Start by marking “Million Dollar Consulting: the Professional's Guide to Growing a Practice” as Want to Read:
Million Dollar Consulting: the Professional's Guide to Growing a Practice

Million Dollar Consulting: the Professional's Guide to Growing a Practice

The acclaimed Million Dollar Consulting gives consultants the tools and advice they need to grow a firm that rakes in at least $1 million per year. Alan Weiss, "the consultant's consultant," shows step-by-step how to raise capital, reel in new clients, set fees, accelerate growth, and more. This updated and expanded edition will appeal to both Weiss's many current fans and

Paperback, 3rd edition, 358 pages
Published August 5th 2003 by McGraw-Hill (first published April 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Million Dollar Consulting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Million Dollar Consulting

Start your review of Million Dollar Consulting: the Professional's Guide to Growing a Practice
Joshua Giles
Never read an author that sucked his own dick so well 😂 (am I allowed to say that in a book review?) but seriously though if you can get past his persistent compliments to himself and him selling his own consulting company then there are some GREAT suggestions for anyone trying to open their own consulting company. Also the author claims he has written more books on consulting then anyone else (something like 50+) but I've read 3 of them: million dollar consulting, consulting bible, and million ...more
Chad Warner
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: consultants, service providers
Recommended to Chad by: Freelancers' Show
This is a handbook on being a high-income, professional consultant. It's a wealth of practical advice on high-end consulting, based on extensive first-hand experience. Weiss exudes professionalism and confidence. He's an unabashed contrarian, sharing alternatives to conventional wisdom. I didn't agree with everything he advocates, but overall I found it very informative.

I read this because my web design agency, OptimWise, provides consulting services. It was recommended on episode 192 of the Fre
Farnoosh Brock
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Eh. That is my quick reaction to this book. I'm a voracious reader and one of my apprentices recommended this book so highly that I took her up on it. I'm afraid it just didn't do it for me.

I listened to the audio version and kept an open mind. There are certainly some good ideas here which I have long since implemented in my business:

1. You're a professional so never charge by the hour, that's amateur, charge by value.
2. Work from your home office and keep your overhead expenses minimal.
3. D
Jason Cihelka
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book provides great insights on “how to think like a million dollar consultant”, however there’s a big flaw: it’s trying to provide basic advice to a target audience of established consultants with a strong brand, who can already justify large retainers.

If you’re just starting out and looking for actionable advice, this book isn’t for you. It’s just hard to imagine a brand new consultant with little to no experience charging $10k/month for their advice.’

There were large sections of the boo
G.M. Burrow
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Amazingly helpful advice for the full-time consultant or the regular person who finds himself freelancing at random. My biggest takeaway is the importance of charging based on the value of the project, not the value of your time spent. However, while I agree it’s a good idea to consider your work’s value when establishing fees, I wouldn’t go nearly as far as Weiss does here. He is so insistent on wringing money out of people because “trust me, I’m worth it” that he forgets his primary goal ought ...more
Branimir
Feb 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not the book which will turn you into a consultant all of a sudden (surprise, surprise). For what its worth, it would not even help you realize if you are good fit for this hat. Yet, what I like a lot is that it gives advices on being more self-aware and organized. This is one of the better business reads and I would recommend it to people who want to learn to be more confident and persistent.

Alan Weis creates a good overview of practices which allow people to better "sell" themselves. C
D
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
One or two original ideas but most of the book is repetitive common sense anecdotes. The author even encourages you to copy his practice of using pithy sound bites (“fix your own oxygen mask before helping others”) to avoid coming up with anything original to say, complete with dictionary definitions on metaphors and similes.

In the most amusing section the author advises readers not to waste time with social media because he never managed to get it to work.

Despite being advertised as “the profe
Ryn
Jul 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who wants ownership of their professional contributions
Recommended to Ryn by: Annie Stevens
The SUBTITLE is really what this is about: How to own and grow a professional, independent practice
Not about million dollars, and not really about consulting.
More about value-based partnering/advising/listening.
Instead of feeling powerless about one's occupation, Weiss offers an insightful and actionable approach to owning one's own professional contributions and increasing their value.
Thank you, Annie Stevens (http://www.clearrock.com)
Caroline
I purchased and read this manual to assist me in developing marketing strategies for my new business lines (I'm a policy person, not a sales rep). It did provide some insights, but I didn't derive what I'd hoped to - the "silver bullet" to assist me in securing prospective clients. Than again, what should I have expected for $22.95?
Joe Devon
Jan 15, 2019 rated it liked it
If you are already a rockstar consultant, a lot of the tricks Alan mentions are quite doable. The hard part is writing 60 books and becoming a world class world speaker. THEN you can demand high figures and talk to CEOs the way Alan does without being ridiculed. I'm just not so sure it's good advice for the average consultant.
Randolf Saint-Leger
This is the book that I needed to read!

The enjoyment I get from helping companies reach their goals has always been part of my DNA. However, this book opened my eyes to the endless possibilities of being a consultant.
Scott Wozniak
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I passed on reading this book a few times because it looked like one of the many books out there for absolute beginners. But this book turned out to be for those who have already gotten going as consultants. And it's full of tactical advice and ideas on positioning yourself with the clients. It's not useful to learn how to consult. But it had some great thoughts on how to market/position yourself.

Some examples:

He shows a continuum from hourly billing to project based to a retainer. The retainer
Brian
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
This book was recommended to me by a friend as I started down the path of becoming a solo consultant. There's some useful advice in here. The two topics I found most useful are the proposal writing section, and the part about pricing based on value. The latter completely aligns with value-based selling techniques I've learned about elsewhere. I felt like the last third of the book dragged on and ran out of steam--but maybe that's just because of where I am in the process.

I wonder, as a brand new
Alejandro I Sanoja
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you are looking for resources and advice to build a successful consulting business, this is the book you need to read.

Alan breaks down the process and gives a detailed explanation on how to take care of the fundamentals of the consulting business. Everything from how to attract and close clients, how to deliver value, how to build meaningful relationships, creating proposals, and much more!

Some of my highlights:

"The heart of a proposal is the conceptual agreement on the objectives (outcomes
Muhammed Umar
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: consulting, business
Its a good book that details the planning right till the execution and sealing the deal of whatever project the consultant has. This is a must read book for any consultant/would-be consultant. There are some pretty useful tips mentioned in this book that is applicable even if you may not be a consultant. However, I strongly urge if you are not a consultant you may borrow this book and skim it through it to see if there any thing that this book may help to address in your endeavors.

Else due to i
Kevin
The topic was generously treated and the audio version certainly informed me early enough about its focus.

As an internal consultant for a large corporation I found some of the principles employed translatable to my context but the focus on monetizing seemed much heavier on me towards external consultants building a business personna than on metrics-gathering, documenting, and using reporting to justify the value of the influence, expertise, and counsel delivered.

If you're looking to start a con
Bruno Rio
Nov 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Million dollar consulting is "How To" enhance your consuktancy approach. It does not provide any guidance or methodologies in any kind of consultancy approach. For me it was a let down.

Nevertheless, it does quite deliver some very interesting and in handy tips. I'd consider it a 4 star book if it was shorter and more straight to the point. The author ends up talking a little bit too much of his own success a bit too much for my sake.
Avi
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
An excellent book, practical on many levels. I will be keeping it close by to my desk. For those in management consulting, it is on the level of Patrick Lencioni's books, regarding what it says about the how what, and why of management work and dealing with the numerous aspects of running a boutique consulting firm.
Dr Dinesh
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book is well, like a textbook - and you can relate to it as a consultant with significant years of experience. And to that extent, I believe that I'd go back to it again, whenever I just wanted a checklist to see whether I am doing all the things right :)
A really good investment if you are getting into consultative selling.
Rahi Jain
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I picked this book to read about consulting. Very through book with complete lifecycle of solo consulting business.

Very few books handle complete area with depth in a single book.

He is a visionary with value based consulting but there are so many actionable like proposal building, market gravity, digital usage, team handling to finances.

Complete book for solo consulting.
Katya Ryabova
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
Second star for a few tidbits of practical advice that I found useful (i.e. value-based pricing and structuring proposals). Absolutely hated the tone of the book, the incessant self-congratulations laced with elitism, and Luddite footnotes.
Jim Tincher
Jul 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
While I do own a million dollar consulting company, this book nonetheless gave me a ton to think about. I've read some of his other books, but this is that standard. A must-read for anybody considering consulting.
Glen Leavens
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ask for more and get more.
Dorotea
Perhaps useful if you are a freelancer, but honestly I have no idea how I ended up reading this.
Christopher S. Hope
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent information.
Thomas
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book for consultants, greatly enjoyed this. Full of fantastic lessons for any freelance consultant (or any freelancer).
Connor
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
The quality of advice was good. (Strongly Agree)
The author got to the point. (Undecided)
The advice was widely applicable. (Agree)
The advisory goal of the book was met. (Strongly Agree)
Steven Denny
Apr 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Must read for those in the consulting and/or trusted advisor field.

Alan provides a candid insiders view and stresses how to elevate your practice.
Clint Gilliam
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I felt it was a good book about the business of consulting, giving some great insights into running a solo consulting business.

However, I would have liked to have heard more about some of the details of the consulting he does. He talks about the relationships he has with clients, but other than a few small examples, it is all very general. He talks about coaching executives and being on retainers for executives, but then doesn't talk about the content of that consulting that actually provides va
Antonio
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: consulting
This is my assessment of the book Milion Dollar Consulting by Alan Weiss according to my 6 criteria:
1. Related to practice - 4 stars

« previous 1 3 next »

• Flawless Consulting: A Guide to Getting Your Expertise Used
  • Who: The A Method for Hiring
  • Traction
  • Book Yourself Solid: The Fastest, Easiest, and Most Reliable System for Getting More Clients Than You Can Handle Even If You Hate Marketing and Selling
  • Built to Sell: Creating a Business That Can Thrive Without You
  • Obviously Awesome: How to Nail Product Positioning so Customers Get It, Buy It, Love It
  • Expert Secrets: The Underground Playbook for Finding Your Message, Building a Tribe, and Changing the World
  • Managing The Professional Service Firm
  • Unscripted: Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Entrepreneurship
  • Nine Lies About Work: A Freethinking Leader’s Guide to the Real World
  • The Millionaire Messenger: Make a Difference and a Fortune Sharing Your Advice
  • Company of One: Why Staying Small Is the Next Big Thing for Business
  • The Million-Dollar, One-Person Business: Make Great Money. Work the Way You Like. Have the Life You Want.
  • The New Strategic Selling: The Unique Sales System Proven Successful by the World's Best Companies
  • The Referral Engine: Teaching Your Business to Market Itself
  • Perennial Seller: The Art of Making and Marketing Work That Lasts
  • How to Be a Great Boss
  • The Road Less Stupid: Advice from the Chairman of the Board

News & Interviews

“You grow based on exploiting strengths, not by acclimating to weaknesses.” 2 likes
“Abraham Maslow observed, “When the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.” 2 likes