Start by marking “Magnetic Shift” as Want to Read:
Magnetic Shift

Magnetic Shift

Published April 12th 2016 by Spencer Hill Press

To ask other readers questions about Magnetic Shift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Magnetic Shift

Carrie
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Seventeen year old Lexi Adams has the ability to move and manipulate anything metal with her mind. She sees this as a curse that was inherited from a father that she never knew so she doesn't really understand her powers other than they are tied to her emotions. After her mother passed away she was left with an abusive, controlling step-father that has decided to trade Lexi to a NASCAR team for the rights to advertise his business on the car.

Lexi arrives at the race track and finds that the dri
Jaime (Two Chicks on Books)
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

So if you know me you know that this isn’t my typical kind of book, a bit too contemporary for my tastes even with the sci-fi(ish) aspects. But I was asked by a friend from Spencer Hill Press to host the blog tour because she knew I loved NASCAR. And so I said yes and I also said I would read it and review it. I actually waited for racing season to begin so I’d be more in the mood to read it lol. So here I am posting my review.

I went into this book ready to pick it apart being the huge
Brooke (The Cover Contessa)
Only DNFing until my print copy gets here because the digital copy is formatted incorrectly. What I could read I really liked so far.
Ruthsic
The ability to magnetize and manipulate metal with the flick of her wrist makes seventeen-year-old Lexi Adams a crack mechanic, but it’s a disaster in the making when her stepdad trades her skills to NASCAR team owner Dean Grant for an entire season’s worth of sponsorship ads. Now Lexi has no other choice but to suck it up and hope she can keep her magnetic impulses under control—that is, until she runs into NASCAR’s hot new rookie, Colton Tayler.

When Carl Stacy, the ruthless team owner of the d
Erin

"I am who I am because of the cards I've been dealt. I know that now. My life wasn't all bad."

MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Before I say anything else about this book, I should say that my copy of this book was missing some parts here and they're so I might have missed something. (I doubt it, but it's possible.)

I really struggled with this book and it ended up falling a little flat for me.
I was expecting this to be a story about a girl mechanic that has an ability that helps her be able to do repairs supe
Sharon
Spencer Hill Press and NetGalley provided me with an electronic copy of Magnetic Shift, in exchange for an honest review.

17 year old Lexi Adams has the makings of an excellent mechanic, but her secret gift of being able to manipulate and magnetize metal is really how she is able to work so quickly. Traded away by her stepfather in exchange for a year's worth of sponsorship ads for his salvage yard, Lexi has no choice but to work for Dean, the owner of a Cup Series race team. Colton Tayler, drive
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Will read again!!

Simply put, I loved this book. A lovely insight inside the world of NASCAR but won't weigh you down if you know nothing of the sport. The main character is lovable and "real", and quirky/sassy. Looking forward to see what else this author will come out with next.
Take Me Away To A Great Read
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
REVIEW TO COME
Regina
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. The story and characters pulled me in wanting to know what was ahead of both Lexi and Colton.
Desirae
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was an extremely interesting book. I honestly loved it, I just wish it would've gone a little bit slower and more detailed on some parts. For example, the first race where something went wrong, the whole scene transpired too quickly and it was a little hard to process it had happened in the first place. That being said, it was a great book. It was very young adult in writing, more of a high school read than a college one, but I find those to be a nice change from my typical novel or physiol ...more
Brent Knudson
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Not usually a fan of this type of book (romance) but the authors writing style is SO good and detailed she really makes the scene and characters come alive. You can really feel what the characters are feeling and the knowledge of racing and NASCAR really shines through. I highly recommend you check this out and see for yourself!!!
Dark Faerie Tales
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Amazing romance that I literally couldn’t put down. I loved every minute of this book and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a cute love story!

Opening Sentence: I jumped down from the truck, gawked up at the fence arching over Daytona International Speedway’s tri-oval tack, and groaned as my gut twisted in the worst way.

The Review:

Lexi Adams has a very special talent that allows her to manipulate metal with just the flick of her
Isis
I would like to thank Spencer Hill Press & NetGalley for a copy of this e-ARC to review. Though I received this ebook for free, that has no impact upon the honesty of my review.

Goodreads Teaser: "The ability to magnetize and manipulate metal with the flick of her wrist makes seventeen-year-old Lexi Adams a crack mechanic, but it’s a disaster in the making when her stepdad trades her skills to NASCAR team owner Dean Grant for an entire season’s worth of sponsorship ads.

Now Lexi has no other
Stephanie Ward
Mar 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Magnetic Shift is an original blend of science fiction, romance, and suspense that breathes some fresh air into the young adult genre. The story follows our main character - Lexi - as she lives her one year working for NASCAR team owner Dean Grant. Her stepdad was nice enough to basically sell her and her mechanical skills in exchange for a season's worth of advertising. Things wouldn't be so bad, except Lexi has a secret - she can manipulate metal with just a thought or a movement of her hand. ...more
Stacy Sabala
Apr 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, suspense, romance
Book Review- Magnetic Shift by Lucy D. Briand

Lexi is now working for Dean Grant thanks to her step-father Roy who basically sold her. She meets the driver of the Angel Insurance car immediately. Colton tries to be as nice as he can. Lexi seems very closed off and skittish. Lexi is horrified when she realizes that Dean and Colton know how Roy treated her. Dean seems determined to save her.
Lexi also has a secret that no one can know. She can move metal with her mind. Her biggest fear is being loc
Dan
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Boogity boogity boogity, let's go racing boys and girls!

The green flag drops and the debut Author is in the pole position with this YA Paranormal Romance novel.

Magnetic Shift is a refreshing and breezy read. Being a comic book nerd, the author grabbed my attention by having a protagonist with Magnetic abilities (think Magneto, or in this case, more like his daughter, Polaris). Control of her powers fluctuate depending on her emotional state which is quite the rollercoaster ride for a teenage g
Suze Lavender
Apr 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lexi has a special ability, she can manipulate metal. She can feel it and can magnetize it, only she isn't always able to control it. When she can't handle her emotions her ability becomes a curse. Lexi's life changes drastically when her stepdad exchanges her for advertising. She finds a new home with Dean who runs a NASCAR team. She can work for him as a mechanic while she finishes her last school year online. Colton is Dean's prize racer. Lexi has a tough time being around him as he makes it ...more
Peach
DNF @ 15%

So I DNFed.

I've been DNFing so often lately, I'm beginning to feel terrible, but I honestly think this was necessary. I like sports. Occasionally. Like I said, I tolerate the Super Bowl and Tom Brady is a babe, but we're forgetting the topic at hand.

Magnetic Shift is centered on NASCAR. Lexi Adams is supposedly a mechanic. One day on the track, she sees a racer named Colton with heterochromic eyes and falls for him almost instantly.

Colton thinks she's fancy and Lexi will do whatever
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-netgalley
Note ; *I received this arc in exchange for an honest review*

This story mainly focuses around NASCAR. I wasn't sure if I'd like this book solely for that reason. But I'm glad I decided to give it a chance.

Lexi Adams is a mechanic under the watchful eye of her abusive stepfather, since both of her parents are dead. While Lexi is at her mother's grave she is struck by lightening , and gains the ability to manipulate metal, which helps her get things done much faster than most when it comes to her
Hannah L (Reviewer)
description
In a world of high-speed races and cut throat competition, Lexi has a dangerous and wondrous ability. She can move metal with her mind. After being pretty much sold off to a NASCAR team by her father, she is swept up into a dangerous world where she meets Colton, an up and coming champion racer. As their love blooms things get more and more dangerous as a competitor tries to ruin things... in a potentially deadly way.
Disclaimer, I am not a huge fan of racing, so I came into reading this book
Amanda
Grades 9+:
Lexi Adams has a knack for mechanics, an abusive stepfather, and dead parents. When Lexi is struck by lightning, she gains the ability to manipulate metal, thereby allowing her to accentuate her already impressive mechanical skills. When NASCAR team owner Dean catches wind of Lexi’s skill and her stepfather’s abuse, he takes her under their team’s wing. Lexi must keep her abilities a secret, as she is frightened she would be locked up and tested like a lab animal. The NASCAR team’s dri
Lindsey Paradis
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Check out the full review at: http://apieceofparadis.com/2016/04/06...

The NASCAR aspect is what really drew me to Lucy D. Briand’s Magnetic Shift. I’m not a fan of racing, but it just seemed so different than anything I’ve read recently.

Lexi as a narrator was great. Between the passing of her mother, her abusive stepfather, and strange ability she has in no way lived an easy life—giving her a strong and spunky attitude. It was easy to route for her, and great to see her change throughout the nov
Books In Brogan
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blog-reviews
This is a pretty standard Young Adult/New Adult paranormal just with NASCAR added in but at the heart it is a story brimming with raw, heartfelt emotion.  The conflict with the  protagonist is pretty easy to see coming but it's the love story that was the best part of this book.

magnetic shift lucy d. briandThis review was originally posted on Books In Brogan
Jennifer Green
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this, although the pacing was a bit off for me. It started really slowly and took forever for her magnetic powers to see any action. And then the ending kind of rushed stuff to the point where I was a bit annoyed. I did honestly think that there would be more cool mutant powers a la Magneto than teen romance, but I still enjoyed it.
Ushna
Jun 10, 2016 rated it liked it
There wasn't much emphasis on her "magnectic ability". This was more of a love story than a science fiction novel
Julie Murdock
Sep 28, 2016
Giulia Martinelli
Mar 01, 2016
Kate
Apr 27, 2016
Lucy Briand
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
« previous 1 3 next »

• Forest of Whispers (Forest of Whispers, #1)
  • Pixelated
  • Whispering Hills (Whispering Hills, #1)
  • The Almost King (Tellus, #2)
  • Scepter of Fire (The Mirror of Immortality, #2)
  • Eleven Things I Promised
  • Drawn
  • Barefoot on the Wind (The Moonlit Lands, #2)
  • Finn Finnegan (The Adventures of Finn MacCullen, #1)
  • Disney Princess Comic Strips Collection Vol. 1
  • My Name is Milena Rokva (Alexandra Gastone, #2)
  • Bane (Coven, #2)
  • The Paladins (The Artisans, #2)
  • Aqua, Volume 2 (Aqua, #2)
  • Disney Villains: Delightfully Evil: The Creation • The Inspiration • The Fascination
  • A Second Chance (Chance, #1)
  • Superfail
  • One Wish Away
Lucy D. Briand lives in Ottawa, Canada with her comic book fanatic husband and her nonchalant Siamese cat. By day she works full time as a public servant for the Government of Canada, but by night her creative mind takes over and conjures up young adult gear-head romance stories with supernatural twists.

When not working, reading, writing, or watching way too much TV, Lucy likes to cosplay, attend