods around her house, Emmy struggles to define what’s normal and the line between what the witch Hester Beck meant to Harrow County and what Emmy wants out of her own life. Finding out that she comes from such a dark legacy leaves Emmy with choice between following in Hester’s footsteps or creating a lighter path
Cale
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked this volume much better than the first one - the story's a lot more coherent, and Emmy is a lot more relatable as she takes on the role of the witch for Harrow County, inter-mediating between the haints and the humans. But this new role is challenged when an unknown sister comes form the city. Kammi's goals are not clear from the start, but quickly turn in expected directions, leading to a confrontation that escalates quickly.
I'm not sure I would call this scary - it is a dark world fill
Dávid Novotný
Mar 26, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked first book a lot, but second, it's completely different story. Evil twin Kammi appears, with no real back story, they are friends with Emmy and happy at first, then clouds start to show up and she start to suspect some bad intentions from Kammi. Then there is parade of all different monsters from Harrow County, then, some kind of stand off and fight ...and there is the end. No story at all, no movement somewhere, no character development. It felt like wrongly cut movie, when you know the ...more
Erica
This is one of those rare cases in which I feel this art is just as necessary as the story to tell this tale. The two go hand-in-hand so well.

Anyway, Emmy has a sister! A twin, no less!
I'll bet you can figure out the storyline from there.

What you may not figure out is that Emmy's got allies she hadn't counted on and that's pretty spiffy.
Dan
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very slow start and I was afraid this would not be as good as the first volume, but damn this was good.
J
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I'm really enjoying this series, which seems in many ways about what would a decent person do if given an enormous amount of power, and the inverse of that equation. Kinda topical, but not that it has to be. The haints of the book also are interesting variations on usual ghosts and goblins, which makes things more interesting, and there's a clear feeling of unreality throughout. Who is real, as in really born from parents years ago, and who is a creation from a witch decades back, and does it ma ...more
Zedsdead
Apr 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Emmi's evil twin Kammi visits from the city and does evil witch things and tries to kill Emmi to death and take her place as Enchantress of Harrow County.

There's not a lot going on with the plot. The reason to read Harrow County is all the weird wonderful "haints" (ie ghoulies and creepy-crawlies and fiends) dreamed up by Cullen Bunn and Tyler Crook. It's worth it.
Pranta Ghosh Dastider
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just knew it!
Thomas
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Twice Told expands the universe where Emmy lives, showing us more of how she lives in her town, how she copes with her newfound powers, the history of Hester Beck, and exactly how many "countless haints" there are in the surrounding woods. Part of that expansion is Emmy's twin sister, Kammi, who knows more about their powers and how to utilize them. Kammi returns to Harrow County and upsets the delicate balance between Emmy and the haints, which serves as the main focus of this collection.

The ti
Kayla (onthefritz)
Re-Read April 2019

“She had felt an uneasiness in her stomach when she met Kammi… as if she had looked into a mirror that only reflected the bad aspects of her being. At the same time though, she felt her loneliness subside… even for a few moments.”

kammi in blood

****************

Twice Told: Amazing Arc!

I am not so sure what it is that is giving this horror comic a subtle innocence? Maybe the relationship with Emmy and her familiar, family and friends mixed with the small town, southern gothic setting.

Love Lo
Sesana
Feb 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, fantasy
Not feeling the evil twin storyline. It's sadly predictable, comes out of nowhere, and isn't anywhere near as interesting as a storyline with a good or even morally ambiguous twin would have been. I still really like the art, and the setting, and the dialog is fairly good and natural. It just isn't the best story in the world.
Scott Robins
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gn
Really enjoyed the new status quo in this series after the fallout of the last volume. There's another unexpected twist that deepens the mythology created here. This is quickly becoming one of my top reads. Awesomely creepy and emotional.
Emily
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I let too much time pass between reading volumes 1 and 2, but that didn't diminish the enjoyment I got out of this one. The artwork is gorgeous, and I love protagonist Emmy and her father.
I highly recommend this spooky series!
FanFiAddict
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Received an advanced DRC from Edelweiss.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Clean Room, Vol. 2: Exile
  • Spread, Vol. 1: No Hope
  • Southern Cross, Vol. 1
  • Kill or be Killed, Vol. 2
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Love Dares You (Season 10, Volume 3)
  • Rachel Rising, Volume 3: Cemetery Songs
  • Afterlife With Archie #7: Thanksgiving
  • Troll Bridge
  • Breath of Bones: A Tale of the Golem
  • The Manhattan Projects, Vol. 3: Building
Cullen grew up in rural North Carolina, but now lives in the St. Louis area with his wife Cindy and his son Jackson. His noir/horror comic (and first collaboration with Brian Hurtt), The Damned, was published in 2007 by Oni Press. The follow-up, The Damned: Prodigal Sons, was released in 2008. In addition to The Sixth Gun, his current projects include Crooked Hills, a middle reader horror prose se ...more

Harrow County (8 books)