Start by marking “Kitsune: A Little Mermaid Retelling (Tales of Akatsuki, #1)” as Want to Read:
Kitsune: A Little Mermaid Retelling (Tales of Akatsuki, #1)

Kitsune: A Little Mermaid Retelling

(Tales of Akatsuki #1)

Rescuing him was a mistake. Falling in love was unthinkable. Because to save her own life, she has to destroy his.

Rin is an immortal kitsune, or at least she was until a witch’s curse turned her human. To regain her yokai powers and avoid being turned into a fox, she must make the lord’s son fall in love with her before the next full moon. Her kind has been seducing humans
Paperback, 1, 276 pages
Published August 14th 2015 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Kitsune, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kitsune

Bonnie
Nov 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Bonnie by: Bookwormlvr@gmail.com
“'And what exactly are you spying for?'

'I am making war.' She smiled with an almost childlike glee"(60).

In this book Nicolette Andrews has managed to take a classic tale and reshape it into something tantalizingly familiar yet starkly original. While the main aspects of the original tale are preserved, Andrews expands the story into something heartfelt and compelling.

. . .

"A foolish man did not fear Yokai; they were cruel, vicious and petty. If you did not pay the right favors and dishonor them
Aurelia
Oct 03, 2015 rated it really liked it

There are lots of YA books out there right now that feature a fairy tale retelling with a kick-ass heroine. Many are well written (example: Cinder by Marissa Meyer), but there are also many which are horribly written. To me, Kitsune is one of the very good ones BEST I'VE EVER READ!

While there were some mistakes and tropes (*glares at the love triangle*) in Kitsune that I couldn't ignore, this book has so many elements I love. Forbidden romance. An anti-hero, kick-ass, non-white (I'm not being r
Luna
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: five-star, indie
As I sit here writing this review, there are a lot of thoughts racing around my mind. Now don’t think they are bad thoughts, believe me, they’re not. But these thoughts threaten to break me. There aren’t enough words in the English language to describe how I am feeling.

The Little Mermaid is one of my favourite fairy tales/Disney movies. In fact, it’s my third favourite. Aladdin being first and Beauty and the Beast coming in close second. This means that I hold retellings to a very high standard
Jennifer Kaser
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! I especially liked that my predictions did not come true and I was kept guessing even until the end!
Nick Sweet
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved loved loved this! I finished it in a day. A great fairy tale and love story! Cannot wait for more!
Dilyana
Aug 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I won Kitsune in a raffle during its facebook release party, which was quite some time ago. I was too busy to read it at the time and I set it aside. I even read and reviewed two other books by Nicolette before I got to Kitsune.

However, when I was packing my bags for my vacation earlier this month, I was like “I’m so taking this book with me” and boy, I’m I glad I did!

The sun and I do not like each other. I block it with glasses and it retaliates by burning my shoulders. You know, making them al
Tina
Sep 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is supposed to be a retelling of the Little Mermaid. And yes a lot of the storyline keeps faithful to the original tale of the Little Mermaid. But I love how the author turned the book into it's own story. We get to see a lot of betrayal in this tale along with some romance. The witch/priestess in this book is basically controlling every aspect of the little situation that is going on in the story. And I don't like that. I don't remember the sea witch being that controlling in the orig ...more
Charles Daniel
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Foxy Little Tale

This is subtitled as a retelling of 'A Little Mermaid,' but that is slightly misleading as the Kitsunes involved in the story achieve a better resolution to their immediate problems than the mermaid ever did. The literary universe of Akatsuki is a nuanced world of political intrigues in both the spirit and human realms; and when the two intersect problems grow geometrically. Rin, the Kitsune, finds herself enmeshed in both realms' plots and those she loves will suffer for her e
Martina Urbanová
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, retellings
A little mermaid retelling? I think this story is so much more! Kitsune is part of Japanese mythology and as a fox spirit; she has really interesting life full of mischief. I loved the Japanese culture; it was so different in every way. It was really refreshing. The story was thrilling and emotional and mysterious. I had no idea, what is going to happen next. Even better than the story were the characters. Rin was like fresh air because of her foxiness. Hikaru was sweet in one way, but honourabl ...more
Demelza Carlton
A book based on Japanese mythology? I was sold even before the mention of mermaids. And I must say, mermaids were few and far between, for the kitsune's tail is of the furry variety as opposed to the scaled kind.

This book is both intriguing and enchanting, transporting the reader to feudal Japan where mythological creatures live side by side with humans - and the conflicts between the two can be fierce.

At its heart, it's a love story, but with plenty of adventure and an ending that would have
MaryLynn Kebort
Aug 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kitsune: A little Mermaid Retelling

I loved reading this story because it has everything a reader could want in a fun adult fantasy. Kitsune is a lovely story filled with magic, love, tragedy and faithfulness. In the story, set in Japan, we meet so many interesting and diverse characters I was never able to totally predict what was going to happen next. I believe this story will be fun reading for anyone over the age 14 years. Like Disney fun for all ages.
Rabia Gawish
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The little mermaid was and still is my favorite story, and I was apprehensive reading your retelling of it. But I was pleasantly surprised and loved how you wrote this one. Loved the story and the worlds you created.
Kristin
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read!

Rich in color and imagination and riddled with intrigue, this original story does not feel like a retelling. Additional characters and a puppet master behind the scenes make this book an entirely new experience.
Bette Ha
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Full review: http://www.betteha.com/kitsune-review/

At face value, Kitsune seems like an interesting twist on the classic fairy tale of love and sacrifice. You’ve got the essential characters: a helpless, yet captivating woman who earns the prince’s affections without being able to user her voice, and a prince who comes to see past her disability to love her for who she is. But these two main characters, whose love story we already know the basics of, are lackluster.Without giving too much away,
Sara Schoen
Aug 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Finished this book and enjoyed every second of it. While the Japanese folklore confused me with names some it didn't take away from the story. I found it as a unique outlook on an old tale, and insightful to Japanese superstitions. I'm slightly upset we never learn what happens to Shin in the epilogue or further information on Tishua (I can't spell these names sorry) and who could travel to wake her up or why she was asleep, I just hope it means there's more to come!
Aug 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received this book for free from Goodreads. I don't usually read much fantasy, but I do love fairy tales, and The Little Mermaid is one of my favorites. I liked this book very much: it was a lot more than a Little Mermaid retelling. I enjoyed the Japanese folklore and setting. It romantic but not overly so and an enjoyable read. Thank you, Nicolette Andrews!
Susan Commeford
Aug 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
This story reads just like a classic fairy tale. The prose is reminiscent of some of the old tales and easy to read. The characters are interesting; we are able to see the story from a few different viewpoints. This is not my favorite way to read a book but it does help keep the story moving along. Overall, this is an enjoyable story.
Elizabeth Swan
Aug 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very Creative. I typically don't like foreign style books because there could be a lot of words I don't know the meanings of or jokes that go over my head but I didn't have that problem with this book it seemed a little Americanized which I liked. I would have liked a slightly longer conclusion, I wanted a little more in depth to how the characters ended up.
Susanne Cutler
Sep 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-read, my-books
I received a free copy of this book from Goodreads. I loved fairy tale books as a young girl but never really read any an an adult. I thoroughly enjoyed this one. It was an imaginative fun read with colorful characters.
Ashley Lynne
Aug 14, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF'd after 64 pages.
The writing was very amateurish
The story wasn't original or unique or engaging
None of the characters had any personality
There was never any realistic dialogue
I just couldn't anymore with this...
Angela
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well written Japanese retell inn of the Little Mermaid. May read the next book in the series later.
Stef
Aug 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
won on goodreads

great writing. interesting characters and story. would recommend to fans of Japanese myths.
Katy
Aug 07, 2015 marked it as physical_to-read_stack
I received my copy free from the Publisher through Goodreads Firstreads.
Breslin White
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rin, the heroine, is a compelling character.
Victoria
Jul 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is a great book to read
Margaret Fisk
Sep 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Originally posted on Tales to Tide You Over

I purchased this book (the start of the Tales of Akatsuki) some time ago because the blurb and the use of the Japanese mythology caught my attention. I am not a Japanophile, but that very lack of absorption draws me to explore stories unknown to me. Add to that the Kitsune as trickster figures, and this book won a place on my schedule. The piece it did not live up to in my opinion was the retelling aspects. Little Mermaid is one of those complicated tal
Kat
I think this book really epitomises my ‘shelf of meh’, was I entertained through this? Mostly. Did I think this was a good adaption? Yes. However I have the suspicion that I will never read this again and it does not bother me.
This is a Little Mermaid retelling except the mermaid in question is actually a kitsune (a Japanese Fox that can shape shift into a woman) and rather than choosing to be turned into a human, she is cursed into being a mute woman and must act as a spy/sabateur in the nearby
K. Lincoln
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is an interesting and fun introduction to Andrews' fantastical ancient Japan where Yokai such as trickster foxes, Dragons, witches, boar-headed guardians of the forest, and okami-wolves live secretly alongside the usual human lords and warriors.

There is definitely an emphasis on the fantastical. And Andrews throughs her own spin on the Yokai hierarchy, with main character Rin part of a Dragon Lord's service one of her enemies, Naoki, part of the guardian of the forest's retinue. The magic i
Violet Stone
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
I feel like the best way to start this review is to say it needed an editor. Someone needed to go through and clean it up, make sure everything was consistent.

Let me also say that I was worried I had unknowingly picked up a reverse harem, which this easily could have went in that direction. Between a Dragon master that Rin (our kitsune) was in love with, Shin (an Okami) that was in love with her, and the young lord Hikaru (that she was sent to seduce) this book could have went into a thousand d
Helgaleena Healingline
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was much more enjoyable to me than The Priestess and the Dragon for one reason, and that is the HEA! That means that even though Kitsune is a precursor to many of the other books in this universe, it stands on its own well. P & D read like book 1 in a series and left me frustrated.

As I read I did not immediately notice the Little Mermaid elements of the plot, though in retrospect they were definitely there. That is yet another point in the story's favor; these characters out of Japanes
« previous 1 3 next »

• All Amity Allows (Fall for You, #2)
  • Demon Hunter (The Collegium, #1)
  • The Rose Crown
  • The Soldier's Secret
  • See You in Hell (Mel Goes to Hell, #2)
  • The Waking Serpent (The Fearless, #3)
  • The Shadow & The Sun (Militess & Mage, #1)
  • The Wolves of Paris
  • Moonstone Obsession (Moonstone Romance, #1)
  • Seasons of Sorcery: A Fantasy Anthology
  • The Fire Mages’ Daughter (Brightmoon, #5)
  • Wicked Hungry
  • Sera's Dragon (Fire Mates, #1)
  • The Light Beyond the Storm Chronicles (The Light Beyond the Storm Chronicles, #1)
  • Wonderfully Wicked (The Dreamcaster Series, #1)
  • Love on the Run
  • Knowledge Revealed (The Nememiah Chronicles #1)
  • The Riddle of Prague (The QuickSilver Legacy Series) (Volume 1)
Nicolette Andrews is a born and raised San Diegan with a passion for fantasy, especially if it has a romance and some mystery and intrigue mixed it doesn't go amiss either. Apart from writing, she enjoys spending time with her husband and two daughters, preferably somewhere outside enjoying the San Diego sunshine.

Tales of Akatsuki (3 books)
  • Yuki: A Snow White Retelling (Tales of Akatsuki, #2)
  • Okami: A Little Red Ridinghood Retelling (Tales of Akatsuki, #3)